PDA

View Full Version : Sywell R/T

Squawk7000
5th Jul 2002, 23:00
Anybody find it difficult to understand transmissions from Sywell ?

Sounds like the guy is in an empty room. To make matters worse the amplification and echo distorts what you hear and understand.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Jul 2002, 07:29
Sounds to me as if the guy doesn't have a clue about radio communications! Tell him to stand closer to the mic.

Ludwig
8th Jul 2002, 16:05
I have been in and out of Sywell for years and I've never had any trouble with ATC; microlights, helicopters and other thing, but not the ATC's understandability. Perahaps 7000 needs a new radio or headset? Still when they get their hard runway and BA146 ina and out all night they will upgrade to full ATC :D

Grandad Biggles
8th Jul 2002, 18:03
As one of the guys on the other side of the Mic, this is the first time I have heard any criticsim.
We all take pride in our clarity.
You should come and experience our side for a better appreciation of RT competance.
Remmember that we all are subject to CAA competancy checks every 2 years.
As for full ATC, with the hard runway, time will tell but there is no direction on this for the moment and 146's, I understand are not on the agenda. I suspect the runway length will be insuffcient.
Suggest to check all your facts before causing unneccessary alarms::(

FWA NATCA
8th Jul 2002, 19:51
If Stilwell is using noise cancelling handsets they will sound like they are talking from across the room, we had this problem so we quit using noise cancelling handsets.

Mike

Self Loading Freight
9th Jul 2002, 09:30
It's a bit difficult to know how you sound on the air from the other side of the microphone!

Surely the thing to do is to either record the bothersome transmissions from a scanner or an a/c radio and then take the tape over one day, or to get one of the ATCOs up and listening in situ? Otherwise they won't know there's a problem at all.

R