PDA

View Full Version : Who can fly a King Air?

jsuters
25th Nov 2001, 22:53
41, Frozen ATPL, 1300 hours, 3yrs instructing, do you think anyone would ever let me fly a King Air ...... or shall I give up now and wait until I win the lottery? don't want airline, just want King Air!

Flysundone
26th Nov 2001, 00:53
Old Chook,

Join the club.

There are numerous charter companies operating King Airs on the British Register,
CEGA, Manhattan etc. Trouble is they all want you to have the Type Rating before they will consider you.

Don't think your age or experience would be a problem.

Best of luck.

HomerSimpson
26th Nov 2001, 02:32
I think you would have a better chance with age on your side. Most King Air operators usually get the hour builder/hopper in for a year or two then they are (or were) off to the airlines.

If you could approach the companies and tell them that you would self type rate if a guaranteed job offer is on the table and that you have no interest in airline flying. Im sure most operators with your hours would be VERY interested.

Best of Luck

Homer

STN737-200
26th Nov 2001, 23:11
Hello,

Well if you are talking about king air ratings I would recommend South Africa. It is very cheap to get one out there. Beleive me the place is crawling with them. If you are interested let me know and I will give you the details.

Joaquín
27th Nov 2001, 01:35
FR514,

I'm interested and would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Say again s l o w l y
27th Nov 2001, 02:25
It would be interesting to find out about a type on a kingair in S.A. Now that would be a good holiday! :) :D

PingPong
27th Nov 2001, 06:06
Hi there Joaquin!

If you are still thinking about the SA work permit, write to me again so I can do my best to dissuade you!!! (You have my e-mail address).

Yes, you can get a King Air rating in SA for much less than you can in the UK. There are several operators who will take your money.

But will this get you the job you seek? I considered this route, and all the companies I was in touch with regarding work, and the people in the know who I spoke to, told me to forget it.

The point is that a King Air rating, as such, can be gained in a matter of days. An employer is not going to employ you because you have a rating; he either likes you and sees potential, you have something else to offer him, or you have experience on type.

How do you get experience on type? Well, the employer either likes you and sees potential, or you have something else to offer him. If you get a job offer, the rating can then be gained in a few days.

There is no substitute for the long hard slog of doing the rounds, making contacts, visiting etc etc.

I considered doing the King Air rating myself, took the advice I was given and didn't, and am now flying King Airs!

A friend also heeded the advice and has just been offered a position on a Do28. A King Air rating wouldn't have done her much good!

Good luck oldchook. I hope you get to fly the King Air. Don't worry about your age. I got my 'ticket' to fly commercially at age 45 (last year!).

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: PingPong ]

Chris2
27th Nov 2001, 20:35
Ping Pong....... is that DWC by chance ?
Regards
Dutchie (AS2)

PingPong
27th Nov 2001, 21:51
Hey, Dutchie2 - small world eh?

nickos37
27th Nov 2001, 22:13
FR514
I'd be interested to know these places in SA where you can get a King Air type rating.Would you let me know,my e mail is : [email protected].
Thanks

Wee Weasley Welshman
28th Nov 2001, 23:54
I have just told a good mate of mine to advertise a Kingair job over on Aircrew Notices against PPRuNe SOP's but what the hell there are so many guys loosing jobs at the moment and this job was never destined to advertised anyway...

MAX
30th Nov 2001, 14:10
Ive just applied for a King Air job with a private operator a few days ago. Come interview time I will need to convince him of my dedication. Would therefore appreciate any info on where I can do type rating, costs time etc. As he'll be paying for it (hopefully) it would be nice to point him, and me, in the right direction.

Appreciated,

MAX :cool:

highflying
30th Nov 2001, 23:15
A lady called Val I can't remember her surname at Lanseria did my King Air rating. I did mine a few years ago but a friends brother did on a little while go I think it was about 40000 rand about 3500-4000 quid. The place was called Lanseria Flight Center. The phone number in the book is +27116592810 The problem with getting a king air job is everyone whats hours on type and insurance is quite sticky. E-mail me if you want any other information. Hope that helped.

FRIDAY
1st Dec 2001, 04:08
I spotted this website for the action air service in the caribbean, San Maarten to be exact, they offer the king air 200 sim check and on completion of that if you wish to do hour building their offer seems to good to be through. For 1hr rental its $795.00 BUT for 20hr blocks it is $1998.00.
Now to me it seems brilliant, you could probably bargain yourself a 100hr block on this turbo prop for good price.
If anyone can see any problem with this please inform me, as I am seriously considering it. null

jsuters
6th Dec 2001, 19:07
Hi all, thanks for some interesting information and lots of encouragement, well done getting where you are PingPong. anyway, I will think about all the advice and work on making my CV interesting! see ya

south coast
6th Dec 2001, 21:48
there are several places at lanseria, sa, that will do you a king air rating....king air services, foster aero, laseria flight centre, airwork to name a few...i did the 200 rating there and then went onto fly for a south african company, on contract up in africa...yep, the place is full of them.