PDA

View Full Version : How will Luton fix its bending ILS?

Spanish eyes
28th Sep 2016, 18:05
NOTAM

DUE TO ROLLOUT GUIDANCE BEND APPROACHING AND JUST BEYOND TOUCHDOWN ZONE RWY 08/26 ILS HAS BEEN DOWNGRADED TO CAT3A.

For several months Luton's ILS has been downgraded to CAT3A after the construction of a new 5 story multistory car park. The downgrade, which affects both runway 08 and 26, has been extended 3 times now but there are no signs yet that it is going to be made permanent.

Simple question but how and can the airport remove the bend and get back to CAT3B

GlobalNav
28th Sep 2016, 18:09
NOTAM

DUE TO ROLLOUT GUIDANCE BEND APPROACHING AND JUST BEYOND TOUCHDOWN ZONE RWY 08/26 ILS HAS BEEN DOWNGRADED TO CAT3A.

For several months Luton's ILS has been downgraded to CAT3A after the construction of a new 5 story multistory car park. The downgrade, which affects both runway 08 and 26, has been extended 3 times now but there are no signs yet that it is going to be made permanent.

Simple question but how and can the airport remove the bend and get back to CAT3B

How? For ILS, remove the parking structure. The type 3 ILS is already as good as they get.

Otherwise, wait for implementation of CAT 3 (GAST D) GLS, hoping that the ground environment does not impair GBAS transmissions.

aterpster
28th Sep 2016, 18:14
That's exactly what they should do, demolish the parking structure.

RAT 5
28th Sep 2016, 19:40
So who was responsible for signing off on it in the first place. Surely there had been a 'background check' on it? Die diligence??

student88
28th Sep 2016, 19:55
How about this:

b-tDiApbTI4

Spanish eyes
28th Sep 2016, 20:12
Now that YouTube video is very interesting. I have heard about shielding buildings but I have never seen it in practice. By the fact that the NOTAM keeps getting extended rather than being made permanent had me wondering about whether a solution could be applied.

The car park in question still has contractors working on it and is not officially opened yet.

GlobalNav
28th Sep 2016, 20:29
I agree. Very interesting. I hope those in authority at Luton have or will find it interesting also.

bugged on the right
29th Sep 2016, 11:21
Simple, put an identical carpark on the other side.

RAT 5
29th Sep 2016, 12:03
...after the construction of a new 5 story multistory car park. Simple, put an identical carpark on the other side.

Why not put 3 stories underground with only 2 above?

Wickerbill
29th Sep 2016, 14:40
Cost! That's why