PDA

View Full Version : RAF Hercules Tankers

terry holloway
19th Dec 2016, 16:53
Marshall of Cambridge converted 6 x C130 aircraft into tankers starting in 1982 and they were retired in 2000. They were used for "training" whilst they were in RAF Service but I wonder if anyone knows if they were ever used in any "live operations" and if so what and when?! I am eager to have this info for a book project.

Pontius Navigator
19th Dec 2016, 17:44
They were used as the Long Tanker on the Falklands Air bridge from ASI and on the FI for the F4

terry holloway
19th Dec 2016, 18:00
They were used as the Long Tanker on the Falklands Air bridge from ASI and on the FI for the F4
Thanks! Can you elaborate on the air bridge please. I thought that once there was an air Head in the Falklnds that put it within range of ASI for the Hercules

Random Bloke
19th Dec 2016, 18:02
I've conducted AAR from an RAF C-130 tanker in a Nimrod on live operations. This forum is not the place to discuss details though.

sycamore
19th Dec 2016, 18:44
RB,ahh,so it was you who snook up and stole all our fuel....

Pontius Navigator
19th Dec 2016, 18:56
TH, didn't have time at first.

Once Stanley was open the Herc freighter would depart ASI with the Long Herd in company. A while later the Short tanker, a Victor, would depart and at a 'short' distance from ASI would refuel the long Herc which would already have refuelled the freighter. The two Hercs would continue to the long refuelling bracket, top up Herc and return to ASI. The freighter could then reach FI and, if necessary, divert to Uruguay.

The northbound freighter was unrefueled.

I am sure some Herc guys can fill in any blanks.

Dougie M
19th Dec 2016, 19:41
Spent a few hair raising hours in the South Atlantic tobogganing behind one of these.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/ff50681b-a2dc-4c48-9754-106bf0fb3e6a_zpsuoz5f4mx.jpg

Top Bunk Tester
19th Dec 2016, 19:47
Def used to tank it's sister Herc in the Falklands during live SAROPS

Wander00
19th Dec 2016, 21:40
ISTR that the then Mr Marshall, in 1969 drove a Bentley, reg no MCE 777. At the time I was production controlling Concorde nose and visor assemblies. Then Marshall won the Hercules support contract, and MCE 777 was transferred to a Cadillac

Tea White Zero
19th Dec 2016, 21:42
The Air Historical Branch will have all your answers!

Ken Scott
19th Dec 2016, 22:30
1312 Flt were based at MPA for many years after the air bridge was withdrawn with the C130 tankers providing AAR support to the resident fighters, F4s then F3s, as well as providing SAR cover in the area & air dropping supplies to places such as the South Georgia garrison. When the C130K tankers were withdrawn from service they were replaced by a Tristar (later a Voyager) & a 'flatbed' C130K, (later a C130J). The tanker was a versatile bit of kit, well suited to its tasks in the Falklands, as shown by what was needed to replace it.

BEagle
20th Dec 2016, 07:04
Wrong, Ken...

1312 Flt moved from RAF Stanley and operated the C130K until 1996. The MPA tanker type which then replaced the C130 tanker was the VC10K and the flight then operated one VC10K and one non-tanker C130 for 17 years from 1996 until the VC10K4 was retired from service in 2013. The task was then inherited by the TriStar for about a year before a Voyager was deployed as the new MPA tanker to support the Typhoons based there.

Currently 1312 Flt operates one Voyager and one C130J. As the RAF's A400M does not have an AAR role, due in main to the AirTanker contract, although it would be perfectly capable of meeting all MPA-based tasks, the A400M is not likely to be deployed until the C130J is retired from service - if the commitment is still required, of course...

vascodegama
20th Dec 2016, 07:11
1312 Flt were based at MPA for many years after the air bridge was withdrawn with the C130 tankers providing AAR support to the resident fighters, F4s then F3s, as well as providing SAR cover in the area & air dropping supplies to places such as the South Georgia garrison. When the C130K tankers were withdrawn from service they were replaced by a Tristar (later a Voyager) & a 'flatbed' C130K, (later a C130J). The tanker was a versatile bit of kit, well suited to its tasks in the Falklands, as shown by what was needed to replace it.

The 2 Herc tankers were replaced by a VC10 (1996-2013) ; the flatbed was already there as part of the 3 ac 1312 flt. It simply remained as part of the mixed fleet.

On the air bridge options 8 , 9 and 10 there was only one refuelling for the freighter. The long slot tanker had to refuel from the short slot but the freighter did not.

Cows getting bigger
20th Dec 2016, 07:17
I remember one occasion when 1312's QRA C130 got airborne before the F4 :) That's good going!

Ken Scott
20th Dec 2016, 07:53
Sorry, I'd forgotten about the VC10, such a memorable aircraft.......!

Just the 2 Herc tankers when I was there, no flatbed required as they could do everything by themselves.

ORAC
20th Dec 2016, 08:33
I remember one occasion when 1312's QRA C130 got airborne before the F4 That's good going! The C-130 was always supposed to launch first to ensure AAR was available to support holding and/or diversion if the runway went Black.

Cows getting bigger
20th Dec 2016, 09:12
Not when I was at MPA in the late 80s.

Four Turbo
20th Dec 2016, 13:59
I was there! The first tanker was Mk 1 converted over a long weekend (at Marshall's?), then air tested going South. Rumours were heard of a lot of fuel sloshing around! More were then converted in very slightly slower time using whatever HDUs could be found - including a museum piece.
We then decamped to Ascension to support the airbridge. We left full and usually filled up again from a Victor mid South atlantic. We then topped the Herc airbridge so it arrived at Stanley with SA diversion fuel available. And yes, there were variations on that plot.

Pontius Navigator
20th Dec 2016, 14:41
4T May be able to flesh out the following.

IIRC the short Victor was airborne for about 3 hours which would put the long Herc top up at about 750 miles. The long Herc was airborne about 10 hours which would put the final bracket at about 1,500 miles.

I was in ops and we were not concerned with the trail details.

Brian W May
20th Dec 2016, 14:50
God it was so much easier to take fuel from the Hercules than the Victor or VC10. Just a mild toboggan.

On my prods we took about 28,000 lbs about 5-6 hours out from ASI, then the poor sods turned around and flew all the way back to ASI.

12 hour trip ish, ASI - ASI

Heathrow Harry
20th Dec 2016, 14:51
If you go to Google Earth you can see one on the tarmac.......

Dougie M
20th Dec 2016, 15:06
I seem to recall that after pushing the tanker to the end of the bracket still plugged in we were burning his fuel because we were full but the weather was bad in FI. A terse request to poke off was received because they had barely enough fuel to trudge back to ASI. Both aircraft pulled abeam and the navs traded positions before "boomerang airways" headed back. At this point they played a motown tune on the radio...."Do know.. where you're going to...."
Only another 6 hours to go!

Four Turbo
20th Dec 2016, 15:46
Yes, above details are about right. ASI -ASI was usually over 12 hours. I will find my logbook if anyone needs exact details. 'Poor Sods' - oh, I don't know. Lots of peace and quiet (no ATC to talk to), exciting toboggan behind a Victor, fill up the airbridge, then 6+ hours of peace and quiet (and not arriving at Stanley). Plenty of time for reading and eating. Then 24+ hours off, with the Americans in the early days and then later around English Cove or the ASI pool. The Dakar pool was better though!

Pontius Navigator
20th Dec 2016, 16:19
English Bay or Comfortless Cove.

In addition to the codes we provided cross words and the BBC World Service programme schedules.

terry holloway
20th Dec 2016, 16:24
ISTR that the then Mr Marshall, in 1969 drove a Bentley, reg no MCE 777. At the time I was production controlling Concorde nose and visor assemblies. Then Marshall won the Hercules support contract, and MCE 777 was transferred to a Cadillac
That is correct. Later Sir Arthur Marshall.

ORAC
20th Dec 2016, 16:40
I recall one concert party left ASI on the airbridge and got to the decision point and, because of the FI forecast, it turned back to ASI - where they and their kit were offloaded on the pan and loaded on another C-130 and sent off south again - stumbling off the aircraft after about 28 hours on the back of one then the other; then were loaded straight on a Wokka to make their first show at Mount Byron.

The show must go on.........

MPN11
20th Dec 2016, 17:18
Stanley Stn Cdr, one Gp Capt Graydon [later ACM Sir Michael] doing his first prod on the KC-130 in 1983. Straight in, just like that! I was later pleased to be asked for a copy of that photo for him!

Tricky keeping your arm and camera out of the way as the hose reeled in and out, though!

I have a similar Harrier one as well, if anyone is interested. {ah, found the photo}

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm468/atco5473/PPRuNe%20ATC/Graydon.jpeg

vascodegama
20th Dec 2016, 19:18
A quick look in an old log book shows a lot of option 8 sorties of 2.45 duration . I seem to remember that we were usually in the outside bar at ASI OM as the Herc long slot got back.

Dan Gerous
20th Dec 2016, 20:10
MPM11, those type of shots were done to death by everyone who got up in a Herc down South. They were forever featured in Air Clues. I finally got a go in 1983,but the loadie was either new to the job or refuelling and wouldn't let any of us pax anywhere near the hose where it exited the airframe. Still a nice jolly though, and got some slides somewhere.

dragartist
20th Dec 2016, 20:41
Terry,
Not seen a chap named AA62 on here for a while. (Mind you I don't check in that regularly).
He should be able to help you out.
There is a bit in Richard Tanners book if you have access to it.
See you at SAM in February.

Tengah Type
20th Dec 2016, 21:23
Paper cups on the probes. Apochryphal?

terry holloway
20th Dec 2016, 22:24
Terry,
Not seen a chap named AA62 on here for a while. (Mind you I don't check in that regularly).
He should be able to help you out.
There is a bit in Richard Tanners book if you have access to it.
See you at SAM in February.
What's his real name please? Perhaps by pm!

MAINJAFAD
20th Dec 2016, 23:47
A lot easier to take a photo of a Harrier than a Phantom from that position, MPM11. The phantom shot has a lot of hose in it if taken from the starboard side. Indeed it is a lot of fun trying to position the camera without aid of a viewfinder with both arms (plus head in close proximity) wrapped around a moving hose. my flight was in XV201 if memory serves in Jan 1989.

Wander00
21st Dec 2016, 14:03
Terry, many years later I was back in the RAF but as a scribbly. BoB Memorial Service and I was "doing" the AFB seating area. Down the aisle comes Sir Arthur - I stopped a colleague about to go and usher him wit "I'll take this one". Walked up and "Good morning, Sir Arthur". He was a second or two taking in the sqn ldr uniform and colour sash, then grinned and replied "Didn't you used to work for me?" We had a few minutes conversation as I showed him to his seat. Later when I was at Wyton I saw his son, Michael, a few times, usually when the ATC were having their Wing Parade.

Mil-26Man
21st Dec 2016, 14:34
I've conducted AAR from an RAF C-130 tanker in a Nimrod on live operations. This forum is not the place to discuss details though.

Why mention it then?

Pontius Navigator
21st Dec 2016, 15:48
Mm, the operation man, not the fact

Random Bloke
21st Dec 2016, 16:04
Mil,

...err, because, if you read the thread starter's original question, he wants to know if any live operations were carried out with a Hercules tanker. I am able to answer his question in the affirmative but not give specific details. Thus helping a fellow Ppruner without compromising the official secrets act.

Reading through this thread has jogged my memory though: I have conducted AAR operations from a Hercules tanker in a Nimrod en-route to and from the Falkland Islands.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
22nd Dec 2016, 11:33
ORAC/PN

Had a similar experience myself in transit as one of the first REMFs deployed to relieve the original TAC-ATC guys. Following arrival at ASI, courtesy Vickers Funbus, we happy band of miscellaneous brothers were packed into the transport Herc after it had been bulked-out with freight with the exhortation “find a place and lie in it – don’t recommend the ramp it gets f f f flaming cold there…” And so, off we sauntered. This where my memory is at odds with Pontius as I clearly recall the first 2 refuelling brackets were C130 to C130 and the long slot was a Victor. :confused:

Bracket 1 with a C-130 went fine as did Bracket 2 with another C-130. However, I managed to get onto the flight deck for Bracket 3 that was with the Victor at which point it was explained that one of the prop controls wasn’t doing its thing properly and the necessary control finesse probably wasn't available to toboggan with the Victor. I vividly recall viewing the dimples in the rivets at the back-end of the Victor and thinking "I prefer 3 or 5NMs/1000ft to this coat-of-paint separation standard!".

After 2 or 3 prodding tries, including one with the basket nearly bouncing on the cabin roof, it was “this one, or we’re back to ASI”…. Missed. About Turn – re-trog back to ASI. Land. “Right you lot – we’re doing a frame change; grab some kip in a tent somewhere – we’ll be off again in about 4 hrs”. So it was, scran, camp bed, no sleep, rise and shine and ‘seconds away, round 2’. Made it the second time, but by the time we got to Port Stanley’s 4,100ft – yet to be extended - runway our eyes were rotating like the Herc’s props. Still, “get some kip, you’ve got your PAR check-out and Local Knowledge examination tomorrow” re-orientated one’s priorities.

