PDA

View Full Version : Be Prepared

Piper Warrior Pilot
4th Jul 2002, 15:36
After the trial flight where the student learns effects of controls, does anyone know what the student will be taught in the first lesson of the PPL course.

I ask this because i have my first proper lesson this month and want to be prepared (ie. i would like to have some knowledge of what i will studying in the lesson) for the lesson.

Any help would be appreciated

Aussie Andy
4th Jul 2002, 17:23
Straight and level, and medium level turns I think, from memory.

Read Trevor Thom Volume 1 prior to each exercise - they follow it pretty closely usually.

You might do better asking this question over on the Flying Instructors (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=17) forum.

Evo7
4th Jul 2002, 17:28
Looking at my logbook, lesson 2 was Straight & Level (i.e. in trim at selected airspeed), followed by Climbing & Descending in lesson 3. However, your trial lesson may not have covered all of Effects of Controls - did you cover trimming & secondary effects (roll causes yaw etc.) - so you may have that. Why not just ring up your instructor and ask?

BRL
4th Jul 2002, 17:30
Andy is correct, I am copying this to the Instructors forum, keep an eye on it there too :)

foxmoth
4th Jul 2002, 20:31
As Evo said, you probably did not complete effects of controls unless it was a full hour trial lesson.
Next lesson will probably be Effect of Controls(2), this normally covers :- secondary effects, effect of trim, effect of power,effect of speed, effect of flap. Lots of trimming practice here!
If you are reading up on lessons it is best to read a lesson ahead, the reason for this is that how fast you learn will dictate what is taught, someone who is a little slow may not get all that lesson done in the time, whearase someone who picks things up a little faster may be introduced to the next lesson whilst heading back.

nonradio
5th Jul 2002, 17:05
E of C 1&2 taught ,apparently formally,on a trial lesson? And then onto S & L on flight number two? Now I understand why some folk cannot hold an attitude, coordinate Rudder and aileron, or trim properly- it's due to about 2 or 3 hrs (inc TL) of EX 4 (never mind 5)to 10 then 15 hours of circuits while they struggle to teach themselves how to fly! Come on chaps the trial lesson should be about selling flying and allowing folk to get used to the sensations of flight rather than a formal part of the course - bring back Ex 3!!
Ex 4,6,7,8,9 must be the most fundamental lessons and can't be rushed....
I'm not answering the original question , am I? The first 'proper' lesson shoule be E of C 1 with emphasis on the use of the flight controls to select and hold a chosen attitude..
"Try looking out of the window, deidre...."

Hone22
6th Jul 2002, 12:11
The school should either give/sell you a handbook which outlines the syllabus and the general flow of lessons.

Your Instructor should also give you a short brief on the next lesson (5-10 min verbal, while he/she is T'ing you up to spend the next 100quid) so you know whats coming up and can study the handout.

Yes is does help if you have a general idea in advance of the important points in the next lesson (don't forget whenever possible sit in the ac, make brmm-brmm noises and visualise/practise checklist, drills etc................it's free till the engine starts & helps sort things):D

Enjoy!!

Edited to add: Err yeah, depending how you go, sometimes a small amount of hop-scotch with the order of exercises may happen (no use cracking one's head on a brick wall, move on and revisit a tad later, can work miracles).:)

BEagle
6th Jul 2002, 17:26
PWP - it'll probably go something like:

Effects of Controls 1
Effects of Controls 2
Straight and level 1
Straight and level 2
Medium Turns
Climbing and Descending
Descending 2
Stalling
Intro to circuits
FIRST SOLO

Enjoy!!

GT
8th Jul 2002, 19:36
I must agree with nonradio entirely. When I take a trial lesson I conduct it as a bit of fun, straight and level and turns. Sure, if the guy or girl has expressed an interest in doing their PPL we'll take it a little deeper, time permitting. If they sign up for the course though, the next lesson is still 4(I), done properly. As nonradio said, 4 to 9 are the building blocks.

To go back to your original question, PWP, you should not be having to ask it! Your instructor should tell you what the next lesson is going to be so that you can prepare properly. So, take a tip early in your flying training and from your next lesson onwards, make sure that your instructor tells you what to prepare for next time - it's their job. Enjoy your flying, PWP.

Regards, GT.

Evo7
9th Jul 2002, 07:46
nonradio - if the

"E of C 1&2 taught ,apparently formally,on a trial lesson? And then onto S & L on flight number two?"

comment was directed at me, then it's because I worded my post poorly. I was trying to explain the order in which I was taught - Straight & Level did follow Effects of Controls. However, my second flight was effects of controls part 2, which is why I asked if he had covered that. My first lesson of circuits came after roughly 8 hours tuition. I have no problems with trim, balance or altitude holding though - thanks for asking... ;)

FormationFlyer
9th Jul 2002, 12:29
nonradio

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Exactly.

I teach the same way as you. This appears to be very much the new JAR way it would appear. If you cast your eyes back to the old AOPA UK PPL syllabus it basically has them in the circuit after about approx 5-6 hours (says after lessons 1-5) way too soon.

Like you I believe that time should be taken over this...

The trial lesson is 45mins (Ex3) covers only a few bits of exercise 4.1 (primary effects of controls, natural sense, amount of deflection)

Lesson one after trial lesson is the START of the PPL for real and it is Ex4.1 E of C 1, IN FULL (combined with Ex1,2,5). People on trial lessons tend to have a gap before taking up lessons, you dont even know if you are going to see them again, could be months before they start in earnest. So its important to do Ex4.1 in full...then Ex4.2 in full.

I do 11 lessons before entering the circuit. Something like 10 hours of dual training. By the time the student goes solo we are looking at at 14:45 (assuming it goes by according to my syllabus)....oh and yes I teach both 10A & 11A fully in separate lessons....which I notice A LOT of instructors missing....10A is a worthy exercise folks!

BEagle
What happened to Climbing 2, Slow Flight, Stalling is actually 2 as well...oh and you forgot 11A (mandatory...) and optional 11B....I assume this was just an oversight...? Im not having a go...Just curious why you didnt list these all out when you listed out the others...

Regards,
FF

nonradio
9th Jul 2002, 14:31
Whoa, Evo! Nothing directed at you, just making a general point about early Airexs being skimped on...
Congrats on your ability to trim, though :D !

nonradio
9th Jul 2002, 20:34
Formation Flyer: we are not alone...

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Jul 2002, 20:52
I am of the opinon that there is too much of a rush to get into the circuit.

The average Bloggs is often a little overawed still in hours 2 and 3 to really get to grips with the art of correct attitude flying/trimming and the delicate interaction between power, attitude and trim.

Often the lack of this basic knowledge causes those innaccurate circuits and unstable approaches. Poor Bloggs is then forced to spend extra time bashing the circuit to achieve 1st solo loosing confidence as he goes.

The same thing manifests itself later on Nav where headings and altitudes wander, cause constant changes to power and distract from the basics of map, compass and stopwatch. Ditto for poorly flown PFLs - all the capacity is spent trying to keep the correct airspeed at the expense of planning.

I often nicked 20 - 30 minutes out of stalling to perfect rapid, accurate and confident combinations of attitude power and trim. Test pass stalling packages can be perfected in test workup when Bloggs has more time on the aircraft/confidence.

Chuck Ellsworth
9th Jul 2002, 21:10
WWW:

What have you been smoking / taking / injecting, lately.

I agree with what you are saying.:D :D :D

Cat Driver: