PDA

View Full Version : Calling all ex-Wessex personnel

Lee Howard
2nd Jan 2017, 16:33
Calling all ex-Wessex personnel (inter alia, 18, 22, 28, 60, 72, 78, 84, 103 Sqns, SARTU, SAREW, WSF, Muharraq SAR & The Queen's Flight; 700, 706, 707, 737, 771, 772, 781, 814, 815, 819, 820, 826, 829, 845, 846, 847, 848 NAS; ETPS & A&AEE; and any ex-Bristow people for Mk.60s etc etc).

I am currently writing the follow-up to my previous Sea King HU Mk.5 (2014) and Lynx HAS Mk.3 & HMA Mk.8 (2016) Haynes Owners Workshop Manuals, this time on the venerable Wessex.

Unlike the other two, however, this book will cover all British marks - RAF and RN.

To that end I would be pleased to hear from any ex air or ground crew from their days operating the aircraft who might have some hitherto unseen photographs of interest and/or feel they might like to contribute some of their tales of what it was like to fly and maintain (my own Wessex maintenance experience being limited to training airframes during my apprenticeship!).

If anyone thinks they might like to help, please send me a PM for more details.

Many thanks in advance.

Lee

Nimman
2nd Jan 2017, 18:39
Don't forget 78 Sqn.

DunWinching
2nd Jan 2017, 18:55
At last the Double Datum Overspeed Trip Governor will get the recognition it deserves. And the Hydraulic Fuses? Those were the days....

Lee Howard
2nd Jan 2017, 19:14
It was a very rough non-exhaustive list off the top of my head. I'd overlooked 28 Sqn as well...now corrected!

peterperfect
2nd Jan 2017, 19:56
Good project, looking forward to reading it. I'll dig out some Wx HAS Mk III photos when next home. I'm sure you didn't forget 737 NAS on the main exhaustive list. pp.

Senior Pilot
2nd Jan 2017, 21:24
I would suggest opening a thread over on Rotorheads, too.

ps 826 NAS needed in your listing

Alison Conway
2nd Jan 2017, 23:33
And what about 103 Sqn? They operated Wessex 1972-1975 at RAF Tengah in Singapore.

Rocking Grate
3rd Jan 2017, 06:32
The Wonderful Wessex, a machine which magically converted jet fuel into noise, vibration, electricity, friction, heat and cold with a little bit of energy left for the accomplishment of flight. It was made from a combination of unobtainium, corrodium and Tough Stuff.
I proved that it indeed was made of Tough Stuff on many occasions, but notably when a bunch of jolly naval aviators invited me, not being of the Senior Service, to attempt to land their Mk5 helicopter, which I was supposedly in charge of, on 1 Spot on the otherwise empty deck of the original and much loved Rusty B. This would have normally have been quite simple, except for the fact that the weather had precluded flying by the wise members of said Senior Service and they were not going to miss out on their little jape by allowing me the pleasure of a more comfortable landing on 4 or 5 spot. Hey ho, I am still here.... but there is more....
Such as. How to organise oneself an early lunch by casting the tracking flag on to the hangar roof by using only one tied down Wessex and its associated and by now mangled main rotor blade tips. Or. How to remove the tail rotor Gust Lock without having to bother climbing up on to the pylon. This involves engaging the main rotor first, which allows the 3 to 4 kg of Twangy Metal Gust Lock to disappear at an exceedingly high rate of RPM's and knots. Or. How to check out the flying properties of a Riley motor car by using only a few wire slings, an 8 foot strop, 1500 feet of unoccupied airspace and a Wessex Mk2. A truly wonderful and magnificent aircraft much loved by its crews.
Sadly, I cannot PM you, so if you wish any more, particularly with reference to the more esoteric technical bits, please PM me and we can go from there.
PS. We could start with the amazing windscreen wiper system, that did many things but this did not include wiping windows. There is so much more. RG

Senior Pilot
3rd Jan 2017, 08:27
Lee, there are many years of Wessex reminiscing here: What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it? (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/123915-what-about-wessex-makes-people-so-fond.html)

NutLoose
3rd Jan 2017, 10:15
Seems to have forgotten HOCF, 240 OCU, the Shawbury mob and several others too.

Just remember to put the stay back in before you remove the second engine, because lifting a jack up onto the decking to jack the nose back up to allow it to fit was a pain :p

DunWinching
3rd Jan 2017, 12:22
Let us take a moment to contemplate the Electrically Wound Clockwork Start Relay. I had forgotten the Barking Wiper System. Nothing wrong with self parking by bleeding pressure from the number 1 flying control circuit?

