PDA

View Full Version : EK the more things change

falconeasydriver
15th Jan 2017, 12:10
A very recent chance encounter with an old EK mate in the exec lounge in Asia bought an interesting rumour too light, and in the spirit of the colour and flavour of my ex employer, I thought I'd share.
It seems, at least according to my mate, according to what the fresh 4 something staff number training Captain who told him, that, EK are going to "experiment" with a commuting roster. It's just for trainers thought, don't want the plebs getting thoughts above their station, and only for those who have been specially selected.
Now after our collective eye rolling and a beer or two later, we both concluded it's merely more BS, however, who will be taken in? and who will stay just that tinsey wee bit longer in the forlorn hope it will get better?
Over to you guys, especially any of you "specially" selected ones.

puff m'call
15th Jan 2017, 13:12
Bull Sh1t as you say.

White Knight
15th Jan 2017, 13:37
High on the BS level there Falcon...

birdieonfirst
15th Jan 2017, 18:59
Quite true. Spoken by our illustrious leader, Capt. Henry himself at the first Standards Meeting he attended last spring.

However, probably on the back burner at the moment due to the chaos after EK521

Hopefully coming sooner rather than later...

If it's for a "select few" (probably), not a bad idea. Got to start somewhere and collect some data to see how it works.

How can this POSSIBLY be construed as a bad thing, if it finally happens?

:ok: BOF

flaphandlemover
15th Jan 2017, 23:24
H D said in our meeting, they are trying to push it, as it would make sense to keep and attract new people.
But EK doesn't want it. They still try to push it.

TwinJock
16th Jan 2017, 02:13
BS at the highest level. Commuting roster with duty limited rosters and minimum days OFF I ask you........:D

flaphandlemover
16th Jan 2017, 05:26
Will never happen.. and who knows how long HD is in for...

He also said.."there is no Unions"

fatbus
16th Jan 2017, 05:52
Part time ( month on month off ) was proposed by MM but later rejected from a higher floor. That was 6 months ago.

JammedStab
16th Jan 2017, 12:21
Part time would make me consider it. Otherwise, I will just stay at my commuting job while EK gets closer to cancelling flights.

BANANASBANANAS
17th Jan 2017, 09:43
I just can't see part time ever happening in EK. Look at the disputes CX has had over basings and the associated arguments over labor laws in the basing countries being applicable or not to crews resident there but contracted to a non resident employer.

EK has already had a little taster of that experience with groundstaff in Japan and I really cannot see it opening up, what I am sure it would view as, a contractual Pandora's box.

The savings in accommodation, education costs etc would undoubtedly be significant, but I think the reduction in control and the possibility of contractual disputes being resolved outside of UAE jurisdiction makes this a non starter until or unless there is a seismic change of culture from the top down.

The Turtle
17th Jan 2017, 10:02
One look at the "dedicated cargo crew" tells you all you need to know

donpizmeov
17th Jan 2017, 11:17
Shared a car with a new trainer. He was begged to join the training department. He was also promised a commuting roster in the near future to get him to stay. Went quite when I suggested he talked BS. Wonder if it was the same Fellow.

littlejet
17th Jan 2017, 13:43
Well it might be true
did he mention who begged him? Wife maybe? And she probably promised to go home and he can see the kids if he commutes...
Its all about the perspective

sluggums
17th Jan 2017, 19:02
Classic EK smoke and mirrors. Chuck some bait out there, let the rumour mill do its bit, and everyone will hang around for a while waiting for the miracle that'll never materialise... SSDD.