PDA

View Full Version : Another scum sucking lowlife

NutLoose
28th Nov 2016, 03:15
Except they caught this one..... One can only hope he ends up seeing the World through bars.

Man arrested after war memorial brazenly destroyed in Southampton | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/26/man-arrested-after-war-memorial-brazenly-destroyed-in-southampton-6283937/)

TBM-Legend
28th Nov 2016, 08:06
....a one way ticket to Aleppo

MPN11
28th Nov 2016, 08:50
In some small way I pity these deranged individuals. In a VERY small way, of course.

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2016, 10:30
Except they caught this one..... One can only hope he ends up seeing the World through bars.

As discussed on the "Walt" thread recently, I'd personally prefer that he got 100 hours of closely supervised community service, cleaning and helping to restore war memorials, many of which are in a sad state of neglect. Would have a more beneficial result to the general public than spending a fortune on keeping him in jail.

Flap62
28th Nov 2016, 13:41
It is, of course, possible that the individual has mental health issues.

charliegolf
28th Nov 2016, 13:47
It is, of course, possible that the individual has mental health issues.

Been sectioned according to the Beeb.

CG

MPN11
28th Nov 2016, 13:57
Into how many pieces?

(Just said to appeal to DM readers :) )

skua
28th Nov 2016, 15:54
:D:D:D:D:D:D

barnstormer1968
28th Nov 2016, 16:01
I first viewed the video this morning.
A mental health issue was my first thought. I couldnt see any malice, but did see a possiblilty that the memorial looked un ordered to the individual and he was 'tidying' it up to look like normal to ease his own anxiety.
Having done a bit of work in mental health Ive seen reactions like in the video many times.

Planemike
28th Nov 2016, 16:10
Very easy to be judgemental .........

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2016, 16:13
In that case we may assume he is yet another victim of "care in community", under which people who used to be kept safe in institutions are put out to basically fend for themselves, with a minimum of supervision.

There are of course instances of war memorials being desecrated by people who definitely knew what they were doing, and my remarks above apply to them.

pasta
28th Nov 2016, 16:28
In that case we may assume he is yet another victim of "care in community", under which people who used to be kept safe in institutions are put out to basically fend for themselves, with a minimum of supervision.
Bit harsh - even with unlimited resources, the best solution for people with mental health problems isn't always to lock them away, or to supervise them round the clock.

If this incident was due to mental health issues (and it seems quite plausible to me that he felt he was tidying the memorial) then, whilst the incident will have caused considerable offence, it won't have actually endangered anyone. In fact, the person most in danger was most likely the perpetrator; quite easy to imagine him coming to grief at the hand of a bunch of vigilantes.

Chugalug2
28th Nov 2016, 21:37
As has been pointed out we don't know what motivated this seemingly mindless act. A link in turn from the OP one leads to a sad yet far more inspiring story of ex-paratrooper Ralph Jones, who died aged 93 in hospital at 1100 AM on Remembrance Sunday 2016, with two nurses holding his hands.

He was shot three times during Operation Tonga, a D-Day Airborne Assault with gliders, and once again on the Rhine Crossing. Read his story here:-

World War II hero Ralph Jones died as Last Post played at 11am on Remembrance Sunday | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/16/world-war-ii-hero-died-as-last-post-played-at-11am-on-remembrance-sunday-6261993/)

Whether we feel pity or contempt for the OP subject, we should feel respect and immense gratitude for Ralph Jones.

Thank you Sir. Rest in Peace now.

Rosevidney1
28th Nov 2016, 22:00
What's the betting the mindless vandal is just a welfare case? We have lots of those.............

obnoxio f*ckwit
29th Nov 2016, 12:32
... Ralph Jones, who died aged 93 in hospital at 1100 AM on Remembrance Sunday 2016, with two nurses holding his hands.
Whether we feel pity or contempt for the OP subject, we should feel respect and immense gratitude for Ralph Jones.

And to the two nurses who ensured he didn't die alone.

Heathrow Harry
29th Nov 2016, 12:35
"What's the betting the mindless vandal is just a welfare case? We have lots of those............."

yeah - most of Cornwall is on welfare/beifits/grants IIRC

Fonsini
29th Nov 2016, 12:55
He was just culturally enriching the memorial.

Rosevidney1
29th Nov 2016, 19:49
Heathrow Harry wrote:

yeah - most of Cornwall is on welfare/beifits/grants IIRC
............................................................ ................................

IIRC ? You do not recall correctly at all.
A big city or large town is where this can be endemic due to dysfunctional families and jobless households prone to crime, truancy, domestic violence and anti-social behaviour. Graffiti and noise personified. Whereas in the rural community very much less so.

Avtur
29th Nov 2016, 22:04
Defacing/vandalising memorials is, in my tiny mind, worthy of a good kicking, however I get that some perps may not understand fully what they are doing. Nevertheless, no matter what is done physically to such places, or by whom, it will never ever detract from what our heroes and heroines have done for us.