PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 JAR Medical following MI

HopefulCelticFlyer
14th Sep 2016, 06:21
Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to the forum, and almost equally as new to my new home in Ireland.

3 years ago, shortly after undergoing my Class 1 Medical renewal in South Africa, I suffered a mild heart attack which, as confirmed by three cardiologists, left no lasting damage to my heart.

However, it obviously put paid to my career at that point, as I was only a freelance flight instructor at the time.

I since moved on through necessity, and have also recently relocated to Ireland with my wife.

Before the heart attack, I had a South African Commercial Pilots License, Multi-engine Instrument Rating, Grade III Flight Instructor Rating, Class 1 Medical with no limitations, and around 450hrs TT.

A couple of days ago, I flew on an Aer Lingus Regional AT76, absolutely loved it, and realized I am truly missing out on my calling, and should do whatever necessary to get back into aviation.

I know there is documentation out there that goes over the requirements for medical fitness etc., but most of it seems too vague for me to actually decide if I should proceed further or not.

Is there anyone here who has gone through something similar, who can shed some light on it?

My goal would be to proceed into a multi-crew environment ASAP after all relevant conversions, exams and flight tests.

Should I not be able to attain a Class 1, is there a demand for ground-based only instructors for sim instruction in Ireland? I would love to be involved with instruction in some way, should my goal of getting into an airline not be possible.

I am really desperate to get things going, but I would love to hear what everyone has to say about it before I get my hopes up too much.

Thanks in advance!

Krueger
15th Sep 2016, 16:04
I also had a MI five years ago. After 9 months I was able to recover my EASA Class I medical with a TML and OML limitations.

Since then I had several offers to work abroad (outside Europe) and found out that for new applicants of a Class I medical having a previous MI is an immediate denial.

So, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news...:(