PDA

View Full Version : In-Ear aviation headset 2016

Tiennetti
7th Dec 2016, 09:26
Hello guys,
after using Senn's HMEC 26 for few years, i now want to ty something different and lighter like in-ear headsets

I was decided to go for the Phonak 7100, but I later discovered that they are not TSO certified

After a bit of a research, i found that the only TSO certified in-ear headsets are the Clarity Aloft PRO and PRO Plus, is this correct?

I would use those i an A320 and they MUST be certified C139, C57 or have an EASA 1 form

Thanks in advance for your help

Intrance
7th Dec 2016, 23:56
I've been thinking about getting the Phonak as well. Tried the 7000 last year, worked really well, even with generic ear plugs. Similar noise attenuation in the turboprop I flew back then as my Lightspeed Zulu2, but couldn't justify the expense back then.

Not helpful since you are looking for alternatives, but I'd also be interested to see if there are any other lesser known options besides Clarity Aloft. Their solution looks a bit less comfortable to me.

Miserlou
9th Dec 2016, 10:17
I use the Nanocomm. Excellent commfort, quality and price.

NanoComm GA - Ultra-Lightweight, Custom-Made Aviation Headset From Puretone (http://www.nanocommga.com/index.htm)

You shouldn't be worried about TSO approval. I found a document online which explained that a headset is a positive benefit to safety and would not be required to be TSO certified.
The reason I found it is because the aircraft I fly specifies the types of headsets which are approved. I didn't want to buy one I couldn't justify and the article satisfied this doubt.

Your headset should exceed the TSO which is a minimum standard.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2007/whatley%20-%20(2007)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf

Further googling will produce more documents.

Intrance
9th Dec 2016, 10:31
@TangoAlphad; I can't really scientifically state yes or no, but in my experience it was perhaps slightly less effective, but not disturbingly so. If I would have switched back then I don't think I would have regretted it. I flew a BAe Jetstream 32 at that time. I was lucky to be able to try it out though, you might want to check if you have any reseller nearby that could let you try it.

Foniac
9th Dec 2016, 10:32
I also can vouch for the Nanocomm GA but in an Airbus environment. Very comfortable even for long flights.

Intrance
9th Dec 2016, 10:48
Just had a look at the Nanocomm... Seems very interesting and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Phonak :).

Sino
11th Dec 2016, 08:01
How would you rate both the Clarity Aloft and the Nanocomm (which I didn't know and look very interesting...) for general aviation, non pressurized, single engine piston ops?

Tiennetti
7th Apr 2017, 11:02
I use the Nanocomm. Excellent commfort, quality and price.

NanoComm GA - Ultra-Lightweight, Custom-Made Aviation Headset From Puretone (http://www.nanocommga.com/index.htm)

You shouldn't be worried about TSO approval. I found a document online which explained that a headset is a positive benefit to safety and would not be required to be TSO certified.

I can understand that, but i am not sure if my company would agree... as they specify that the headset must be TSO certified

semmern
7th Apr 2017, 20:10
A colleague and friend of mine swears by the Phonak FreeCom 7100. So much so that I am considering one myself. We're on the 737, using A20s today, and he claims he favours his Phonaks over even those.