Later, once the runway had been extended to 6,100ft and the F4’s arrived, the based ac complement comprised 6(?) F4s, 8 GR3 Harriers, 2 Tanker/MPA Hercs, 2 SAR Kings, 4(?) Chinooks and usually 1 Herc Freighter rotating through on a turnaround. Routine Ops comprised PIs and ‘Presence’ sorties: 2 F4’s, 4 Harriers as MFF/close support trng, 1 C130 Tanker support. Recovered in the order: land Harriers between cables, taxi onto apron to hold while landing 1 x F4 into cable, taxi Harriers for pushback into HARDET while cable is being rewound, land second F4 into cable; instead of re-winding, de-rig cable so Herc Tanker can land, re-rig/rewind cable, when the Herc’s clear. The process was based on American carrier ‘Case’ recoveries; it worked very well especially when the Fire Crews got into their stride on the cable re-winds. The Harriers were always an incentive for the Fire Crews to get a ‘wiggle on’ as they waited (impatiently!) for the first F4 to be got out of the cable. It all slowed down unfortunately when the BAK-13s were ‘withdrawn from use’ as they could take something like 10 arrests an hour and re-wound semi-automatically, like a carriers’ wire. The RHAG was a much gentler arrest but was restricted to 4 arrests an hour and was a faff to re-wind.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Dec 2016, 14:20
DM, what I described was only one option and was the most used. You will note Vasco confirmed the flight time for the short Victor. Four Turbo confirmed to brackets for the long Herc. There was an option for two Victors which would push the long Victor flight time to 7 hrs 30 or so.

Fuel wise the Victor/Herc option was more economical than the Victor/Victor and more comfortable for the freighter.

Incidentally the freighter was not refuelled north bound.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
22nd Dec 2016, 15:48
Thanks PN - I thought a visit to the GP might be in order ref the onset of incipient Alzheimer's! Definitely didn't AAR on the the return leg, but it was sooooo loooong!

Without knowing the delivery dates of the Herc Tankers, could it be that, with 2 tankers at Port Stanley, there weren't enough Herc Tanker assets available at ASI in the early days of the Airbridge operation, leading to the heavier Victor utilisation? ASI still seemed to be covered with Victors in Sep 82.

Four Turbo
22nd Dec 2016, 16:05
Herc tanker airbridge ops pre-dated the arrival of tankers at Stanley by some months (a year?)

Pontius Navigator
22nd Dec 2016, 16:30
Downwind, Victors were there into 1985. Once MPA was opened the trooping switched to T* and then BA Charter. The Air Bridge Herc sorties dropped to I believe one per week. The effect was I was disestablished and grabbed the next 10 home :)

WIDN62
22nd Dec 2016, 22:32
Southbound, the airbridge had to have diversion fuel for the friendly bits of South America - hence the need to refuel.
Northbound, Ascension Island was an authorised Island Holding destination because the weather was never bad there, was it?!?!

Pontius Navigator
23rd Dec 2016, 08:15
Widn, I was there whgen it rained. This was before the huge channel dug passed Travellers. The water cascaded through the narrow trench dug by PSA in the camp which then washed away the ground around some huts. The road to the airhead split length ways, the bridge on the road too Cricket Valley was underwater. The sports pitch in Georgetown was also riven with channels. Over 4 inches of rain in one hour on Georgetown.

I guess the airfield would have been black for a couple of hours.

ORAC
23rd Dec 2016, 08:59
I blame Green Mountain....

Dougie M
23rd Dec 2016, 09:23
On the northbound leg of the airbridge there were numerous ways of approaching to ASI due to the lack of ATC control in the South Atlantic. Some crews kept the wind on the tail (zero drift) as far north as possible putting them closer to South Africa than South America. Others cruise climbed gently as weight and temperature allowed. I always kept a Last Point of Diversion (LPD) to Recife in my back pocket when ASI weather was iffy. The famous story of the return to ASI by one eyed B*** A****** when the weather clamped is recorded in another thread but after using up all his "Island Holding" fuel he briefed "In the event of a go round on this approach I intend to crash in the sea along the line of the beach while the engines are still turning" they saw the approach lights. It wasn't always beer and skittles on the return half.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Dec 2016, 10:24
DM, given the lack of ASR one might have hoped the offshore supply ships had a RIB.

