PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin Sands dredging

mmitch
5th Nov 2016, 09:08
Dover Harbour board have applied to dredge on the Goodwin Sands. A petition against it sights ( among its reasons) the disturbance of wrecks including war graves.
Campaigners against the dregding of the Goodwin Sands deliver petition to No10 Downing Street (http://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/save-our-sands-petition-delivered-115081/)

NutLoose
5th Nov 2016, 09:31
Big article in the new Britain at War magazine about it, it appears they were unaware of their responsibilities, however they are still pursuing it, there was also a bit on the likes of a Dutch company salvaging war wrecks ( that have hundreds of crew remains onboard ) for scrap, and the UK's lackluster ( to put it politely ) response to stopping it, resulting in it becoming widespread.

Pontius Navigator
5th Nov 2016, 17:11
sights, sites, cites

Well my uncle disappeared on a night sortie with no German activity that night. They were in a 29 Sqn Beaufighter on a Searchlight Coop and last seen over the North Foreland. His family never had closure and did not even know what I know now. It there was dredging at North Foreland and any remains were found I would be very happy.

NutLoose
5th Nov 2016, 19:35
The trouble is it will just get sucked up on to a barge and deposited where required, probably as hardcore, and that includes people's remains.

http://worldoceanreview.com/en/wor-3-overview/mineral-resources/deposits-and-markets/sand-gravel-and-phosphate-from-the-sea/

ShotOne
5th Nov 2016, 22:42
There are tens of thousands of shipwrecks around our coast. It's possible any dredging anywhere could potentially disturb remains.

NutLoose
5th Nov 2016, 23:09
I understand that, but there are known war graves in the planned dredging area and the law rightly protects them.

Pontius Navigator
6th Nov 2016, 07:42
I see the point. The cost of checking each being too expensive to do properly.

NutLoose
6th Nov 2016, 09:51
You are not allowed to disturb war graves period, you would have to work around them.