PDA

View Full Version : German Medical with UK License ?

flyhigh788
23rd Oct 2016, 09:26
Hello Everyone,

I am considering to convert my German pilot license to a UK license. Will I be able to continue using my German Medical Class 1 or will I be required to do a new initial Medical in the UK?

Thanks!

Phororhacos
23rd Oct 2016, 12:00
you may have problems...

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Applications/Medical/How-to-obtain-a-UK-EASA-licence-if-you-hold-a-non-UK-medical-certificate-or-licence/

it's the bit in blue that says

Please note: The UK CAA has been advised by the German Authority (LBA) that, due to German national law concerning Data Protection, the LBA are unable to facilitate the transfer of pilot medical records from Germany to other States. It is therefore not possible to proceed with transfers of State of Licence Issue from Germany (LBA) to the UK (UK CAA), or indeed any other state, as the whole certificatory medical record of pilots must be held by the state to which a licence is transferred. Please note that German pilots’ licences are fully valid in all EASA member states.

flyhigh788
23rd Oct 2016, 13:29
Alright, means I will have to do an initial Medical for the UK I guess.

Do you know if my German Lantern-Test Beyne Certificate will be accepted there?

Phororhacos
23rd Oct 2016, 15:08
I don't think you can have an initial Class 1 in the UK if you hold or have previously held an EASA licence from another EASA state.

flyhigh788
23rd Oct 2016, 15:17
So basically you are saying itīs not possible to convert my German license to UK at all? :eek:

The problem is that most UK Carriers require a conversion to a UK license if a job offer is made.

I was wondering if itīs possible to have an UK license since I know some colleagues flying at RYR with an Irish license but having Medicals from other EASA member states (e.g. Italian medical..). Seems like every CAA has different rules even though EASA was supposed to make everything easier :D

Phororhacos
23rd Oct 2016, 15:33
I "think" that is what the UK CAA are saying but I may be wrong in my interpretation. Probably worth contacting the UK CAA & the LBA directly.
(& you can certainly have a revalidation or renewal medical in the UK to use with your existing German issued EASA licence)

whitelabel
25th Oct 2016, 23:50
I had a few german colleagues and it was a pain in the ass and some of them where not able to do it in the end. Problem is that the LBA is not able/willing to release your medical records and therefore the caa will not accept your application. Doing an initial is not possible because you can only do that once. Basically you are screwed! It is really a big problem. What you can ask the caa is if they are happy if you can provide them with all the data but then you need to call every AME you have EVER been to. Then ask them to provide you with all your data and forward it the caa. Another option might be to change it to an irish or any other easa licence and try to get a uk one.

Best of luck you going to need it!

Mustapha Cuppa
26th Oct 2016, 09:39
Another option might be to change it to an irish or any other easa licence and try to get a uk one

Are you implying that the LBA will release medical documents to NAAs other than the UK CAA, or that other NAAs would be content to go through the conversion process without the LBA documents?

whitelabel
31st Oct 2016, 15:04
I heard the 2nd option might sometimes work. Only certain countries where you might be able to do it. Problem is that the LBA is not willing to sign you off and therefore basically any other easa country is not accepting your application. But i have been told some will accept it but no guarantees. From there on you can transfer to UK again.

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Nov 2016, 10:35
The problem is that the the new NAA wants to have your complete aeromedical record, the German LBA cannot give what they don't have and due to a change in systems they are now having everything from 1/7/2016 going forward.

angelo26
22nd Dec 2016, 16:41
Hi all,

I have the same problem as flyhigh788.

thumied
3rd Feb 2017, 23:55
HI all, any news concerning the transfer issue from Germany LBA to UK CAA?
I am currently desperately looking for a solution! Any idea appreciated!

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Feb 2017, 06:04
The answer to the question in relation to a SOLI to other competent authorities than the UK but the situation is unchanged. If your German medical history with the LBA started prior to July 2016 you cannot transfer to the UK CAA.

DeltaSierra2804
28th Aug 2017, 13:06
Hi guys,

I am in the same situation.

I have an Irish EASA ATPL but with a German class 1. I need to convert my license to UK CAA.

Can I renew my LBA class 1 in the UK (though it expires in April 2018) ?

I am also desperate to find a solution to convert that class 1 to the UK CAA in one way or another.

My first ever class 1 was in France, then UK, then Spain, and now Germany. Everytime I just did a renewal in the country I was living in.

Thanks for your help. :ok:

Krautwald
29th Aug 2017, 06:50
Given my possible places of residence in the future, this might be of relevance to me.

How is the procedure in reverse? If the initial EASA Class 1 was done in UK, all is good in both Germany, UK and the rest of Europe?

Problem only if initial Class 1 is German made?

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Aug 2017, 15:31
@ DS - Your medical should be an IAA one too, it may be issued by a German LBA AME but your medical certificate should state under Licensing State IAA and or Ireland.

If it was indeed done by a German AME they would have sent the paperwork to the IAA as that is your State of Licence Issue (SOLI)

If so you can go onto the UK CAA website and make an application for a SOLI-change.

DeltaSierra2804
31st Aug 2017, 10:31
That answers my question. This is exactly my case.

Thanks for your help. ;)

schilo
4th Apr 2018, 07:12
Hi, I got my LBA Medical 1 in late 2017, can I just convert it to Swiss or UK without any problems?

Also, only UK airlinea require to have a local Medical, with other EU carriers (incl) Swiss carriers, my EASA medical from Germany works right?

Thank you

Hello Everyone,

I am considering to convert my German pilot license to a UK license. Will I be able to continue using my German Medical Class 1 or will I be required to do a new initial Medical in the UK?

Thanks!