PDA

View Full Version : Which foreign pilots impressed you the most ?

Fonsini
6th Oct 2016, 18:32
I recall reading a report from an RAF Jaguar pilot who was on a joint exercise with the Swedes back in the 80s. They took him low flying in a Viggen and he recalled hurtling down a logging trail in AB while looking up at the tree tops. When it came time for him to take them up in a 2 seat Jag he descended to 200 feet and engaged min afterburner before passing control to his Swedish passenger who promptly pushed the nose over and repeated the performance at an altitude which amazed the RAF pilot. He noted the Swedes as being particularly professional and capable military pilots.

During your detachments were you similarly impressed by any overseas aviators ?

MPN11
6th Oct 2016, 18:37
As an ATCO, who used to listen in on GCI frequencies in Singapore [late 60s] when time was available, I found the RAAF Mirage guys particularly impressive. Cool, calm, professional ... until the Bar opened.

Lonewolf_50
6th Oct 2016, 18:59
For Crazy: the two Italians who flew between our two ships during UNREP in the Med, mid 1980's. They were at about bridge height.

For Professional: the Canadian who served me as instructor training standards officer in Seahawks. Out(:mad:)ing standing.

5aday
7th Oct 2016, 01:00
Name of Willy Urbanus on 252 sqn at Valkenberg. Was tasked west of Faroe Islands and came off task, followed by a roller at Valley, then proceeded on the low level route down through Wales and followed a beat up at St. Mawgan starting low alongside Watergate Beach then finally then a beer call at the hotel in Newquay with Dutch beer
brought in from Valkenberg. All in a SB13A Atlantique in 1971.
Happy days.
He instructed on Gnats at Valley.

Barksdale Boy
7th Oct 2016, 03:34
I would echo that about the late 60s Mirage guys - NG, GW, DW and the peerless RM. Trust they are all having well-earned retirements.

TBM-Legend
7th Oct 2016, 04:46
RM ..... the "world's greatest fighter pilot!"

mgahan
7th Oct 2016, 05:15
Guys,

If RM was Reg Mei... . PM me for a sad tale.

MJG

Hempy
7th Oct 2016, 05:44
Pretty sure Mice died a few years ago?

recceguy
7th Oct 2016, 07:32
So the ones flying the lowest are the greatest according to you ?

That discipline of flying combined with navigating, sticking to the the timing and delivering armament in combination with your wingmen, became much easier at the end of the eigties with the advent of new jets with smartly designed instruments... notably a HUD with the radalt in it

Basil
7th Oct 2016, 10:21
I do recollect a senior civil training colleague telling me that he was most impressed by some Russians he trained.

DirtyProp
7th Oct 2016, 10:26
With regard to flying or drinking?

MPN11
7th Oct 2016, 10:49
Being able to do both simultaneously [most of the time]?

Wander00
7th Oct 2016, 11:27
Then there was the Cloggie who rolled the F104 after take off and put the wheels back on the runway

NutLoose
7th Oct 2016, 11:36
He was Belgique and was also part of the stunning twosome display team?

Roll here

https://youtu.be/jyBDEG9dg-Q

The legendary Belgian Air Force pilot Bill Ongena used to do something with his F-104G that even Lockheed and its test pilots deemed impossible: a touch-roll-touch with an airplane notorious for its lack of aerodynamic friendliness at low speeds.

Pontius Navigator
7th Oct 2016, 12:50
NL and gave our wgcdr ops a heart attack with 3 nuclear armed bombers just yards off the active.

SASless
7th Oct 2016, 13:05
What criteria should we use when we consider candidates besides Non-British, Non-RAF, fast, low, FJ drivers, who drink a lot?

sharpend
7th Oct 2016, 13:47
I can tell you who did NOT impress me :)

F-16GUY
7th Oct 2016, 15:41
In reacent operations (the past 10 years) I must point to the french Rafale drivers. Professional, calm and effective. Oh, and with a cool and capable aircraft as well....

