PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads regular John Eacott honoured

Heliport
3rd Nov 2016, 19:32
https://www.airpilots.org/template/theme/gapan/img/header-logo-strap.png

The Master's Trophy for the Australian Region

awarded to

Captain John Graham Eacott

Citation: John Eacott was born in Walthamstow, north east London, and brought up in Chingford, Essex. His father was a Second World War RAF Beaufighter pilot. An early recollection of John's was sitting in a Spitfire cockpit at North Weald, repeated at Duxford 50+ years later when he managed to fly one, so aviation featured heavily as a youngster for John.

John achieved his glider certificate at 16, a PPL at 17, was a Queen's Scout and won a Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award, all of which helped him get to Britannia Royal Naval College Dartmouth in October 1967.

After eight years as a Royal Navy helicopter pilot, flying ASW Sea Kings from carriers for 5 of those years, John had various jobs around the world on offshore oil support, including the North Sea in its ‘formative years’ as well as Nigeria, NZ, India and Eire and a year in the Victoria Police Air Wing before setting up his own business, Helicopter Service Australia.

His Company operated throughout the eastern states of Australia on a variety of tasks, including traffic reporting (fixed and rotary wing), fire fighting, ambulance, sling loads, frost protection, filming, photography, VIP and general charter and offshore support. He spent many a fire season in NSW helping protect property around the state and assisting with film work on local and international productions

After selling his business and all aircraft in 2007 he slipped into a semi retirement state. Subsequently, a working trip to Antarctica flying off a very small ice breaker in support of the French, he found he was flying in a unique and stunning environment. He still does occasional flying for Channel Ten News in a Bell Jet Ranger, some retirement! He holds a number of aviation licences, including UK and Australian ATPL’s, Nigerian, Dutch, Canadian and NZ CPLs, and has about 15,000 flying hours.

John is also an active motorcycle enthusiast being President of the BMW Motorcycle Club and Chairman of the Victorian Motorcycle Association.

He has been a member of the Honourable Company since 1978 and Treasurer of the Australian Region for the last 5 years. In that role he has given outstanding service to the Australian Region.

For his meritorious service to the Honourable Company and the aviation industry in many countries, John is awarded the Master’s Australian Trophy 2016.

3rd Nov 2016, 19:38
Excellent! well done John.:ok:

JimL
3rd Nov 2016, 19:46
Well done John.

Peter3127
3rd Nov 2016, 20:03
And he is an absolute gentleman!

ShyTorque
3rd Nov 2016, 20:05
Well done, John. Good to see a prestigious award properly deserved.

VeeAny
3rd Nov 2016, 20:06
Congratulations John :ok:

Geoffersincornwall
3rd Nov 2016, 20:46
Well done you old rascal.

G. :ok:

JerryG
3rd Nov 2016, 20:58
Bravo Zulu J.G.E.

Stanwell
3rd Nov 2016, 21:08
Yes. Congratulations, John.
We're proud of you - and so's your old man, no doubt. :ok:

finalchecksplease
3rd Nov 2016, 21:33
Well done & well deserved John :ok:

krypton_john
3rd Nov 2016, 21:41
Good to see this recognition - well done Capt Eacott!

Vertical Freedom
3rd Nov 2016, 21:50
Goodonya John......well deserved!

PANews
3rd Nov 2016, 22:08
Congratulations John

B

Delta Torque
3rd Nov 2016, 22:23
Well done John!

SilsoeSid
3rd Nov 2016, 23:58
Nice one John, congratulations :D

Lonewolf_50
4th Nov 2016, 00:18
Heliport, thank you so much for the news, and if I could buy those who arrived at this well merited recognition a pint each, I would.

Good news is so nice to read, because it's so rare.

SASless
4th Nov 2016, 04:28
Easy Lads....all this praise will cause him to have to buy a larger Hat!

Congratulations!

cattletruck
4th Nov 2016, 09:59
Congratulations John!!

Thanks for the incredible pics of flying in Antarctica, I've shown them to people who have spent many years down there but were never fortunate to see it from a helicopters perspective - they loved them.

He still does occasional flying for Channel Ten News in a Bell Jet Ranger,

Bugger, we've met but I never formally introduced myself.

Mitch Vernon
4th Nov 2016, 10:24
Well diserved.

Congratulations!

Cheers,

Mitch

belly tank
4th Nov 2016, 13:30
Congrats John!.

Ive spent many years on fires with John in OZ from around 1999-2007... I fondly remember sitting at lunch many times just shooting the breeze with John, great stories and lies!!

Of note the Katoomba fires in 2000 where we saved the Hydro Majestic hotel https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/04/b5/b4/e1/hydro-majestic.jpg from burning to a crisp !. remember that John!:D:ok::ok:

Heliport
5th Nov 2016, 15:38
Re the Hydro Majestic Hotel ...

We used this photograph of John at the hotel for one of our earliest calendar pics.
If I recall correctly, I tried a test run in December 2003. The idea was well received so it continued.

John was one of the people who kindly hosted photographs for our Rotorheads Around the World thread, and also created the monthly calendars for several years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/FebruaryCalendar.jpg

John Eacott
10th Nov 2016, 19:31
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'm lucky enough to have managed a childhood passion to be a pilot into a lifetime of fun!

Mitch, you're a star and deserve a great career in aviation :ok:

BT, what lies ;) Good to have worked with you, maybe another fire somewhere if the chance arises :cool: