PDA

View Full Version : Nick Lappos - Get Well Soon

OnePerRev
24th Sep 2016, 19:31
It was Reported in another thread that Nick is inn the hospital, recovering from massive cardiac arrest.

Nick - We will keep you in our prayers as one of the family. Speedy and full recovery is wished for you.

Maybe some R&R will get you to be soon chiming in here.

SASless
24th Sep 2016, 19:48
I have heard from Nick.

He is recovering and expects to be out of Hospital very soon.

Long story short...he did not have a typical Heart Attack and in effect there is no damage to his Heart as a result of what happened.

He has had a De-fillibrator installed which should prevent any catastrophic events as he experienced in Church last Sunday.

He described it as being a Hereditary Malady that can be passed down and is usually discovered prior to about age Forty.

The very good news is the lucky Sod managed to find the exact right time and place to have that problem manifest itself....something like seven Doctors sat around him in the Pews....one being a Cardiologist.

He expects to be back at work in a week or so but the bad news is he has permanently lost his Medical.

I am sure he will be along to tell us of his progress.

CRAN
24th Sep 2016, 20:03
Get well soon Nick, always love your posts.

Glad you're ok.
CRAN

VeeAny
24th Sep 2016, 20:46
Get well soon Nick.

ShyTorque
24th Sep 2016, 20:47
Just shows how dangerous religion is.

Best wishes and get well soon, Nick!

Nigel Osborn
24th Sep 2016, 21:00
I'm sure you'll be back to full speed very soon! I lost my license too after 45 years & it's surprising how I don't miss flying anymore & I don't have all your qualifications.
Get well soon & enjoy your new life. We do expect to hear from you still!:ok:

Self loading bear
24th Sep 2016, 21:47
Get well soon.
There should be many Revs left.
SLB

handysnaks
24th Sep 2016, 22:03
Agree with all the above, best wishes Nick.

muermel
24th Sep 2016, 22:26
Get well soon Mr. Lappos, all the best :-)

soggyboxers
24th Sep 2016, 22:26
Get well soon Nick. I look forward to learning more from your posts again soon

John Eacott
24th Sep 2016, 23:11
I had a long chat with Nick on Friday, and as SASless says he chose the right place! Apparently Mary asked if anyone could help as he slowly collapsed (as most of us doze off during the sermon it wasn't immediately apparent!) and 5 doctors and two nurses (one from the hospital emergency admissions) saved his life :ok:

In his words:

My heart went into fibrillation while sitting in church and my blood pressure went to zero, next thing I knew my head went down on the pew!

As divine luck would have it, in the congregation were seven medical professionals including a cardiac surgeon. Mary organized the best CPR money could buy that kept me alive for the 10 minutes it took for the ambulance to arrive with a defibrillator.

My heart is entirely undamaged and there is no blockage so it really wasn't a classic heart attack.

The MRI found an inherited 3/4" growth on the interior heart wall that is the absolute cause. It is possible that my kids can have it. They will check my genetics to see.

On the internet: "an inherited condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which causes a thickening of the heart muscle, especially the wall between the two ventricles. In severe cases, the extra muscle obstructs the passage of blood out of the heart and may cause fainting or even sudden death. This disease usually occurs before the age of 40 and can affect children as young as age 10. It has been responsible for the deaths of several young athletes. "

To fix it, a defibrillator/ pacemaker works like a charm. They put one in this week.

He should be back home now and approaching a time to start traveling and enjoying life: get well soon Nick.

helmet fire
25th Sep 2016, 00:39
Great news Nick. Thinking of you!

Ascend Charlie
25th Sep 2016, 01:14
...and on the third day he rose again, but no longer sitteth on the right hand of the copilot. Nick was lucky to have doctors in the church, if he needed a lawyer he would have been clean out of luck there. Wish you a speedy recovery.

megan
25th Sep 2016, 01:34
+1 to all the above. The wings may be folded, but the spirit lives. You'll be playing touch with the kids in no time I'm sure Nick. All the very best.

Sir Korsky
25th Sep 2016, 02:05
Nick has helped me out and the people I work with on many occasions. He'll be along again in no time I am sure. Get well soon Mr L ! :ok:

Gordy
25th Sep 2016, 07:26
Echo everything....

helimutt
25th Sep 2016, 09:01
Get well soon Nick. Just means you'll have more time to pass on some more words of wisdom on PPRuNe. :ok:

Paul Cantrell
25th Sep 2016, 09:48
Nick, glad you're okay. Best wishes on your recovery!

cattletruck
25th Sep 2016, 09:53
So many times has Nick clearly, unequivocally and undisputedly sorted out many of the grey areas of them egg-beaters that live as preconceptions in our mind.

Your job's not over sonny, instructors can only know so much, and your impeccable knowledge on the subject is very much respected, listened to and absorbed.

Get well soon Nick, and we look forward to hearing from you very soon.

tottigol
25th Sep 2016, 09:57
All the best wishes for a quick recovery Mr. Lappos.

Wwyvern
25th Sep 2016, 10:10
Best wishes, Nick, from a Brit who was always grateful for your help and advice many years ago.

heli1
25th Sep 2016, 11:47
Sorry to hear the news Nick....Sounds like you were fortunate with those around you at the time.Am also sure you will bounce back so good wishes from the UK.

