PDA

View Full Version : Eight Typhoons en-route to SE Asia

Lyneham Lad
29th Sep 2016, 17:18
RAF sends fighter jets to South Korea | News | The Times & The Sunday Times (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/raf-sends-fighter-jets-to-south-korea-6g69z7jrb?shareToken=c994658ab383de825ca0825ba616335b)

Given their other commitments, am somewhat surprised at this. A well-earned change of scene or something the crews (air & ground) could well do without?

ian16th
29th Sep 2016, 19:47
This will bring back memories to Fareastdriver.

But he & I were only involved in tanking Javelins to Singapore & back.

Obi Wan Russell
29th Sep 2016, 19:53
Just wait for the Government to announce they can't afford to bring the planes back and it was actually a secret sales promotion to sell them to Malaysia....

Warmtoast
29th Sep 2016, 21:17
According to the Daily Express in an article about the tour of the Reds to the Middle and Far East here: Brexit Britain spearheaded by the Red Arrows, air shows will promote the UK outside EU | UK | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/715692/RAF-Red-Arrows-front-Brexit-Britain-sales-campaign-today)
the RAF Typhoon jets will display their capabilities in Exercise Eastern Vortex in South Korea.

57mm
30th Sep 2016, 06:33
When we went on det to Butterworth with V Sqn F3s, the amount of hangers-on was simply silly; many of them had nothing to do with the aircraft. I imagine it will be the same this time, at taxpayers' expense, of course.

Rhino power
30th Sep 2016, 08:28
Once upon a time when the RAF deployed half its combat Squadrons it did have a serious implication to other Nations in the deployment area....but not so much these days.

Whilst nobody could argue that the RAF's frontline squadrons are not greatly reduced these days, 8 Typhoons deploying for an exercise is nowhere near 'half its combat Squadrons'! Half of one squadron maybe...

-RP ;)

Jimlad1
30th Sep 2016, 08:40
How many Air Forces are able to routinely deploy out of area, while simaltaneously runnning operations in two or three different areas elsewhere with their FJ force? Not many!

ShotOne
30th Sep 2016, 13:38
To answer the op's question, yes a well-earned change of scene. But that phrase sort of implies our armed forces are run for the amusement of those serving. Even if it's not so regarded, showing our ability to deploy around the world wherever suits our interests is surely no bad thing?

Heathrow Harry
30th Sep 2016, 15:31
Yup - I'm sure the PLAAF will be really worried that we can send 8 aircraft (anyone want to run a sweep and how many break down on the way?) to the Far East......

I really don't understand this - we walked away from the area 40 years back and there is no way we can go back - and we're not even trying to sell them Typhoon's..........

ShotOne
30th Sep 2016, 18:32
It's not an invasion of the PRC, HH its just about showing face. Likewise, the thousand or so UK troops in Poland wouldn't single-handedly stop a Russian invasion but that doesn't make their presence there irrelevant.

MPN11
30th Sep 2016, 18:35
How many Air Forces are able to routinely deploy out of area, while simaltaneously runnning operations in two or three different areas elsewhere with their FJ force? Not many!Can we really? :(

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1970/apr/06/exercise-bersatu-padu

UKMAMS Old Bods Association - Bersatu Padu (http://ukmamsoba.org/bersatu%20padu.htm)

n less than 4 1/2 days, little Penerak received a total of 133 aircraft, carrying 2,800 passengers, 285,000 lbs of freight and 323 vehicles ranging from motor cycles to tractors. The sorties were flown by a combined transport force of Hercules of Nos. 47 and 30 Squadrons from No. 38 Group's base at Fairford; Hercules from Far East Air Force's No. 48 Squadron; Bristol Freighters of the RNZAF's No. 41 Squadron, and two RNZAF Hercules detached for the exercise.

jolihokistix
30th Sep 2016, 18:48
Re my post of Jan 31st, in "Should we have an RAF?"

Well the Japanese ASDF and public seem to be keen on this RAF Typhoon visit.
Video will probably self-destruct fairly soon...

Japan plans ASDF drill with UK's Royal Air Force - News - NHK WORLD - English

Japan's Air Self-Defense Force is due to take part in a drill with Britain's Royal Air Force in a move aimed at boosting cooperation between the two countries in East Asia.

Defense Minister Gen Nakatani and British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon met in Tokyo early this month. They agreed the Royal Air Force's Eurofighter Typhoon unit will head to Japan this year for the first time.

Japan's Defense Ministry is making arrangements for the joint exercise to take place in the fall.

