PDA

View Full Version : I feel like the luckiest person alive

blackknight
24th Nov 2001, 02:06
Hi chap's and chappess's, well i can t help it i have been trying to contain myself for some 6 hours now but it is no use, i have got my contract through and my parents have just given me a cheque for £45,000, no strings, they dont want paying back or anything, Now i know some people will say oh look another rich kid, but believe me flying is all i have wanted to do for a very long time, i just hope i get a job at the end of it all, anyways i feel abig weight lifting off my mind. I also hope that even though i have acquired my money under somewhat more aggreeable terms than most, we should all remain positive and keep our goals firmly set out

Blackknight

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: blackknight ]

Matthewjharvey
24th Nov 2001, 02:39
I am fortunate to have been in the same position as you. Many people feel that people such as us are spoilt and don't have the determination of people that have had to fund themselves. In most cases I feel that this is rubbish. I have felt a real commitment to my parents not to let them down and work much harder beacause of this than if I had to pay my own way. It is my belief that some of the airline sponsored students are not so committed and make poorer students than us.
Anyway good luck and don't let your parents down.

Whirlybird
24th Nov 2001, 02:52
Good luck to you both. Don't listen to people who are just jealous. You have no reason to feel guilty, and there's no reason why you should be any worse, or any better, than anyone else. Use the money wisely, and enjoy it!

prob30
24th Nov 2001, 03:03
You show me a parent who would'nt...if they could, do the same. Get stuck in guys.

liverbird
24th Nov 2001, 03:23
Keep it to your self pal. anyway good luck. mind you, you dont need it.

mad_jock
24th Nov 2001, 04:33
Good luck but i actually think thats more pressure than i have.

My folks have always been very negative about me becoming a "bus driver" and i have funded myself. And the pressure which i had at uni when they had to pay 3 grand a year was a nightmare. So although everyone thinks lucky chap you may have more stress than you realise when things don't go sweet the first time.

Good luck

MJ

Iain
24th Nov 2001, 04:56
What your parents have given you is an opportunity, so make them proud. My parents have also been very kind to me, not only paying for public schooling, and supporting me and helping me pay for my PPL, but they are still helping me through University. I think education is the greatest gift offa all, it allows you to live your dreams!

Topper187
24th Nov 2001, 05:14
The Greaser and Blacknight Sorry to pop your balloon, but its not the raising the funds for the course that is hard. It is the job at the end of the tunnel. If i could be garanteed a job then a £45000 loan could be easily sercured. Anyway enjoy your training. I am not in any way shape or form jealous. ok. good.

P.S. just wondering are any of your parents looking to adopt. I have very good credentials!!

DownIn3Green
24th Nov 2001, 06:38
Liverbird,

The only "luck" required in being in the right place (queue) at the right time.

I paid my own way along with a little (lot) of help from the US Government, but I broke into the airlines during a party hosted by a commuter opening a base at an airport where I was a tower controller.

This commuter had invited all of the local travel agents to this "Open House" and as an afterthought called the tower to ask us. It happened I was the controller who answered the phone. I was the only controller who showed up and immediately I realized I had more experience than the F/O's who worked there.

A few words with the DO and I was "in".

A license, some experience, and RIGHT PLACE, RIGHT TIME.

Good luck guys...you will need it, along with your skills that you will acquire along the way.

Don't apologize to anyone for however you get your start..... :) :) :) :)

Sagey
24th Nov 2001, 12:40
Best of luck, work hard and enjoy the training.

It is nice that you have supportive parents :), my father in particular isn't too happy with my chosen career and therefore any financial assistance is unlikely. Although when I finally sign up for training, you never know :)

Just make sure when you get that first big break, that your parents get large Christmas and Birthday presents :D :eek: :D

Sagey

Wedge
24th Nov 2001, 19:24
I know that *some* (but not many) BA cadets are far less committed to the career than blackknight and Greaser, and you also have the added pressure on you of making good your parents' investment and passing everything first time.

