PDA

View Full Version : EK ATH to EWR

yada.yada.yada
23rd Jan 2017, 09:26
Emirates opens Athens ? Newark service from Mar 2017 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/271003/emirates-opens-athens-newark-service-from-mar-2017/)

fliion
23rd Jan 2017, 09:36
Let's see how this goes down with the new Sec at DOT once DL/UA/AA lobbyists have a sit down.

speedbirdhopeful1
23rd Jan 2017, 09:38
Looks like decent timing. Can EWR take a 380? How long before they'll be given an opportunity to upgrade their infrastructure to take it? Will be interesting to see how this pans out flying into Trumps's home city in competition with US carriers.

donpizmeov
23rd Jan 2017, 10:08
No US carrier flies the route. So is it competition? A good trip for the Boeing fellas.

speedbirdhopeful1
23rd Jan 2017, 10:12
No US carrier flies the route. So is it competition? A good trip for the Boeing fellas.

From the article -
Currently, United and Delta operates Newark – Athens and New York JFK – Athens route (respectively) on summer seasonal basis. Delta converted this service from year-round to summer seasonal in October 2012

donpizmeov
23rd Jan 2017, 10:17
Ok. They compete a few weeks a year. I was wrong.

fliion
23rd Jan 2017, 11:24
Reuters predicting push back

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-emirates-airline-fifthfreedom-idUSKBN15716K

Kapitanleutnant
23rd Jan 2017, 11:39
So... instead of "only flying 100 hours" a month, guess the 777 boys will be up to 105 average now. Amazing........

And Newark is not Trump's home city... just fyi.

K

notapilot15
23rd Jan 2017, 14:11
Without CM, Timmy will rush A380 deliveries and send those to all sorts of places. Only 100hrs still a possibility for T7 crew. This will continue until owner loses shirt on their back. Lets hope they are not dipping into personal savings.

BDD
23rd Jan 2017, 18:41
WOW!!!! CM is out already?

BDD

Matvey
24th Jan 2017, 02:47
Looks like decent timing. Can EWR take a 380? How long before they'll be given an opportunity to upgrade their infrastructure to take it? Will be interesting to see how this pans out flying into Trumps's home city in competition with US carriers.
No 380s at EWR. It was never in Continental/United's plans, so the airport operator didn't do the runway or terminal upgrades there. They did the Code F upgrades at JFK, and told airlines if they wanted to bring the whales to New York, they were free to do so at Kennedy.

TwinJock
24th Jan 2017, 08:45
Zagreb on the cards as well.....

luchtzak
25th Jan 2017, 11:39
Partnership for open & fair skies responds furiously: Americans furious over Emirates' fifth freedom flight from Dubai to Newark via Athens - Luchtzak.be (http://www.luchtzak.be/organisations/partnership-for-open-fair-skies/americans-furious-emirates-fifth-freedom-flight-dubai-newark-via-athens/)

donpizmeov
25th Jan 2017, 13:03
Yawn. There is a surprise.

glofish
25th Jan 2017, 14:13
Agree, no surprise here! Just as there is no surprise about EK's answer by TC's pal P.G.:

If America and President Trump would like some of the expertise from Dubai, I'm sure we'd be pleased to assist

That must go down their throats like nectar and honey ..... :ugh:

donpizmeov
25th Jan 2017, 14:58
Yep...as bad as each other.

fatbus
26th Jan 2017, 01:42
The world revolves around the US legacy carriers! NOT!

The Outlaw
26th Jan 2017, 02:20
Fatbus,

...nor does it revolve around EK and the ME3.

fatbus
26th Jan 2017, 07:47
Couldn't agree more!

Talparc
28th Jan 2017, 14:49
https://www.thestreet.com/story/13963645/2/note-to-trump-if-you-back-u-s-labor-then-block-emirates-athens-newark-flight.html

virginexcess
29th Jan 2017, 08:04
You might note that UAE and Saudi were left off his recent list of banned countries, despite 911 being perpetrated by UAE and Saudi citizens. Pehaps it's just a coincidence that the Prez has business interests in both countries.

Una Due Tfc
29th Jan 2017, 08:10
There must be quite a few nationals from those countries flying for you lot down there no? Crewing just got even more complicated I'm guessing

birdy340
3rd Feb 2017, 18:35
A very good movement from EK.

g-code
3rd Feb 2017, 23:44
We will see if this sticks for EK. It's seasonal for United because the loads go off a cliff after summer is over.