Lee Howard
3rd Jan 2017, 14:00
All,

Many thanks for the replies. And just to reiterate, the list above was NOT exhaustive! It was merely off the top of my head without having anything written in front of me - not bad!). But rest assured, they'll all be listed in the book.....that includes 2FTS!

RG: I'll be in touch shortly. Some good 'dits' there, by the look of it!

PP: I'd be interested to see what you might have Wx3-wise, albeit with the other FAA books I've written, I've probably got a fair selection to choose from already....but you never know!

DW: PM sent!

Lee

WASALOADIE
3rd Jan 2017, 14:39
Not forgetting No 5 Squadron Uruguayan Air Force (Fuerza Aerea Uruguaya), they took some of our Wessex 2's over (Ex 28 Sqn and Shawbury 2 FTS). I was on RAFWATT (RAF Wessex Advisory and Training Team) in Montevideo in 1997.

lsh
3rd Jan 2017, 15:55
Lee, I live in East Devon & would be happy to meet up with you.

I have some Wessex publications and did two and a bit tours as a Wessex Crewman.

lsh
:E

Motleycallsign
3rd Jan 2017, 16:05
The unforgettable Gnome engine bearings, Roller, Ball, Roller, Roller, Ball. Takes me back 40 odd years, and some of them were odd!!!!

tucumseh
3rd Jan 2017, 16:25
First time I did a BF on a Wessex, prepping them for the Spithead Review in 77, I forgot to shout Igniters. Some poor engine fitter got a HT wallop. He was ok; at least he ran quickly as he chased me round Flight Test.

Lee Howard
3rd Jan 2017, 18:28
Ish: where in Devon? PM me.

peterperfect
4th Jan 2017, 07:19
Lee/WASALOADIE
In the course of some other work in 2012 in South America I chanced upon the ex-Shawbury Wessies parked in storage at Punte del Este airbase in Uruguay (along with two ex-750 Jetstreams), regrettably all in a sorry state apart from one which was stated as physically complete in all respects, apart from suspended from all routine servicing and planned maintenance.
I'll post a couple of photos soon. XR 505 and 521 were two of them. There were also a couple of ex-US Sikorsky H34s; obviously the mould for the Westland-built machines, as different a SeaKing was from an H3.

peterperfect
4th Jan 2017, 07:58
WASA, this Squadron Print was still on the Armada crewroom wall 4 years ago.

Lee Howard
4th Jan 2017, 20:08
PP - looking forward to seeing them.

Herod
5th Jan 2017, 15:42
WASA, this Squadron Print was still on the Armada crewroom wall 4 years ago.

OK, I'll date myself. XR 505. Last flown March 13th 1969. Display rehearsal. Display for Gen Le Contain (?) C in C (?)

peterperfect
5th Jan 2017, 16:22
Herod,
Heres your trusty steed (as found 4 years ago) you flew for the display in 1969.
The rest of the storage area was not a pretty sight and mainly bits and pieces of cannibalised Wx2.
However on the plus side, XR 505 was relatively complete, it was under engine and intake covers and apparently it is the airframe closest to full flying condition.
See photos attached. For the spotters yes, a H34 is sandwiched in the line as well.
I won't show you the rest, I hate to see/hear grown Wessexmen and women cry.

Herod
5th Jan 2017, 17:36
Thanks Peter,

Now all I need is a BIG lottery win, and we get her back here and flying. You really shouldn't have included that last picture though. :{

Saintsman
5th Jan 2017, 18:45
Another one missing from the list. Manston SAR. The aircrew were 22 Sqn, but the groundcrew were ASF.

Lee Howard
5th Jan 2017, 19:06
Technically still 22 Sqn, though...:confused:

Nice (in a bad way) pics of he cabs in Uruguay. I used to have photos of them being loaded and unloaded from the ships but need to do a bit of digging to find them again.

Al-bert
6th Jan 2017, 00:25
Manston SAR. The aircrew were 22 Sqn, but the groundcrew were ASF.

and didn't it show? On detachment once from a SAR Flt 'somewhere in Wales' I landed from a training sortie with a U/S PTR 175 (UHF). I was informed by the shift boss at ASF that we'd be 'off state' for approx an hour and a half (other A/C was U/S too) because it was ASF's lunchtime! I offered to do the box change myself (ten minute job IIRC) along with some career advice and very grudgingly lunch was delayed for 15 minutes. I believe things did improve there, eventually. :ugh::hmm:

zetec2
6th Jan 2017, 09:58
What about SAR Wing Engineering Flight at Finningley, some tales to be had from there (correct Brian ?).