Not saying that with BA you don't have that pressure, but you can still decide half way through the course it's not for you and stop working and fail the exams. Happens less now but when BA advertised in the national press there were many cases of people seeing the advert, applying and getting in. I am not taking anything away from them either - good luck to them - but, their parents were not funding them which is a different kind off pressure.

That said, there are also those rich kids who don't know what to do for a career, and their parents say "Why don't you become a pilot?".......and so on.

No one needs to know who is funding your training so keep it to yourself, it's a hard course and it will be even harder to find a job at the end of it. The best way to get any job, I have no doubt, is to know people, so if you don't have inside contacts now, then make some........and this goes for everyone looking to get a job. There are lots of ways of doing so and if you don't know what they are then find out.

Don't feel in the least but worried that there are those who have had it harder than you, that's life and you either get the breaks or you don't......but you make your own luck and if you do get a lucky break it's usually because you put yourself in the right position to get it.

schooner
24th Nov 2001, 21:00
The Greaser,
I think your belief that airline sponsored cadets are less committed and make poorer students is a bit flawed. They have all gone through the long-winded selection processes and generally obtain slightly better exam results than non-sponsored folk. Perhaps it is because they feel a real committment to the airline not to let them down and as a result work bloody hard !!
Anyway, good luck to you, hopefully the industry will have picked up when you qualify.

cheers

driftwood
24th Nov 2001, 21:36
Your parents handover of £45k up front is a recipe for disaster. Personally - as a parent - I'd say "Here's £3k, prove to me that you can get a PPL". After that, it would be stage payments all the way. I would remind you too that this is £45k + interest that you will not inherit. The above worked well with my son who has just moved to the LHS.

blackknight
24th Nov 2001, 21:46
Driftwood, did i forget to mention that i alreday have my PPL, and paid for that myself, i passes my skills test on 46 hrs and all the exam marks were 90%+, also if i want to do an integrated course, as it seems the best way to progress through your training, not dismissing the fact that modular is good too, i just prefer the idea of integrated, then i need to have that money available. and lastly assuming my parents die at the ripe old age of 80, that means i will be 54, so what use is inheriting £45k + interest going to be to me for a flying career when im that old. i think the phrase is sour grapes old boy!!!

TRANQUILLO
24th Nov 2001, 23:37
Blackknight,

Good luck mate make the most of it!!!

Well done on your 46 hours PPL....

cheers

slim_slag
25th Nov 2001, 03:32
Now then blacknight

You have been well treated on this thread, I suspect you were expecting (maybe even hoping) for something different, then driftwood gave some sound advice for the crowd in general. I agree with it totally by the way, and you come back with i think the phrase is sour grapes old boy!!!

Now that was uncalled for but you are still a kid and I was a jerk back in those days too :)

So good luck and remember not to **** older people off by being a smart-ass, they may be the person who gives you a job one day.

Guy Bowen
26th Nov 2001, 05:09
Spot on slim_slag!

PingPong
26th Nov 2001, 09:22
blackknight,

What a wonderful break - congratulations!

Please take this the right way. To succeed in a professional career you MUST learn to write grammatically, and to punctuate correctly. The old saying about "succeeding in spite of ...., not because of ...." is not old hat these days. I really don't want you to go through the whole course and then fail at the interview stage. You WON'T even get there if you send letters written to the standard of your two postings on this thread.

Lecture over! (And it really is meant to help - and WILL if you take it on board! There are some good books on the market that can help you sort out your problem.)

Good luck!

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: PingPong ]

Crash Barrier
26th Nov 2001, 12:06
OOhhh, congratulations little 'Timmy' on blagging 45K out of your parents. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!

Have you ever read Viz, Spoilt B*STARD about sums you up!

I suppose if you pass it will be 'Mummy, please can I have a 767 type rating for christmas?'

Silver spoon fed chumps!!

Whirlybird
26th Nov 2001, 13:29
Well, there's always one. And I knew what country he came from without even looking. Only in Britain is one supposed to feel guilty about having money.

