PDA

View Full Version : Loyal toast RAF Dining in night

air pig
9th Nov 2016, 17:20
A question to those who maybe between today and the inauguration of President elect Trump who maybe, as I was 'selected' for the honour of Mr Vice. If a member of the US forces is present, does the toast change to 'The President and the President Elect' of the United States of America.

Schnowzer
9th Nov 2016, 17:32
Ladies and Gentlemen...the Donald!

Pontius Navigator
9th Nov 2016, 17:33
The President.

We don't toast the POW.

Lonewolf_50
9th Nov 2016, 17:44
air pig: no, it's to the Commander in Chief (the president) not the one in waiting. The one just elected has yet to be sworn in (in January) and is thus not the Commander in Chief.

For a USN paper on dining in protocols ... http://www.navy.mil/navco/pages/ssp/reference/dining-in_out.pdf

See also OPNAVINST 1710.7 Chapter 8 (https://doni.daps.dla.mil/directives/01000%20military%20personnel%20support/01-700%20morale,%20community%20and%20religious%20services/1710.7a.pdf)

When all glasses are charged, the President will rise and call for a toast to the
Commander-in-Chief of the United States (when foreign guests are present, their head of state is toasted first). At the sound of the gavel, Mr. Vice/Madame Vice seconds this by rising and addressing the mess, saying, “Gentlemen/Ladies, the Commander-in-Chief of the United States. ” Each member and guest then stands, repeats in unison the toast (e.g., “The Commander-in-Chief of the United States “) sips the drink, and remains standing. The band then plays the National Anthem At the conclusion of the music, members and guests are again seated. Immediately after the first toast, the President will call for the smoking lamp
I am pretty sure the USAF tradition is similar/close to it.

langleybaston
9th Nov 2016, 18:42
Famous author John Masters had a good anecdote on the lines of:

President "Mr Vice, the King!"

Mr Vice, already ratarsed "Bloody hell, show him in and pour him a drink!"

Pontius Navigator
9th Nov 2016, 18:43
Air pig, thought occurs, is the US the only foreign representative?

The President will call Mr Vice for the toast, you merely repeat what he says. Where several heads of States are represented the form is often "Heads of State here represented.

BEagle
9th Nov 2016, 19:18
If there's a band and the US National Anthem is played, it is not accepted protocol to call out "PLAAAAAAAAAAAY BALL!" before raising one's glass....

Allegedly - besides, it'll cost you port.

Rossian
10th Nov 2016, 09:23
.....USN guest night (the first for many years) the "distinguished guest" lit a cigar after the main course. Mr Vice rose and said "Mr President will you inform our guest that the smoking lamp is not yet lit" to which the reply was "Well light it asshole". It was a really classy evening.

The Ancient Mariner

Tankertrashnav
11th Nov 2016, 09:10
At the RAF Regiment Depot the loyal toast was (and still is, I assume) "The Queen, our Air Commodore in Chief". As a callow youth I was Mr Vice at a dining in night. The PMC, who was a Sec branch squadron leader disapproved of this tradition and before dinner informed me that the toast was to be the standard "Gentlemen, The Queen". Like an obedient PO I duly followed his orders, at which point scores of pairs of eyes looked daggers at me, and everyone repeated the traditional Regiment toast. My explanation that I was acting under orders was accepted, and I heard that the PMC received an enormous bollocking from the Commandant the following morning.

Dont ever try to mess with tradition!

Wander00
11th Nov 2016, 13:18
Similarly at the RAF College: "Her Majesty the Queen, our Commandant in Chief"

binbrook
11th Nov 2016, 15:06
Anyone know when the RAFC tradition was introduc ed? It used to be the normal 'Gentlemen (or L and G), the Queen'.

BEagle
11th Nov 2016, 16:19
binbrook, it was always the normal "(L) & G - the Q" in my time. As everywhere else, although Rocks would mumble the extra bit when repeating the toast.

There seem to be some strange new habits at RAFC now - such as throwing SD caps in the air on the Senior Entry carpet in College Hall after the graduation parade....

Mr Bollo
11th Nov 2016, 19:23
Many years ago I was a University Cadet on Liverpool UAS. At our dining in nights at RAF Woodvale, the loyal toast was always: " The Queen, Duke of Lancaster".

wrecker
11th Nov 2016, 20:46
TTN said:-

"Don't ever try to mess with tradition! "

They have not been around long enough.
It can only be a habit!

Tankertrashnav
11th Nov 2016, 22:38
As everywhere else, although Rocks would mumble the extra bit when repeating the toast.

I always suspected you might be a bit deaf. I'm absolutely certain that RAF Regiment officers would not "mumble" the extra bit, as you call it!

Wrecker - isn't that what the Grey Funnel Line chaps say about all RAF traditions?

BEagle
12th Nov 2016, 21:18
With only a couple of Rock officers on the station, I can assure you that they were heavily outnumbered by all other branches, TTN - so their little mumblings were pretty well ignored "Rocks trying to make some point" as a colleague described it.

Best immediately-after-the-loyal-toast event in recent memory concerned the famous 'pink rabbit' night at Coningsby back in F-4 days....http://www.pprune.org/6824605-post70.html

BEagle
12th Nov 2016, 21:47
Jugs of water?

There shouldn't be any glassware on the table after dinner, except port glasses - which those who do not wish to drink alcohol may have substituted by a glass of water.

Union Jack
12th Nov 2016, 22:51
There shouldn't be any glassware on the table after dinner, except port glasses - which those who do not wish to drink alcohol may have substituted by a glass of water. - BEagle

Now, now, BEagle - You must make allowance for those from Services with longer traditions, such as drinking Madeira rather than port, and with a knowledge of Scottish history and the custom of drinking a toast - in port or Madeira rather than water - to a presumptive king.:=

Talking of traditions, or indeed habits, I still shudder when I recall seeing an officer in a lighter shade of blue eating potato crisps in a wardroom mess - out of a packet.......:sad:

Jack

Tankertrashnav
13th Nov 2016, 09:40
but keep an eye out for the jocks at the table.

Depends which Jocks, of course. Its a misconception to assume that all Scots supported the Jacobite cause. The Black Watch (then the 42nd Foot) for example fought on the "English" side at Culloden, and certainly wouldn't be toasting the "king over the water".

Wander00
13th Nov 2016, 09:50
Towers - hats in the air - done in my day - Dec 65