PS, we had no crash or ditching plan that I was aware of. On the runway the crash trucks at sea . . .or on land, iffy

Clunk60
23rd Dec 2016, 14:51
DM, I'm out for a Xmas beer with the Flt Eng on that infamous trip this evening. He's always quite philosophical about the incident and it was great to see that crews reunion at his leaving do at the now defunct secret Wiltshire airbase.

Lordflasheart
23rd Dec 2016, 22:53
Once MPA was opened the trooping switched to T* and then BA Charter.

Point of order if I may, Pontius-N - IIRC the correct order of events was - MPA opened, BA Charter for six months, possibly someone else’s charter, then T* - Followed by Compliments of the Season to you.

LFH

Pontius Navigator
24th Dec 2016, 09:04
LFH, not quite. I was on the jump seat for the first flight in to MPA. The second flight with the VIPs to officially open the airfield was also a T*. Only after that did BA get the contract.

Interestingly FIADGE had not realised that they would not have UHF Comms with the BA aircraft and they had to cobble a plan together at the last moment. I can't remember but is it possible the T* didn't have UHF either at that time.

We were clearer to brief the BA crews on the SHORAD procedures. I said this was unnecessary. All we had to do was give them a comms out procedure with a defined entry corridor and clear of the BDZ. This was accepted.

When the first BA crew came in to ASI Ops there were about 30 of them - I think they brought every man and his dog (no women) in and most filed straight out again. I recall their chief navigation officer there was Peter Royce.

ORAC
24th Dec 2016, 09:39
I was Ops1 at Stanley in 1985 when MPA opened. What I do remember is the departure of the first BA 747.

The crew had been persuaded to do a fly past at Stanley to allow those on board to say goodbye. So after take off they transited to Stanley at low level and did a low pass down the runway with a slow wing waggle so everyone at the windows could wave gleefully at those left behind.

IIRC when BA found out about it they went ballistic and took disciplinary action against the crew; all subsequent departures following the standard departure route.

Pontius Navigator
24th Dec 2016, 14:44
Digressing but BA allowed the only 3 pax on a flight Gib-UK earlier this month to go on the flight deck.

After the pictures appeared in the Daily Wail yesterday I bet that was another b*ll*cking

MPN11
24th Dec 2016, 15:29
I was Ops1 at Stanley in 1985 when MPA opened. What I do remember is the departure of the first BA 747.

The crew had been persuaded to do a fly past at Stanley to allow those on board to say goodbye. So after take off they transited to Stanley at low level and did a low pass down the runway with a slow wing waggle so everyone at the windows could wave gleefully at those left behind.

IIRC when BA found out about it they went ballistic and took disciplinary action against the crew; all subsequent departures following the standard departure route.
That's what happens when civvies get involved in Mil activity :(

How sad.

Trumpet_trousers
24th Dec 2016, 15:49
Digressing but BA allowed the only 3 pax on a flight Gib-UK earlier this month to go on the flight deck.

After the pictures appeared in the Daily Wail yesterday I bet that was another b*ll*cking

I think you will find that the flight deck visit only occurred once on the ground back in UK.

Pontius Navigator
24th Dec 2016, 16:44
TT, thank you, best to be clear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4059028/Three-British-Airways-passengers-fliers-flight.html

Trumpet_trousers
24th Dec 2016, 16:52
When the flight landed, Laura and Sarah, who is from Gibraltar, and Laurie-Lin, from Glasgow, took selfies in the cockpit and say ground staff 'couldn't believe' there were just three passengers aboard.

(Towards the end of the article, although the photo caption tries to give a different impression - who'd have thunk that of the Daily Fail??)

diginagain
26th Dec 2016, 09:53
What I do remember is the departure of the first BA 747.

Me too. It had been touch-and-go as to whether we would be returning on the Uganda or with BA.

Pontius Navigator
26th Dec 2016, 17:20
Digin, I thought the Herc air bridge replaced Uganda. Uganda was retired on 25 Apr 1985. MPA opened 12 May.

diginagain
26th Dec 2016, 22:46
Digin, I thought the Herc air bridge replaced Uganda. Uganda was retired on 25 Apr 1985. MPA opened 12 May.
Our end of the command-chain were convinced we'd be sailing the U-boat to the breakers yard, while the grown-ups would take the Herc, as per our journey South. As it transpired we returned to the UK as a complete Squadron.

Pontius Navigator
27th Dec 2016, 06:53
Scuttle boat then :)
Our end of the command-chain were convinced we'd be sailing the U-boat to the breakers yard, while the grown-ups would take the Herc, as per our journey South. As it transpired we returned to the UK as a complete Squadron.

diginagain
27th Dec 2016, 08:08
Scuttle boat then :)

Surprised it never self-scuttled.

GLIDER 90
2nd Apr 2018, 12:40
Went for a 4.30 hour trip in a C130 whilst in the falklands, at low level around the islands good fun!!

Wycombe
3rd Apr 2018, 07:20
Read somewhere that "Albert" is about to be replaced (or maybe already has been) by Atlas down south?

Heidhurtin
3rd Apr 2018, 09:12
ORAC - I remember the 747 low pass over Stanley, but wasn't this the final BA747 before the Timmies took over, probably in 86 (ish) -I did so many tours there in the 80s it all blurs into one. I also remember being stuck in Stanley for days, with my baggage waiting at MPA, cursing the crabs who thought a twice weekly Tristar could replace a thrice weekly 747.
Fonder memories of a jolly in the Herc tanker, low level and banked to what seemed like an unlikely 90 degrees, then playing "fighter affiliation"(?) with the F4s. Halcyon days, although I'd have used a different expression at the start of my 4th tour....

Davef68
3rd Apr 2018, 09:51
Read somewhere that "Albert" is about to be replaced (or maybe already has been) by Atlas down south?

Pic on the BFSAI FB page showed the first Atlas (ZM415) arriving on 28th March

https://www.facebook.com/British.Forces.South.Atlantic.Islands/

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/29352141_197118734227929_3838391409118686129_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b5f0893c2de7fe999ee8d95482454d04&oe=5B2DC41D

Top Bunk Tester
3rd Apr 2018, 13:08
Might as well do MRR, it’s (allegedly) fork all use for anything else :bored:

Brian W May
3rd Apr 2018, 21:08
Might as well do MRR, it’s (allegedly) fork all use for antyhing else :bored:

Yep .

Tea White Zero
4th Apr 2018, 19:34
ahhh excellent. Nice to see every post can get in a bit of A400 bashing so quickly.

I wonder how long it will be before we hear 'the K-model' can't be beaten - its still the best ac around!' etc etc

Let's all reminisce in the good times with our ac and the crews of the day and let those of today get on with what they can in challenging conditions.

Fly safe all

ExAscoteer
4th Apr 2018, 19:58
I've never posted here about A400.

However, bottom line is that A400 can't do AAR, can't do airdrop, costs more per unit than C17 and is less capable than C17.

Oh and it can't do what Albert did/does.

But hey, you stay with your narrative. ;)

Tea White Zero
4th Apr 2018, 20:10
EX-Ascoteer

You miss my point. There is no denying the capability gap...... yet it is still there.

I prefer to be upbeat and remember good times and look forward to when the new kid on the block can do. I remember all the same bashing when the J came in - some have short memories.

Always look on the bright side of life, da-dum, da-da-da-da-da-dum:)

melmothtw
4th Apr 2018, 20:37
costs more per unit than C17 and is less capable than C17.

Aside from the fact that you can't buy a C-17 anymore and so that argument is moot, no it does not cost more per unit.

Luxembourg recently disclosed it paid EUR197 million (USD240 million) for its single A400M, while India has just signed a USD262 million deal for a single C-17.

As for capability, unless you're looking to airlift a main battle tank the A400M will do everything that a C-17 can do, but cheaper.

As for the UK, what does it matter anyway which is best? We have both.

Lockstock
4th Apr 2018, 22:59
A400 can't do AAR Wrong

can't do airdrop Wrong

costs more per unit than C17 Wrong

and is less capable than C17 Wrong

Oh and it can't do what Albert did/does. Wrong

Nice soundbites.. but hey, you stick with your narrative ;)

theloudone
5th Apr 2018, 05:17
I guess only time will tell how durable the 400m really is. So far it has struggled in a lot of avenues, it`s proved extremely costly and poor leadership hasn`t helped Airbus in this case.

ksimboy
5th Apr 2018, 08:41
Back to the Tanking stories. I recall having to use Kimwipe and water from the emergency flasks to wrap round the hose as the seals on the doors never seemed to reseat properly.

