PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile in Thailand...

Flapwing
14th Oct 2016, 19:04
New toys for the boys...

twinstar_ca
14th Oct 2016, 19:29
and nice toys they are!!! pats on the back to Ned for the great images!!!

Perro Rojo
14th Oct 2016, 19:30
Great looking machines.

KP

malabo
14th Oct 2016, 19:42
Windows look bigger than anything I've seen on a 76. What's on the bottom? Ski basket, external cargo pod, unretracted step, external raft? I guess the days of hanging on to a CHC paintscheme for that offshore cred are gone :rolleyes:

Variable Load
14th Oct 2016, 19:47
These are new aircraft that are owned by TAS, so nothing to do with CHC :ok:

whoknows idont
14th Oct 2016, 20:18
Windows look bigger than anything I've seen on a 76. What's on the bottom? Ski basket, external cargo pod, unretracted step, external raft?

Since we are talking about Thailand, it is probably a ski basket.

cpt
14th Oct 2016, 22:38
Does somebody knows wether a certified modification kit exists to fit these enlarged windows on other 76 models ?

Innleadair
15th Oct 2016, 00:15
Are the D models flying on line yet? be interesting to see how they compare to the C++

gulliBell
15th Oct 2016, 03:40
I wonder why TAS didn't join the AW139 club? it seems many other long-term S76 operators have made the change from SK to AW.

KiwiNedNZ
15th Oct 2016, 05:57
Yes the 76D has done about 6 flights by the time I left yesterday.

KiwiNedNZ
15th Oct 2016, 05:59
"Windows look bigger than anything I've seen on a 76. What's on the bottom? Ski basket, external cargo pod, unretracted step, external raft?"

The back windows were made bigger since the first D came out. The original had smaller windows in the back but to comply with offshore regs they had to make them bigger. The things on the bottom is the liferaft.

KiwiNedNZ
15th Oct 2016, 06:45
Couple more from the second days shoot. Fun times with a great bunch of crews.

gulliBell
15th Oct 2016, 06:51
What are the main advantages in the operational context the D brings to the party over the C++?

detgnome
15th Oct 2016, 09:09
That paint scheme manages to disguise the ugliness of the S92 quite well....

belly tank
15th Oct 2016, 12:19
That paint scheme manages to disguise the ugliness of the S92 quite well.... (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/That paint scheme manages to disguise the ugliness of the S92 quite well....)

Its prettier than the 225:ugh:

Awesome shots Ned by the way!

helimutt
15th Oct 2016, 23:15
I believe some of the decks offshore won't take a 139 sized a/c. Hence the S76 as the option. Higher MAUW with the D over the C++ and more power, which is always nice to have out in Thailand. Paint scheme looks great. (Im also fairly sure when you order 5 of them you'd probably be able to get a good deal from Sikorsky)

KiwiNedNZ
15th Oct 2016, 23:43
From what I was told there is only two decks that cannot take the S92 so would assume if the decks can take the 92 then they could certainly take the AW139. One of the main issues they went with the D - again from what I was told was benefits of having one manufacturer when it came to parts and logistics etc

tasspook
16th Oct 2016, 03:15
Last time I checked, there are an AWFUL lot of 139's parked, or in the process of being parked, worldwide, which leads me to speculate that if the 139's money-making numbers were really THAT good, operators would be parking other a/c in favour of the 139. Will happily be corrected on this.

Outwest
16th Oct 2016, 05:34
The D was chosen over the 139 for one reason.......price

gulliBell
16th Oct 2016, 07:04
Fair enough...I think a new 76D is about $12m USD and a new AW139 about $16m USD, so there is a bit of a price difference.

What is the empty and MAUW of the D? Does it have a much better payload than C++?

Old Farang
16th Oct 2016, 07:14
.................. again from what I was told was benefits of having one manufacturer when it came to parts and logistics etc
A great pity that the powers that be in all branches of the Thai military do not subscribe to this sensible method. Google some of the branches and look at the diverse range of all aircraft that they operate.

tasspook
16th Oct 2016, 09:18
Does it have a much better payload than C++?

Hahahahahaha........um, where does one even attempt to start answering this VERY timely question???

Flapwing
17th Oct 2016, 14:43
The ACs may have to be removed so the payload will match the C++........

tottigol
18th Oct 2016, 00:27
Truth is Lockheed is trying to get rid of the parked D models by organizing raffles.
At least one of the launch customers has returned them and handed over the keys and are now flying the AW139.

Nescafe
18th Oct 2016, 00:52
It's an old tart in a new dress.

gulliBell
18th Oct 2016, 05:14
In terms of the old tart in a new dress, I think the dress on C+ was a major improvement on C, and C++ refined it a little more. I never understood what Sikorsky were trying to achieve with the D, particularly if pitching it to offshore customers. More power is always good, but does the fancy avionics package in D get you around the patch any faster or safer than C++? Just trying to understand why an operator might decide to upgrade a C++ fleet to D, particularly with AW139 being an alternative in the market.
Esso Australia have just upgraded from six S76C to four AW139. Which is an upgrade equation I can understand. And the Macau operation changed from S76C+ to AW139, I can understand that also. But if C++ is your starting point I don't understand why you might want to change those for a D.

twisted wrench
18th Oct 2016, 08:36
Could be because TAS could not buy new C++īs , The C++īs they are flying now belong to CHC and now TAS will ( do) own there own D models.

Also as stated earlier they preferred to stay with one aircraft manufacturer, Sikorsky ( Lockheed Martin) for there fleet of S92A and S76D models.

helimutt
18th Oct 2016, 14:57
If you look at the ease of maintenance on a 76 to a 139, and the cost of maintenance on a 139 (ask anyone who works on both) then the 76 starts to look like the better option for a very busy offshore operator. I wouldnt be surprised if these become some of the highest time S76D in the world very quickly and i'm sure there'll be feedback soon.

Holy Moly
30th Jan 2017, 12:18
I guess the days of hanging on to a CHC paintscheme for that offshore cred are gone :rolleyes:

Lately that old paint scheme just represents, lack of strategic planning and vision, general collapse, and execs absconding with millions. Massive re-branding is in order to 'run away' from the past as soon as possible. :ugh::uhoh::eek: The outfit that made out like a bandit was LENOVO...

Peter3127
31st Jan 2017, 11:09
Nice pics - March Calendar?

rrekn
31st Jan 2017, 12:30
Lately that old paint scheme just represents, lack of strategic planning and vision, general collapse, and execs absconding with millions. Massive re-branding is in order to 'run away' from the past as soon as possible. :ugh::uhoh::eek: The outfit that made out like a bandit was LENOVO...

Methinx that may be on the cards....