PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE PLEASE?

oldmansquipper
6th Dec 2016, 11:42
For family reasons, I am finally considering putting my collection of my dear departed brothers aviation related items, up for disposal.

My brother flew actively from 1953 to 1987. During this time, he served in the RAF and flew over 11,000 hrs and 178 different types. Most notably perhaps during the 60s, he was a Test Pilot and involved in Concorde development (among may other projects) and awarded the AFC for his troubles. He will be known to several of the `more senior`contributors to this excellent forum.

Ideally, I would have liked this fascinating story of an amazing aviator to be written up for posterity. Unfortunately, a friend who was about to embark on the project a few years ago also went for the final debrief, and I am afraid I am no longer able to do the task justice myself.

My collection includes a complete record of his career in aviation in RAF & Civilian log books, various scrap books and photo albums. I also have his AFC and to add a little physical twist, a conventional Mk 1a Protective Helmet with H mask & G type inner .

Of course I also have a myriad of personal memories of him and his exploits which I can still recall....just!

Do you guys & gals have any advice on how to proceed? Incidentally, I am also prepared to offer the collection up for auction.

Please PM via pprune if you want more information, or if you have any ideas, etc.

Thank You

OMS

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2016, 11:49
Hang in here for the moment. you never know but an author might pop up.

orgASMic
6th Dec 2016, 11:53
I would suggest a call to the RAF Museum at Hendon or the RAF Historical Branch at Northolt, perhaps even the Empire Test Pilot School at Boscombe Down. They might have access to someone who could help you collate it all together. Alternatively, the BBC living history mob might help out by interviewing you and putting all on audio file or contact the history department of your nearest university and get them to find a post-grad student who needs a project.
Good luck; it sounds like an interesting story.

son of brommers
6th Dec 2016, 12:21
Possibly a long shot, what about approaching Rowland White of PHOENIX SQUADRON et.al. fame.

DGAC
6th Dec 2016, 14:14
I wonder if this publisher, author and editor might be able to help.
Graham Pitchfork | Grub Street Publishing (http://grubstreet.co.uk/gs-author/graham-pitchfork/)

oldmansquipper
6th Dec 2016, 15:54
DGAC, Thank you, I have met said gentleman back in my RAFGSA days.

oldmansquipper
6th Dec 2016, 15:58
OrgASMic. Thank you. Hadn't thought of the Beeb. - as long as it does not involve the `One Show` presenters....

Old-Duffer
6th Dec 2016, 18:35
I am the compiler of ten published books dealing with aircraft accidents or the Battle of Arnhem - sorry to sound like a pompous ass but possibly I am one.

I would be pleased to discuss a project to write your brother's biography and to get it published.

Whatever you decide, his legacy ought to be perpetuated.

I am happy to use this open forum, rather than a PM because others will have a relevant view.

Old Duffer

Video Mixdown
6th Dec 2016, 20:03
I'm an ex-RAF video Q'd photog who's currently working in video production. Definitely not Beeb but if you want to talk let me know.

Tashengurt
6th Dec 2016, 21:06
Of course the SE Assoc are looking for items for the trade collection they're assembling
Admittedly, this is a very new thing and I'd be very wary of trusting valued items until I was sure of who was holding them and what safeguards were in place should the idea fizzle out.

oldmansquipper
6th Dec 2016, 22:13
Thanks Tash. I am a member of that erstwhile organisation. I have spoken to Mark in the past.

Tankertrashnav
7th Dec 2016, 10:29
If you are considering auctioning any of the items I would be happy to advise how and where. I have auctioned a lot of militaria over the years and I can advise how to do it to get the most interest and the best price. Some auctions appear to get good prices, but once you have paid a seller's premium (maybe as much as 20%, plus VAT), insurance etc you will receive a lot less than the hammer price. I know which auctioneers will haggle on their fees, and which wont budge an inch, so you may wish to know about that.

Just to say, I'm retired from business now so wont be expecting to make a penny out of any help I offer. PM me if you wish.

VIProds
7th Dec 2016, 17:52
OLDMANSQUIPPER I have been filming the stories of WWII aircrew at my local ACA Branch & always send a copy to Graham Pitchfork at the ACA archives at Elvington. Graham is always very appreciative to receive them.

Grob Queen
10th Dec 2016, 14:25
I have sent you a PM

NutLoose
10th Dec 2016, 15:23
Out of interest, have you thought about posting in the Test pilots forum?

oldmansquipper
11th Dec 2016, 16:38
Not until you suggested it NL! But I will - Thank you.:ok:

oldmansquipper
11th Dec 2016, 16:50
Doh! I am unable to get the pprune Flight Test bit to work.:confused:..or did you have another site in mind?