Shackman
6th Jan 2017, 11:53
Zetec2 - and their later re-incarnation at St Mawgan (HMF?). Of note the last Wessex out of there was XV729 which I took back up to SARTU on 10 May 96. Some guys there had worked on the Wessex for years (and moved down from Finningley) and were quite sad to see the end of line (so to speak)

NutLoose
6th Jan 2017, 12:03
Don't forget there are still some flying, one in the UK I believe.

DunWinching
6th Jan 2017, 16:29
XV729 is alive and well, still dripping OX 38 but now registered as 9G-AEL. Flew it 3 years ago.

NutLoose
6th Jan 2017, 16:46
9G-AEL is back in the UK

I am talking about G-BYRC formerly XT 671

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=BYRC

what happened? it shows the reg cancelled :(

Welcome to The Wessex Club - Home of the Wessex Enthusiast (http://www.thewessexclub.com/)

https://en-gb.facebook.com/The-Wessex-Club-566560906816937/

Herod
6th Jan 2017, 19:10
Here we go again "when I was no'but a lad" XT671 25th June '70. Up-country Malaysia as part of Op Bersatu Padu.

DunWinching
6th Jan 2017, 22:45
Does Matron know you are out?

Shackman
7th Jan 2017, 09:33
Herod - Snap. 25 Jun 70 Ex Bersatu Padu - only 9:35. I vaguely remember charging around at low level (100 ft or so) over the Malaysian jungle in the Shack, but no idea why!!

Herod
7th Jan 2017, 15:54
Shackman. Probably looking for me. I know we did quite a bit of "Go somewhere away from here, land, camouflage self and aircraft, come back in four hours" FJs looking for us I believe. Probably exactly that. Earlier in the day 25/01 "dispersal up-country". XT671 was 25/02

Shackman
7th Jan 2017, 21:33
And 20 years later I was flying 671 at Benson!

Lee Howard
8th Jan 2017, 09:50
All,

Some great contacts being made and some useful gen/tales being forwarded to me via PM and e-mail. Please do keep them coming. Any ex-28 Sqn guys out there with details of policing Hong Kong?

Lee

Hueymeister
9th Jan 2017, 17:27
Had a great deal of fun chasing Chugfei's and Daifei's (sp?) around the SC sea at night lobbing para-flares for the HK police to chase them...

bobward
10th Jan 2017, 09:52
Lee,
I used to live close to North Denes airfield in sunny Norfolk. I've a few shots of Bristow's Wessi if you'd like copies. They are scanned slides but photo-shopped up nicely.....

Lee Howard
10th Jan 2017, 10:31
bobward - many thanks. PM sent!

Lee Howard
15th Jan 2017, 20:14
Is there anyone here who served with the SAR Flight at Muharraq between 1967 and 1971?

Geordie_Expat
16th Jan 2017, 11:09
Is there anyone here who served with the SAR Flight at Muharraq between 1967 and 1971?

I had the occasional dubious pleasure of doing guard duty there :eek:

Lee Howard
19th Jan 2017, 09:22
Had an encouraging early response to the request for contact with former Wessex guys (all will get a credit in the book), but still looking for others. Any ex-60 Squadron personnel? Queen's Flight?

huge72
19th Jan 2017, 17:46
I might be able to help a little, having served 7 tours on Walter. 3 on 72, 2 on 28 and 1 each on 60 and 2FTS. I had the sad privilege to fly as the Crewman on the last Wessex flight in HK delivering them to the docks, was part of the Course Design Team at Benson that eventually became 60Sqn, and whilst serving on JATEU at Brize flew on 1 of the ex 84Sqn Cabs before they flew to Shawbury for disposal. Nearly 20 years in all and the best flying of my whole career.

NutLoose
20th Jan 2017, 11:44
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/RAF/WessexUpavon1970s.jpg~original

Night flying phase, 240 OCU RAF Upavon late 1970's

Lee Howard
20th Jan 2017, 21:01
Huge72: yes please! PM me.

Lee Howard
20th Jan 2017, 21:01
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/RAF/WessexUpavon1970s.jpg~original

Night flying phase, 240 OCU RAF Upavon late 1970's
Nut Loose: nice pic!