FAStoat
7th Oct 2016, 16:27
Mid 80s,when bringing a BAe HS 125(Viper) back to UK,we had left 7 Islands,or Sept-Isle as the "oh hee hoh" say in Frog,my Ex DH,now BAe, TP Captain had insisted on continuing the flight with all our options going out one after the other.It was my leg and Iqualuit the final destination was wavering between blowing snow and sea fog on the deck.Not wanting to descend until the last minute,we called up the RCAF for latest Viz and Landing Instructions.They immediately asked us to "standby",whilst they produced the Met Flight Orion Captain.He told us he could get airborne and flyour runway heading with "touch and goes" to try to blow the mist and blowing snow out of the way to give enough visibility to land.At this point our options were decidedly poor!!.As we started the procedure,he was already shooting low viz circuits,with an increasing visibility we easily were able to land successfully.On arriving at the Tower,we were surprised to find the grinning RCAF Skipper was no more than 25 and thanked us for giving his crew such good practice on foul weather circuits.Suffice to say we gave him and his crew,plus the Customs Officer, an entertaining evening in the "Zoo",as the Hotel Bar was called!!Having known a few Canuks and Ormande H-B who was a Cold Lake 104 jock ,I would put forward the Canadians as perfect gentlemen and excellent performers in the air!

Willard Whyte
7th Oct 2016, 16:36
Which foreign pilots impressed you the most ?

A very attractive, well stunning frankly, B-1B commander in her late 20s or very early 30s.

No idea what her flying skills were like mind.

GlobalNav
7th Oct 2016, 16:42
"A very attractive, well stunning frankly, B-1B commander in her late 20s or very early 30s.

No idea what her flying skills were like mind."

But, she was fast, no doubt.

Fonsini
7th Oct 2016, 17:00
In answer to an earlier question I have no problem with the "best" criteria focusing on the most attractive foreign female pilots, Ukraine must feature strongly there.

And no, low FJ flying really isn't "it" for me, that was just an example. For what it's worth I found the achievements of Israeli pilots particularly impressive, but there are certainly many others.

Barksdale Boy
8th Oct 2016, 05:28
MJG

No, it was another RM.

recceguy
8th Oct 2016, 12:30
the two Italians who flew between our two ships .... They were at about bridge height.
Why so high ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyOy1JTaD8

Union Jack
8th Oct 2016, 12:59
Why so high? - Recceguy

Perhaps you missed the key words in Lonewolf's post, as underlined below:

For Crazy: the two Italians who flew between our two ships during UNREP in the Med, mid 1980's. They were at about bridge height.

which indicates that the two Italian aircraft flew between two ships taking part in "Underway Replenishment" and thus connected to each other by the replenishment gear and only some 90 feet apart!:eek:

recceguy
8th Oct 2016, 19:22
So I say again - why so high .....

Shack37
8th Oct 2016, 21:27
Abe Lincoln, Kiwi who flew Sunderlands and Shacks.:ok:

Finningley Boy
10th Oct 2016, 15:27
Mutley!:ok:

FB:)

Onceapilot
10th Oct 2016, 18:53
Some of the French ULL stuff in the desert is good, particularly some close ULL pairs work, but most just reflects skilled mil pilots given the chance to practice it!:ooh: However, overall, I remain most impressed by us Brits!:ok: But, if forced to choose a foreign Air Force to work for, I would go for the GAF.:)

OAP

recceguy
11th Oct 2016, 13:33
most just reflects skilled mil pilots given the chance to practice it!
Oh, what does it mean ? In fact, I have heard that a couple of times in airlines cockpit : if I had been given a chance, I would have been flying this jet as well.
No, no and no. Basically you were not good enough to be selected, or not committed enough to pass the selection (hard) or the academic exams (very hard also) so you had to pay (a lot) a private school to get a chance to be in the air, to do something ... not even close.

Now my turn : which foreign pilots did impress me the most ?
Answer : the French Air Force Mirage F1CR pilots, who went to all the theaters of operations (Chad, Central Africa, Mali, Irak, Bosnia, Kosovo, Zaire) in their smart single-seat (no nav needed) multi-mission aircraft. Unfortunately retired since last year.
Strong, smart, educated and cool literate fellows

tarantonight
11th Oct 2016, 14:48
.........It's only a Thread😁😁😁.

