PDA

View Full Version : Qatar airways MPL program guaranteed be a QR pilot?

boo4095
15th Nov 2016, 11:27
I heard that staa and ctc MPL is not fully guaranteed to be a QR pilot and have a many risk is it true ? and QR is zero tolerance to pilot they make a small mistake and quick to sack is it true too?

striker26
15th Nov 2016, 14:35
It is with any license/exam not just ctc...the program involves rigorous training and you have to meet a set criteria in order to advance, hence why they have a selection/interview that's very specific to start, they will take the candidate with the most potential. Once you get to the line training, i believe you gotta do 12 takeoffs / 12 landings and many sectors of flying among the other tests during your training. Because this is a fast paced and demanding program, the Modular/Integrated route maybe a better option to go at your own pace.

OMAAbound
15th Nov 2016, 15:03
Don't waste your time or money, even if you make it thru, and complete all your line checks you'll be stuck on the A320 for 5 years minimum with ZERO chance of a fleet swap, once you've done 5 years, they may consider you for command in another 5 years.

Oh and If the risk, and life on the A320 doesn't put you off, I'm sure the £109,000 training fee will!

Officer Kite
15th Nov 2016, 16:48
oh and If the risk, and life on the A320 doesn't put you off

Life on the A320 is heaven for everyone applying, that's what brings them in !

The one thing I'm not sure of is being suck on the A320 for 5 years, are you sure? I couldn't see anything in the MPL that dictates such

OMAAbound
15th Nov 2016, 18:53
Life on the A320 is heaven for everyone applying, that's what brings them in !

The one thing I'm not sure of is being suck on the A320 for 5 years, are you sure? I couldn't see anything in the MPL that dictates such

Yup, I've got a friend there currently who was on one of the first MPL groups.

They've got you by the short and Curlies with an MPL licence as you stuck to one type and operator. 1500 hours I believe is when you can convert it to an ATPL. Its how they work, of course they aren't going to say in the advertisement!

It also doesn't say that Qatar is an absolute toilet of a place to live in either!

striker26
15th Nov 2016, 19:23
Also note, you get issued a QCAA license, not EASA, not FAA etc. but yes, it is 5 years on the bus as an FO but hey, after that you're free to apply/transfer given the right circumstances and converting your MPL. For those thinking of applying, visit Doha for a week or 2 and see if you / family can live there. It WILL be your home a long time. Personally, i'd say the program still has its benefits. 5 years bond actually works in favor of the MPL holder to pay off that 109k.

Also unlike other P2F / MPL programs, the pay is FO salary (SO until you pass Line training i believe). There are benefits and drawbacks, this is not an option for those trying to get on a jet asap and then leave, this is a career/life decision which wouldn't be too bad with QR as they got hundreds of long range aircraft on order.

OMAAbound - if your friend chose this program with the mindset to leave after 1500 or doesn't like living in the Middle East or wants to upgrade so soon, well that's just poor decision making :ugh:

OMAAbound
15th Nov 2016, 21:48
OMAAbound - if your friend chose this program with the mindset to leave after 1500 or doesn't like living in the Middle East or wants to upgrade so soon, well that's just poor decision making :ugh:[/QUOTE]

He chose it as it was the best option for him at the time, secure company, good pay, better benefits than every other CTC programme. I think he feels a bit short changed by the lack of availability in the fleet swap. But hey, we all gotta start somewhere

boo4095
16th Nov 2016, 01:19
Yup, I've got a friend there currently who was on one of the first MPL groups.

They've got you by the short and Curlies with an MPL licence as you stuck to one type and operator. 1500 hours I believe is when you can convert it to an ATPL. Its how they work, of course they aren't going to say in the advertisement!

It also doesn't say that Qatar is an absolute toilet of a place to live in either!

Q : I'm curious that why QR doesn't put off 320 during 5years ? I heard that finish 1500h mpl will be transition to atpl and we can request fleet transition is it not true?

Black Pudding
16th Nov 2016, 06:14
I think he feels a bit short changed by the lack of availability in the fleet swap

Maybe they should of choose an MPL scheme that would have gave them that option

Airmann
16th Nov 2016, 08:10
It's true. If you are deciding about starting a career in aviation and are being given the choice of a program that will allow you to be a first officer in a turbo jet aircraft at the end of it at an international airline you should worry about your fleet transfer before you even apply. I would. What about days off. Do they pay for stand in sim?

To the original poster. I think you should only accept an airline which promises you a wide body within 6 months of completing your course. And that too only a wide body that was designed after 2000. In addition I would personally arrange an appointment with the CEOs of the airlines you want to join and put my foot down from day one. Don't take any ****. Let them know exactly what kind of rosters you want, what kind of attitude you expect from the captain's etc. This will put you in good stead for the future. There aren't that many out of work pilots out there. And not too many applicants for the MPL programs I'm sure they will give on to all your demands.

striker26
16th Nov 2016, 14:39
Airmann, not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious :}

The one thing i'd say is that as an MPL graduate, you have very low hours, it would take 2 years +/- for you to even reach 1500, that's 3 years left on your bond. 3 years of build up time and you're on your way to be given a chance to upgrade seat or fleet. Given the conditions at QR, im hearing the upgrades are there, like mentioned before, they, like many airlines have huge orders coming up over the next few years, a good sign for a guy who would be coming off a 5 yr bond.

OMAAbound i fully get where your friend is coming from, he probably has enough hours to transfer even airlines if he wanted but with the bond he's restricted. All i can say, is that when making the decision, you must factor in that you will be on the a320 for 5 years, that's a given. I'm sure his time will come, best of luck to him.

Boo4095 - no airline would transfer you on the basis of 1500 a320 hrs and an ATPL....as said time and time again, there is a seniority list and although not written, your seniority basically starts the day you pass 1500 and get ATPL. On your resume, you would have to separate your MPL hours from your ATPL. Given this, they'd take the guy who had 2000+ hours jet time before joining first. MPL is like a doctor in residency, after 4 years, you start to cash in the reward, whatever that may be. This is one of the drawbacks of MPL, you are restricted to the airline, aircraft, and seat position for a set time.

Officer Kite
16th Nov 2016, 14:58
This is one of the drawbacks of MPL, you are restricted to the airline, aircraft, and seat position for a set time.

I do understand where your coming from on this, however the MPL is not as restrictive as many would have you believe. There are numerous instances of MPL graduates changing airline and fleet before reaching 1500 hours. Many easyjet guys have moved to BA after even 500 hours.

striker26
16th Nov 2016, 18:54
I guess it depends on the airline, not sure if many other airlines would do that at this point though. Again, after spending that much money, you're pretty much bound to QR for quite some time, not a bad thing if your end goal is QR/Doha/ME flying. That's the decision you gotta make before you fill out that app!