PDA

View Full Version : What are the hurdles in rebuilding and registering Annex 2 Bo105M/P's in UK?

WillyPete
16th Sep 2016, 20:10
Frequently seeing many European 105's sent for auction as they are replacing the fleets with newer airframes.

Are these viable for UK and other pilots?
Or are the maintenance issues too great for private and corporate ownership?

Is it really difficult getting them airworthy again?

I would have assumed they'd be a good purchase for an operator looking for well-maintained aircraft, or someone looking to retain a piece of aviation history.

Could an ex-Bundeswehr aircraft be registered in UK and later used for flights to the continent?

md 600 driver
16th Sep 2016, 21:02
Edited
Original question changed

ericferret
17th Sep 2016, 09:29
Lots of civil aircraft on the market so why go to the trouble.

Unlikely to be allowed commercial use, would probably fall into the same category as the ex military Gazelles.

Parts are not cheap and repair/overhaul costs for the main gearbox and the hydraulic pack will make your eyes water.

WillyPete
17th Sep 2016, 17:49
Thanks Eric.
I was wondering why we didn't see more in private hands, considering the number being decommissioned from military service.

Chris P Bacon
18th Sep 2016, 20:34
The German military machines had Rolls Royce M250 engines built under licence by MTU in Germany. These engines cannot be supported and need to be replaced. A big expense on an old twin. .

WillyPete
19th Sep 2016, 10:22
Thanks Chris.
I would have thought the Allison C20B was widely supported, due to its popularity.
So then in all likelihood, the decommissioned aircraft are more valuable for parts for the HEMS industry.

ericferret
19th Sep 2016, 14:53
I think the point CPB is making is that these engines are most probably not civil certified. Same issue with the version of the Astazou used in the UK military version of the Gazelle.

MichiScholz
19th Sep 2016, 15:34
Hi WillyPete,

it is much easier and cheaper to register an civil registerd maschine. If you are interested is a CBS-4 maybe I can bring you in contact. PM if you have a serious interest.

lowfat
19th Sep 2016, 21:26
You cant even use them for parts being x mil

krypton_john
19th Sep 2016, 22:37
What about for private ownership on "permit to fly" or whatever is applicable up there? In that case are the parts not only usable but interchangeable?

There certainly are some B0105s and OH-58A's and AB206Bs flying around here privately.

WillyPete
20th Sep 2016, 18:21
You cant even use them for parts being x mil
I didn't know that lowfat. Why is that?
How would an engine from an ex-mil aircraft be different from the one in the civvy version?

Bravo73
21st Sep 2016, 06:46
Certification.

ericferret
21st Sep 2016, 08:51
As an example the FAA recently grounded a number of Alouette 2. The aircraft came off the same production line to the same standard as civilian aircraft but as they were not released for civilian use the FAA grounded them.

Military operators do not always repair airframes and engines to civil standards. An example being the Allison engines used by the Danish Army, they were banned in the UK for this reason.

The Americans used the break out program where components were made by alternative manufacturers as the DOD had "bought" the drawings with the aircraft.
Therefore no certification whatsoever. So ineligable for use in certified aircraft.

Bell got an FAA fine of $100000 per aircraft for Bell 205 manufactured with rivets specified for military versions of the aircraft.

Times have changed, when the army disposed of the Sioux the majority went into civilian commercial use with the spares. Westland only produced the G3B1 version of the Bell 47 for military use. One aircraft was built up from spares after a cabin was found at the bottom of a packing case with the Form 700 on top of it. However that was 40 years ago!!!!