PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian or Flydubai?

CAP B767
8th Oct 2016, 16:55
Hello guys, what would you recommend me between Flydubai(737) and Ethiopian( 767 fleet) captain position.

White Knight
9th Oct 2016, 05:46
Do you want to live in Dubai or Addis?

flyac
9th Oct 2016, 10:47
Well, it depends hardly what type of flying you enjoy the most: Is it longhaul? Go for Ethiopian.
Is it short/middlehaul with mostly turnarounds and some layovers? Go for FZ.
However, the salary is much better at FZ than with ET and i think Dubai is a 'bit' better to live rather than Addis.
But when it comes to rosters, FZ doesn't sound appealing either.
From my own preference i would take FZ but once again it's very important that you make sure for yourself what type of flying suits you more.
I'm done with the sandpit but there are still people enjoying it there.
Good luck with your decision.

CAP B767
9th Oct 2016, 18:38
Thanks flyac. I'm looking for a balance decision thinking in quality of life. Fatiguing rosters, city, pay. The idea is going to fly for a period of 5 years and come back to south America for the retirement.( I am 54 )

wabulabantu
10th Oct 2016, 17:45
I'm not a pilot, so I can't comment on the type of flying or the employment conditions of either airline. That said, I've traveled extensively in Ethiopia and the UAE. I like both countries and Addis/Dubai and could easily live in either place. If I had to choose, I'd pick Addis though. MUCH better climate, incredible culture, food, music, and it has that Africa "edge".

There's a big caveat though - Ethiopia is entering a period of uncertainty that hasn't been seen since the dying days of the Derg regime. The government imposed a 6 month state of emergency yesterday. If there were any country in Africa on the knife edge of an "African happy story" or falling into an abyss, it is Ethiopia.

No matter what happens politically in Ethiopia, I do think that the airline will remain strong and on a growth track. The various governments seem to have generally kept their paws off of it's management, even during the period of Communist rule.

Old King Coal
10th Oct 2016, 20:20
Ditto what wabulabantu said !

For my own part, I quit FZ after 7½ years there as an 'A' scale Captain wherein I am now flying in East Africa and loving it !

That said, your mileage may vary.

CAP B767
11th Oct 2016, 00:55
Thanks Wabulabantu and Old king coal. Please Old king Coal, tell me about how is living, working and saving money in the sandpit. Another concern is that I'm currently flying B767 and the contract in Ethiopian since The B767 I think maximum is going to last maybe a couple of years . I will be going to Ethiopian by myself and conmute to south America, or if I join FZ I'll go with my wife . My kids are flying in USA.

Old King Coal
11th Oct 2016, 06:33
CAP B767: Everything you ever wanted to know about flydubai can be read here (http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/335052-flight-deck-positions-flydubai-master-thread-merged.html), and it's well worth a read.

Wrt living in Dubai: I hated the place, but my wife liked it.
Wrt working in Dubai: You can expect FZ to get the maximum amount of work possible out of you, along with lots of back-of-the-clock flights and a very unsympathetic rostering regime,
Wrt saving money in the sandpit: That very much depends on the lifestyle that you choose to live. With just the two of you there, it's possible (if you live somewhat frugally) to put away a few coins, but do consider carefully that Dubai is in expensive town and if you're not carefully it's easy to burn through the coins.

davidaz68
11th Oct 2016, 14:00
they have nothing in common.
Eth has a commuting contract, you don't have to live in addis as you do 20 on/10 Off + vacations. If you go to FlyDubay you need to move and live in Dubai.
the aircraft and their employment are completely different, so it's up to you and it's impossibile to give you any suggestion

CAP B767
11th Oct 2016, 15:06
Thanks Old King Coal.Reading the FZ forum I understand that it is close to slavery flying at nights and minimum rest to the following flight.
I am pretty sure that weather in addis is 100% better and must be green and beautiful although the level of poverty and conditions to live are not desirable.

The Ancient Geek
11th Oct 2016, 16:28
In a rich country like Dubai you will be the poor man in town.
In a poorer country like Ethiopia you will be a rich man in a poor town on the same income.
Addis is actually quite a nice place.