Refuellerman
20th Jan 2017, 21:19
Remember them in and out of raf aldergrove and hedge hopping when dropping off and picking up checkpoint squaddies

Fareastdriver
21st Jan 2017, 10:24
Once, on a hot summers day, flying around between VCPs we spied an ice-cream wagon so we did our own VCP and loaded up with Mr Softies.

It wasn't in a Wessex; they couldn't catch up with an ice-cream wagon.

Lee Howard
6th Mar 2017, 13:19
Bumping this back to the surface, are there any ex-Wessex HAS.3 Observers out there who can drop me a PM about using the radar and sonar combination?

ALTAM
7th Mar 2017, 05:14
The radar and sonar combination mirrored that in Sea King HAS 1 and 2 aircraft. However, it was better in the Wessex 3 as the blinds actually kept the light out so you could actually see the radar screen properly. The radar itself was a fresnel lense system with true motion capability delivered by the Blue Orchid doppler nav system. The interface between the radar and sonar was a bearing and range strobe controlled by an in contact switch on the sonar linked to the sonar sector display target indicator. All very agricultural however it worked and could be made to work well.

Lee Howard
7th Mar 2017, 07:46
ALTAM - thanks. PM about to be sent!

Rocking Grate
10th Mar 2017, 22:27
Lee,

For your forthcoming tome on the Wessex, a little more on that most fabulous and complex arrangement, the much loved Windscreen Wiper System.
This was a development from the Whirlwind, where all systems were controlled by a doll, for a doll it was, as there were numerous "dolls eyes" that winked at you from under the Whilwind dashboard whenever said doll had mischief in mind.
Clearly this would not do for the more macho Wessex, so a Genie was installed during the build at Yeovil. This genie (not in any way related to the Demon that lived in the plumbing of the "Heads" on Grey Funnel line ships. It had mighty powers) allowed electricity to be made from the noise produced by the engines through their friends, the inverters. They certainly were "in"verters as very little electricity was allowed out to the rest of the aircraft, but that is another story.
Should the pilot be wilful enough to switch on the windscreen wipers, a lot could and usually did happen.
The principal area of activity surrounded the electro-mechanical-hydro mechanism that lived on the floor of the cockpit.
The first indication of action was the leaking of copious amounts of hydraulic fluid on to the floor under the second pilot's feet, thus converting their non-slip footwear to hi-slip. What hydraulic fluid that remained was pumped up to the next device, situated close by the windscreen. It was here that much more activity was enabled by the genie, with even more mischief in mind.
At first, all appeared well. The rain was on the screen, the wiper blade wiped and then.... sufficient hydraulic fluid was allowed to leak on to the outside of the windscreen, where it would be promptly wiped, mixed with the rainwater and thus rendering the windscreen opaque. Any deliberations on their now non-existent forward view by our by now bemused aviator were rendered redundant by the next phase of the operation, as the wiper blade, having done it's work, would depart the aircraft, where it could and did impact with either a main or tail rotor blade. In this case the ensuing vibration would take one's mind off not being able to see anything ahead.
If some or any of the above was not enough, the by now fed up electro-mechanical-hydro device would promptly overheat and emit an evil smell or just catch fire.
There was one more wiper feature embodied in the Wessex and this was the separate parking arrangement for the wiper blade (not much used as there was rarely a wiper blade left to park). A secondary function of this parking system doubled up as the main flying control secondary hydraulics. Clever.
As alluded to above, there is so much more to the mighty Wessex, such as how to start a reluctant engine by the sole use of a self-loading rifle. How not to spend all of your flying pay on a new coupling gearbox. The list is endless.
It was great fun and we all loved it. What a ship.
Best wishes with your book,
Rocking Grate.

StopStart
10th Mar 2017, 23:07
Had a brief "career" on the mighty Wessex at 2FTS in 1994 before it was decided that helicopters and I weren't destined to be friends.... :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued to know why the thread starter has been banned?! :confused: :confused: Seemed nice enough.....

lsh
11th Mar 2017, 16:02
More on the Wessex Windscreen Wiper:

Hydraulics on top of Electrics!

Hydraulic Fuse!

And, possibly, the final indignity...they were crossed-over!
As the system was fitted on the Whirlwind, they (sensibly) put all the gubbins on the left - out of the Pilot's way.
When the Wessex came along.....they put the second motor on the right.
So, if you adjust the speed on them them (box on bulkhead under nose-door) remember that!