QUOTE=recceguy;9537287]Oh, what does it mean ? In fact, I have heard that a couple of times in airlines cockpit : if I had been given a chance, I would have been flying this jet as well.
No, no and no. Basically you were not good enough to be selected, or not committed enough to pass the selection (hard) or the academic exams (very hard also) so you had to pay (a lot) a private school to get a chance to be in the air, to do something ... not even close.

Now my turn : which foreign pilots did impress me the most ?
Answer : the French Air Force Mirage F1CR pilots, who went to all the theaters of operations (Chad, Central Africa, Mali, Irak, Bosnia, Kosovo, Zaire) in their smart single-seat (no nav needed) multi-mission aircraft. Unfortunately retired since last year.
Strong, smart, educated and cool literate fellows[/QUOTE]

KenV
11th Oct 2016, 16:08
So I say again - why so high ..... How do you define "high"? Less than 10 feet above the unrep cables does not seem very high to me.

Onceapilot
11th Oct 2016, 18:12
Hi recceguy.
As you quoted my post and wrote a complete load of bullsh1t, I ask you to explain it or, remove it. Thanks old chap!:ok:

OAP

Brian 48nav
11th Oct 2016, 19:36
And Hercules too! A Kiwi a foreigner?

Shack37
11th Oct 2016, 21:34
Shack37 And Hercules too! A Kiwi a foreigner?

Yes but his English was perfect.

A gentleman.

Brian W May
11th Oct 2016, 22:01
On balance, the Scottish I think . . .

Octane
11th Oct 2016, 23:26
I once saw an airshow in Nowra, NSW in Australia. 2 Kiwi Skyhawk pilots performed a stunning show including a perfect loop with their buddy to buddy refueling gear connected throughout the manoeuvre. The crowd and I were amazed....

Brian 48nav
12th Oct 2016, 09:23
You're right, an absolute gentleman and consummate professional. I met him again quite late in his life after his return from NZ - I'll PM later.

air pig
12th Oct 2016, 09:28
I once saw an airshow in Nowra, NSW in Australia. 2 Kiwi Skyhawk pilots performed a stunning show including a perfect loop with their buddy to buddy refueling gear connected throughout the manoeuvre. The crowd and I were amazed....

Saw two Sea Vixens at Culdrose Airshow in '67/68 barrel roll whilst connected via a buddy hose.

Finningley Boy
12th Oct 2016, 10:23
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Ulrich_Rudel

Ok a serious one from me, the chap described in the link, I've provided a link for Hans-Ulrich Rudel, as I couldn't do him justice by tying to type up his career history here. Suffice to say, one Historian observed that had Hans been British or American he'd be a household name with films and books depicting his war service with the finest in Hollywood lining up to play the part. What I will say is that his incredible escape from the Russians resulted in a foot being amputated, he was to be grounded as medically unfit, however, he insisted (like Douglas Bader) on taking to the air again. Therefore, a false foot was made for him and he returned to the air, he also received a Gallantry award which was especially struck just for him as the highest German award had already been made and seemed inadequate for the degree of service beyond the call rendered by Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

There is another German pilot, name I can't recall at present, but he guided a shot up B-17 to the coast risking Court Martial and the inevitable firing squad or even guillotine had he been identified, a likely outcome at the time.

But these are two I can think of.:ok:

Hempy
12th Oct 2016, 12:09
Rudel was no doubt a great pilot, as was Hanna Reitsch, but they were both fervent Nazis, so no admiration here.

The Kiwi Skyhawk pilots were mostly pretty good, except for the 'close formation' of 5 that flew into Nowra one day. When asked by ATC (after being asked by a commercial 'any traffic for us?') to squawk ident, they turned out to be 20 miles in trail.. :ouch:

Union Jack
12th Oct 2016, 12:14
There is another German pilot, name I can't recall at present... - FB

.... and it is Franz Stigler, and here's the story
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/german-pilot-in-wwii-spared-an-american-b-17-pilot-over-germany-only-to-reunite-40-years-later-and-become-fishing-buddies.html :ok:

Jack

Finningley Boy
12th Oct 2016, 14:24
Union Jack,

Thanks, that's the very chap and the B-17 crew I also had heard that they met up at a Squadron reunion many years later.