4runner
15th Oct 2016, 03:26
You could also do Ethiopian and get upgraded to the 78. I've spent time in Addis and Dubai and MUCH prefer Addis. You'll be paying a minimum of $2500 a month rent in Dxb and that's to be paid in advance one year typically for expats. Expect your landlord to raise your rent after 6 months...You won't have the time or energy to go on vacation in Dubai.
Ethiopian will fly you and your family business class to anywhere in their network. If you and the Mrs. want to take your 10 days in Bangkok, no problem, business class all the way. You'll be treated with respect at Ethiopian and at all your destinations. You will be treated like a second tier, low cost airline monkey at FlyDubai. You will be told what to do by Indian dispatchers at FlyDubai. At Ethiopian, you're in charge. Addis is a lot of fun. Dubai is the Paris of the sand box...You'll save more money at Ethiopian. At FlyDubai, your wife will be so bored that you'll find her trying to keep up with all the other pilot Mrs. Thus, no savings. If you want to leave FlyDubai, it will take you 2 months. If you quit FlyDubai after a year, you will owe them $ for training even if you were already typed and current on the 73. If you leave without notice and paying your "debt" to FlyDubai, you will be arrested if u ever return to the UAE. Don't even try to transit through! You'll go to interesting destinations with actual time off to enjoy the exotic locales at Ethiopian. Ethiopians are cooler than Arabs and Indians. Ethiopians don't arrest women if they're raped by a Muslim. Ethiopians don't treat you like a slave. Ethiopians have a rich and vibrant culture. Ethiopians don't hate infidels. Ethiopian women are hot. Ethiopian engineers know all the good bars, clubs and restaurants in all the destinations. Ethiopian engineers will look for the best woman in the country to introduce you to. Ethiopian engineers will watch your back late at night at shady locations they have taken you to. Ethiopians are funny and curious.

Old King Coal
16th Oct 2016, 04:08
4runner: :D:D:D:D:D

CAP B767
17th Oct 2016, 02:27
Thanks 4Runner.

MD80767 Driver
19th Oct 2016, 06:42
I did the tests in Addis last week. DEC767. I must say that I was impressed with the people there. Very very nice. And well organized programme. Beginning my on-line course today.

NGFellow
19th Oct 2016, 10:01
Will Ethiopian consider anyone who is sim current on the NG but has not flown in the past 24 months?

MD80767 Driver
20th Oct 2016, 06:46
I would write to Helen, [email protected] and ask her if I was you.

737seeker
20th Oct 2016, 08:32
they r taking even non type rated on B737NG.

Flexable
20th Oct 2016, 13:43
4runner i just want to thank you for your excellent constructive post.
Makes me want to go.
Cheers

CAP B767
20th Oct 2016, 14:56
Reading all about Ethiopian, I am going to send the application. It looks a good place and company to work. Thanks to all colleagues for the advice.
One last question. I have most than enough experience and hours for the B767 CAP job, but my English is ICAO 4 . Ethiopian will consider me ?
Regards

captseth
20th Oct 2016, 17:27
Yes they will consider you. You will get tested in Addis anyway during the training phase or just afterwards. The 767 position is available as well as the 737, when the 767 fleet is put down you have the possibility of a fleet transfer. The 737 pays more due to availability (or necessity) of overtime. Meseret is no longer the lead recruiter, not sure who is.

People are nice, but the contract has its eccentricities. The level of BS is low compared to other expat contracts, and you'll be treated respectably.

4runner
20th Oct 2016, 20:59
Another place to consider is RwandAir. New aircraft, owned by Ethiopian. Kigali is clean enough to eat off the streets. White guys can walk around with a Rolex and diamond ring at all hours without fear of being robbed. The rotation isn't as good but another option. Several RwandAir drivers are former FlyDubai and Emirates if that tells you anything...

CAP B767
21st Oct 2016, 04:36
Thanks Captseth and 4Runner. I hope to meet you guys in addis!

Icelanta
21st Oct 2016, 09:00
Guys,

Would they consider B744 Captains for the B777/B787?

