PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL Performance Exam

Tee
24th Nov 2001, 17:44
I've heard that the question bank for the JAA ATPL Performance exam has a limited number of questions in it. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, how many questions are we talking about?

I haven't a hope of passing without good feedback and I'm just wondering if there's a huge amount of it that I haven't seen.

mad_jock
24th Nov 2001, 18:05
well oxford hand out about 400 to 500 feedback questions and when i sat it i had only seen about 50% of the questions in the exam.

MJ

Island Hopper
27th Nov 2001, 20:20
Only 50% eh.

God, I wish I had 50% of the questions!

If anyone feels desperate to send me any...
(of any subject!)

:rolleyes:
IH

Rote 8
27th Nov 2001, 22:20
Do Bristol hand out such questions in the same way, and if so at what stage in the traning?

Matthewjharvey
27th Nov 2001, 22:35
Rote 8

You will get plenty of good feedback from Bristol when you attend the 2 week consolidation course just before you take the exams.

Avadoo
28th Nov 2001, 01:45
Tee,

Performance was the only JAR exam I had to sit as I did the UK ATPLs in June--(under the old system you sat different aircraft groups as your flying progressed and started with group E working towards group 'A' with an exam for each group)

I purchased BGS notes and attended a two day brush-up with a good result (93%) I found the key to this exam was the cap698, any poorly presented questions or answers can be solved with the information and graphs in the book .The examiner seems to base much of his theory around 698.(figures as he provides it for that purpose)
Many of the brush up questions Alex supplies are very close to the exam questions and if you listen carefully during
brush-up you wont go far wrong.

All the best to you all with exams,and if its
any concellation the questions now seem more
honest than the old system--have some of the nice people at Gatwick been sacked from the dirty tricks brigade ?

Tee
28th Nov 2001, 02:01
Many thanks folks.

I sit the exam next week for the second time and it's a subject I just can't get to grips with at all.

I suspect I'll be booking up for a brush up course in the near future!

Tee

Mile_Hi
28th Nov 2001, 12:12
I'd still give Bristol Ground School a ring if I was you. They may well have a two day brush up course that fits your schedule. I was wondering about wheter to do it or not but am very glad I did as I got a first time pass with 98% . They certainly got me through most of the ATPLs. Think the extra money for the course is worth the reduced stress factor!! Good luck.

Quidditch Captain
28th Nov 2001, 13:46
Sat Perf in October. I have to disagree with avadoo - there was very little which CAP698 could help with directly. There wasn't a single question requiring a graph (and I'm told this is the norm from now on). Main areas to concentrate on are basic performance theory (as Oxford puts it, the "applied theory of flight" bits).

Avadoo
29th Nov 2001, 01:52
Mr Spock

I agree there are only one or two of the fortyish questions requiring use of the
graphs for numeric answers but I said the
examiner based much of his THEORY around the
cap and its graphs.
Assuming you use the correct graph you will get an instant picture of whatever trend it
displays as well as actual number answers. Just look at the lines and axis and you have instant conformation of any theories you forgot or are in doubt about !
To anyone,I would again advise,spend a couple of nights reading 698 -- loads of info in it which need not be committed to memory and understand the graphs present a picture of many of the principles not just
performance data, it really can help !

pugzi
29th Nov 2001, 16:18
Important.
Listen up guys, it's not that they ask direct questions on the CAP698. It's that if you know it, you can extract about 50 -60% of the answers from it without any understanding or remembering from your study.
For example, any VMBE question, do not try and remeber what it is or what affects it. There is a graph on it and everything can be answered from there.
Same goes for VMCG, there is a table on VMCG on 64 and 65, so it too can tell you how things affect it.
I could go on, but you'll get the jist.
That CAP manual can do a lot, but you have to know how!!!
If you know the cAP, then the exam becomes a hell of a lot simpler.

Good luck.

;)

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: Pugzi ]

Quidditch Captain
29th Nov 2001, 19:03
Totally agree avadoo - no problem at all with making sure you know the CAP and how to use it before the exam (but you and I now have 20-20 hindsight as we've done it now.....)
My only concern is that having to look at the CAP to answer a question takes a lot of valuable time - so I recommend knowing the stuff from the basics if students possibly can.