PDA

View Full Version : US helicopter industry after the elections

chopper2004
8th Nov 2016, 23:45
I do not know if this question has come up, but does anyone know each candidate views on air transport, especially our industry? I know one has a small sizeable fleet including one or more N reg S-76C++ up in the Highlands...

Are either one or the other going to be mega supportive or will they introduce more regulatory measures, which could affect or even put operators / heliports out of business?

In fact I wonder how the HAI will be looking at this and if anything should affect the next gathering in Dallas in 5 months time....

Just up watching the Beeb following the final bit of the election (depending if one drifts off before 6 am) ....

May the Best man or woman win :)

cheers

Flying Binghi
9th Nov 2016, 00:12
If yer think border patrol need helicopters then a Trump win will see a major increase in helicopter usage..:cool:

MC5Wes
9th Nov 2016, 00:20
Customs And Border Patrol Beefed up their presence awhile ago.

If you need a mechanic job. They are begging for help all along the border.

https://pae.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PAE_Careers/job/US-TX-Laredo/CBP-Aircraft-Mechanic-Laredo_R0005793

heli kiwi
9th Nov 2016, 02:17
I guess if Trump wins, there will be some construction jobs for a few helicopters

riff_raff
9th Nov 2016, 03:10
The US military budget, including spending for rotorcraft procurement, is mostly controlled by Congress. Trump has stated as President he would push for increased US military spending. Clinton, on the other hand, would likely continue the recent trend of cutting US military budgets and using the money for increasing social programs.

As for the US private sector, Trump's proposed economic policies will greatly expand domestic oil/gas production, which in turn should benefit rotorcraft manufacturers and operators.

RVDT
9th Nov 2016, 05:18
I guess if Trump wins, there will be some construction jobs for a few helicopters

Specifically in Canada!

Frying Pan
9th Nov 2016, 07:35
Trump is President, so I guess we'll find out sooner rather than later...

Evil Twin
9th Nov 2016, 08:35
The same will apply to everywhere after all elections. Millions and millions of dollars will have been spent for little discernible difference to the common man/woman apart from life will probably cost a little bit more......

Agile
9th Nov 2016, 11:07
Not passing any political opinion, I think Trump knows first hand the usefulness of helicopter, you might know that he owns at least two S76 on FAA registry and one S76 on UK registry.

That makes me think that he might be open to facilitate the use of helicopter for business (aka: urban heliports)

Lonewolf_50
9th Nov 2016, 13:47
Not passing any political opinion, I think Trump knows first hand the usefulness of helicopter, you might know that he owns at least two S76 on FAA registry and one S76 on UK registry.

That makes me think that he might be open to facilitate the use of helicopter for business (aka: urban heliports)
Opening heliports isn't done by presidential fiat. When you hear the term "all politics is local" airports and heliports are lovely examples of how that works out.

rotor-rooter
9th Nov 2016, 15:54
I would imagine that Trump would be the last person to add additional regulation and restriction to Heliports. Don't forget that over the years, Trump has operated S61's, BV 234 Chinook, AS332L Super Puma, S76 and had a fatal crash with an A109 that took out a major part of his executive team.

MikeNYC
9th Nov 2016, 17:57
Trump is President, so I guess we'll find out sooner rather than later...

Trump isn't President until January 21, when he's inaugurated.

whoknows idont
9th Nov 2016, 18:15
Either way, this is gonna be interesting!

Frying Pan
10th Nov 2016, 09:45
Thank you Mike for correcting me there on that technicality.

I just took my lead from the rest of the world via headlines, tv, radio, the stockmarkets and the internet.

chopper2004
22nd Nov 2016, 10:01
If the tabloids are anything to go by today, it appears he is wanting to reform some of the Homeland Security Department's visa-entry program as a priority. This in effect means that thei Labor Department responsibility for making sure foreign workers aren't given hiring preference over American citizens.

So for those foreign students already in the likes of Bristow Academy etc etc then wanting to instruct or fly post graduation,within the US, interesting times ahead.

cheers

Frying Pan
22nd Nov 2016, 10:32
If it's tabloids, then don't go by them. In fact, don't go buy them.

I doubt if any foreign students training now will be affected. However, with the exchange rate and the lack of jobs around I can't see many academies being around for much longer either. Apart from a tax perspective or peddling the ole 'all the Gulf war pilots have retired or died' we need more pilots before the drones take them all! Blah! :D