PDA

View Full Version : WW1 FLYING GOGGLES

turbroprop
29th Dec 2016, 20:25
I have acquired a set of goggles and case. The goggles fold in the middle and are fitted with red lens. I was informed that they were intended for use as eye protection during the early nuke testing.

However I have seen identical goggles and case, except they have clear lens, at Shuttleworth and are WW1 flying goggles.

My thoughts are could my goggles also be of that era.

Is it possible that ar the time red lens were used during the war night flying or some early form of sun glasses.

Mechta
29th Dec 2016, 20:34
From this site: vintageflyinghelmets (http://www.vintageflyinghelmets.com/flying-headgear)

in the description for WWII AAF / USN issue Polaroid Model 1021
All-Purpose / Flying Goggles

They were issued with green, amber, dark, clear and red lenses. Offered here is a set with the red lens (for night adaption and also for observing tracer in daylight).

Pontius Navigator
30th Dec 2016, 09:06
On night adaptation, the purpose built crew coaches of the 50s for high altitude flight had oxygen points so that crews could pre-breath and reduce the risk of the bends at high altitude flight and also had red lighting for night adaptation.

The latter was rather spoilt by bright airfield lighting, googles would have been better.