Crash Barrier, with your attitude I wouldn't employ you to pick up tiddlywinks, let alone fly aeroplanes.

BillyFish2
26th Nov 2001, 14:06
Best of luck to you Blackknight.

Ignore those one or two hostile jealous responses. We all know that if any wannabee had been given the opportunity you have just been given, they would take it without question.

By the way, same question as Rich Tea, where do you think you'll be off to?

Do 'em proud mate.

- BillyFish2

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: BillyFish2 ]

Crash Barrier
26th Nov 2001, 18:32
Whirlybird,

I didn't say I was right, it is just MY opinion.

In the current climate blagging 45K from your parents to do an ATPL, in MY opinion is the wrong thing to do. NO jobs, stale market, pilots being laid off. Perhaps when the market picks up it may be time to scr*w mum and dad for their life savings, but until then MY opinion remains:

Little Timmy = Spoilt B*stard!!

But then again I'll take a Big Mac and fries after your ATPL course...

'Hovering is for poofties!'

Matthewjharvey
26th Nov 2001, 18:56
Crash barrier seems to have a problem. I read on your profile you work in air traffic. Some things can be explained so easily.

Maybe your parents couldn't afford 45 grand but mine and many others in this country can and many people regard this sort of money as peanuts. Kindly keep your mouth shut.

blackknight
26th Nov 2001, 19:06
Crash Barrier, i wasn't under the impression we were being assessed on the quality of the posts which we publish on here, most people are merely trying to put a point across and as such are not as pedantic as you appear to be. As regards to your 'Timmy' jibes, that is something I resent. My parents come from working class backgrounds and have had to work very hard to get where they are today. And I personally cannot thank them enough for giving me the means to sponsor myself through an ATPL course. I just hope i can do the same to my children one day. And in answer to the people asking where i am hoping to go....Its Jerez for me, although not 100%sure when yet. And finally as for everyones comments on the job market etc beiong stale. my outlook is simply: "if you havent got a license you cant apply for the job". Although im sure there will be some sarcastic remarks about money made from this too!!

At the end of the day we are all playing cricket for the same team,its just some of us are using different bats to score the runs.

Keep smiling

BK

blended winglet
26th Nov 2001, 19:16
go for it blackknight, your on the ladder
already, just a few more rungs to climb.

Its very nice at the top of the ladder,
keep climbing.

enjoy too ;-)

Foster
26th Nov 2001, 19:30
I have seen over a number of years that people who have had to work hard in other jobs for a few years saving to pay for their flight training seem to be more dedicated, keen and eager to succeed in their airline jobs. This is not wasted on some hirers.

Just an observation from personal experience, and as with all things, there are many exceptions.

Good luck and invest your money wisely, and as somebody else said above - it might be best to keep your good fortune to yourself.

Crash Barrier
26th Nov 2001, 20:02
Blackknight= Little Timmy

Greaser, just a thought, those that brag about being loaded never usually are.

Crash Barrier
26th Nov 2001, 20:08
quote Blackknight " my parents have just given me a cheque for £45,000, no strings, they dont want paying back or anything!"

Blatant snobbery, what a complete spoilt b*stard you are !

Your next post no doubt will be "Mummy has just bought me a type rating, oohh I am sooo lucky !"

Vomits, and leaves....

Kirstey
26th Nov 2001, 20:12
>Crash barrier seems to have a problem. I read on your profile you work in air traffic. Some things can be explained so easily.

Greaser - CB has a problem, however don't put ATCOs down - if you make it as a pilot then fair play, but they work a million times harder than any pilot!

blended winglet
26th Nov 2001, 21:12
so right Kirstey,

heres another point;
if it was a lottery winner saying I'm doing an ATPL course, most would say well done go for it, but hey, whats the difference where the cash comes from; give blackknight a break,
its tough enough to pass the course without
having a go at him just because his folks put up the cash,
hang up your axe's & all be friends.