Ground check completed!

Great Beast Though!
It was early days & it did have a lot of good engineering design.

lsh

DunWinching
11th Mar 2017, 22:24
Another cunning ploy was the Double Datum Overspeed Trip Governor. Not only would it wait patiently to attend to any overspeed, it sometimes felt the need to shut down an engine at random. Button A and button B anyone? (and that's nothing to do with old telephones)

NutLoose
14th Mar 2017, 00:20
Poor old girl

Wessex helicopter | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wessex-helicopter-/322444745952?hash=item4b13345ce0:g:YCkAAOSwdGFYvpZC)

lsh
14th Mar 2017, 08:25
Priming the Coupling Gear Box!

lsh

argyle
14th Mar 2017, 08:44
Hi Lee,

I was ground crew on the Wessex, arriving Feb 1968 and left March 1969.
Sharing a hanger with a Fleet Air Arm detachment operating target drones.

The time I was there we had two aircraft. If my memory serves, we ran a two shift system, 12hrs on and 12 off. Plenty of volley ball.

Mike.

teeteringhead
14th Mar 2017, 09:41
And of course the wonderfully "crossed over" wiper system ensured that if one pilot's wiper stopped working the other pilot had his feet swimming in hydraulic oil. So who should fly it?

Answers on a postcard to the Yeovil Glue Factory......

Some more good dits on Wessex systems....

When the RAF decided they wanted the Wessex (which became the Mk 2), they based the requirement on the already-in-service Junglie Mk 5. [off at a tangent here - why was the Mk 5 before the Mk 2? In them days if the RAF and the FAA had the same type, FAA would have odd numbered Mks and RAF even numbers. As the RN already had Mks 1 & 3, RAF got Mk 2 - and subsequently Mk 4 for TQF]. Back to the dit.

The Mk 5 had the folding tail, to save space below deck. RAF thought such a thing dangerous, Cue following dialogue:

RAF: We really like the Wessex Mr Westland, but we'd like ours without the folding tail.
Mr W: But that's the way it comes.
RAF: But we really really really want ours without the tail fold.
Mr W: OK - but it'll cost yer.

Very soon, RAF discovers you can also save space in hangars - quelle surprise! Cue following dialogue:

RAF: Excuse me Mr Westland, we really love our Wessex (Wessi?) but would love them even more if you could retrofit them with the folding tail.
Mr W: OK - but it'll cost yer.

So pay twice for what you could have had for nothing!

Next dit: was once talking to someone at Yeovil about rotor-blades, and the magnificent ones on the Sycamore, crafted by wizened old men in brown dust coats, a box of formers and a Surform. With these skills they imparted taper, washout and all those other P of F things which I can no longer remember.

The trusty NACA 0012 section of the Wessex blade only had washout.

Teeters: So how is the washout introduced?
Mr W: A process called Cold Dry Torsion.
Teeters: Wassat??
Mr W: Well, we secure one end of the blade, and apply torsion to the other until we get the required level of washout.
Teeters: So you put one end in a vice, apply a crowbar to the other end, and then heave.
Mr W: Err :O:O:O

DunWinching
14th Mar 2017, 22:57
OK, Pruners, what was the cleared speed range and ht for release of the HE bombs? You Chinook boys and girls might have payload, but we were bombers!

Motleycallsign
15th Mar 2017, 09:01
So were the Chindet guys in FI looking at the number of tinnys we lost from a netted NAAFI load between Stanley and Bluff Cove in '82 post conflict. :)

NutLoose
15th Mar 2017, 10:34
You Chinook boys and girls might have payload, but we were bombers! (From members of the Boeing team that came over), they dropped a 1000lb fragmentation bomb underslung when they required to clear a zone in the jungle for dropping off troops. whether true or not i leave up to you, but they did say it happened... as for the Chinook as a bomber

https://warisboring.com/america-dropped-deadly-barrel-bombs-in-vietnam-f006f1ce77cf#.67d3e5rfp

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1000/1*jJpdNCKzU0x3jnDUqsvHAA.jpeg

teeteringhead
15th Mar 2017, 17:42
DunWinching

OK, Pruners, what was the cleared speed range and ht for release of the HE bombs? Quoting from Pilots' Notes for the Mk 2 - AP 4732B-PN - at Pt II Chap 1 para 16....

Cluster Grenades

Cleared for release through the doorway in the speed range 20 to 100 kts and the height band 50 to 300ft. AGL.

