PDA

View Full Version : Drone near miss

nigelh
16th Dec 2016, 09:33
How many of you have had near miss with a drone ? Should we keep a record to show the hot spots ?
I was flying over Birmingham on Sunday at 2,000 ft and what could only be a drone sped past the windscreen and was climbing . Told ATC and they didn't seem too interested as it was below their airspace . Could have ruined our day though !!! 150 knots hitting a kg or more of metal and plastic could have ended in the whole lot raining down onto the Bull Ring !!!

S92PAX
16th Dec 2016, 11:51
I would happily see all drone banned but "what could only be a drone" is stretching things quite a lot. Why could it only be a drone? More likely a bird but its obvious you had no idea what it was.

Thomas coupling
16th Dec 2016, 12:18
Absolutely, Airprox it. It's your duty Nige.

S92PAX
16th Dec 2016, 13:12
But airprox it as what? Make a case against drones by all means but at least have the decency to be factual.

16th Dec 2016, 14:45
If you can accurately state that it wasn't a bird, plastic bag, helium balloon etc then absolutely airprox it.

As you say, at 150 kts these things are going to ruin someone's day sooner or later and the more data the CAA has, the more likely they are to act before the event.

SilsoeSid
16th Dec 2016, 14:49
Nige, if you were over Birmingham at 2000ft, especially within 'raining distance' of the Bullring, you were most certainly were in their airspace.

If you are convinced it was a drone, then surely it is your duty to airprox the incident, the airprox board's primary objective is to enhance air safety in the U.K. and they can only do that with our assistance.

You won't be the first to airprox a drone.
https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/search/?query=drone

SilsoeSid
16th Dec 2016, 15:03
Current Drone Airprox Count and Information.
(Covers Feb 2010 to Nov 2016.)

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/Standard_content/Topical_Issues_and_Themes/Current%20Drone%20Airprox%20Count%20and%20Information.xlsx

DOUBLE BOGEY
16th Dec 2016, 16:47
S92PAX - I suspect you are not a pilot OR you have never experienced the rate of closure and late acquisition of small targets like birds and drones and how little time it leaves the pilot to either react or even fully visualise what the object is. I would suggest that Nigel has been around long enough to know it would not have been a bird leaving only the possibility of a mechanical object ie drone. Sorry for my rebuttal by your post seems a bit silly unless of course you are one of those dreaded Drone Pilots!

jeepys
16th Dec 2016, 18:28
Unfortunately a drone that is sub 7kg can fly in controlled airspace without permission.
This is going to become an increasing problem for pilots of manned aircraft and the sooner the CAA can tighten the rules the better.

S92PAX
17th Dec 2016, 08:54
DB,
I am a NPPL of a few years and a very keen model aircraft flyer so am fully aware of the points you raise.
These damned drones are causing legislation that would virtually ban model flying as it is enjoyed today and would love to see them banned. However seeing an object but not really knowing what it is is not going to make a very good case for restricting or banning them. I realise the difficulties that these high closing velocities can bring but can imagine how a comment such as "could only have been" in other words "I am guessing" could be taken to pieces by the pro drone group.

Camp Freddie
17th Dec 2016, 09:47
I had a near miss with a drone in the Heathrow zone last Sunday, Airprox filed, there was no doubt it was a drone, not filing doesn't help anybody

chopjock
17th Dec 2016, 20:19
"NEAR MISS" ha ha. Who thought of that expression? Surely a "NEAR HIT"

HEMS chap
17th Dec 2016, 20:58
I agree with that sentence chop jock!........As for drones I fear commercial pressure=money will just make life harder for us all. Especially in HEMS/EMS worldwide, cheers Amazon and others.......

17th Dec 2016, 21:44
The same person who thought up missile - when in fact you want a hittile:ok:

SilsoeSid
17th Dec 2016, 23:37
Unless of course you want that hittile to miss :ok:

ROGUE! .... no wait, that'll do.

E1VWPOpYbQI

nigelh
18th Dec 2016, 13:31
Ok , to be precise what I saw was not a bird as the first thing I saw was a light coming from it ! Unlikely to be model plane because of above and also my impression that it manoeuvred vertically as we closed in on it . We were just entering Birmingham Airspace from the South . I shall report it , as I agree , we should all do otherwise we will be partly responsible when the inevitable does happen to one of us .

19th Dec 2016, 07:36
Sid - yes, the 'top attack' version of the TOW (or slow) missile - does what it says on the tin.

Fired a few on SPTA and very glad I didn't have to do it for real - staying exposed for 23 seconds to hit a target at max range while lead might be flying the other way would not have been comfortable.

Thomas coupling
19th Dec 2016, 11:43
SS: That 'rate of change' over the years is scary. What will it take for the CAA to be predictive in this regard, A tightening of the rules and penalties should be considered now not after the first commercial jet is brought down.

helimutt
19th Dec 2016, 14:03
I would happily see all drone banned but "what could only be a drone" is stretching things quite a lot. Why could it only be a drone? More likely a bird but its obvious you had no idea what it was.

S92PAX why would you like them ALL banned? Some of us are qualified to fly them commercially. Those of us who have bothered to become qualified and certificated by the UK CAA, aren't likely to be an issue with other aircraft, especially when you're a professional pilot too! The people you have to worry about are the idiots out there.
Think of the law regarding shotguns or firearms. Its not usually the legal holders who use them in an illegal manner. I personally think its unfair to blame it all on 'drones' (or SUAV) unless you can genuinely prove it was one.
I didn't take kindly to the 4 fixed wing aircraft flying over my house this morning at less than 500'. It was unnecessary and probably illegal, military training or not. Shall we ban all aircraft in case one hits another? I've nearly hit more gliders than I have 'drones' but they still appear to be legal.

The rate of change is due to the market place. SUA are readily available now and have much more performance and capability than ever before. GPS positioning, 4K HD 20mp cameras, with a range of up to 8 miles and half hour battery life. I will put money on there being even more reports over the next few years. The CAA aren't interested in reports of illegal flying. Check the CAA website if you don't believe me. They recommend reporting it to the police force. Yes those with already overstretched resources. Saying that, myself and a friend were flying completely legally a few months back but fairly close to a certain area. Security called the police. Police informed Special Branch. We both had lengthy conversations with SB to explain ourselves, which must have taken at least 2-3 hours of their time in tracking us down after we'd left the area. Pulled out our insurance and CAA permissions to prove we weren't d*cking about. What a waste of police time and resources.

I'd just like to add, if people are flying the DJI drones, when using the DJI App, it records all flights, video, heights, speeds, distances and so makes checking people very easy. :)

Thomas coupling
20th Dec 2016, 09:07
There's your answer. The purchase of ALL drones irrespective of size/weight must be accompanied with an app which MUST be registered with the CAA. Simples.

The future is undoubtedly drones. Little ones now and within 10 years there will be the first Cargo Airbus/Boeing pilotless aircraft.

I see an ISIS(?) drone expert was taken out recently by Mossad (I believe) because he was making significant progress arming drones and preparing them for delivery.

We don't hear much about drone free zone defence do we - is there such a thing?

Sorry for droning on.

md 600 driver
20th Dec 2016, 09:14
The CAA are trying to regulate the problem ,but I think they have found them selves a cash cow

chopjock
20th Dec 2016, 10:00
but I think they have found them selves a cash cow

So that's over 2000 CAA approved operators at £112 each....

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Commercial_industry/Aircraft/Unmanned_aircraft/20160819RptUAVcurrent.pdf