Flying, the art of over coming gravity ;-) :D

Hob78
26th Nov 2001, 21:28
I think the point some people have been trying to make is that, fair enough, you've been given 45K, no strings attached, but do you really have to rub it in that you've been luckier than most people are? :rolleyes:

I admit, I'm really envious of those who are lucky enough to be in this position, but if I was in their place, the last thing I would want to do would be to bragg about it to other less fortunate wannabes.

ColinF
26th Nov 2001, 22:46
Well said Hob78...

My sentiments exactly. Keep it to yourself posh kid!

Keith.Williams.
26th Nov 2001, 23:18
On a more positive note,

I think sending one's children off to JAR ATPL training probably qualifies as a form of child abuse?

redsnail
26th Nov 2001, 23:33
Keith, best response yet! Brilliant!

Whirlybird
26th Nov 2001, 23:50
Hob78 and Kraken,

So, you can't take it if someone tells you they've been lucky. Well, shall we carry that to its logical conclusion. Wannabes, you'd better stop posting if you're natural pilots or have a good instructor and get your PPLs in 45 hours, because those of us who take longer might feel jealous. If you pass all your ATPL ground exams first go, keep it to yourselves; it's real hard to take for those of us struggling with resits. And we really really don't want to hear about that jet job you just got; it only shows us what a hard time we're having.

Well, you guys said it; I didn't. If you can't cope with others' good fortune, maybe you'd better stop reading wannabes. On second thoughts, maybe you'd better go and live on a desert island. At least until you can manage to GROW UP!!! :mad:

Say again s l o w l y
27th Nov 2001, 01:35
Crash, stop being a tw*t. Blacknight et al have been very lucky, but getting the money to pay for a course is only a very small part of the game.
I would have loved to have been in their position, but I wasn't. Does that mean I hold a grudge? No, of course not. At the end of the day, we all do something we love (must do I suppose?).
I would much rather one of them as my FO than a jealous weasel like yourself. I might allow you to drive the honey wagon though. Sort your attitude out or you'll stay tin pushing for alot longer and never experience the utter joy of the other side of an "ATC delay".

It's odd, I usually never have a problem with anyone in ATC, I guess he(?) is just bringing the best out in me!

Busta Level
27th Nov 2001, 01:53
Ummm...Before we start having a go at ATCers (a very good bunch of gals and guys)... I have a strong suspicion that CB probably does not even know how to spell 'radar', let alone operate one.

Probably a 13 year old with too much time on his hands - he certainly comes across that way. :D

Cheers!

Busta ;)

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Busta Level ]

Say again s l o w l y
27th Nov 2001, 02:08
Busta,
I'm not having rant at ATC, they are indeed in general a fine bunch of people. I think you are probably right about CB and as per usual I've managed to jump the gun, apologies if I caused any offence.(Except to CB of course...)
As most Pilots out there will probably agree, the excuse to the SLF of an ATC delay is usually a work of fiction, meant to deflect any bad feeling, because it can't be our fault!!! :D :D

clear prop!!!
27th Nov 2001, 02:37
What a stupid bloody thread. ( or follow ups anyway)

Good on blacknights parents. I’m sure they have made huge sacrifices to help him along his chosen career path, so what in hell’s name is wrong with that? Most parents would do the same given the chance.

Lets face it, if they were to finance 4 years of some irrelevant Uni course together with accommodation, drinking money etc there would not be much change out of £40k.

At least this way their cherished offspring has a chance to do what his heart is in.

As for crash…do you really think he is a fully blown ATC??…I think not,… more like a failed ex mil from previous posts. Lets not do ATC’s an injustice here over the rantings of a very ..very jealous and sad failure!

Funkie
27th Nov 2001, 02:55
Yeah okay,

So this fortunate person has been on the receiving end of a fair amount of cash.

Who said blckknight's folks were loaded, maybe they re-mortgaged the house, passed on some inherited money, or got a loan to see their child live their dream.

Get a life folks................

