PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an early 206

Jettiejock
25th Oct 2016, 21:18
I am considering buying an old 206A that has been, like most, converted to B2 spec. This is to be used on an AOC. My worry is that, while the machine is going to be cheap (in helicopter terms at least), I may be stuck with it. The price of 206s it seems is falling, at the same time as the cost of parts is rising, as well as I suspect maintenance costs are getting more expensive. I am not keen on buying another R44 as the brick wall effect wreaks havoc with the costs of ownership. But does anybody have experience of trying to sell an older 206 and give advice on the reliability they have encountered with it? I will only buy after a detailed inspection before purchase, including a compressor split.

stacey_s
26th Oct 2016, 04:33
Bell 206 or AB206 ?

206 jock
26th Oct 2016, 09:40
Stacey's question is a good one.

I sold an AB206A/B in 2008 if that's any help....PM me if so.

Jettiejock
26th Oct 2016, 09:44
Bell 206 or AB206 ?

Bell 206. I am steering clear of Augusta.

jeepys
26th Oct 2016, 10:10
Whilst the machine is cheap, that is your first problem. You know there is no such thing as a cheap helicopter?
I know a story of a chap who tried to buy a 'cheap' helicopter from the Eastern Block and after being told numerous times he continued with the purchase that cost him thousands and still did not get the machine.
In this game you generally get what you pay for. Old 206 will cost more and more as the years go by, however, I appreciate everyone works to a budget but at some point one must think is it worth it.

206 jock
26th Oct 2016, 10:50
I think you are right to stay away from the Agusta machine. I am not sure what the story with parts is these days but it was just about to go wrong when I sold mine.

I am a big fan of the 206, but I would go for the best you can afford and that almost certainly means a B3 from a later serial number to allow maximum compatibility with the most stocked parts.

It's not all about component costs - some of the older airframes are suffering from delamination of the roof/airframe sections, fuel cell failure etc. I even had a problem with my old (1970) machine where there was an AD to change the mount for the t/r gearbox and fin, but the old cover fairings couldn't be mounted on the new unit...I ended up having to acquire a replacement tailboom!

Hughes500
26th Oct 2016, 12:38
The cost of having an AOC will make your eyes water as well

vaqueroaero
26th Oct 2016, 15:56
I fly serial number 850, which was built in 1972. It has been converted to a B3 and we use it in agricultural operations. As far as a charter aircraft goes........there is no way we would do it. Although mechanically it is great , cosmetically she is not. We have the old style instrument panel and the interior would require a ton of money to get it up to a standard where it would not be suitable for use as passenger carrying aircraft. However for what we use it for it is perfect. With the spray system mounted she weighs 1940 pounds. Reliability wise it has been a phenomenal workhorse and the only issues we've had I would consider as normal wear and tear.
As others have said there is no such thing as a cheap aircraft. I know a guy who, despite being told not to, bought an older 206 with the intent of 'fixing it up a little'. He ended up spending over $100,000 on 'fixing it up a little' and lost 6 months of use of it during the process of 'fixing it up a little'.

jeepys
26th Oct 2016, 22:29
What's the point. Winter is coming, you may as well take your old B206 money and burn it. At least you will get some warmth from it for a short while.
If it's a cheap helicopter there will always be a reason. If it's a good helicopter it will not be cheap. If it's a good cheap helicopter then approach with caution.
You can buy my cheap 206B3 with TT 2000hrs, new blades, fresh paint, excellent times all round only light private work, one owner maintained regardless of cost. It's on the Spanish register as this is where I have a business but located in Zanzibar for tax reasons. Money transfer by Western money Union. Send a 10k deposit to secure it. Asking price £125,000. Thanks. Oojimmy Flipflop.

hughes269pilot
27th Oct 2016, 09:13
206's are great machines, but you NEED to know its history. They are great to fly, safe, tractors of the sky, but like all of us, are not getting any younger. As we get older, bits start to wear out, and sometimes fall off!! The same with old machinery, so buy the one with the best history, service records, the newest one that one can afford, of the last model that was made. Spensing an extra £50k now will save you £100k down the road. As for an AOC in the UK, do you need one now as with the new EASA ruling from last may, a pilot only has to contribute to the cost of a flight, (£1?) to be legal......who can define the accurate actual cost of a particular flight!!
Good luck finding "that" cheap, good, reliable , safe machine

Jettiejock
27th Oct 2016, 10:04
Jeepys - there have been some constructive replies to my questions; but yours wasn't. Why bother?

jeepys
27th Oct 2016, 10:20
Sorry, just having a bit of fun but you are dead right, why bother!

Hughes500
27th Oct 2016, 17:17
Jeepys

Yup I wouldn't bother

krypton_john
27th Oct 2016, 19:41
So... if you want a highly available ship for the conduct of commercial operations, avoid.

But for a private owner flying low hours who isn't going to go out of business waiting on a part, an older b206 or md500 should be fine.