Brilliant story!:ok:

Shack37
12th Oct 2016, 15:09
Shack37 You're right, an absolute gentleman and consummate professional. I met him again quite late in his life after his return from NZ - I'll PM later.

Brian48nav
Many thanks in advance, I look forward to that PM.

Rossian
12th Oct 2016, 17:56
.....was on 210 Sqn when I joined it in 1965. His tales of flying Beavers? Twin Otters?? in Antartica were fascinating. He had the biggest collection of 35mm slides I've ever seen.
Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I believe as he was coming to the end of his tour there his replacement pilot took seriously sick on the ship on arrival so Abe stayed and did a second tour straight off.
He was a real old fashioned gent.

The Ancient Mariner

albatross
12th Oct 2016, 18:24
Probably DHC-2 Beavers and DHC-3 Otters...when did the DHC-6 Twin Otter fly into the scene? First flight was May 65 and it entered service in 66.

mftx7jrn
12th Oct 2016, 18:45
USMC CH-53 aircrew, hands down the most proficient and professional guys and girls I have had the pleasure of working with.

Brian 48nav
12th Oct 2016, 18:51
I just spent 30 minutes typing a PM and somehow lost it! I'll try again later!

Shack37
12th Oct 2016, 20:32
Abe Lincoln... .....was on 210 Sqn when I joined it in 1965. His tales of flying Beavers? Twin Otters?? in Antartica were fascinating. He had the biggest collection of 35mm slides I've ever seen.
Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I believe as he was coming to the end of his tour there his replacement pilot took seriously sick on the ship on arrival so Abe stayed and did a second tour straight off.
He was a real old fashioned gent.

The Ancient Mariner

He certainly was that. I was on 37Sqn, K´sar mid 66 to end Oct 67 and Abe was there then. Sometimes the "gent" part slipped when chatting to his friend on 37, Nick Nichols, another gent and a pleasure to fix aircraft for.

Shack37
12th Oct 2016, 20:34
Shack37 I just spent 30 minutes typing a PM and somehow lost it! I'll try again later!
No problem, being long retired I have nothing but time.:ok:

itsnotthatbloodyhard
13th Oct 2016, 01:56
Edit - I posted about Stigler and Rudel without noticing that a couple of others had already covered them.

One who I find impressive was one of Stigler's JV44 comrades, Günther Lützow. He deserves to be remembered, as much for his defiance of the SS as for his other exploits.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Günther_Lützow

5aday
18th Oct 2016, 16:04
In my motorcycling time (still active) I went to a village called Weil in Schönbuch near Stuttgart and was shown the grave of Erich Hartmann
and his wife. After WWII the Russians still had a $50,000 price on his head and eventually spent a considerable time as a Russian prisoner in Siberia
- probably about 8 years - then was released and rejoined the Luftwaffe
finishing his time flying the F104. In his time in WWII his tally was, I believe, over 300. During the summer his grave attracts many aviation enthusiasts and the headstone is quite remarkable - a large Eagle with the left wing extended covering a very much smaller bird. Their house in Weil in Schönbuch is preserved to be much the same as when he died.