Regards

Fra

Duncan2
27th Nov 2001, 03:10
Cash Barrier,
There is a very long scale on which you should consider things. Clearly you are behind Timmy in that your parents did/could not fund your ATPL. My position is that I was offered a part sponsorship but had to turn it down because my parents couldn't even provide a financial guarantee to the sponsoring airline, let alone pay for my training. I'm 25 years old and $2000 in debt from paying for class one medicals and aptitude tests at various airlines. I've realised that given the current state of the market I will be too old for most sponsorships when they start up again. I also know that most if not all banks would not lend me 50k to sponsor myself without a financial guarantor. I felt quite sorry for myself as all of these realities became clear to me, and Timmies really got on my nerves!

But now let us consider the people living in Afganistan or any of the other deprived country such as Iraq or Kosovo. Some of those people may have wanted to become airline pilots too. What do you reckon their chances are? Do you think we should count our blessings or continue to feel sorry for ourselves? I think we should count our blessings and realise that in the overall scheme of things, Timmy, you and I are all in a very very fortunate position indeed.

All the best :)

Daifly
27th Nov 2001, 03:15
It's excellent - like other people have said, most parents would do anything for their children if they could.

Just a word of advice guys, when you come to your first post-qualifying interview - maybe even with me! - just have some good answers for why you always wanted to go into aviation.

"It was just something I always wanted to do" - it was never a good enough reason as far as I was concerned me and it won't be in the future either...

Enjoy it - it's a year of hard work and great flying.

blackknight
27th Nov 2001, 03:22
And on that note i believe we should have this post ended here. As it seems to be doing nothing more than stirring up a hornets nest of all sorts of differing emotions. Apologies to anyone i have offended i just thought i would tell someone how overjoyed i was at being given the opportunity to hopefully gain my ATPL.

BK

englishal
27th Nov 2001, 03:35
Quote: What a stupid bloody thread. ( or follow ups anyway)

So why reply???

Good luck everybody ;)

Whirlybird
27th Nov 2001, 13:55
Somebody wants to share good news with colleagues and friends and look what happens. I've just learned something about people. So have you probably, blacknight. Good luck in the future mate!

Crash Barrier
27th Nov 2001, 14:06
Whirlybird, judging by your previous postings I would say that you are unsure of your sexuality.

Big Bad Dom
27th Nov 2001, 19:49
Blackknight, I've just got back from a few days away to find this post - just wanted to say I'm glad everything's turning out well for you. I'm sure you'll have a teriffic time in Jerez :cool:

tugtishu
27th Nov 2001, 22:10
""Well, there's always one. And I knew what country he came from without even looking""

whirlybird you welsh tw@t , I have to read your righteous prose on human ethics and moral standard and then you commit ultimate blasphemy by stereotyping and infering that being from the greatest country in the UK is somewhat derrogative? Get back to your feilds and dolly i'm sure she is missing you.

crash barrier , nice to see someone else can see a the second side of the coin :)

PingPong you sad muppet if you wish to check my spelling and grammar please feel free , however its only your time ur wasting ! get a life , fly a plane.

easy now!

28thJuly2001
27th Nov 2001, 22:37
Nothing wrong with Dolly for company, It gets lonely in Wales during the winter months..
Baaaaaaa.
Walt,,, Welsh (not English as the yanks class everyone from the UK)

Rote 8
27th Nov 2001, 22:46
Congratulations to Duncan2 for the best posting on this thread.

I like many here sometimes think about the mountain that I have to climb, the debts mounting up and the odds stacked against me. My eyesight is poor and as a result I was never able to try for a 6th form scholarship or join my University Air Squadron, sometimes I feel a little jealous of those who have been given opportunities that fate deprived me of. This is an entirely human emotion and I do not let it cloud my opinions of others.

At times when I feel like this I, like Duncan2 give some thought to people in other countries, the sort of countries where kids gazing at the vapour trails crossing overhead will never be given the opportunity to fulfill their dreams, sure this guy, got a lucky break, life is not fair, but a lot of us still have a chance to fly for a living and that puts us streets ahead of most of the worlds population. A bit of perspective would not go amiss.

