PDA

View Full Version : No more accommodation allowance EK

AlanPardew
29th Dec 2016, 13:35
This is a rumour coming out of accommodation. Before getting too excited it is only being discussed as a cost cutting option and I do not know if it will affect those who have bought property.
For those of us who have already been forced into a move to Meydan this won't be an issue.
As we have been made aware that our senior management do read these forums, who feels this would be a step too far? I've asked colleagues who have said they will leave or seriously consider it.
At the last fleet forum we were asked to actively encourage our friends to join Emirates, this will become near impossible to do if negative changes continue to be made.

Alan Pardew

troff
29th Dec 2016, 13:46
I seriously hope this is a wind-up.

The Outlaw
29th Dec 2016, 13:59
It would be a step too far and would lead to my instant submission of resignation. It would also be an indication of blatant desperation and would be an embarrassment to EK as a failure, I don't think they want to air such a statement.

On the other hand, nothing surprises me anymore and if true it would be an indication of way bigger issues on the horizon making a resignation now a smart move.

I think what is actually being tossed around is that there will be no further offer of accommodation allowances to new hires or employees being force moved to the labour camps.

AlanPardew
29th Dec 2016, 14:08
New joiners not being offered it would be more likely, or at least the first move towards a company wide change.
What must the pilot recruitment team think?

Whairdhugo
29th Dec 2016, 14:08
If true, they just greatly accelerated exit strategy. :ok:

BigGeordie
29th Dec 2016, 14:11
If they stop offering it to new joiners I would think it would make recruitment much harder. If they take it away from people already here it will make retention much harder. I think it would end up costing more than it saves.

my salami
29th Dec 2016, 14:14
The same happened in 2009,although the Company kept the option open for those willing to buy a property.
I seriously doubt the withdrawal of Accommodation Allowance for the individuals who are paying mortgage.
But then again....😱😱

MS

Visual Procedures
29th Dec 2016, 14:38
A friend sent me the accommodation departments reply when attempted to opt out earlier this month..

"We are not in a position to accept the date you are providing due to the financial impact which is associated with the potential duplication of costs and periods of dead rent by the Company, the date we are proposing you is 6 months from now and is obtained by the system."

Mr Angry from Purley
29th Dec 2016, 15:48
Fecking hell AL - First the sack and now loosing your home.
He's one of our own he's one of our own
Up the Palace
(no not been drinking Pards will understand)

fliion
29th Dec 2016, 15:59
Stopping the allowance for those living out is not going to happen....maybe jut maybe if renting...but not mortgage holders.

Ending opting out for current and new joiners - more likely being looked at.

That said I know more than a few who are waiting to move into one and two bed rentals for reasonable price,once kids are off to college, so as to help pay for said college. If this option is not available it's sure to lead to more resignations.

It would be another short sighted, quick fix, 'shoot yourselves in the foot' move.

Based on that alone - it's sure to happen. It's the only way they know.

lospilotos
29th Dec 2016, 16:07
Slightly off topic but new joiners now being told no more car loan.

lospilotos
29th Dec 2016, 16:11
A friend sent me the accommodation departments reply when attempted to opt out earlier this month..

"We are not in a position to accept the date you are providing due to the financial impact which is associated with the potential duplication of costs and periods of dead rent by the Company, the date we are proposing you is 6 months from now and is obtained by the system."

This is nothing new, been done before. The date "from the system" is to coincide with the end of EK's lease. Understandably, if they are not renewing the lease they don't want to pay for that plus allowance at the same time.

perthbound
29th Dec 2016, 16:57
This thread was started by someone just running their mouth on a Thursday afternoon.
It maybe correct but if it is then it is just by chance and not by this person having any unique knowledge of the situation.

All the best to everyone in the coming year

checkerboard6
29th Dec 2016, 20:01
Not quite accurate AP. Mate of mine got his the other day - 15 days after he applied. I have just been awarded mine and other mates are getting theirs. I know people who have been told 6 months but have a confirmed move out date. I think it depends on where you are staying and if there is a demand for that building.

