PDA

View Full Version : New (short) YouTube video "Service to Civvy - Are you Pension ready?" posted by MoD.

Al R
8th Dec 2016, 08:34
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhFw_iahAow&feature=youtu.be

The snappy "You've earned it, you apply for it, we'll pay it" might come back to haunt them though. Anyway, welcome to 1978, you're entitled to one pension statement a year. And (lucky you) the online pension forecaster is still free.

W2Scribbler
8th Dec 2016, 11:15
Thanks as ever AL R for your support for a campaign which is actively trying to educate and assist the whole AFPS community. A lot of hard work and thought has gone into this. I hope others appreciate the product. Far too many people don't think about their AFPS benefits whether they are currently serving or veterans who have forgotten or unaware that they may have a preserved pension and that is what we have tried to address with this project.

Onceapilot
8th Dec 2016, 15:58
Far too many people don't think about their AFPS benefits
Nope, I do not believe that this is true. IMO, most DO think about their pension but, often give up when they try to find out because it is TFD.:*
JPA,... I tried for all the years that it existed to correct my profile, it was never right but, they somehow got my pension correct!?:ok: I am not sure how folk will get on with average earnings pensions? Cheers

OAP

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2016, 18:05
Back to 1978, or more precisely the 75 scheme. Well presented, a chance to buy in to a half-widows pension for earlier years and job done for the next 30 years. Such stability that it was definitely get and forget. For many it was a full Service benefit. The new schemes were triggers for my daughter and husband jumping.

Same sort of perturbation caused by the big changes to T&S and HtD back in the late 80s which required a get well package to correct the wrongs.

Melchett01
9th Dec 2016, 17:36
Genuine question.

The video emphasizes the need for the individual to do their part and keep JPA updated, fair enough. But if they do that, why do they have to apply for everything? If JPA is kept up to date, surely it's not beyond the wit of man to link the Pensions Calculator into JPA so that it provides you with a statement each year that's accurate and takes into account things like AVCs which the Pensions Calculator on line can't do. Plus, it would surely be straightforward to generate a hard copy statement in the way we get an annual P60.

Or am I missing something?

Out Of Trim
9th Dec 2016, 21:15
I think you may be missing the bit about those that forget to claim or find it too difficult save the MOD a small fortune.

If they kept in touch annually and just paid out on time where would the country be? How would they be able to fund all those procurement projects that get cancelled after it all goes horribly wrong?

Same as the State pension.

Cynical, Moi..