A ministry official said the countries share the same values, so boosting Britain's presence in the region will put pressure on China. Beijing has been expanding its maritime activities.

MPN11
30th Sep 2016, 19:22
Time to reinstate FEAF? ;)

Flag-waving is one thing, but a 'force in being' is a different subject.

Heathrow Harry
1st Oct 2016, 09:18
"its just about showing face."

I don't think sending eight aircraft is showing face - more like reminding everyone about just how few aircraft we have these days....................

Martin the Martian
1st Oct 2016, 12:11
Let's not lose sight of the fact that they are going out there for an exercise. How many aircraft would we deploy for Red Flag? Or Maple Flag? Or the bi-annual exercise in India (can't remember the name)?

If/when the JASDF return the compliment would you expect to see 30-40 Japanese jets at Coningsby or Lossiemouth?

Heathrow Harry
1st Oct 2016, 15:12
seems a bit unecessary TBH............

pax britanica
1st Oct 2016, 15:29
Boosting Britains presence in the region, what when we cannot afford the NHS , are about to start stealing money from poor pensioners through more bedroom taxes cannot afford to maintain our roads to even the lowest standards but we can 'show the Flag in Japan. Talk about delusional

Do we still have any air defence while they are gone?

MPN11
1st Oct 2016, 15:55
I still have a shotgun ... Oh, wait, I sold that. :(

Just a spotter
1st Oct 2016, 16:24
Do we still have any air defence while they are gone?

One would suspect that there'll be an answer to that very question landing on cousin Vlad's desk within a couple of hours of their confirmed departure.

JAS

t43562
1st Oct 2016, 21:22
When we can't pay for things, it's time to polish our shoes, put on our best coat and hat and go sell whatever we can. I'm sure we want the Japanese to buy Meteor for example.

m0nkfish
2nd Oct 2016, 08:19
Pax, don't agree with you on that one. We will alway be told there is not enough money for the NHS and more needs to be spent on welfare. No matter how much is given, we will be told its not enough and more is required. We also need an Air Force, one that is capable of deploying anywhere in the world at a moments notice and can work effectively and in co-operation with its allies, wherever they may be. Exercises like this strengthen ties between all involved, from the engineers and pilots who go, all the way to the senior officers and, in some cases, politicians who put the leg work in to make the whole thing happen in the first place.

There is nothing noteworthy about this exercise, other than its taking place in a country that the RAF don't frequently visit. From a distance point of view, its approximately 5800 miles from London to Japan, whereas London to Las Vegas is 5200. I would hardly think the extra 600 miles each way breaks the bank, or is worth getting excited about. No one seems to get quite so excited about the yearly (twice yearly sometimes) Red Flag exercises, so I'm surprised by some of the responses on here.

I wish them a safe journey and exercise and thank all involved for flying the flag on our behalf.

Geordie_Expat
2nd Oct 2016, 10:00
Pax, don't agree with you on that one. We will alway be told there is not enough money for the NHS and more needs to be spent on welfare. No matter how much is given, we will be told its not enough and more is required. We also need an Air Force, one that is capable of deploying anywhere in the world at a moments notice and can work effectively and in co-operation with its allies, wherever they may be. Exercises like this strengthen ties between all involved, from the engineers and pilots who go, all the way to the senior officers and, in some cases, politicians who put the leg work in to make the whole thing happen in the first place.

There is nothing noteworthy about this exercise, other than its taking place in a country that the RAF don't frequently visit. From a distance point of view, its approximately 5800 miles from London to Japan, whereas London to Las Vegas is 5200. I would hardly think the extra 600 miles each way breaks the bank, or is worth getting excited about. No one seems to get quite so excited about the yearly (twice yearly sometimes) Red Flag exercises, so I'm surprised by some of the responses on here.

I wish them a safe journey and exercise and thank all involved for flying the flag on our behalf.

The only thing I disagree with in the above is the surprise at some of the responses. There are an awful lot of posters just waiting to have a moan at anything that the RAF do.

Typhoons going to Japan has absolutely nothing to do with NHS or pensions :ugh:

ian16th
2nd Oct 2016, 10:24
Boosting Britains presence in the region, what when we cannot afford the NHS , are about to start stealing money from poor pensioners through more bedroom taxes cannot afford to maintain our roads to even the lowest standards but we can 'show the Flag in Japan. Talk about delusionalIt is an old but true story, that if the money spent on rearmament in the 1930's had been spent on a NHS, then by 1941 the UK would have had the best health service in the Third Reich.

