PDA

View Full Version : MERT flight April 2010

Al R
17th Dec 2016, 20:00
I'm trying to track down anyone who may have flown a MERT flight on April 11th 2010 back into Bastion. I'm assuming it was an Odiham unit. Can anyone offer me a few pointers about where to start or who may be able to help, etc? The reason is genuine, your passenger on the return leg of the journey needs some background for a book, that's all.

Many thanks.

FutureIsHelos
17th Dec 2016, 22:35
Al R - check your private messages

Al R
18th Dec 2016, 00:19
Incredible, and responded. Thank you.

wokkamate
18th Dec 2016, 08:26
You should have got a PM from someone who can help. :ok:

Al R
18th Dec 2016, 09:59
I have.. and if it was you who put it on the Chinook Facebook page, thank you.

What an absolutely amazing result, and at Christmas too. One or two others reading this, I know, are aware of his journey and Shaun has so much to be grateful that folk of your calibre were there for him when he needed them. To that list, we can now add one more. Shaun's partner gave birth to a little boy on Christmas Day too, with groundbreaking surgery, so the effort made on that day will go on being rewarded.

Ex-soldier shows BBC secrets behind his style - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38335148)

Blind veteran Shaun Stocker 'closing chapter' on recovery - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34751262)

Soldier who lost testicles, legs and sight after stepping on bomb becomes dad on Christmas Day - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/soldier-who-lost-testicles-legs-7110680)

Tashengurt
18th Dec 2016, 15:03
That's pretty amazing stuff. All the more so that in the midst of saving his life the medics were thinking of his future.

Davef68
18th Dec 2016, 21:44
Remarkable, well done to the Docs to even think of prioritising this

Evalu8ter
19th Dec 2016, 11:03
What a wonderful story of skill, courage and hope.

For those that haven't seen it, this is a powerful video...

Lessons from the Battlefield - DAS SMACC (http://www.smacc.net.au/2016/11/lessons-from-the-battlefield/)

Avtur
19th Dec 2016, 13:17
Powerful indeed. Amazing people.

Wander00
19th Dec 2016, 14:57
An amazing story of personal courage, and brilliant thinking by the medics. I am lost in admiration

Al R
20th Dec 2016, 19:57
Shaun and his pilot on that day had a good catch up today. I told him he'd never complain about women drivers again. Thank you PPRuNe and Facebook.

tartare
20th Dec 2016, 22:02
Was the Chinook driver a woman?
What guts - incredible guy.

Al R
21st Dec 2016, 23:21
Yes. And she didn't spare the horses.

This was on yesterday afternoon, in a similar vein (awesomeness in the skies), and well worth a listen.

BBC Radio 4 - Afternoon Drama, Mercury 13 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04pss4s)

MightyGem
22nd Dec 2016, 18:59
For those that haven't seen it, this is a powerful video...

Hmm..can't see the video. Anyone have a link to it on Vimeo?

AnglianAV8R
22nd Dec 2016, 20:37
Hmm..can't see the video. Anyone have a link to it on Vimeo?
Lessons from the Battlefield - DAS SMACC (http://www.smacc.net.au/2016/11/lessons-from-the-battlefield/) Ah, that didn't work. Trying again.... www.smacc.net.au/2016/11/lessons-from-the-battlefield/Lessons from the Battlefield-DAS SMACC

Looks like a partial link, but it seems to work at this end.

BossEyed
22nd Dec 2016, 20:40
Shaun and his pilot on that day had a good catch up today. I told him he'd never complain about women drivers again. Thank you PPRuNe and Facebook.

PPRuNe (and FB) get a lot of stick, not always unfairly.

But I am already agog by that one-liner and am desperate to know more. :D :ok:

MightyGem
22nd Dec 2016, 21:13
Thanks, Anglian. I get that link ok, I just get "Invalid meta for Vimeo" in the video window.

Sky Sports
23rd Dec 2016, 13:19
Was the pilot Bianca?

hippocrates
25th Dec 2016, 09:20
Cheers for your help with this Al.
One of my proudest days as a surgeon was seeing Shaun walk down the aisle at his wedding.
The challenge now, in these times of further cuts to medical personnel, is to never forget the lessons that i and others have learnt and that are written in the blood, sweat and tears of patients, doctors, nurses, MERT medical and aircrew, CCAST medical and aircrew, the WM Police outriders that treated every patient as a Presidential motorcade on the journey from C17 to RCDM in WM NHS ambulances any time 24/7 and everyone else that played their part in what was probably the most impressive aeromed pathway in the world at that time.
The collaboration of military and NHS medical and nursing staff that is the RCDM would not have had such good results if the patients had not arrived in such good shape. Often better than they left Bastion.
Merry Christmas,
Hippo

air pig
25th Dec 2016, 12:32
Cheers for your help with this Al.
One of my proudest days as a surgeon was seeing Shaun walk down the aisle at his wedding.
The challenge now, in these times of further cuts to medical personnel, is to never forget the lessons that i and others have learnt and that are written in the blood, sweat and tears of patients, doctors, nurses, MERT medical and aircrew, CCAST medical and aircrew, the WM Police outriders that treated every patient as a Presidential motorcade on the journey from C17 to RCDM in WM NHS ambulances any time 24/7 and everyone else that played their part in what was probably the most impressive aeromed pathway in the world at that time.
The collaboration of military and NHS medical and nursing staff that is the RCDM would not have had such good results if the patients had not arrived in such good shape. Often better than they left Bastion.
Merry Christmas,
Hippo

Hippo, are writing the book as a personal account or is it a medical textbook of trauma management.

I totally agree with your sentiments that the knowledge learnt does not have to be re-learnt in 10 years time.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

AnglianAV8R
25th Dec 2016, 14:42
Moved to tears.

Bless you. Every last one in the chain, as described by Hippocrates.

May you all have peaceful Christmases for the rest of your days.

November4
25th Dec 2016, 17:26
Moved to tears.

Glad I am not the only one.

What we ask of our young men and women...

Those who walk the walk, those that have to pick them up, those who try and fix them after and those who support them....

Just incredible.