Cheers all and happy flying. If this post reads like some pseudo religious babble then please be assured that was not the spirit in which it was intended and disregard my last.

Rote 8

virgin
27th Nov 2001, 23:17
tugtishu
You're right not to worry about your inability to spell. Your inability to disagree without being thoroughly offensive is much more likely to reveal your lack of intelligence, and will be of far greater concern to a potential employer.

Calling a lady a "tw@t" may be acceptable in (some) playgrounds, but is certainly not acceptable behaviour amongst professional pilots.

Having spent my career with BA and, more recently, Virgin, I can assure you that leading airlines don't tend to hire people who are, or behave like, yobs - as you and your kindred spirit Crash Barrier will find out to your cost unless you mature.

Being well-balanced doesn't mean having a chip on each shoulder. But, of course, you don't need my advice - you know it all already.

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: virgin ]

schuler_tuned
28th Nov 2001, 00:10
hello greaser, how's southampton treating you, and have you checked out p.a.t yet?
well done on the tech passes by the way.

Matthewjharvey
28th Nov 2001, 00:24
Shuler tuned,

Thanks mate, good luck in yours - you are doing them next month I believe.

EGCC4284
28th Nov 2001, 03:11
virgin, 10 out of 10.

Dukeyboy
28th Nov 2001, 03:16
You chaps are indeed very lucky, but all those who would say you haven't had to work for it should be mindful: It's the flying that counts, not the money. Don't tell me that if they won the lottery they wouldn't go out and get their tickets too. God luck to both of you guys.

Crash Barrier
28th Nov 2001, 12:21
So, the truth is out, Whirlybird is a woman!
Stick to looking after your 'pussies' Whirly.
With your RACIST attitude against English people, you have the audacity to question 'MY' postings. The truth is out, then again maybe Anne Robinson was right, oh and us 'inferior' English people don't charge £5 or so to enter OUR country!

(apologies to the majority of open minded NON RACIST Welsh people who use this forum)

tailboom2000
28th Nov 2001, 13:26
crash barier is totally right, he is a spoilt brat. he better ask mommy and daddy to employ him when he cant get a job with his jaa liceSE. because nobody else will. his 43000 dollars will impress the people in the job seekers que but nobody else.

Busta Level
28th Nov 2001, 13:56
Nice spelling tailboom.

Presumably you will be at the front of the employment queue?

Or perhaps not - when you get back to your classroom tomorrow after your day off sick today (you must be about 14 right?) - pay more attention in your spelling class.

Oh hang on - youre Ronchonner aren'tyou. The idiot with the balanced anti-JAA chip on each shoulder. You and CB make a good 'pair', maybe you should get together. But please do it somewhere else but here. Why not have a honeymoon together in the US of A, where your imaginary licence is the best thing since moms apple pie. :D

Maybe CB could guide you through the skies over there with his imaginary radar licence?
;)

Crash Barrier
28th Nov 2001, 14:06
Hear, Hear, Tailboom and when 'little Timmy' finishes his 45k course, mine will be 'A Big Mac and Fries please!!'

Crash Barrier
28th Nov 2001, 14:12
Busta Level,

No need to feel intimidated by me, I am sure you are a great armchair 'Microsoft Flight Sim Pilot'

Busta Level
28th Nov 2001, 14:25
ROFLAMO :D ;)

Say again s l o w l y
29th Nov 2001, 00:49
If you've not got anything better to do Crash, then I'll lend you a shot gun, if you're too stupid to know what to do with it, then I reckon there might be a few people round here who would be willing to show you how best to use it.

Can someone ban this imbecile before we all get really p*ssed off. :mad:

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Say again s l o w l y ]

jimmyj
29th Nov 2001, 01:55
Well rich kids, enjoy it while you can but always try to appreciate the position that you are in. My father is disabled and my mother looks after her elders for peanuts so I am VERY jealous of your 'present'.