Bigbux
2nd Oct 2016, 11:46
I think it's a fairly straight forward public relations promo on behalf of the UK. Red arrows and a sizeable detachment of modern aircraft (even if that is what is required to keep 2 in the air). It's like having a large transport plane for your prime minister to arrive in, or a carrier, or a Royal Yacht. One only hopes that someone is actually collecting some metrics around the economics to see if it is worth the expenditure.

jolihokistix
2nd Oct 2016, 13:31
Best of luck to them. Refreshing. If sales follow, all the better.

Most people in the region should be happy to see them, apart from X, Y and Z and a certain country in South America which might not enjoy seeing such a long-range projection of power.

The Oberon
2nd Oct 2016, 13:43
I seem to remember that when the Reds used to deploy, they always had a shepherd, usually a Nimrod or possibly a Vulcan. What shepherds these days, a C17? Also, what sort of formation do they keep during a long transit, I realise that visual contact is desirable but hours looking at the adjacent hawk must be mind bending.

dctyke
2nd Oct 2016, 16:56
It is an old but true story, that if the money spent on rearmament in the 1930's had been spent on a NHS, then by 1941 the UK would have had the best health service in the Third Reich.

Yeah, but later a brexit vote would have ended all that!

Jumping_Jack
3rd Oct 2016, 08:59
Have they actually departed yet? Last I heard most were U/S scattered around the country......

57mm
3rd Oct 2016, 13:32
According to the RAF website, 8 Typhoons have landed safely in Malaysia.

TEEEJ
3rd Oct 2016, 16:23
02 October 2016 - Royal Air Force Typhoons Land in Malaysia for Exercise Bersama Lima 16

Royal Air Force Typhoon Aircraft flown by 1(Fighter) Squadron from RAF Lossiemouth have landed at Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) Butterworth in Malaysia for Exercise Bersama Lima 16, the first leg of Eastern Venture.

The Typhoon aircraft arrived as two trails (4 in each), both supported by RAF Voyager Tanker aircraft which provided air to air refuelling for the Typhoons.

Images and further details at following link.

Royal Air Force Typhoons Land in Malaysia for Exercise Bersama Lima 16 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/royal-air-force-typhoons-land-in-malaysia-for-exercise-bersama-lima-16-02102016)

jolihokistix
4th Nov 2016, 08:58
Two further videos, of 4 to Japan.
1. Night landing in Misawa, Japan.
?????????????????????????????????????? (http://www.jiji.com/jc/movie?p=mov765-movie03)

2. Various shorts from the visit
???????????????????????????????? (http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASJC154CDJC1UTIL03P.html)

Fareastdriver
4th Nov 2016, 20:34
Nice to see they used the rudder bar to steer the aircraft on the ground instead of those stupid toe brakes.

Tin helmet on.

Regie Mental
5th Nov 2016, 23:47
Typhoons now arrived at Osan AB, South Korea for Ex Invincible Shield according to RAF Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/posts/10154758153499885

Regie Mental
8th Nov 2016, 22:29
Press release on RAF web page on Invincible Shield including air-air shot of Typhoon with F-15K and pair of F-16s:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/invincible-shield--first-ever-ukusrok-combined-air-exercise-08112016

jolihokistix
2nd Dec 2016, 05:46
Reported on the midday NHK news in Japan today, Friday that these typhoons will fly over the South China Sea soon to show Britain shares the US position that the seas should be free and open to international passage. Sir Kim Darroch spoke at the Heritage Foundation in Washington DC yesterday and mentioned that the UK will have two carriers by 2020, and that it would be of importance to send them to the Pacific in due course.

(News is still in Japanese; my precis above.)
? ??????????? ???????? | NHK???? (http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20161202/k10010792421000.html)

jolihokistix
2nd Dec 2016, 07:26
Ah, the English version is now up.

British fighters to fly over S.China Sea - News - NHK WORLD - English (http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20161202_25/)

Britain plans to fly fighter planes over the South China Sea soon, apparently reflecting concern about China's expanding presence in the waters.

British Ambassador to the United States Kim Darroch spoke about the plan at a symposium in Washington on Thursday.

Darroch said Britain shares the US government's goal of keeping sea and air routes open in the region.

He said British Typhoon aircraft currently deployed in Japan for joint training will fly across the disputed parts of the sea.

The ambassador also said his country will sail 2 new aircraft carriers in the Pacific, once they are operational in 2020.

Darroch's remarks reflect Britain's intent to become more involved in security in the Asia-Pacific region.

An arbitration tribunal in The Hague ruled in July that China has no legal basis for its claims to most of the South China Sea, and that it violated international law. The country has not accepted the ruling.