That's the H-est E I can think of - if you don't count underslung Honest John warheads........;)

DunWinching
15th Mar 2017, 19:17
It was bomb, 20lb HE mk6 carried 4 each side. IIRC it was mod 2. Sadly I don't know what mod 1 was.

teeteringhead
16th Mar 2017, 11:21
Thanks DunW - was that the Mk 2 or the Mk 5? I know Junglies did all sorts of warry stuff like SS11s, but wasn't aware the Mk 2 was a bomber. Must have been even before my time!!

Although of course 18 was 18 (Bomber) Sqn!

Mogwi
16th Mar 2017, 13:07
Milk bottles over the Falls Road made a sound like a thousand-pounder inbound, as I recall!

teeteringhead
16th Mar 2017, 15:02
Mogwi

you're a very naughty boy (and not the Messiah!)

DON T
16th Mar 2017, 20:05
Was it possible for a Wessex to have a Jaguar car as an underslung load?

DunWinching
17th Mar 2017, 19:23
Mk2, according to the Pilot's Notes I have, formerly owned by a Mr Sephton! Min ht for release was 3000 ft, so rather more of an area weapon than precision, I think designed to annoy rebellious tribesmen whose SA engagement envelope couldn't reach 3k

teeteringhead
18th Mar 2017, 10:45
Interesting! My PN has last (recorded!) amendment as AL 6 dated Dec '69. The pages I have quoted were all part of AL 6, which may - or may not - be significant.

The date would tie in (ish) with the move of 78 from Aden to Sharjah; presumably Aden would have been the only theatre for the 20lb HE for the Mk2.

Calling any Aden vets!!!

NutLoose
18th Mar 2017, 12:31
Can anyone place these in the cockpit to help the guy out?

Wessex helicopter instruments- id & pic request (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?141822-Wessex-helicopter-instruments-id-amp-pic-request)

ShyTorque
18th Mar 2017, 12:40
Teeters, I've asked this question before but don't recall it being answered:

Why were the RAF's Wessex used on 2 Sqn at Shawbury Mk5's, rather than Mk2's? They were obviously ex RN because if you looked carefully the words "ROYAL NAVY" were still visible under the green top coat. Not to mention the rocket firing control panels on the right hand side, under the pilot's window...

Al-bert
18th Mar 2017, 13:17
Teeters, I've asked this question before but don't recall it being answered:

Why were the RAF's Wessex used on 2 Sqn at Shawbury Mk5's, rather than Mk2's? They were obviously ex RN because if you looked carefully the words "ROYAL NAVY" were still visible under the green top coat. Not to mention the rocket firing control panels on the right hand side, under the pilot's window...

Shy,
Perhaps I can answer since I was flying Mk2's at the time. We didn't have any spare Mk2's to equip Shawbury. The RN 5's were being replaced by Mk4 SK - simples, as the young folk say :ok:

18th Mar 2017, 21:21
Which may explain why 84 Sqn got Mk 5s that had been retro-fitted to (almost) Mk 2 status but with the port drop tank still on.

huge72
18th Mar 2017, 21:53
ShyTorque, the answer was indeed not enough Mk2s to go round. They were replaced when 18 gave them up for Chinooks. 84 initially had Mk2s to replace the Whirlwind as they were flown out in Nov 81 from Benson when 72 moved to NI. These were eventually replaced by the converted Mk5 and the Mk2s returned to bolster both 72, post Falklands as the Navy had pulled out of Ireland and the SAR fleet. When 72 first moved totally to Ireland we only had 12 cabs but after we started to build again we had a full alphabet + 2 more ex 18 cabs.

ShyTorque
19th Mar 2017, 01:18
Al-Bert and Huge72,

Thanks for the "simples" answers! That makes perfect sense now.

I loved flying those old emergencies trainers. IIRC, the Emergencies section of the FRCs was thicker than that for the "Normal procedures".

lsh
19th Mar 2017, 09:49
Mk 5 also gave us Crewmen something to do!
The radio controller was in the cabin.
"Stud 3 Crewman" "Aye-Aye Sir"!

lsh

teeteringhead
19th Mar 2017, 10:39
It was also handy to have some Mk 5 expertise on 72; in the chaos of early 1982 "on the bus off the bus" Falklands preparations, 72 - briefly - took on and flew the 845 Sqn's Mk 5s, just after 72 had deployed as far as Benson (en route FI) before coming back again. The story went like this.