MD80767 Driver
21st Oct 2016, 16:58
Yes they will consider you. You will get tested in Addis anyway during the training phase or just afterwards. The 767 position is available as well as the 737, when the 767 fleet is put down you have the possibility of a fleet transfer. The 737 pays more due to availability (or necessity) of overtime. Meseret is no longer the lead recruiter, not sure who is.

People are nice, but the contract has its eccentricities. The level of BS is low compared to other expat contracts, and you'll be treated respectably.

True that Meseret is no longer in that position. Helen (very nice person) has taken over for her, but is still
answering on Meserets email address.
I was there last week doing the tests. CBT course arrived 2 days later. See you guys in Addis 😊

flyac
21st Oct 2016, 21:04
Wow, I'm a little bit surprised about all this comments. It looks like ET is one of the best, if not the best expat job out there. Is it really better than for example KAL?

ExDubai
21st Oct 2016, 21:37
Wow, I'm a little bit surprised about all this comments. It looks like ET is one of the best, if not the best expat job out there. Is it really better than for example KAL?
Don't think so, but compared with an Dubai based LCC it's not that bad. It's all about your expectations.

Flyoveriraq
22nd Oct 2016, 09:48
ET is not a bad company to work for...i knew some skippers there and they stayed even if they could get a job back home..
The only crappy thing is that during training you won't get your salaty until released on the line....well you'll only get meal and housing allowances (approx 2.500 USD) and after being released on the line, they will give you back those salaries in 6 installments..which to me is unacceptable....ah and this happens also if you are fully qualified and recent on the aircraft. For B777 for example, they send you to paris to do a full type rating, and you will be actually bonded for that.:D
Line training nowadays can last forever, as they are short of instructor and further more it seems that you need to be trained/checked on the whole network covered by the fleet....:=
this means 3-4 months without a paycheck....
by the way i read on the news that numerous clashes are happening around the city due to the ethnic issues between the ruling guys (5% ) and the rest of the population (95%)....and a worsening of this situation is expect....maybe somebody who is there can shed some light on what is going on..
regards
FOI

Tasmanian
22nd Oct 2016, 09:57
The main thing you have decide is either opt for commuting or "enjoy life" in Dubai all year round stucked with 42 paid leave days!

I've never looked at residence contracts even they are mostly permanent and a bit more secured as i think, but i have more than 100 days of leave a year on my current rotation on 737 in another gig and 'm quite happy with that!

Didacts and Narpets
23rd Oct 2016, 22:07
Can someone put up the pay, and other benefits of Flydubai? They keep writing me as I have a current 737 PC but Id rather go to ET. I flew in Africa before. The wife will make the decision for me though. At least at ET there is a possibility of flying other equipment.

Can you get a bizzo or first class ticket on Emirates with flydubai to go somewhere on days off or leave or will they always stick you in Y class?

Medical benefits are a big deal for me as well although you can always buy worlwide covergae.

Thank you for any info.

CAP B767
23rd Oct 2016, 22:46
how much time takes to be on the line ? 767/757 destinations?

Trimaranus
26th Oct 2016, 05:19
757 is only cargo now. 76 flies mostly africa and india in addition to UN flights.
Line training is not so long, it can take a month or a little more, depends on the number of flights you are scheduled to do.

Didacts and Narpets
27th Oct 2016, 20:33
I have spent the last few days on logistics and sadly it would not work for me. If the flights to the U.S. were non stop then yes. Also, visa issues for the wife would be a constant issue. It's too bad as I love Africa and would enjoy flying for Ethiopian. I'd want to be happy, my wife as well, and it would be more of a hassle. After reading the flydubai thread, forget that place, I mean whoa. You're better off at Skymark. Thanks for the info.

3holer
29th Oct 2016, 23:15
Can any B777/787 driver, please comment, what the average monthly wage would be at ET? (year-round), everything included, and flying a fair amount of extra hours (take a way money). Just the average. TKS!

kibz2005
30th Oct 2016, 06:09
http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/560827-ethiopean-infos.html

3holer
3rd Nov 2016, 03:36
TKS kibz2005, it gives an idea, but what is real average monthly take away money flying a fair amount of extra hours?