IFMU
25th Sep 2016, 14:19
Glad to hear you are ok Nick!
Bryan

Rotorbee
25th Sep 2016, 17:45
Get well soon Nick.

twinstar_ca
25th Sep 2016, 17:58
get well soon, Nick... I too, lost my medical after a small stroke in 2003 and a triple by-pass in 2008.... I have found we make great passengers!!!! ;)

Lonewolf_50
26th Sep 2016, 00:22
Get well soon Nick, and come "see" us.

chopper2004
26th Sep 2016, 06:55
Nick,

Speedy recovery mate ,

Take care,

Cheers

Phoinix
26th Sep 2016, 08:19
I wish you a speedy recovery Nick!

tigerfish
26th Sep 2016, 13:39
Nick,
The big pond is no barrier to your fame, so i send best wishes from the UK to you. Get well soon!

Tigerfish

26th Sep 2016, 15:44
Get well soon Nick - I have just lost a colleague to ischaemic heart disease who was younger than you and wasn't so fortunate with the medical profession.

Soave_Pilot
26th Sep 2016, 16:43
Best wishes to a speedy recovery from Brazil to you Mr. Lappos, your contribution to this forum has helped many of us.

God Bless!

NickLappos
26th Sep 2016, 17:28
I am reminded of the Douglas Bader story of graciously greeting a beer hall full of former Luftwaffe pilots by asking, "Christ, I thought we killed you all!"

I am quite fully recovered with no residual damage, and feel great. Thanks to you all for the wishes and support, and the kind words!

Here is the story, an expanded one from the shorter one I sent via email to a few:

Mary and I had one heck of a scare last week that started last Sunday. I am quite well now, but the story is something! Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested.
On Sunday, Sept 18th, my heart went into fibrillation while sitting in Mary's Later Day Saint's church in Madison, CT. My blood pressure went to zero, next thing I knew my head went down on the pew!
As divine luck would have it, in the congregation were seven medical professionals including a cardiac surgeon. Mary organized the best CPR money could buy that kept me alive for the 10 to 15 minutes it took for the ambulance to arrive with a defibrillator. I truly owe my life to these fine folks who stopped the service and turned that pew into an ER. The team worked on me from head to foot, with a thoracic surgeon who reached to my femoral artery to call out the pulse (there was none). They switched off the compression guy about 6 times. Overheard from the team: "Push harder!", "But I'll break something if I do!" "Then Break Something!"
Their teamwork paid off, my heart and brain are entirely undamaged.
In the hospital they searched for the cause. A dye check showed that here is no heart blood flow blockage so it really wasn't a classic heart attack. Later an MRI found an inherited 3/4" growth on the interior heart wall that is the absolute cause. It is possible that my kids can have it. They will check my genetics to see. I think it is from my father's side but am not sure. On the internet: "an inherited condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which causes a thickening of the heart muscle, especially the wall between the two ventricles. In severe cases, the extra muscle obstructs the passage of blood out of the heart and may cause fainting or even sudden death. This disease usually occurs before the age of 40 and can affect children as young as age 10. It has been responsible for the deaths of several young athletes."
To fix it, a defibrillator/ pacemaker works like a charm. They put one in at Yale Hospital this week. I am home recovering for a few weeks and feel great. Mary is a great helper so I am as comfortable and happy as someone with an electric train set implant can be! My pacemaker logs onto the internet each night and downloads the days experiences for the Doctor's office.
I still work for Sikorsky and I am looking forward to retirement in a year or two but I'm having a lot of fun at work right now. I am a senior fellow for Sikorsky now part of Lockheed Martin.

Shell Management
26th Sep 2016, 19:05
Glad to hear you are recovering and now have a Heart & Usage Monitoring System.;)

roundwego
26th Sep 2016, 21:53
Glad to hear you are recovering and now have a Heart & Usage Monitoring System.

Nice one :D

NL. May your recovery continue unabated.

SASless
26th Sep 2016, 22:27
As that new fangled monitoring is a Bluetooth device....better hope your memory doesn't get deleted by a Hacker!

Cyclic Hotline
27th Sep 2016, 04:44
Glad to hear you are doing so well, Nick. Very best regards.

rotorboater
27th Sep 2016, 13:10
Get well soon Nick, I always take a look at every post you do and they are always worth looking at. Good luck with the recovery.

Gregg
27th Sep 2016, 15:02
Nick- Glad to hear you are doing well!

Devil 49
27th Sep 2016, 15:25
Glad you're doing well and looking forward to retirement.
Guess nobody's getting your boots, Nick. (Maybe it was only my company that initiated FNGs with that question...?)

Colonal Mustard
27th Sep 2016, 18:45
Whilst I don't know Nick directly.... I must say that all of nick's posts are thought out, considered and extremely well written and focused on a technical level.

It is so ironic that out of all of us members that Nick yet again leads the way with technology and is one of the first to have an Internet of Things (IoT) healthcare device implanted.

I will chuckle intently when he decides (in a couple of weeks no doubt) to publish a list of experiments he will have conducted on himself to see how the device works and understand it's "flight envelope"..... just make sure you don't turn the darn thing off...:=

Speedy recovery :ok:

Thomas coupling
27th Sep 2016, 22:44
A little angel was sitting next to you that day Nick. They did what they were paid to do and saved you for another time so that we could benefit from your wisdom for a wee while longer!
Rest and recuperate and enjoy being looked after by your family old boy.

Best wishes

TeeS
27th Sep 2016, 22:58
That's the age we live in!! "It seems to have stopped working - oh bugger - try switching it off and back on - that seems to have worked - right where was I? Ah yes Psalm 23; The Lord is my......"

Bloody good to hear you are recovering well Nick.

TeeS

Arm out the window
28th Sep 2016, 02:32
Great to hear you're well and feeling good, Nick! There may be something to this church business after all ...

rancid
28th Sep 2016, 05:05
Get well legend!

Droop Snoot
28th Sep 2016, 22:07
Medical or no medical, I'd still rather have Nick in the right seat than A. Tony Moss!