Plan A. 845 Det NI told by RN they would remain in Norn Iron for the duration.

Plan B. RN decide they want the aircrew, but 72 can keep the cabs and the maintainers. OC 72 tasks Trg Off and his team (fine fellows all!!:ok:) to train a "suitable cadre" of Mk 5 pilots for day/VMC operations - no Nitesun then on Mk 5. (crewmen had already flown on 845 cabs to help out the RN.) Duly accommplished by aforesaid fine fellows, and tasking - including a day BBK - carried out by RAF crewed Mk 5s.

Plan C. RN decide they want the cabs and the maintainers too - cue mega RAF reinforcement of 72........

Plans A-C all happened within about a week or 10 days in May......

Order and counter-order is a sure recipe for disorder........

And don't get me started on 847..............:mad:

Shackman
19th Mar 2017, 11:27
Ah the good old days of 1982!!

Bare in mind that 72 in its days at Odiham had been a fully 'deployable' squadron in that as soon as the hooter went each aircraft (and crew) was roled with sufficient kit to depart to foreign shores for an extended stay. When the Squadron moved to NI in '81all this kit (and most of the expertise) was removed, and the Squadron was now 'static' and would only do NI tasking.

Apr 30: Sqn Dining In Night at Aldergrove - half way through Boss disappears, not seen again that night.
May 1: S'man and crew depart for day tasking at Omagh, return about 1800 to the news that (a) Sqn going to war, and (b) I'm leaving at 0800 following day to help set up FOB at Benson prior to boarding ship. Massive party in mess.:O
May 2: Arrive sleepy hollow that was Benson (after brief formation trip with Royal Flight Wessex) to discover scene of total confusion. We have little or no kit, either for crews or aircraft. within hour we have a hangar allocated for our use - the one we vacated the previous year - and clothing stores opens for us; in one end, collect kit bag, fill with anything we think we might need, and out other end with no paperwork or signatures. back on Squadron start getting training programme organised for following day. Load of RAF Regt gunners (with guns and ammo) arrive from somewhere to be 'our' defence force, spend late afternoon and evening on range. In the meantime a load of Pumas have gone to NI.
May 3: More of sqn arrive, I'm to try to teach fighter affil v Hunters for new guys PM. Man arrives and dumps box of new gen NVGs on ops desk and leaves (anyone know how these work?). RN Capt arrives to brief us on Shipboard procedures, but immediately leaves again. Phone rings - STC (Strike Command) here - AL1, all change, Navy don't want you, go back to NI. Cancel fighter affil, rock apes disappear, stores want all their kit back (what kit? - show us signatures etc).
May 4: Hang on, Navy might want you. No, go back to NI. Man arrives to collect box of NVGs (never did discover where they came from).
May 5: Fly back to NI, resume tasking. Lot of very sheepish faces in OM after 'leaving party'.:O

So that was 72's part in the FI conflict! :rolleyes:

huge72
19th Mar 2017, 11:31
TH You forgot to mention that this was all after Operation Headless Chicken, 72 deploy to Benson prior to embarking to go South. 33 deploy to NI with their Pumas to relieve us. OC 72 told by V senior Naval Officer, you can ''P*** O** back to NI I don't want anymore Crabs in my War'' Reverse above deployments and carry on. All in the space of the bank holiday weekend. And I too have those Mk5 sorties in my Logbook fine Cabs they were!!!!

Al-bert
19th Mar 2017, 13:36
Huge72 told by V senior Naval Officer, you can ''P*** O** back to NI I don't want anymore Crabs in my War'

I wonder if it was the same Naval Officer (then not quite so senior) who told the controller at SRCC Plymouth that he could "p*** o**, this is a navy show" when he was offered a yellow Seaking, three Yellow Wessex (we had the Sqn spare) and a yellow Whirlwind during the '79 Fastnet tragedy? (I was on shift and offered the three Wessex btw).

teeteringhead
19th Mar 2017, 15:56
Ooooh! I've really stirred something up now haven't I:E:E

Shackman Pretty accurate recall! But 72 had only been out of Odiham for 6 months or so, so retained much "deployable" expertise among both air and ground crew. During the Benson hiatus, all the cabs were freshly serviced and ready to roll, and a number of "deployment whizz kids" had been recalled from postings out!

My favourite engineer story was about the recall from leave of an ASF computer diagnostician who was camping in the New Forest with his young lady. In the middle of the night (and quite possibly in the middle of something else!), a torch was shone into the tent by one of Hampshire Constabulary's finest.

