PDA

View Full Version : Any airline pilots here have Sciatica?

chrispike7
9th Oct 2016, 14:48
Hi

Ive been training rotary for a few lessons but under advice am thinking of switching to fixed wing and have a lesson booked. Once every so often my sciatica flares up but goes away with some ibuprofen and some walking around.

I would like to know if any pilots who suffer with sciatica have found this hindered their career in any way?

Has this been an issue when obtaining a medical or has it affected your flying in any way?

Radgirl
9th Oct 2016, 18:25
Has anyone found a pilot without back problems???

No as long as you have full power in your legs the medical is fine. As always, if the pain isnt controlled seek help - early local anaesthetic blocks do provide relief and dramatically reduce the risk of not returning to work

chrispike7
9th Oct 2016, 18:33
Didnt think it would be an issue but Im new to all this so had to ask!

JimR
11th Oct 2016, 16:08
I used to suffer from sciatica and in fact did cause some leg weakness that made it difficult climbing stairs. Physiotherapy originally and now with stretching exercises everyday and walking I don't suffer a thing (or nothing like I used to).

TURIN
11th Oct 2016, 16:14
PILATES!

That is all. :ok:

Loose rivets
11th Oct 2016, 23:16
Age? Weight? What other activities?

77 and have had a 'bad back' from 1999 until 18 months ago. Surgery, coupled with the realization that Gluten intolerance was also causing back pain has let me get my life back, though a tad late in my case.

Be mindful that quite a small irritation can cause general back pain or sciatica. I had a disc that was bulging to the left and begged other surgeons to operate. They all said it would get better. It didn't. My surgery was brief and I was released the following morning. Almost a non-event.

I always share these items just in case it helps someone.

The Gluten thing was more a feeling of general 'illness' in the lumbar region, but that inflammation could I suppose be one sided. I was made aware of the connection as a result of a local chap's recovery from desperate back pain. He was an estate agent and was so bad he would lie down on client's beds if they were out. It just went away when he was diagnosed with celiac disease. I stopped cheating on my diet and touch wood that part of the pain seems to have gone.

In Texas while digging my irrigation ditches (using my knee as a fulcrum) I'd take a break and walk over to my workbench many times a day, press up on surface and press the edge of the bench into my stomach just above my nuts. It really felt good on the lower back and eased any hint of sciatica in the left leg.

I did quite a few other things to give traction and I'm sure it helped generally but certainly, to this day, it will instantly relieve the slight sciatic symptoms that come back intermittently.

If you're young, you should find out exactly what is causing the problem.

G0ULI
12th Oct 2016, 02:29
Rotary wing aircraft and back problems do seem to be linked more frequently than can be explained by random chance. Vibration may be one cause but you also seem to be using all your limbs constantly just to stay up in the air, unlike fixed wing aircraft which can allow some degree of relaxation. Just my opinion.

Over the counter pain medication can help, but can also seriously mess with your flying abilities if you are susceptible to some ingredients. Equivalent to the performance reduction you get from a hangover but without the headache.

chrispike7
13th Oct 2016, 20:41
Im 32 years old. Had this since I was 25 and it doesnt usually cause me any issues just flares up every once in a while, like once every 3/4 months. I fo find pilates helps a fair bit.

I cant see me not passing my medical with this condition, however when it does flare up I would be wise not to fly for a couple of days.

Going to a special 'back clinic' soon so fingers crossed.

Im only a trainee pilot so I hope it wont hold me back.

chrispike7
13th Oct 2016, 20:42
Interesting comments about gluten, I too suffer from a mild intolerance.

blue up
17th Oct 2016, 19:41
Worth Googling for "I used to take a lot of Ibuprofen and now I have Gluten Intolerance and a bad back".

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=I+used+to+take+a+lot+of+Ibuprofen+and+now+I+have+Gl uten+Intolerance+and+a+bad+back&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=USkFWLeJK6rS8AfhsaTACw

Loose rivets
17th Oct 2016, 22:09
That's interesting. I note well down the article a mention of curcumin. It now seems that it's important, indeed vital, to consume the spice cooked with food.

My pal in Texas changed the path of his Parkinson's with taking curcumin but sadly having to take it in food wasn't known about then.

Back then, after some months of observation, I wrote a thread on here 'Have I witnessed a miracle?' (He had periods of being able to work again and even play the piano, though sadly not for long.) I also posted my pal's write-up which was in turn commented upon by Mac the Knife. Mac had found research being done just a few miles away from my pal in Austin which my pal was unaware of. All years ago now and said pal was last seen making his way around his home on a substantial scooter.

I used to pop pills for sports injuries all too easily and also rinse my hands in all kinds of chemicals after DIYing cars. I breathed in paint thinners and consumed rubbish food by the tonne. All rather silly really as I used to run and swim and even weight-lift until nearly 60. I could fool folk with an apparent fitness and even fooled myself for a long time.

It seems bodies need taking care of right down to molecular level but I fear it'll be a long time before we live in science fiction style medical perfection. Perhaps the new detailed awareness of the inner workings of the cells that make up our human form will prod people into improving their environments, but somehow I think most people assume it won't happen to them. I did.

Smeagol
18th Oct 2016, 11:58
Winnerhofer

"....teeth #26 and #46"

Just how many teeth do you have? And are you human?

Winnerhofer
18th Oct 2016, 17:31
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/dental-numbering-systems-perm3126/95/dental-numbering-systems-perm-2-728.jpg?cb=1281424221
http://www.americantooth.com/downloads/instructions/Dental_Sys_Permanent_Teeth.pdf

Smeagol
20th Oct 2016, 09:38
Winnerhofer

Thank you for that, most enlightening to us non-dental types.

Winnerhofer
22nd Oct 2016, 18:21
An alternative to Pilates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsYzDTuGzhI

Brian 48nav
24th Oct 2016, 07:38
This item caught my eye because my pilot son, who is in his 40s, has been suffering from the same problem.

I'm not a 'quack' nor wish to step on their toes but I suggested he has a look at 'Treat your own back' a book by Robin MacKenzie, as I believe sciatica often starts with low back pain. The author, if still alive, is a Kiwi ,highly respected for his work as a physiologist.

chrispike7
1st Nov 2016, 14:38
How does your son find it passing his medicals? Or flying in general? Any issues?

AlexJT
1st Nov 2016, 14:50
Hi Chris, I followed a few of your posts, re: rotary flying etc. Any particular reason that you've been recommended towards fixed wing now, if you don't mind me asking?

chrispike7
1st Nov 2016, 19:54
Hi Alex

Its mainly due to the future prospects. It appears there are far more opportunities in SE England for fixed wing ATPL pilots, as well as the pay in general being better.

I didnt mind switching as I generally enjoy aviation as a whole and want to be able to earn well from it also.

Its also nice that fixed wing is alot cheaper!

Each to their own though. After doing a few heli lessons I have great respect for heli pilots.

AlexJT
2nd Nov 2016, 22:09
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean yes.

I hope you manage to keep your sciatica under control.

All the best.

Brian 48nav
3rd Nov 2016, 20:57
I think it has not been an issue - his medical that is.

Radgirl & ginger nut would be the people to ask here.