Gonna need a lot of olives and feta in the cargo hold in the winter months.

Talparc
13th Feb 2017, 18:01
Friend,

I wanted to let you know that last week we began to see exciting traction in our fight to enforce the Open Skies agreements and protect U.S. jobs.

Last Thursday, President Trump called a meeting at the White House with U.S. airline CEOs. He was not only aware of subsidies by foreign competitors, but he also firmly said he wanted to help U.S. carriers compete. We see this as great progress, and we want to say thank you because President Trump said that he got the message on Open Skies from you.

“A lot of that competition is subsidized by governments, big league,” said President Trump. “I’ve heard that complaint from different people in this room. Probably about one hour after I got elected, I was inundated with calls from your industry and many other industries, because it’s a very unfair situation.”

We need your help to keep making the case to the new Administration that the future of our aviation industry and hundreds of thousands of American jobs are at stake. We have a great new video that you can email or tweet to the White House and share with your family and friends.

Join us in reaching out to President Trump to call for swift action to enforce our agreements and stop the Gulf carriers and their government sponsors from getting away with breaking the rules. Share the video two ways:

Click here to tweet at the White House: US jobs are at risk due to #OpenSkies violations. @WhiteHouse, let's put an end to Gulf carrier cheating. Video: Stop the Cheating - Partnership for Open and Fair Skies » Partnership for Open and Fair Skies (http://bit.ly/2kk7CQU)
Email the White House here
Now is the time to amplify what others are saying about unfair competition by the Gulf carriers, too. Here’s what Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner's "Washington Secrets" columnist, had to say about our fight. President of the Air Line Pilots Association Tim Canoll wrote this great op-ed in the Daily Caller. Also, I joined CNN International’s Richard Quest to showcase how enforcing Open Skies will protect over 300,000 U.S. aviation jobs.

Your support is moving this issue, and we will keep you updated as we continue to fight for Open and Fair Skies!

Sincerely,

Jill Zuckman
Chief Campaign Spokesperson

Talparc
13th Feb 2017, 19:38
Latest Article on Open Skies

Crying the Blues at Emirates and Etihad | The Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/crying-the-blues-at-emirates-and-etihad_us_58a20358e4b0e172783a9f18)

Emma Royds
14th Feb 2017, 07:33
Talparc

Be careful for what you wish for.

As EK employees, it might be in our favour to ensure that the status quo remains? With wafer thin yields and diminishing profits, the last thing we need is a curtailment to the planned or current network, which would be even worse.

I have little time for senior management either but I personally wish that their bloody nose comes from elsewhere.

Saltaire
14th Feb 2017, 09:09
The problem is that the well written article forwarded by Talparc speaks nothing but the truth. The ever expanding 3M will come to an end at some point and it appears to be soon. In that, we are all in for some rough times. These people are brutal when times are good! Can't imagine the cut backs when things get genuinely bad.

Talparc
15th Mar 2017, 11:36
http://www.openandfairskies.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/03.06.17_NJNY-Open-Skies-Letter-Sires.pdf

Aluminium shuffler
15th Mar 2017, 17:45
Enforcing the Open Skies agreement fairly? Seriously? What about the huge advantages the US3 had under Chapter 11 for over a decade? Were they banned from everyone else's airspace? Typical US protectionism and hypocrisy.

shedsd330
15th Mar 2017, 21:09
Please tell me which US Big 3 was working under Chapter 11 for a decade?

what_goes_up
16th Mar 2017, 08:25
It's not that a single airline was under Chapter 11 for over a decade. But over a long period of time they have filed and been protected by Chapter 11 which is an absolute no no outside North America.

Continental Airlines: SEP 1983 to JUN 1986
US Airways: AUG 2002 to MAR 2003 and SEP 2004 to SEP 2005
Delta Air Lines: SEP 2004 to SEP 2005
American Airlines NOW 2011 to DEC 2013

clear to land
16th Mar 2017, 13:11
If Ch 11 didn't exist-which effectively stops Darwin theory and is unique to the USA- then the survivors would be stronger and richer-and who knows maybe even able to compete with non-US carriers. Whilst Ch 11 exists the US will never compete on a level field-look at the number of British airlines, European Flag Carriers and major Australian airline that all ceased to exist due to not having Chapter 11-which is how business is supposed to work. US airline executives are loudly crying wolf with any protest against EK (note I am being carrier specific here as the Qatar CEO has stated he doesn't care about profit-an altogether different animal).