PDA

View Full Version : Ho ho ho

rotormatic
19th Nov 2016, 06:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXKIMTo0-Dk

fXKIMTo0-Dk

Fareastdriver
19th Nov 2016, 10:15
The joke is everybody waiting for the prang.

aa777888
19th Nov 2016, 11:24
I've always been amazed that this is more cost effective than just dragging a trailer around with a tractor.

19th Nov 2016, 11:33
Certainly no mechanical sympathy going on there - good handling skills yes, but very little room for error - what would happen if the load didn't release for example?

gulliBell
20th Nov 2016, 04:59
I guess, if the load didn't release, it might end up where it started out from. Which has happened to me once before. After you've done it once it's unlikely to happen again.

Twist & Shout
20th Nov 2016, 10:08
I'd like to see a video of the instruments

20th Nov 2016, 11:50
Gullibell - I was thinking more of how he has selected an aggressive nose down attitude before the load has gone which could cause him even more nose down if the load didn't release as expected.

it was one of the reasons we were always taught not to try and 'zero-speed' a load because you might not recover if it didn't release properly.

gulliBell
20th Nov 2016, 22:38
Yes. I would never use or teach the technique being displayed in that video (not the least reason being I just don't have the required vertical reference skill for that). The pilots are obviously well practised with it, but as you say, such a nose down attitude if the load didn't release and got hooked up you'd be in a spot of bother. A vertical climb without any abrupt manoeuvring after releasing the load would only add about 20 seconds to the round trip time, and I think would be a much safer option.

oleary
21st Nov 2016, 02:00
.... 'til the extended hook fails to release. :ugh:

This guy is dead man walkin'.