PDA

View Full Version : 820Sqn Sea King crash 1999 - photos?

mat777
18th Oct 2016, 16:20
Hi all,

I've recently become involved in the preservation of the mortal remains of ZG875, the last Sea King ever built. It was written off in an accident on the Spanish Navy ship Reina Sofia in 1999 - having landed for refuelling with autoheading still enabled, the ship altered course and the helicopter's systems attempted to correct whilst it was still tethered to the deck. Result - one very bent Sea King (but no serious injuries or fatalities).
The accident report online only states that the aircraft "spun round", but anecdotal evidence (and damage evident on the cockpit) suggests it actually fell over onto its side.
Anyway, I refuse to believe that nobody on board the ship managed to get a photograph of the aftermath, (and there must surely have been evidence photos?), although nothing is forthcoming online despite exhaustive searches. As a very long shot, would anyone on here know someone that was present on the ship that day or who was in 820 Squadron, who might be able to provide more information?
General images of 875 routine duties also gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

Democritus
18th Oct 2016, 17:49
You may already have all this information but from the excellent "Fleet Air Arm Helicopters Since 1943" book by Lee Howard, Mick Burrow and Eric Myall:

ZG875. During rotors-running refuel on deck, uncontrolled yaw to port, spun around stbd sponson which collapsed, a/c fell on starboard side, onboard Spanish Navy frigate SNS Reina Sofia in Eastern Minch, Scotland, Cat. 4, 12.6.99 (Lt AC Chaloner, Lt JR Mitchell & Lt M Roberts OK, L/A A Davies injured); Offloaded Faslane 14.6.99; FSAIC Yeovilton by road 17.6.99; 760 Sqdn/DCAE Sultan, Gosport by road 30.10.00 as GI Class GR(2) A2816; Extant [TFH 3700.35]

Abbreviations Decode: Cat. - Category of Accident. L/A - Leading Airman. FSAIC - Flight Safety and Accident Investigation Centre. DCAE - Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering. GI - Ground Instructional (Airframe). TFH - Total Flying Hours.

There are two M Roberts in the Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association - Chaloner and Mitchell are not listed as members. An enquiry to the Administration Director, FAAOA, 4 St James's Square, London, SW1Y 4JU may be beneficial as that may result in your request being placed on the website. There must be quite a few 820 aircrew of that era as members who will know more.

Thomas coupling
19th Oct 2016, 11:51
The current boss of the Brunei SAR outfit (Jamie Mitchell) did this and when he was in the navy. He served the rest of his mil flying time with the RAF for his sins....
I did have a picture of it lying on its side on deck, but can't find it. I'll keep looking.
The auto pilot hdg hold light bulb was very dim and both pilots assumed it was out. It was the days when lashings weren't compulsory all round!. The Captain climbed out to go talk inside the hangar and the co-pilot got his sarnie's out. The ship altered course and the SK said "no". It then fell over! Ever since then pilots were advised to 'monitor the pedals whilst on deck'.

Al-bert
19th Oct 2016, 18:38
the first thing 'we' always were taught to do, post landing on deck, was stab out - but then we learned to fly them stab out too in the RAF :E

mat777
20th Oct 2016, 18:42
Many thanks chaps, I'm once again impressed by the connective pwoer of the internet!

Democritus - thats a lot more of a detailed report than I had found, strange to see that one does mention it falling over but the freely available ones dont.
I have penned a letter to the FAAOA, fingers crossed for a response.

Thomas - if you could find the photo that would be truly superb! After some googling from your post, I thought I had managed to track down Jamie Mitchell's email address online (firstname lastname at shell dot com) but having tried to send an email introducing myself, it has bounced back as unrecognised. Would you happen please to have a working contact address for him via PM at all?
Are you ex 820Sqn as well? Once the cockpit is finished and doing the rounds at shows, I would love to be able to meet any crew that flew on it in period and reunite them.

Al - I'm staying out of it http://www.pistonheads.com/inc/images/whistle.gif

Anyway, forgot to add in my original posts - here's some pictures of 875's current state. We're hoping to have her externally finished (side windows, door, jet intakes and intake shield are all present and just need refitting after sprucing up) and mounted on a frame ready for cockpitfest next summer, before starting the long haul on the interior!

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=227629&d=1398284123

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=227631&d=1398284191

212man
20th Oct 2016, 20:15
Mat777 I will ask him if he wants to be contacted at his @shell.com address......

Thomas coupling
21st Oct 2016, 12:16
Got it. How do I upload onto Pprune, I dont have a web base?

21st Oct 2016, 12:19
Set up a photobucket account - it's free - and that has a link facility.

Duncan Bouquet
21st Oct 2016, 16:12
Mat777 - pm me and I'll send you a phot.

In the unlikely event that I recall correctly, I don't think we were so quick to throw the blame at the P2 or the auto-stab at the time.

Either way, it got me lots more time in bed as it happened in the middle of a Ripple (where 'fly/eat/sleep/eat/fly/eat/sleep' etc became mainly sleep and we still had the big piss-up at the end).

mat777
21st Oct 2016, 20:15
Thanks chaps, some PM sent!

Democritus
22nd Oct 2016, 14:19
Got it. How do I upload onto Pprune, I dont have a web base?

You can now post photos that reside on your computer - you don't need Photobucket. After you click on 'Post Reply' click on the paper clip (in my first picture). Then click 'Browse' (as in my second picture) and find the photo on your computer, then click 'Upload'. Close that window and your photo will appear as a clickable thumbnail like my examples below. Your original still has to comply with PPRuNe's size requirements.

Can we see the photo of ZG875...?

mat777
23rd Oct 2016, 16:35
Courtesy of Duncan Bouquet, here's the photo of 875's untimely demise:

http://i.imgur.com/zrovExy.jpg

I've also been informed by tucumseh that whilst being the last HAS.6, its apparently far from the last SK ever made due to MK3As being built up until 94. It seems that the person who told me this must have got their wires crossed, which is a shame as "the last Sea King" would have been a good strapline at shows.....

Thomas coupling
24th Oct 2016, 13:34
Crab seakings don't count, so yes it is the last seaking, er, not quite, what about the 849 cabs?
Piccy now inserted by a.n. other, job done.:D

Thomas coupling
24th Oct 2016, 13:38
Still the best description of what we did for a living. Makes civvy flying rather mundane methinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2XIGMI2kM

bC2XIGMI2kM

peterperfect
24th Oct 2016, 18:09
Mat777,
Great to see the Utility hydraulics are still in the normal range after all this time. That's military build quality for you !
pp

Miles Gustaph
27th Nov 2016, 15:55
Is this what you were looking for?