If you change your mind and decide to become an accountant I would pay you back some hefty interest over a period of say...20 years. Nice little earner for you...

englishal
29th Nov 2001, 03:14
If I had 45k, I'd go out and buy ,myself a nice little plane and build hours cheap as hell. Saw a nice C150 Aerobat the other day (in Phoenix) for $12000. The old boy who owned it had just passed away.....Who is Jerez anyway??

Wedge
29th Nov 2001, 03:18
FFS!

Never have I seen such a lot of bitter and twisted rubbish on a PPRuNe thread. So - a couple of guys here are in the fortunate position of being given a gift by their parents to follow their career of choice. I assume CB you would turn such a gift down would you? I am sure all our parents here would love to be able to do the same if they could.

So CB and all of you who've supported his sad comments, (and you know you are) shut up whinging and get on with your life for Christ's sake.

OK so maybe it was a little tactless of blackknight to share his good fortune with us in this way - but so what? Now this thread has descended even further to childish slanging and questioning other's flying abilities. How very, very sad to see PPRuNe invaded by such a bunch of morons.

BahrainLad
29th Nov 2001, 03:53
Remember kiddies, jealousy is a pathetic emotion.

Quidditch Captain
29th Nov 2001, 19:11
I believe it never pays to shout about how much money you have and how you acquired it - always leads to trouble (when I was a wee lad thats what I was taught and it was pretty spot on). So blackknight probably didn't do the coolest thing by posting, but good luck with the training anyhow. As for the other posts..... I rest may case. Jealousy is certainly very destructive - and showing it is certainly uncool!!!

Crash Barrier
30th Nov 2001, 12:19
Mr Spock,

Simple logic would dictate that 'little Timmy' would keep his good news to himself, and get on with the process of actually studying for the licence. Just because his mummy + daddy have spent their life savings + retirement plan on 'Spoilt Brat', does not mean that he will pass the course any easier than everybody else.

Jealousy does not come into it. It is the sheer ARROGANCE of the posting in the first place. If everybody who had financial help posted to the effect of 'Blackknight/ Little Timmy' then the forum would be full of 'Spoilt Brats'

Obviusly this concept is just toooo difficult for the peanut sized brain replies that I have endured (and the insults), but heh at least some of you could see through that cloudy mist of Bullsh*t and knew what I talking about.

It never ceases to amaze me of the continuous snobbery of the people who post on this forum, but that attitude I have seen for many years in the U.K. Aviation market and I do not think for one minute it will stop. It is a pity you are not all more 'chilled out' about replies that you don't agree with. It begs the question, if you make it onto the flight deck one day and have some major emergency, will you cope ??

From the standard of replies, I would say 'No', most of you crack up at the slightest difference of opinion on a subject and resort to swearing. If this is the future of wannabe pilots, then I will take a ferry instead. Remember you may be stuck on a longhaul flight one day with a complete knob of a Captain. If you can't stay cool don't post at all!!

tailboom2000
30th Nov 2001, 12:59
crash barier is righ. the people on here must hve had there brains roted by working such long hours in mcdonalds. is this a prerequest to a jaa license

Wedge
30th Nov 2001, 18:57
CB, you don't deserve an answer to your last post so feel priveliged that I have taken the time.

PPRuNe is not, and never has been, a place for the kind of bitterness that you display - it is about helping fellow wannabes rather than childish displays of jealousy. You even started a seperate thread about 'Little Timmy' - and you only need to look at WWW's comments to realise how sad that was.

I really cannot see where blackknight was arrogant in making his posting, I think you have inferred this through pure envy. Tactless maybe, but not arrogant. I agree about snobbery in aviation but I don't see much of it here.

{If you can't stay cool don't post at all!!} I think you should have taken your own advice when making your first misguided posting.

Tailboom - I don't normally pick up on spelling but I think if anyone looks to have had their brain 'roted' then it's you. You will not get an interview if you spell like that on an application form.

clear prop!!!
30th Nov 2001, 19:02
Tailboom,

I suspect that even McDonalds expect you to be able to string a coherent sentence together!

Another prerequisite you clearly can’t meet!

And, is the McDonalds gag which you drag out on every thread you pollute your only contribution here…if it is, the gag has worn thin!

GonvilleBromhead
30th Nov 2001, 19:07
Wedge
Please don't waste your (electronic) breath replying to anything Tailboom says, he is a sad individual who enjoys trying to create controversy, particulary regarding JAA v FAA. Otherwise known as Ronchonner etc...really really sad I know, but hey, you get 'em !

:)

Whirlybird
30th Nov 2001, 23:14
Well, I've been away for a few days, and come back to discover this thread has degenerated into name calling. I was going to treat it with the contempt it deserved, but since there seem to be some misunderstandings concerning me personally, maybe I should put them right.

Crash Barrier, congratulations on being about the last person on PPRuNe to realise that I'm FEMALE! And very happy about it and not at all confused about my sexuality I might add. Do you have a problem with that?

Now, I may live in Wales, but I'm only Welsh by adoption. I was born and brought up in England, in "Sarf London", as it happens. More dragged up actually, couldn't afford second hand bikes, never mind flying lessons, but that's hardly relevant. My comments about the British (and I was actually including the whole of the British Isles in them) were based on a mis-spent youth travelling and working abroad for a number of years. Let me assure you, the kind of snobbery CB and others are showing is a typically British thing. Elsewhere people with money might be envied, but not put down or considered "posh". It all stems from the whole British class system, which is still alive and well - as you can see from this thread.

So now I've settled that, feel free to insult me if that's the only way you know how to carry on a discussion, but at least get your facts straight.

schuler_tuned
1st Dec 2001, 00:03
just goes to show what a microcosm flying is, and i don't suppose for one minute that blacknight will go around "lording" his family wealth at his f.t.o., any more than crash barrier would besmirch his character if they innocentley met at any airfield around the country.
flying has always been one of possible conflicts of background and elitism ever since ww2 and the disparity of recognition between flying seargents and officers, through to hamble/non hamble trained, and even very recently, wannabe's that would rather not fly if it wasn't for b.a.!
so someone has the good fortune not to have to self-fund, do you hate the r.a.f. as well?, well so what, the godfathers of aviation were bicycle "engineers" bereft of anything but the thought of flight!
in these troubled times, when our dreams are turned into instruments of terror and destruction, surely we should be pulling together. sour grapes, from either point of view, no longer seem to have any relevance, or are our memories that short?

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: schuler_tuned ]

Easy Glider
2nd Dec 2001, 21:00
blackknight- if you want some free advice, I would strongly suggest a change of attitude.

This is a highly compettitive industry and boasts of £45K family gifts and expressions such as "sour grapes old boy," WILL only hold you back.

When and if you do break into this profession, you will realise that during any conversion training for any airline you are being closely scrutinised by the respective training staff involved. These individuals will be examining:
1- Your general ability.
2- Your speed of absorbing information.
3- Your eagerness to learn.
4- Your attitude.

In my career so far, I have seen many excel at the first three only to fall flat on their faces regarding No.4

Many people do not appreciate the value of a positive productive attitude. Some trainers actually value this trait more highly than overall ability.

liverbird
2nd Dec 2001, 21:18
please make this the last one. no more please

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Dec 2001, 05:48
Well I bring this whole sorry thread to a close now.

The lesson learned is an important one. This flying career thingy is at its heart a competition amongst its players. This competition is intensely felt by its players.

It is all too easy to let the challenge, the rewards, the struggles and the victories - to melt - darkly, into jealousy, contempt, selfishness and weariness.

We've all done it. Sniped at some freckle faced Cadet. Muttered at some monied spoiled brat at the flying club. Resented some RAF trained Chap gliding into that job we coveted with such ease.

It is the Dark Side of Wannabeism. We've all felt it. I have. It is seductive. Sometimes theraputic. Often enjoyable.

Resist it.