PDA

View Full Version : Random Recollection Needs Scratching...

charliegolf
5th Jan 2017, 11:21
Parachute cord- how strong was it, allegedly? The CSROs (and I was one!) used to quote a figure, but I can't recall it. Was it 300lbs?

CG

NutLoose
5th Jan 2017, 11:33
Up to 550 lbs (249.48 kg)

US Army Mil-Spec Paracord 550 Para Cord Military Camping Paracute Bivi Rope 15m | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-Army-Mil-Spec-Paracord-550-Para-Cord-Military-Camping-Paracute-Bivi-Rope-15m-/191580363861?var=&hash=item2c9b145c55:m:mhmYMwd05P8Gs7BIbocYqIw)

charliegolf
5th Jan 2017, 11:36
Cheers Nutty. You saddo!

Kiddin, Ta.

CG

NutLoose
5th Jan 2017, 11:38
Though there is paracord and there is paracord, if you check evilbay some are not as strong.

UK stuff was possibly less

This really is the best Paracord in the World. We import hundreds of thousands of feet every month from a top US manufacturer and it is a real cut above British Cord.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/550-PARACORD-US-GSA-COMPLIANT-Olive-Green-50-NOT-A-CHINESE-FAKE-/250646710348?hash=item3a5bb5484c:g:iswAAOxye2lSUuNc

albatross
5th Jan 2017, 13:42
We always called it 550 cord.
there was also a breaking strength for the individual threads inside.
Can not recall what it was ...we used it rigging static line parachute rigs. 80-100 lbs? perhaps less. Long time ago.

Unfortunately there are a lot of products on the market that call themselves parachute cord. While they look like it they are not.

I also recall the parachutes we started jumping with were made by ( I kid not ) the CHEEPO Parachute Co. - a real convidence builder. "OK Who's first?" "crickets."

Wander00
5th Jan 2017, 13:45
And the next arcane question is......

Pontius Navigator
5th Jan 2017, 13:59
Remember, in days of yore when the Service kit was the best and civilian kit was not as good.

Was that ever true?

charliegolf
5th Jan 2017, 17:21
And the next arcane question is......

Why do people ask smart questions on threads they don't want to contribute to?:E

CG

Pontius Navigator
5th Jan 2017, 17:42
CG, were you shown how to break para cord with the back of a Wilkie knife.

Can't remember the MACR's name but he pull the line almost bar taut then one swift blow and it snapped.

charliegolf
5th Jan 2017, 18:48
PN, yes I do remember that clearly. Demo'd it many times to AAITC and Nav studes at Finningly. I was Hill Safety Officer at 6FTS for a bit.

CG

Like This - Do That
6th Jan 2017, 01:04
I can "out sad" Nutloose ....

Type III Nylon cord breaking strain 550 lb. Comes in a roll weighing 5lb and has NSN 4020-00-246-0688.

Once a rockdropper, always a rockdropper I guess ....

ian16th
6th Jan 2017, 10:34
Remember, in days of yore when the Service kit was the best and civilian kit was not as good.

Was that ever true?

Definitely true about RAF towels!

When we got married and my new boss discovered the quality of the standard RAF issue towel, I was ordered to Clothing Stores to acquire more.

Another area of good quality and function, but not style was MQ furniture and accouterments. In particular kitchen kit.

teeteringhead
6th Jan 2017, 10:45
CG, were you shown how to break para cord with the back of a Wilkie knife. Was also once shown how to do it by friction!

[Needs 4 hands] 2 hands hold the cord taut, other 2 loop another bit of cord twice over it and pull both ends - left right left right like a bodging lathe - and miraculously it breaks/burns/melts.

(conscious the description is not good, but I know what I mean!)

charliegolf
6th Jan 2017, 10:59
Teeters, I don't remember that one (well I think I don't!), but the description was perfectly clear!

I ask ed the Q because of this...

Dangling skier rescued from Utah chair-lift - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38516109)

... and a comment on another thread along the lines, "That must be some seriously strong paracord..."

CG

Pontius Navigator
6th Jan 2017, 13:01
Ian16th, of course. Aircrew watches another as many didn't even have one
Same with drawers, cotton, cellular or some such as underpants were also novel to some.

At least one pair of my second set of black socks lasted 40 years.

Arclite01
6th Jan 2017, 16:34
Aircrew socks

I'm currently wearing a pair that were issued in 1993. A bit threadbare now but still going......................

and actually an aircrew Tshirt that's doing OK - very dark green though - not like the current issue....................

Arc

Pontius Navigator
6th Jan 2017, 17:02
Arclite, definitely the earlier white socks, ribbed and plain wool, wore out quickly and shrank and dried slowly.

The wool blue aircrew shirt was vastly superior to the 'smarter' green polo replacement which inherited to problems of the white socks.