Union Jack
19th Oct 2016, 11:49
During the summer his grave attracts many aviation enthusiasts and the headstone is quite remarkable - a large Eagle with the left wing extended covering a very much smaller bird. - 5aday

Matthew 7:7:

erich hartmann grave - AVG Yahoo Search Results (http://uk.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw&type=ch.53.w7.dsp.04-03.gb.zen._.0816tb2&param1=NY7JSgQxEEB_xUvn1iF7ug85ONMjCqKiIwPeslQvYi8mPT3690ZEK KhH1avFD8EU2slacU4aXVZKk1JQ3ZS7Q1OXWgvJGeO8vpaFDsiPSx4gFVWrY ygYKhTPSpYIISgk83Z4QB926gxMaMyqlEpJHYDqvEoHZoHxQFWwIHhQjJRgJ RCloG0lyOAdBcIVUBCkclTSSjhde-4B_R6-rGe0RNNGtBmBOWaYVmh_jhGm9cl28Pp8b_p1XQpuC9bmGL8T2Oh7bLcO-3nMpSV7Kef_Rlq-Ct7GbS3yYwVTyebxENKS-TMTxMH3BXO9jetopyljF-0G6AXiBvGuMccdK_e3j015ujlQgYbF6ApTUWOKtURzMqdhCvMlXWnkzL6P8w jIbUZyTJAHc4xnQO_pD34A0&param2=browser_search_provider&param3=ch.53.w7.dsp.04-03.gb.zen._.0816tb2&p=erich+hartmann+grave)

Jack

5aday
19th Oct 2016, 12:49
Jack,
Thank you.

Dave

Chugalug2
20th Oct 2016, 08:01
Shack37:-
Abe Lincoln, Kiwi who flew Sunderlands and Shacks.

and, as pointed out by B48N, Hercules as well. In my case (1968-71) on 30 Sqn at Fairford. Abe's tales of the Antarctic and his beloved Trotters have been mentioned already. What fascinated me most though was his recollections of operating the Sunderland which required, according to Abe, as extensive a knowledge of Seamanship as it did Airmanship. As all who knew him agreed, a true gentleman as well as being a highly experienced pilot.

Shack37
20th Oct 2016, 15:17
Shack37:-
Quote:
Abe Lincoln, Kiwi who flew Sunderlands and Shacks.
and, as pointed out by B48N, Hercules as well. In my case (1968-71) on 30 Sqn at Fairford. Abe's tales of the Antarctic and his beloved Trotters have been mentioned already. What fascinated me most though was his recollections of operating the Sunderland which required, according to Abe, as extensive a knowledge of Seamanship as it did Airmanship. As all who knew him agreed, a true gentleman as well as being a highly experienced pilot.

Unanimous, good to see so many holding the same opinión of AL:ok:

Octane
20th Oct 2016, 21:22
Sir Keith Park, 11 group BOB...

TowerDog
20th Oct 2016, 22:55
. No, no and no. Basically you were not good enough to be selected, or not committed enough to pass the selection (hard) or the academic exams (very hard also) so you had to pay (a lot) a private school to get a chance to be in the air, to do something ... not even close.

Aye Sir, you of course are correct and I respond as a humble servant who paid a lot of money but never got close:
As a teenager I was not a school type but kept dreaming about flying airplanes.
My teachers and parents said I really should look at a different field, not only was my proficiency of math and English bad but I never finished elementary or high school. (Not from a native English speaking country :cool:)
Went to sea instead on International ships at age 17. Crosses oceans working the engine room and the deck. Got bored a few years later. Went back to land and started driving taxi cabs at age 20. Got bored with that as well, but saved my taxi cab money and signed up for the cheapest Civilian Flight School I could find in the US: McMinnville Aviation in Tennessee. $9600 for PPL, Commercial, Instrument, ME and CFI, 1978.
Got my licenses and went to Alaska flying bush planes summer and winter for a few years. Totally useless of course as I was never good enough for anything aviation.
Ended up as a DC-3 Captain at age 29 and a B-747 Captain at age 39.
Pretty useless carieer, I know. Wish I had been as good as you Sir, I would have come a lot further: More yachts and more properties in Florida with early retirement and a lazy life.
Hope your penis size does not affect your love life. :sad:

Ormeside28
20th Oct 2016, 23:32
Nice to see Abe Lincoln mentioned. I happily served with him on 205 at Changi when he came from Seletar when the Sunderlands were scrapped. A true gentleman and a very good pilot.

deltahotel
21st Oct 2016, 16:20
My first BFT primary QFI on JP5 - Luftwaffe F104 pilot Shorty Baumann