PDA

View Full Version : New bird on the block

DirtyProp
23rd Oct 2016, 07:30
A new trainer with diesel engine :eek: :eek: made its maiden flight last September 29th.
Ladies and Gents, here is the Yak-152:

HnFHF5C-KpU

Saint Jack
23rd Oct 2016, 08:26
Seems a little strange that it flew with any apparent external markings.

Lima Juliet
23rd Oct 2016, 09:01
For a training gear (read nosewheel) aircraft it seems to need an awful lot of rudder movement to taxy in a straight line!!! :eek:

Diesel is a good choice as you can run it on AVTUR/Jet A1 that you find at most military airfields.

Big Pistons Forever
23rd Oct 2016, 18:04
The YAK 152 design, and the Chinese knock off CJ-7, has been kicking around since the early 2000's. It was originally fitted with the MP14 radial engine, but that engine is now obsolete and almost unsupportable, so it looks like they have updated the design with a more modern engine.

It would be interesting to see if it is a Russian design or a Western diesel like the SMA engine. Take off performance did not seem very stellar. I wonder what horsepower the engine is rated at ?

NutLoose
23rd Oct 2016, 18:17
That was the YAK 52, this looks more like a total redesign, new canopy shape and fuselage.

This quotes as turboprop powered, I wonder if they are doing a lower powered variant for civil use

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/yak-152-primary-trainer-aircraft/

http://www.yak.ru/ENG/PROD/new_152.php

Bang seats in a flying school aircraft lol, to think there were worries over fitting ELT switches in the panel of UK flying school aircraft , and this has bang seats!

Big Pistons Forever
23rd Oct 2016, 18:30
From the Yakolev web site

General:

The primary trainer Yak-152 included into the UTK-Yak training system and is intended for pupil- pilots primary teaching and professional selection at early stages of training process.

The Yak-152 is a single-engine, two-seater, low-wing monoplane of a classical configuration with a retractable tricycle landing gear with nose wheel and the MP-14X engine. Shock-absorbing properties of the landing gear with low pressure tires, short takeoff and landing run make it possible to operate the aircraft on small unprepared airfields.

The aircraft-mounted equipment enables the pupil-pilot to acquire the skill of using the up-to-date flight-navigation, radio communication and aiming equipment.The Yak-152 has a tandem cockpit configuration for two pilots. The front seat is intended for the pupil-pilot, the rear one is for the instructor. One crew member may fly the aircraft from either seat. The aircraft is equipped with the SKS-94M ejection system to provide safe escape for crew members.

High reliability, simple structure, access to the system units and pipelines ensure easy maintenance with minimum costs for flight preparation with minimum available ground servicing equipment. The wing aerodynamic configuration, wing planform and airfoil have been selected to provide the aircraft functions of primary training and aerobatics.

It is planned to use the Yak-152 aircraft in aero clubs and flying schools that makes it possible to train skilled pilots and sports aircraft pilots in a short period of time at minimum costs.

Basic Data:

Version Yak-152
Takeoff weight 1320 kg
Engine power 360 h.p.
Max speed 500 km/h
Stalling speed 100 km/h
Limit loads +9/-7 g
Maximum fuel load 200 kg
Maximum range 1000 km
Takeoff/landing run 175/360 m
Service life 10 000 hours
Calendar life 30 years

Unquote

Fonsini
25th Oct 2016, 03:26
It looked more like a stunt plane with a higher wing loading than would be expected for an ab initio trainer, not at all benign looking like say a Bulldog.

And I think that rudder had just seen his girlfriend judging by all the waving that was going on.

Captain Dart
25th Oct 2016, 05:39
I fly a Nanchang, which has pneumatic systems, including brakes, 'borrowed' from the Yak 52 upon which I assume this aircraft is based.

The nose wheel just casters; there is no nose wheel steering. Ground steering is done by squeezing a motorcycle type brake lever on the stick and applying full rudder to get differential braking. Lots of full rudder deflections to taxi straight, particularly in a crosswind. If you can taxi it, you can fly it!

sycamore
25th Oct 2016, 09:41
Best to apply full rudder ,then sqeeze the brake,...gently....same on Vampire,Meatbox,etc..

Lonewolf_50
25th Oct 2016, 19:32
Bang seats in a flying school aircraft lol, to think there were worries over fitting ELT switches in the panel of UK flying school aircraft , and this has bang seats!
T-6 Texan II (USN and USAF) is a primary trainer that has "bang seats" as well. (I seem to recall that the Canadians are also using the T-6, but it may fly under a different name).