Cornish Jack
7th Jan 2017, 11:45
"The wool blue aircrew shirt was vastly superior"
When they were first introduced they were supplied by Van Heusen and were super quality. Needless to say some bean counter decided that such quality was too much for us and the contract was passed on to Faulats of Belfast. The turnover of shirts became a flood. One wash and the shirt became 3 sizes smaller!! Even worse, I was issued with a set of 3 in which the collars were made from two different material batches, joined in the middle!!:eek: The results from those in the wash were extraordinary - two different shrinkage rates. Eventually, even the b-cs got the message and they improved but never as good as the original.:sad:

Royalistflyer
7th Jan 2017, 15:29
I remember my brother (also in the mob) handed his (original issue) shirt to a Chinese tailor in Hong Kong and ordered a set - got them back, meticulous copies beautifully made - lasted for years.

Pontius Navigator
7th Jan 2017, 19:00
CJ, like the cold weather gauntlets. Very comfortable and warm but issued left and right and from different contracts and leathers.

newt
8th Jan 2017, 07:44
G-plan furniture! Never as good as the old stuff but still own the card table!

Wander00
8th Jan 2017, 09:09
About 34 years ago I acquired an ex MQ carving fork - still using it, best ever

Krystal n chips
8th Jan 2017, 10:43
" Remember, in days of yore when the Service kit was the best and civilian kit was not as good.

Was that ever true?

Erm, actually, as this thread is getting suitably nostalgic, yes it was.

Enter.... the well known can opener......an item which, possibly to this day, causes alarm and consternation in M.o.D Procurement circles......it was not only cheap, it was also..... functional..... and worked as intended....:E

binbrook
8th Jan 2017, 11:03
I fear I digress but wasn't it normal when 'marching out' to find out how much of the breakages allowance was left, and then select items to make up the full amount?

langleybaston
8th Jan 2017, 14:10
Certainly was.

But am I the only one to accidentally [and I really do mean without malicious intent] acquire a series of tea/coffee spoons from Messes all over the world?

Being a non-sugar man, at a stand-up do, any time a cup/saucer/spoon combo [or indeed some arty-farty snack on a plate with any cutlery] the only place for an unwanted noshing tong was the top pocket of lounge suit or DJ.

Some nice crested ones among the collection somewhere, often discovered only on the next wearing or indeed the next posting.

The shame of it.

superplum
8th Jan 2017, 14:39
" Remember, in days of yore when the Service kit was the best and civilian kit was not as good.

Was that ever true?

Erm, actually, as this thread is getting suitably nostalgic, yes it was.

Enter.... the well known can opener......an item which, possibly to this day, causes alarm and consternation in M.o.D Procurement circles......it was not only cheap, it was also..... functional..... and worked as intended....:E
Still are in my kitchen - can't be beaten! Some were souveniers from my time in Borneo 65-66. Who was Morfed anyway?
:ok:

Pontius Navigator
8th Jan 2017, 20:27
I fear I digress but wasn't it normal when 'marching out' to find out how much of the breakages allowance was left, and then select items to make up the full amount?
When we marched in there was a number of items not in inventory, one was a very large cracked mixing bowl. Oddly none survived our 6 month tenure. We got an odd look from the Barrack Warden but just shrugged.

It finally split after 30 years.

dragartist
8th Jan 2017, 20:54
Only just picked up on this thread: Lots of para cord experts around. 500 lbs sounds about right for the majority of rigging lines but it really is not that simple. I have the tail end of a roll of 303 lb used for weak links or break away ties used for stores dropping. in the end 3 turns of 303 became standard for 1 tons. there were variations.
Now then when we went metric! all these rounded numbers became even more rounded. were we talking breaking strength at any particular strain rate or working load when used for restraint? what about capstan effect or knot efficiency. There was another factor I was briefly introduced to but I can't recall right now. certainly came into play when we were trying to do sums for the Kevlar cord three ring release. Some more exotic materials were also used for parachute lines such as dacron or zytel. some were very difficult to cut and even blunted the blades in some of our pyrotechnic cutters.
The point is that not many went back to the source specifications and standards most if it was myth. the good thing is that all cord brought on charge for critical applications had to be tested before accepting the batch. unlike metals the variations were often startling. Nylon being hydroscopic accounted for some of the variation. what people did not realise that the increase in moisture content made the material stronger. so much for storing in the dry. Keep it away from UV light which is most harmful.

ShyTorque
8th Jan 2017, 20:56
G-plan furniture! Never as good as the old stuff but still own the card table!
Same here! I paid £10 for it, brand new, decades ago.

But to this day it's never had a game of cards on it!

Got the drinks trolley, too.

Pontius Navigator
8th Jan 2017, 21:02
Only just binned the card table but the tea trolley!

Got it for £3, stripped it with a Swiss Army knife, applied PU varnish - perfect and the sprung wheels over carpet door grips.