View Full Version : Could this be true .. EK COMMUTING CONTRACT

adel
7th Oct 2016, 08:17
This was sent to me,
Thought I'd share.
If it's a hoax ... I apologise in advance

Proposal for ‘Commuting’ Roster for Captains with 8+ Years in EK:

Base Pay: 55,000PM (2% Increment PA)
Utilities: 0 (Accomodation in Dubai to be at Hotel, hotel expenses will be similar to normal rostering based in Dubai.)
Phone Allowance: 0
Flight Pay: 0
Education: 0
Provident Fund: 0

Flights: 8,960PM (12 ALT’s (Special Ticket Firm used for base cost), J Class upgradable, Group 8 & 9 Destinations. How much this costs EK in lost revenue remains to be seen, a more accurate estimate based on closer destinations and lower load factors is significantly lower.)

Total: 63,960AED ($17,410)

Max hours: 65PM (4.33 Hours/Day February. 3.6 Hours/Day in Months with 31 Days)
Average Unit Cost: 984AED/Flight Hour.

Free Days: 11PM (8 days off plus 3 Annual Leave Days, annual leave reduced from 42 to 36 days.)
Rest Days: 1 either side of 11 Free Days for commute.

This is an easily implementable plan. While the unit cost saving per hour is not significant, estimates have been based on over estimating costs on the Proposal and under estimating on present costs. However, based on current reasoning, this proposal will reduce statistical attrition of Captains by over 80%. Significant savings will also be forthcoming in both the training and recruitment departments. When asked if preference was to stay with Emirates or take more lucrative contracts in China etc. all recent departing Captains would have stayed with Emirates if this proposal was available

777boyindubai
7th Oct 2016, 08:30
Not in a million years.

777-Up
7th Oct 2016, 08:33
Nice option, if true. A big IF. Benefits seem a little stingy, though?

bigdaviet
7th Oct 2016, 08:39
My money's on it being true. A sign of the times.

ExDubai
7th Oct 2016, 08:43
Nice try.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PNnqjbojqjE

alwayzinit
7th Oct 2016, 09:02
IF this was to offered it would save EK a huge amount on housing etc as I cannot think of anyone who would fit the criteria NOT opting for it!

I do, however, fear that it is but Scotch Mist, to waft away on the slightest breeze.

It would require a complete rewiring of various mindsets that are so set in stone there would be rubble all over EGHQ!:ugh:

BigGeordie
7th Oct 2016, 09:07
I'm inclined to go with "dream on". The sad thing is it would make so much sense for all concerned.

Cloud Bunny
7th Oct 2016, 09:16
If true then is a complete U-Turn on what AAR said at his meeting with the guys earlier this year. The message then was that there would never ever be overseas bases and there would never ever be a commuting roster.

As we all know it would make so much sense and would almost put a halt to attrition almost immediately, but i can't see it happening. They don't have enough crew to fly them only 60 odd hours a month to start with.:uhoh:

Buckshot16
7th Oct 2016, 09:20
Ha .... apology accepted Adel.

BigGeordie
7th Oct 2016, 09:45
It is possible that after the 777 "incident" they have become aware that there is a need to retain experienced captains especially if the age limit of 35 comes into effect. The introduction of commuting rosters could be a part of that? Maybe? Hopefully?

ExDubai
7th Oct 2016, 09:50
It is possible that after the 777 "incident" they have become aware that there is a need to retain experienced captains especially if the age limit of 35 comes into effect. The introduction of commuting rosters could be a part of that? Maybe? Hopefully?
That would require a complete change of mind from the top. Do you believe that would happen?

luvly jubbly
7th Oct 2016, 09:51
Ties in with another rumour....
The alleged chance meeting with Christophe Muller (see email thread post #21) in the men's room where "he even mentioned something about commuting."

TooLow
7th Oct 2016, 10:43
What pills are you guys on because I want some too.

From the Sheik himself: "the money stays in Dubai" or words to that effect. So commuting, never.

Remember where we are and for whom we work for.

Toolow

Talparc
7th Oct 2016, 10:59
Good joke, keep up rowing slaves!

Mr Good Cat
7th Oct 2016, 11:16
Max hours: 65PM (4.33 Hours/Day February. 3.6 Hours/Day in Months with 31 Days)

There's your red herring there... The BS meter went through the roof!

kingpost
7th Oct 2016, 11:27
There's your red herring there... The BS meter went through the roof!