ExDubai
29th Dec 2016, 20:34
Not quite accurate AP. Mate of mine got his the other day - 15 days after he applied. I have just been awarded mine and other mates are getting theirs. I know people who have been told 6 months but have a confirmed move out date. I think it depends on where you are staying and if there is a demand for that building.
It depends on the EK leasing contract. And it's nothing new.

I can imagine that they'll try to stop paying the allowance to new joiners.

Nikita81
29th Dec 2016, 20:43
I think it would end up costing more than it saves.That's EK's official business strategy, Big G. Never underestimate its power. Or stupidity. :)

Craggenmore
30th Dec 2016, 10:15
Alan Pardew joined EK two and a bit years ago and enjoys a good wind up.

This confirmed to me by friends of his..!

Talparc
30th Dec 2016, 14:50
Not really surprised, the muppets are in deep **** and more **** is coming up !
Funny or scary times a head, interesting to see their fight for survival, but sorry the game is coming to an tragic end sooner then they can imagine.

felixthecat
30th Dec 2016, 15:00
They would pretty much loose everyone who bought a property or rented a property. It would be a step too far. It would effect too many senior guys and the whole pilot body would be decimated at the higher end especially.

I can see it coming for those who try and move out or for those joining, but for those already out I really doubt it.

777boyindubai
30th Dec 2016, 15:06
Felix. Apply the current management logic of EK. They will do the opposite of anything that is good for the company as they only focus on the current state of their bonus.

nothingsurprisesme
30th Dec 2016, 15:11
Senior pilots cost the company more. If cutting the accommodation allowance means saving EK money, they may well do it. We all know that money is the only thing that matters to them; they can't see any further than $$$.

WB1900
30th Dec 2016, 15:47
from one of our manuals

"It is the Company's Policy to create and maintain a working environment that facilitates employees' positive motivation and work satisfaction"

Visual Procedures
30th Dec 2016, 17:10
from one of our manuals

"It is the Company's Policy to create and maintain a working environment that facilitates employees' positive motivation and work satisfaction"

I give them a "1"..

pumpkin
30th Dec 2016, 17:41
Senior pilots cost the company more. If cutting the accommodation allowance means saving EK money, they may well do it. We all know that money is the only thing that matters to them; they can't see any further than $$$.
Yeah not so sure it is that much difference because of school fees- i.e. 35 year old Captain new hire vs 55 year old (oldie)- the pay scale difference is not that much compared to the cost to the company of educating 2 or more kids. "oldies" tend to have University level kids , and since EK chooses not to subsidize that, saves them quite a bit .

Divertnow
2nd Jan 2017, 07:14
This thread was started by someone just running their mouth on a Thursday afternoon.
It maybe correct but if it is then it is just by chance and not by this person having any unique knowledge of the situation.

All the best to everyone in the coming year

May not be too far from the truth though. No smoke and all.
I was told by a crew member that the live out allowance is no longer available to all Cc grades that aren't married. Second hand info so that could well be bs.

Emma Royds
2nd Jan 2017, 09:55
I can't see the allowance being stopped but I can see them only paying what you need, if your mortgage or rent is less than your allowance.

I think the days of making a quick buck from the accommodation allowance are now numbered.

AlanPardew
4th Jan 2017, 11:34
It's coming. Hope those who have bought are allowed to continue receiving allowance.

Unemployed Alan

Spoogie
4th Jan 2017, 11:42
It's here!:ugh:

Murrenfan
4th Jan 2017, 11:47
It's coming. Hope those who have bought are allowed to continue receiving allowance.

Unemployed Alan

Alan,

Could you please state where this information come from? Otherwise i would suggest you stop broadcasting BS. You are loosing credibility.

dofus
4th Jan 2017, 11:54
Check your company mail !

Murrenfan
4th Jan 2017, 12:20
Nothing, just groupworld stuff.

BANANASBANANAS
4th Jan 2017, 12:24
The email doesn't have a 'dl' address list.

Affected staff are being emailed by name.

Emma Royds
4th Jan 2017, 12:44
I have not requested to opt out but I received the email.

