PDA

View Full Version : Transitions between FJ Types

Treble one
14th Jan 2017, 15:49
Just noticed that the new OC of the USAF Thunderbirds (Lt Col Jason Heard) is actually an F-15E driver (as is one of the other team members).

Given they fly the F-16, and not like a lot of other AF Demonstration Squadrons a training aircraft, he will have little or no experience on the type, and hence will need to convert.

Am I right in assuming this would be a standard conversion course (similar to say what a Tornado pilot would undertake to convert to Typhoon) or would their be additional 'role specific' conversion required?

Just to highlight what I mean, would they do a full conversion ( i.e. as if he was going to fly on the front line) or would it mainly be handling based.....

Just curious-of course not so much of a problem over this side of the pond as all our Reds will have flown the Hawk in the training system.

Rhino power
15th Jan 2017, 02:07
I imagine it would be a type conversion course only? Why add the unnecessary complications of 'role' training? If the pilot were suddenly needed for operational duties I expect a quick refresher course on the F-15E and a return to his previous squadron would be the order of the day, since getting up to speed and fully qualified to fly the F-16 in combat would take an unacceptable length of time by contrast?
Others in a far more knowledgeable position will no doubt be along to comment shortly...

-RP

MACH2NUMBER
15th Jan 2017, 16:30
In the US it is fairly common to make quick transition courses. In the 80s I went from the vertical twin jet to the F15 on exchange, a short transition course was followed immediately by an instructor pilot course, before an instructional tour. I would not say it was easy, but it obviously can be done, I believe all RAF exchange officers made the successful transition to F15 IP.
As an aside Ken Hare visited while I was on my exchange tour and was shocked to find me as a QWI (not QFI) teaching ab-initios to fly the Eagle.

Treble one
15th Jan 2017, 19:32
Thanks RP and MACH2

I guess one of the things I was thinking about is the nature of his role- i.e.precision flying required in leading a demonstration team-and the number of hours on type that would make you comfortable to be able to do this?

Regards
TO

MACH2NUMBER
15th Jan 2017, 19:42
The essential quality to fly as a display formation leader is smooth repeatable flying. The rest of the formation must know exactly what is coming next. The type of aircraft is semi-irrevalent as long as this basic skill is successfully transferred to the new aircraft type.

Treble one
15th Jan 2017, 20:29
Absolutely M2N-I was just curious to know roughly how many hours on type that would take?

I believe that everyone joining the Reds for example goes off on a Hawk refresher course prior to starting Winter training (unless maybe they've come from the Hawk)-and in any case they will all have 100 hours? plus to start with from their flying training.

Cheers
TO