Great spot!

The Turtle
7th Oct 2016, 12:06
Wow that's more information than our "freighter only" colleagues received about their package........

BS sign: "ON"

120feet
7th Oct 2016, 15:04
Sorry guys, removed the post.

Gonna keep my nose clean on this one.

AllDaysAreSchoolDays
7th Oct 2016, 15:37
Can you elaborate on where you were handed this from?

If this is true, it would seriously affect a lot of people's willingness to stay! :ugh:

Why would anybody accept the responsibility without the pay? :=

McNugget
7th Oct 2016, 15:42
So, having 4000 hours, 3000 on B777, if I were to join EK I'd be in reduced terms? Do I have that right?

Ie. Anyone joining from another airline will be on a reduced contract until they have 2000 EK hours?

Good luck getting people to apply. Seems odd, considering there's a chick that keeps bothering me on LinkedIn asking me to apply and tell my friends about the fabulous opportunities abound...

The sandpit was never my intention, but I hadn't ruled it out (never say never, and all that). I think I probably have if this is now the case.

ClassCbird
7th Oct 2016, 16:01
120feet,

Sadly, many of the EK rumours that start on here, have materialised...so i wouldn't be surprised if this were true.

If it is, this is the sort of behaviour one would expect from an airline in dire straits. Are EK in dire straits??? They've been making profit every year so far? They sure do seem to be acting like they're in dire straits!!

No one is communicating anything so who would know anyway?!

One thing's for sure, if this company carry on like this, they soon will be in dire straits...

This would surely be the first seemingly profitable airline to axe pay SIGNIFICANTLY without obvious reason at a time when they really need to be attracting talent!! :ugh:

fatbus
7th Oct 2016, 16:02
Mc why would you join in the first place . Sinking ship and taking on water fast!

McNugget
7th Oct 2016, 16:13
Mc why would you join in the first place . Sinking ship and taking on water fast!

Agreed, but like others, I'd sort of considered the ME something of a safe-haven in the event of a catastrophic blowup at my current employer - a place to put food on the table if it came to it.

I was just wondering if I'd read that right - that I'd need 3000hrs (check) and 2000 EK hours to get normal FO pay. Or, on the contrary, if you join with 3000 hours, you're on normal FO pay - and the 2000 EK hours is for EK cadets as a JFO apprenticeship of sorts...

TineeTim
7th Oct 2016, 16:24
This rumour is obviously bs. Commuting to EK won't work for most pilots because there's no tax in the UAE. That would mean the salary is taxable for the vast majority. The salary listed looks ok, but if you reduce it by 30 or 40% it starts to look very very average.

electricdeathjet
7th Oct 2016, 16:50
There are going to be some really Hour Hungry guys out there, cost index 0 from now on.

120feet
7th Oct 2016, 16:51
ALL the 340 Captains are being downgraded based solely on their EK PIC time. There are guys who have over 15,000 hours of widebody Airbus time that are considered "Not Qualified" to Command a 380. So to answer your question, Yes AND EK time.

Monarch Man
7th Oct 2016, 17:32
Hahahaha, haven't laughed this much in a while...absolute BS, and if true...merely a finger in a leaky dyke...the exodus will continue at an increased rate.

jack schidt
7th Oct 2016, 17:55
Why should Senior Captains be forced to fly with inexperienced FOs? It is not the choice of the said Captains I am sure to fly with the most junior inexperienced pilots in the company. This would be yet another reason for a senior guy to want to leave as every flight would hold a higher risk/threat due to the inexperience.

Prune is become a reliable source of 4th floor whispers, don't doubt the part time idea.

J

TangoUniform
7th Oct 2016, 19:35
There has been a request from the upper floors to put a business plan together for such a deal. The money saved would be a boost for the bean counters. You forgot to mention NO school fees in addition. Taxes? You would be paying them anyway if you were based back home. It is not overseas basing, but rather a commuting contract. Much like KAL, Turkish and others. How many experienced captains has EK lost to KAL recently and to other carriers that are in one's home country. More importantly, the wives become happy again raising kids in their own environment/culture.

But only if this is approved, or something like it, by those in rarified air.

fatbus
8th Oct 2016, 03:38
Has it worked out at EY?