ORAC
5th Apr 2018, 09:03
Heidhurtin.

I arrived in MPA on a TriStar around 23rd May 1985 to be in-post as Ops1 at Stanley on 1st June 85. MPA was officially opened about a week before my arrival. The 747 flypast was about 1-2 weeks later. Definitely the first, not the last.

Heidhurtin
5th Apr 2018, 13:09
ORAC - I bow to your memory/record keeping being better than mine. As I said, it all seems to blur into a single memory these days, as RE we were much in demand down south back then, but I think that tour was with EOD so must have been 85-86 ish.

How long did the 747 service last before being replaced by the Tristar? I definitely remember the low pass, but I also have pictures (somewhere) of a 747 landing with a spare Tristar engine under one wing, prior to the Tristar taking over fully, and I certainly recall being stranded in Stanley at tourex waiting for the Tristar. Is it possible there were 2 low passes?

Edited to add: it's entirely possible I'm confusing 2 separate tours...

Brian W May
5th Apr 2018, 14:22
I've never posted here about A400.

However, bottom line is that A400 can't do AAR, can't do airdrop, costs more per unit than C17 and is less capable than C17.

Oh and it can't do what Albert did/does.

But hey, you stay with your narrative. ;)

Yep, spot on and why let facts get in the way of a good story. A400 looks like it should have been designed by the Russians . . .

ORAC
5th Apr 2018, 14:52
Heidhurtin.

My dates come from record of service in my filing cabinet. Digging on the internet reveals a photo of a Tristar and 5 engined 747 on the pan around the same time, I presume a week later. Further digging reveals that the last BA 747 did a low circuit at MPA on departure before climb out.

The first one got in trouble both for the low level transit to Stanley as well as the low pass down the runway with with wing rock.

Heidhurtin
5th Apr 2018, 15:17
Thanks ORAC. I watched the 5-engined 747 land after being forewarned by some RAF chaps. My initial scepticism led to the whole affair costing me a crate! I also recall the low pass over Stanley so perhaps I am confusing separate tours. I think your googling skills may also be superior to mine!

Trumpet_trousers
5th Apr 2018, 20:28
Good to see the cognoscenti still on the case of the A400M.... not

ORAC
6th Apr 2018, 05:18
Heidhurtin,

All sorts of stuff out there. First 747 landing and crew signatures for example....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUfCykkW4AAfYcl?format=jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU3MPFOX4AE4wzN?format=jpg

Series of photos from the time.

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2009/thefalklands.php

cheifofdefence
6th Apr 2018, 10:31
Not sure if this has been posted before but any truth in the story about a C130 en route to MPA calling up ASI ops with the callsign 'Speedbird 1' (i.e. Concorde) and asking for a low flypast resulting in a number of execs congregating on the pan only to witness the rather dull spectacle of Albert chugging in on long finals.

Lyneham Lad
6th Apr 2018, 18:55
Forgive my ignorance of matters 'South Atlantic' - I was never 'blessed' with a tour on the FI. Didn't the C-130 fulfil the role of providing a top-up for whatever fast jets were resident over the years? There have been claims in the thread that the A400 does not (at the moment anyway) meet that requirement. If so, how are the Typhoons going to receive an emergency fill-up when the weather goes t1ts-up?

ORAC
6th Apr 2018, 19:10
It’s not being deployed as a tanker, that role is being fulfilled by the Voyager.

“Replacing the long serving Hercules aircraft, A400M will take over as BFSAI's tactical airlift capability delivering maritime reconnaissance, search and rescue and humanitarian assistance.”....

Fareastdriver
6th Apr 2018, 19:17
The Iranians used the Hercules as a tanker. The IL 76 behind didn't do very well though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkmZGh-Le8

This shot describes it as a mid air but it was not. The scanner detached itself and removed the tailplane assembly so it is first shown entering a negative 'G' inverted spin as the C of G went violently forward. The wingtip vortices are the fuel dumping through the vent system.

Lyneham Lad
6th Apr 2018, 19:28
It’s not being deployed as a tanker, that role is being fulfilled by the Voyager.

“Replacing the long serving Hercules aircraft, A400M will take over as BFSAI's tactical airlift capability delivering maritime reconnaissance, search and rescue and humanitarian assistance.”....

Thank you. :ok: