PDA

View Full Version : Inquiries about the Class 1 medical in Europe

FuturePilot6
2nd Dec 2016, 11:31
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with thrombocytopenia and leukopenia just a year ago and now I went to my haematologist and now I have all clear. Also I have familial hypercholesterolaemia but I've now been on pravastatin for about 4 years and everything's ok. Can any of these make me unfit for the EASA Class 1 medical? I've been searching on CAA's website but I didn't find anything regarding these.

Ulster
3rd Dec 2016, 17:56
Look here :
Coagulation and haemorrhagic disorders | UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Haematology/Coagulation-and-haemorrhagic-disorders/)

Full haematologist reports would be required, obviously !
Good luck !

FuturePilot6
3rd Dec 2016, 21:08
Yes I saw it. But now on my reports they say that I have interrmitent bicitopenia which is those two although all my blood levels are normal, so can that be a disqualification?

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Dec 2016, 06:19
The pravastatin is not a problem.

The cytopenia potentially is as you can glean from the document linked to in the post before.

Much will depend on blood count levels and what the outlook is for this recurring (you write it is intermittent)

Your best bet is to contact an AeMC and get their view on your particular case.

Radgirl
4th Dec 2016, 11:04
Absolutely correct FD

The answer to the issue about the blood count depends on the cause. A low white count or low platelets is like saying 'the engine is misfiring'. What we need to know is WHY. So you would need to get all the results from your haematologist and a proper report as to cause and prognosis.

If the problem was just due to a drug you then stopped, probably no problem. If you have a low grade leukaemia I suspect you may have more of a challenge. There are literally dozens of causes, but your haematologist is your first port of call. If no cause has been found, then that means other causes will have been eliminated by the tests you have had or may have had so a full copy of your notes will assist the CAA to get you flying - yes they do want to help!

Good luck