It only states that new requests to opt out will not be granted unless a property has been bought. This is effective for 6 months from 4th Jan.

pfvspnf
4th Jan 2017, 14:36
So all new Hires have to stay in company accommodation ?

ruserious
4th Jan 2017, 16:20
Aye, no choice, if they put you in a minger, you are stuck there

BANANASBANANAS
5th Jan 2017, 02:43
Aye, no choice, if they put you in a minger, you are stuck there

So, anyone currently considering joining EK and buying their own property has now to factor in circa 180k dirham pay cut pa and likelihood of qol being affected by location and/or standard of accommodation being disappointing.

Good job we aren't short of pilots as that might affect recruitment!

falconeasydriver
5th Jan 2017, 04:37
Good old EK, never failing to miss an opportunity, to miss an opportunity. They should write a book "How not too"

What a bunch of arrogant numpties :ugh:

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2017, 04:38
The email says if you want to buy you still get the allowance doesn't it. So only those wishing to rent have to wait 6 months. It's happened before. It will happen again.

falconeasydriver
5th Jan 2017, 04:42
Ok Don, so it's ok to get the allowance so long as you prop up the corrupt real estate sector?
Boy, those Korean courses must be filling up quicker than usual!

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2017, 04:56
Falcon I was correcting a previous post. This opt out freeze happened even when you were here.
There are bigger problems here than this one.

Kobus Dune
5th Jan 2017, 05:19
There are bigger problems here than this one.

Probably because YOU are not touched by this one !

But with your 2200+ posts, I think you consider it gives you special privileges compared to other posters, like flight hours or stripes or diplomas or war missions ....

Anyway, thank you for your company-minded post.

skytops
5th Jan 2017, 05:28
Donpizmeov, The email isn't clear, is it. '...except for those who have purchased a property.' Does that mean for those who have purchased a property as of now, or at a point in the next 6 months? The email is poorly written. It doesn't even clarify the situation for people currently out but renting, although it's safe to say, I think, they are not affected. If they were the consequences would be severe.

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2017, 05:54
skytops, The email was only sent to those affected. No-one I know that is already renting has received the email. This would be consistent with the other times this has happened. If you have a concern, ring/email accommodation and ask for clarification. If emailing CC a lot of the higher up muppets to ensure you get a response.

Kobus, the only people who are hard done by with this are those that are now thinking of leaving company accommodation to rent. It means they need to delay their plans by 6 months. Realistically, what percentage of the pilot group do you think this would be? Now, how many of the pilot group are stuck with crap rosters, and having trouble getting leave when they want?
Google translate doesn't help me with the rest of your post so cant help you with those issues I am afraid.

Panther 88
5th Jan 2017, 06:03
Well Don, I'm in company accommodations, have not informed them of an opt out, and received that polite, well written email.

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2017, 06:08
That's right Panther. You are affected, you cant opt to rent for 6 moths. If you had opted out already, or been approved to already opt out you would not have received the email.

KippaLippa
5th Jan 2017, 06:37
What I find rather amusing is that you believe what's written in that email....
you seriously think that after six months they will give again the option to get out of company accommodation, and with the same rules as before?
ha ha ha.
If we get lucky, very lucky, by July we receive another email explaining that due to the current challenging business conditions opting out won't be an option for the foreseeable future.
If we are not that lucky, no email, same results.
For those who say this is not that big issue:
If you buy a house the company pays for it, if you are a FO with three years in EK that means pretty much a pay rise of about 50-60%.
I believe your families of origin must be very very rich.
so, by now I already saw the company offering about 11-13% more for new joining pilots with my same experience, and now I see that the same company is paying some of my batch mates who decided to buy a house only three months ago about 50-60% more.
to you this is not a big problem.
What exactly will you see as a big problem?
When they will actively cut your paycheck?
don't worry, it's coming next....
due to challenging business conditions

Eau de Boeing
5th Jan 2017, 07:23
It also goes along with the fact that all new trainers (not just LTC's) are quietly being put on a pay-per-duty contract as a permanent move.

BigGeordie
5th Jan 2017, 07:25
Kippa, your maths is way out. People think that the company housing is "free". It isn't, you are paying whatever the move out allowance is- you just never see that money being deducted from your salary. Hence, if you move out and are no longer taking up space in the company accommodation you get the cash instead.

I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding that.

Also, if you decide to buy a house you too can still have (for now!) the "50% pay increase". So what is stopping you?

Kobus Dune
5th Jan 2017, 08:15
Google translate doesn't help me with the rest of your post

Easy answer. Being a native speaker is probably convincing you that you are so smart when dealing with other colleagues

2250 posts on pprune... so impressive. I'm sure in your brain, it's like war missions for others - and that's also convincing you that your are a sort of pprune authority on EK subjects.

So once again, the suppression of an allowance for some of your colleagues is a minor issue for you, simply because YOU are not concerned.

ruserious
5th Jan 2017, 08:33
Kobus, Don is not the enemy, he was just pointing out the facts

777boyindubai
5th Jan 2017, 08:38
Sorry Kobus. I think you will find many of us respect Don for his knowledge on EK. His take on things as accurate and he is entitled to his opinion. All the best for 2017

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2017, 09:42
Kobus, the only person affected is the one who was about to opt out and rent. Those that have opted out already have no change. Those that want to opt out and buy have no change. So how many colleagues are going to have to wait 6 months to opt out to rent? This has already been happening for the past year if you were in the wrong company accommodation. Is it really such a big change?

Yes I have 2250 posts. That is over a 16 year period. Your 50 posts over 5 months works out to about the same hit rate per month. But yours are somehow different right?

Fellas are flying max hours on min days off, over and over again. Fellas are unable to get leave when they want it, and are having leave forced on them during periods when it is of no use to them. Leave months are still having max hours targeted at them. Capts have been sent to fly in the RHS for a min of 18 months (what a terrible precedent!) . These issues would seem to be a bigger worry, and be happening to greater number of your colleagues.

BANANASBANANAS
5th Jan 2017, 11:38
Whilst I agree with your synopsis of the situation, Don, the solutions for all of the 'bigger problems' you, so rightly, identify are only going to be achieved by substantially increasing (high quality candidates) recruitment and decreasing attrition rates. I would suggest that the current changes to accommodation allowance exacerbates all those biggger issues by acting as a further headwind to recruitment and causing yet more pilots already here to consider their options. Result? Even more hours, even less requested leave being approved and even more unwanted forced leave (in useless 5 day blocks and still with >100 hours in the month) for you and me.

The email is (deliberately so, I am sure) ambiguous regarding continued allowance. It does state that those who have already purchased will get the allowance but what about anyone who wishes to purchase in future?

Similarly, anyone considering joining EK now, knows for sure that the opt out allowance to rent is definitely not available (nominally for 6 months but with all departments charged with making draconian cost cuts - I heard 30% from someone at the meeting - this is the thin end of the wedge) and opt out allowance for a future purchase or rental is now, at best, a very grey area and a huge financial and/or qol gamble for anyone considering applying to Emirates now.

Anyone joining EK tomorrow is going to be stuck wherever EK puts them for the foreseeable future/indefinitely and I can't see that not affecting recruitment and attrition.

Jet II
5th Jan 2017, 13:13
The email is (deliberately so, I am sure) ambiguous regarding continued allowance. It does state that those who have already purchased will get the allowance but what about anyone who wishes to purchase in future?

It will be a brave man who goes ahead with a purchase on the understanding that they will then receive the allowance. As always with EK you could come unstuck because you 'misunderstood'. :ouch:

MR8
5th Jan 2017, 13:45
Whilst I'm absolutely not happy about how things are going, this particular issue is basically a non-issue.
First of all, exactly the same has happened some years back: a freeze on allowance for new renters. Nobody who bought has been affected then or will now in my opinion.
Also, then and hopefully also now, the freeze was finished after only a few months due to lack of company accommodation.

In my opinion, this is a temporary freeze to 'take inventory' of our accommodation department and get things organised again.
We all want changes, but think about it. When faced with a problem in flight, the first thing you should usually do is to 'sit on your hands', take some time to assess. Is it so hard to imagine that this is exactly what is happening now? Just stop all unnecessary moves etc., assess the accommodation situation and come up with a workable solution that might put an end to accommodation trouble for once and for all.

What would you say if you moved out to rent because you don't like where you live, and suddenly they allow accommodation moves within the company?? Then you would have something to complain about again.

As the Don said: we have way bigger fish to fry!! Relax and don't start shouting at every email you get.

MR8

Kobus Dune
5th Jan 2017, 14:05
Thanks MR8, nicely written - and thank you really for calling your colleagues "spoiled little girls" Thank you really for your miserable patronizing arrogance.

At which floor is your office ?

MR8
5th Jan 2017, 14:11
Thanks MR8, nicely written - and thank you really for calling your colleagues "spoiled little girls" Thank you really for your miserable patronizing arrogance.

At which floor is your office ?

You're right, point taken. I wasn't talking to friends over a beer, but on a public forum.
Post adjusted, but my point remains the same.

MR8

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2017, 15:18
Bananas,

I see your point. But its really a chicken and egg type of thing. The bond was increased and lengthened, but still they came. Compass test is now at own cost, and you need to get yourself to a testing centre, but still they come. These jets are really big and shiny it seems. I am not sure being only offered company accommodation will stop too many.
As MR8 correctly said. It's happened before. It will happen again.

BANANASBANANAS
5th Jan 2017, 15:53
Bananas,

I see your point. But its really a chicken and egg type of thing. The bond was increased and lengthened, but still they came. Compass test is now at own cost, and you need to get yourself to a testing centre, but still they come. These jets are really big and shiny it seems. I am not sure being only offered company accommodation will stop too many.
As MR8 correctly said. It's happened before. It will happen again.

Agree as far as you go but there is more to this situation given the 'critical trading conditions' that the company alludes to.

Removing accommodation allowance is not, by itself, a silver bullet that will deter recruitment 100% but it is another lash in the 'death by 1000 lashes' currently being served up.

Provided the company finds new lows to descend to, standards wise, in its recruitment drives it will always get the numbers through the door (checked to line is a different matter completely) but where is this going to stop - ppl and an r/t licence as the basic requirements to apply?

And, seeing this unfold, how much more of a 'push factor' is this going to be for the, already greatly reduced numbers of experienced Captains still here? We are seeing less and less experienced new joiners being trained by greatly overworked and increasingly inexperienced new trainers, experienced trainers are leaving the training department, Captains with extensive training backgrounds in wide body jet from previous airline employment are refusing to apply for training positions - and all this against a backdrop of savage budget cuts for all departments - including Training.

We are headed towards another smoking hole in the ground as the company pursues a 'profit at all costs' approach and I don't want to be around when it happens.

BigGeordie
5th Jan 2017, 15:53
The allowance has been pulled in the past but not at a time of such drastic cost cutting. I can see this becoming a normalisation of deviation. First they say six months, then they extend it for another 6 months, then they hope everybody will forget it ever existed.

I really hope I'm wrong.

BANANASBANANAS
5th Jan 2017, 16:06
The allowance has been pulled in the past but not at a time of such drastic cost cutting. I can see this becoming a normalisation of deviation. First they say six months, then they extend it for another 6 months, then they hope everybody will forget it ever existed.

I really hope I'm wrong.

I think you are absolutely correct in your assessment BG and that it has probably already been decided to remove the allowance permanently but to introduce the idea to crews one inch at a time. It's very unethical but as long as it makes 'good business sense' then the bad ethics will not trouble the conscience of those that made the decision one iota.

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2017, 16:23
True talk.

ElusiveKontract
5th Jan 2017, 16:48
I was just ready to opt-out from Meydan South... tired to "pay" 16000 aed/month for a place without facilities and risking my family lives at Al Alain road everyday.
What a surprise??? Just another break of contract from this low cost ! Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of Eastern Asia, yet...
I am just getting ready for the next cutting cost move... school bus to the airport or DEWA bills co-participation?
HELLO F... TODAY

Dropp the Pilot
5th Jan 2017, 17:06
It looks like the "what-do-you-expect-for-profit-share" thread will be very short this year.

fliion
5th Jan 2017, 17:54
I wouldn't understate nor overstate this erosion of T&Cs.

It's not good and doesn't feel like the previous freezes for obvious reasons.

What's more interesting is the psychological effect that these cuts (Salik latest) and increasing number of articles (Bloomberg, BBC 380) are starting to have.

The herd is starting to get a little unsettled, even if that pay cut "tiger" is still lying in the long grass without moving. Cautious survivors are getting more restless.

The talk around the kitchen tables has started to shift.

The equation of waiting a few more years has changed to "I don't want to be trying to get out when hundreds are on the move"

What business model provides more security for my future cash flow - China/Asia and its booming indigenous growth or EKs overcapacity, subsidized competition, low oil and Trump.

The stars are not aligning

Trader
5th Jan 2017, 17:58
This change, by itself and on the surface, is not really an issue. But taken in the context of history and, more importantly, what is happening now with cost cutting it becomes much larger.

If I had to guess I would say this is just the first step in a long series of measures to reduce costs. So I do find it worrisome since it is early days and the push to save money will only accelerate. To be blunt - if they think they can get away with it I would not doubt that they would do away with the allowance entirely even for those who currently own a property. It will come down down to cost vs. attrition vs recruitment vs advantage to Dubai Inc to having people own.

If they are cutting out expenses as small as Salik then the hurt going forward is going to be large!

When guys like CM arrive they cut hard and fast...kind of like the concept of pulling of a bandaid (to do it slowly is just more painful). CM knows beforehand that the process of 'saving EK' will be painful and that there is just no other way. I think the staff in the office are now well aware of this. The frontline employees..........well, we will just have to see how far they go in that area. We have been cut to the bone on the frontline but whether that is 'seen' or not is inconclusive.

Tough time are heading our way and I think to believe otherwise is foolish.

sandsthrudahrglass
5th Jan 2017, 18:28
Drivers are now avoiding salik.......

BANANASBANANAS
5th Jan 2017, 23:12
I wouldn't understate nor overstate this erosion of T&Cs.

The stars are not aligning

No, but the holes in the Flight Safety Swiss Cheese are starting to align in quite an alarming manner. And all this while EK's first priority is cost cutting rather than Safety.

Praise Jebus
6th Jan 2017, 05:25
It looks like the "what-do-you-expect-for-profit-share" thread will be very short this year.

One might assume the chap who made the profit forecast has left the building....

WB1900
6th Jan 2017, 07:29
latest developments

saving 4aed for more Kilometers of driving, higher costs in car usage and longer driving times resulting in more drives needed to do the job.
but this isn't it at the end.
it does not look like a very high rated course of action. but considering the other latest things like roaster going to min rest even on Homebase this provides a clear message.
our off time does not count, updating EPT for hours because that little thing consumes GB's of data on our private account for hours and needs attention to fullfil the task. our rest starts 30min after block on so therefore nobody cares how long it takes for the individual to go to bed, because it is in your off time. all of that after exhausting night flights, useless forced leaves and etc.
at the end planning is wondering why people are fatigue and tired.
and then punish CC and FC for being fatigue sending them to sleep test and other medical punishments. does nobody in the higher hirachy wants to see was is destroying this airline. do the higher ones believe that PAX dont see and read whats wrong in this airline and the service will decline for high prices on tickets. do they really belive that only the dollar, the other airlines, and those people who need to start and support wars in the vicinity of this sandpit are those who are responsible for this miserable situation.

i am wondering when somebody has the guts to stop this internal roten athmosphere and starts building a team to accomplish the tasks to operate the airline.
obviously FC is another disturbing factor in airline managment and operation. outsourcing seems the main cue for them. outsource all time, money and manpower consuming items into the homes of FC and cut the costs buy using private internet connections, no Salik roads and etc. what will be the next step. Busses form medyan, crew hotel in HQ so dont need to drive home to your family at all.

BigGeordie
6th Jan 2017, 08:02
The next thing will be a big car park at Meydan with a "Park and Ride" to EGHQ in those little death trap Hiace buses. The only thing stopping them doing it up to now is the whole operation would fall apart if people really did turn up 1Hr25mins before departure. They will soon work out it is cheaper to have a sensible report time (1Hr45mins maybe) and get rid of the Volvos. They could even charge us for the car parking. Win-win for the bean counters.

Plane and simple
6th Jan 2017, 08:17
As was mentioned in a post above, it seems to me that the accommodation freeze gives them a chance to take stock of the situation before formulating a plan.
However, Salik savings and Volvo utilization are the penny pinching antics of worried management desperately trying to save their jobs.

3 superfluous levels of management, out of control HR & advertising/sponsorship departments, and insane airplane orders..... these are the big issues.
Not to mention staff morale and Costa profits.

I imagine Herr Mueller and his team noticed all that on day 1.
Let's see what they are allowed to do about it.

luvly jubbly
6th Jan 2017, 08:26
I can't see the allowance being stopped but I can see them only paying what you need, if your mortgage or rent is less than your allowance.

I think the days of making a quick buck from the accommodation allowance are now numbered.

Regarding the accommodation allowance, it makes sound business sense to pay only the amount you provide a receipt for.

Of course this would upset s lot if staff who use it as a supplementary income. And it wouldn't take long for greedy dubai landlords to get wise to the fact they can charge EK staff the full allowance in rent, as they will no longer care how much It costs as long as it's covered by the company.

BigGeordie
6th Jan 2017, 08:31
The allowance is also supposed to cover DEWA and housing tax - oops, "fee" so only paying the rental amount wouldn't work. As you say the landlords would soon figure it out as well.

Cantbebothered
6th Jan 2017, 15:44
The next thing will be a big car park at Meydan with a "Park and Ride" to EGHQ in those little death trap Hiace buses. The only thing stopping them doing it up to now is the whole operation would fall apart if people really did turn up 1Hr25mins before departure. They will soon work out it is cheaper to have a sensible report time (1Hr45mins maybe) and get rid of the Volvos. They could even charge us for the car parking. Win-win for the bean counters.

I'm sure you gave them a good idea now. They would not have come up with such an idea on their own!:E;)

hugh767
6th Jan 2017, 18:43
Come on pay cut will be 7% will be introduced in March in the form of vat, do you think we will get an increase.

Calmcavok
6th Jan 2017, 19:44
Come on pay cut will be 7% will be introduced in March in the form of vat, do you think we will get an increase.

Any sound reference for that, or is that a guess? Most insiders (and press) estimate 2%-7% VAT to be introduced in FY18-19.

Whilst some form of taxation is inevitable at some point, this thread is becoming more scaremongering by each post.

Things aren't great at the moment and a material improvement seems to be well beyond the horizon. However, the hand wringing here seems to be a little excessive. All IMHO of course.

Cantbebothered
7th Jan 2017, 10:19
VAT is implemented in UAE starting from March 2018 and the amount is 5% not 7%.......for now. So start calculating a 5% reduction in salary.

trimotor
7th Jan 2017, 11:30
Is it just me, or have others noted the seemingly dramatic reduction in 2nd floor 'Costa Time' mid-morning on weekdays?

It's fantastic! Queues are shorter. Seats are plentiful! Why is this suddenly so?

knifedge
7th Jan 2017, 12:39
Have they also applied a freeze on Moving people ? Otherwise it would not be a fair freeze.

Plane and simple
7th Jan 2017, 13:39
Have they also applied a freeze on Moving people ? Otherwise it would not be a fair freeze.

Fair? Are you new to the Middle East?

BANANASBANANAS
7th Jan 2017, 14:34
VAT is implemented in UAE starting from March 2018 and the amount is 5% not 7%.......for now. So start calculating a 5% reduction in salary.

A 5% VAT will increase most prices by about 10% as stores will take the opportunity to increase prices by more than the VAT amount and use 'the cost of administrating the tax' as justification for the extra increase.

Instant Hooligan
8th Jan 2017, 09:13
Opt in now available

AirDemandPump2
8th Jan 2017, 09:29
The freeze does not apply to people who are mid move. i.e. they've been approved for the opt out by email.

troff
8th Jan 2017, 09:56
Opt in now available
Soon to be mandatory.

fliion
8th Jan 2017, 12:46
Opt in now available

Finally a smart move.

That should have been the first policy change not second. Lots of guys who came for the single life a few years back now married with wee ones & renting. Good option If you don't trust the property market and don't want to be a slave to landlord as your family grows etc.

Decoupling from EK in a hurry down the rd a lot easier if not off loading a property.

Not for everyone but finally some outside the box thinking 👍

C-130 SCORPION
8th Jan 2017, 13:32
I have some question guys,
The 2 new áreas that emirates is allocating the pilots seem to be meydan heights and meydan south. There are 2 very close international schools, hartland and kent. Do you know if the company has any type of agreement with them? Or you Just pay the fees that the school have in their website?
Do these areas have community pools and gym? I can only see one Per area in Google earth, How are they? Any comment?
Any feedback from people that actually live there?
Many thanks.

perthbound
8th Jan 2017, 14:33
everyone needs to relax a little on this,
The reality is that what is being passed as fact is simply people running their month and using pprune as donald trump would use his twitter account.

Most pilots at ek have not been through a correction before and are therefore scared.
Put off any big purchases for the next few months and lets see how this plays out.

I suspect we will have a clearer picture of what is happening by March or April.

Ps the above is my version of running my mouth.

stev
8th Jan 2017, 22:16
Sorry guys if someone has mentioned this in the thread I didn't read through it all. I haven't been here as long as Don and a few other posters that seen the previous crash and witnessed the allowance/move out option removed for a time. But as far as I know this is the first time EK has invested in a huge housing project that they've built themselves i.e. Meydan. It surely makes sense to the bean counters if they can build a villa for 150,000aed from scratch, (guess no idea the exact figure) then offering 160-190K a year for you to opt out is in there minds a huge drain on $. I think that this might not be as temporary as we'd like to think. I'm renting and obvs didn't receive the email. But if it comes to no allowance for renters then for me and a I think a good few more it would be time to go.
Only my 2 cents

fatbus
9th Jan 2017, 00:11
You guys make me laugh. Pprune at its finest!

harry the cod
9th Jan 2017, 03:11
c-130 SCORPION

In answer to your question, no, there is no agreement. There doesn't need to be.

KENT school is the same school, in name and ethos, as KENT school in the UK. It was the very same UK school that the President of EK went to. He is, as far as I'm aware, a major shareholder in this new school. It is no coincidence that it's been built in such a location as to have a captive audience. Some may argue it's good business sense, others that it's taking advantage of position and contacts.

All we need to know is that it's a school right next door to your pilots' estate and reduces the time the wife spends driving her Prado. Anything that keeps you off the road with the idiots has got to be a good thing......right? :hmm:

Harry

donpizmeov
9th Jan 2017, 03:18
So that's why people call him a Kent.

777boyindubai
9th Jan 2017, 11:07
First blood of the New Year to Don 👍😂

WB1900
10th Jan 2017, 08:59
it is also nice that we are titled customers or clients in the accomodation department.
gives a clear sign, we are not even employees, therefore not part of the big.
treated like dealing with a broker. next step will be we have to pay an agent fee before getting a contracted benefit.

pfvspnf
24th Jan 2017, 04:35
@sands thanks for clearing that up, anyone have the figures for Capt/FO?

natops
24th Jan 2017, 05:42
That would surprise me since we got an email saying there's a freeze of at least 6 months....

Where do you get yr info from?

Fuel-Off
24th Jan 2017, 12:49
I requested an opt out in December then told May would be the move out date. The email appeared on January 4, so I guessed that would be a month delay with the freeze. Then out of the blue, an email from Accommodations stating that they have approved my opt out date in May and have notified payroll of my request to have the Allowance paid 15 days in advance to the move.

Take that as you will...

Fuel-Off :ok:

sandsthrudahrglass
25th Jan 2017, 03:52
Info from LinkedIn