Old Bill: Ere mate, are you J/T Bloggs from Benson?
J/T: Yes officer.
Old Bill: Thank f:mad: for that, this is the 4th tent I've tried. Get yer ass back to work.

Personally I had a bad feeling when I left; walking out to the aircraft I got a firm handshake from the Padre :bored: and a lingering kiss from OC WRAF :E. I thought - if this were a war movie I'd definitely be for the chop!!

huge72
19th Mar 2017, 19:23
I remember the first thing the Staish at Benson said on our arrival '' You haven't brought your Rocks have you?'' This was after the sqn regt flt had left a trail of broken furniture and airmen after their last night at Benson before we pulled out for NI in Nov 81. Benson were very helpful as we had handed in all our deployment kit when we went to Ireland. They opened stores on a SUNDAY and said help yourselves. Nobody signed for anything and when it was called off they didn't ask for it back!!!!! On our return to Aldergrove we found that our wives had had a party in our 3 day absence and drunk the place dry. Teetering we must know each other PM me but I guess you should be able to work who I am!!!

Shackman
19th Mar 2017, 19:23
TH - That's funny, I had the same feeling walking out to the aircraft (although I missed the Padre's handshake!). As far as the crews were concerned though, I thought we had lost a lot of the 'old hands' and had to try to work up the NI only guys PDQ - the time scale for the recallees was outside our departure (which was to be the Thursday - the 6th) hence the rush to try to get some meaningful training.
TH and Huge - some things are probably better forgotten!

klingonbc
3rd Apr 2017, 22:54
All true. I was there and for me it went from "mate your on a Herc tomorrow, no a Chinook tomorrow, no a Herc this afternoon, mate see that Chinook there - get you kit on now it's leaving in 5 mins." All that within one hour, the day after 5 Wessex of A Flight departed Aldergrove - all at MAUM 14,000 lbs running T/Os from dispersal and wazzing the wives and kids over the sqn on the way to fecking war!! Very emotional and I remember the look on the families faces as they departed that day.
On arrival at Benson by Chinook - the decision to deploy to the ships in Southampton had been reversed so off we went to the Bee Hive Pub somewhere near Benson where we first tourists got royally P***ed for the next 24 hours until poured back onto whatever aircraft could be found to return us to NI.
72 Sqn did contribute massively to the conflict however. We supported all the clearance work at West Freugh to get the Harriers release clearance for smart munitions completed in days rather than years. Winching scientists onto the target barges in the bay to see the strike results was brilliant fun - providing you only got them wet occasionally!
True about the RN "our show - **** off" attitude. That's why after the conflict and NI was the only operational show in town for years to come, SHFNI refused the offer of RN return to ops in NI.
Kbc

NutLoose
4th Apr 2017, 21:25
I remember the telegrams they sent out, as you paid per letter they simply had RTU on them ( Return to Unit for those that do not know )

If I remember correctly a couple were on a driving holiday in France and were flagged down by some gendarme who told them to RTU, getting to the ferry it was full, but they were expected and some poor family was offloaded to get them on.

I was heading home and getting to Waterloo Station there was a chalked sign at the platform gate and everyone was being turned round and sent back to whatever stations they came from.

An MT bod I think was sent to deliver a load and arriving at the dockside was told he was going, telling them he had only what he was wearing he was told wifie was packing his bags and they were following shortly.

NutLoose
4th Apr 2017, 21:33
I should really try to get these scanned properly 72 leaving Odious, sorry for those that have seen them before.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/RAF/72departingcopy.jpg~original

Lee Howard
14th Apr 2017, 08:27
All good stuff. Please keep it coming.

heli1
8th May 2017, 21:34
All good stuff. Please keep it coming.

Damn Lee...it wasn't till you'd left I realised it was you in the cafe at the Helicopter Museum last Saturday....I was too heads down instead of heads up. Apologies....Elfan

Lee Howard
16th May 2017, 20:59
Damn Lee...it wasn't till you'd left I realised it was you in the cafe at the Helicopter Museum last Saturday....I was too heads down instead of heads up. Apologies....Elfan

T'was indeed! Showing my support for the event.

Lee Howard
12th Jul 2017, 12:13
BUMP! Anyone else got any good stories/recollections that they would like to share?

Lee Howard
6th Aug 2017, 19:40
BUMP (again!). :)

Any ex-28(AC), 78 or 22 Squadron personnel still out there? Keen to hear from you.