PDA

View Full Version : Indonesian pilot found alive 2 weeks after crash

ORAC
11th Dec 2016, 12:14
Lucky guys. Surviving 2 weeks without eating - or something else eating them.....

Alert 5 » Indonesian Army Bell 412 pilot found alive 2 weeks after aircraft went down (http://alert5.com/2016/12/10/indonesian-army-bell-412-pilot-found-alive-2-weeks-after-aircraft-went-down/)

The co-pilot of a Indonesian Army Bell 412 by villagers on Dec. 8, two weeks after his helicopter crashed while on a supply mission in North Kalimantan. The Army told Jakarta Post that First Lt. Yohannes Syahputra suffered injuries to his hands, waist and legs. He was in a weak state as he had not eaten for days.

The crash took the lives of three others on board. A fourth person was rescued from the wreckage.

Tocsin
11th Dec 2016, 13:33
Once in a while you hear good news this long after :) Thanks, ORAC for reporting it.

Heathrow Harry
11th Dec 2016, 17:02
back in the ?70's or 80's? I heard a passenger in fatal helicopter crash in Irian Jaya turned up a month or so later - the locals had found him, patched him up and gradually moved him from tribe to tribe down to the coast - and these people were supposed to be head-hunters (NOT the ones you might wish to come calling)

Trash 'n' Navs
11th Dec 2016, 18:27
Lucky guys. Surviving 2 weeks without eating - or something else eating them.....

The crash took the lives of three others on board. A fourth person was rescued from the wreckage.

So was the Copilot not with the wreckage?

Fareastdriver
11th Dec 2016, 18:30
When I was in Borneo during Confrontation each pilot would have a Bergen with his survival gear consisting of rations, water purifiers and whatever else he wanted to take along.

In addition to extra food I took a carton of Rothmans and a pack of cards.

The plan was to sit in the shade smoking and playing patience. In no time at all somebody would look over your shoulder and tell you that there was a red eight to go on a black nine.

You're saved!

West Coast
11th Dec 2016, 20:00
I'm reminded of this story.

After Crashing His Air Force Jet the Pilot Walks Out of the Sierra Nevada?Hero or Traitor? | Granite Chief Blog (http://granitechief.com/blog/air-force-pilot-crashes-in-the-sierra-nevadahero-or-traitor/)

ORAC
11th Dec 2016, 20:57
I am reminded of the story from "Air America", where the CIS flew in a reputed jungle survival expert to brief their hoary old DC-3 crews on techniques.

At his lecture he looke aThe old wizened pilots and picked out one in the front wearing shorts and flip-flops, "how long", he asked, "would it take you walk out of the Jungle dressed like that?"

"Last time?, responded the pilot, "8 days".