View Full Version : R-22 New Airworthiness Bulletin Australia - Blade

rjtjrt
22nd Dec 2016, 22:45
https://www.casa.gov.au/file/177096/download?token=DV1pBlhi

Just out.

belly tank
23rd Dec 2016, 08:13
Scary stuff.....again.
Very lucky it wasn't at 1000' or the outcome would have been tragic.

Was it a mustering machine?...

cyclic35
23rd Dec 2016, 08:35
Seasonal Greetings to you and yours.
Many thanks for the info.
Very useful.

Spunk
23rd Dec 2016, 17:33
Was it a mustering machine?

I bet it was.

500e
23rd Dec 2016, 19:18
The answer is yes according to VND

topendtorque
26th Dec 2016, 09:31
Mustering machine but they cop a lot less stress than training machines with their RRPM abuse. Don't forget there was a comprehensive stress analysis of a mustering machine quite some years ago which apparently yielded less stress impact than that during FAA certification. So there is no need to dribble on about mustering machines. However numbats listen up. These dash six blades came out six years ago, this one is an early S/# (0133). Logged TSN is 1720 hours or so. I wonder whether CASA will do a in depth search on its service life history? Commercial musterers usually do quite a few hours per year. It would be criminal if the whole Robinson fleet copped an imposition because of lack of disclosure by CASA, it it is warranted of course.

givdrvr
27th Dec 2016, 16:29
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/29947/b20040292.pdf (http://https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/29947/b20040292.pdf)

Quote from Section 2.1 FINDINGS:

"Following analysis, only five measurands showed higher peak stresses for the
aerial mustering flights than for the certification flights. These were:
a. tail rotor drive shaft (TRDS) torque, with a maximum manoeuvre mean torque
1.04 times higher and a maximum cyclic range of torque 2.38 times higher than
for the certification flights;
b. tailcone forward vertical bending, with a maximum manoeuvre mean bending
1.14 times higher than for the certification flights;
c. aft push-pull tube force, with a maximum manoeuvre force 1.12 times higher
than for the certification flights;
d. main rotor station 16 bending, with a maximum manoeuvre mean bending 1.07
times higher than for the certification flights; and
e. main rotor station 32 bending, with a maximum cyclic range of torque 1.03
times higher than for the certification flights."

belly tank
28th Dec 2016, 11:38
Commercial musterers usually do quite a few hours per year.

Topend, was this a freudian slip ?..

With all due respect as i tend to agree with some of your theories / posts.

I agree there are a lot of professional mustering guys out there but history tells us there is mass abuse of machines in this sector of the industry.

Ive seen it as a junior pilot and continue to hear about it 24 years later, I'm in the offshore game these days but i still care about my roots and young guys coming through the system, somehow i still think the R22/R44 will still be treated like a Toyota Utility.

topendtorque
2nd Jan 2017, 10:14
Hi BT, I don't wish to destroy your knowledge base just amend them somewhat re -abuse.

1. Abuse of machine due flying technique, not such an issue. Even though the ATSB report quotes bending moments in the M/R blade, don't forget this test was done prior to the automatic governor controls, thus there may be some bias toward lack of good RRPM control during the test phase. T/Boom bending moments, I could be way wrong but I think those mounts have also been beefed up since that time..

2. Abuse of hour recording. I believe your assumptions may hold a fair amount of water.

Re 2, I am often told that 90% of the total AD's re the R22 type emanate from northern Queensland.
cheers tet.

givdrvr
2nd Jan 2017, 17:49
An interesting tidbit in the report as I comprehended it, is that the mustering aeronautical data was collected by Robinson during simulated mustering activities conducted by the factory.

KiwiNedNZ
2nd Jan 2017, 19:40
simulated mustering activities conducted by the factory

Yeah no bias there :ok::D:D:D

Self loading bear
2nd Jan 2017, 21:12
And we all know which football is really though. Australian or Americian?

SLB