PDA

View Full Version : Garmin File for London Helicopter Routes

RMK
10th Sep 2016, 09:34
I’ve just purchased a Garmin Aera 660 and setting up all my routes/waypoints. I was previously using a Garmin 496 and had a file for the London Helicopter Routes, however the file structure is different on the new units, so I cannot just copy it. Would anyone know where I could find a “London Helicopter Routes” file or download?

All the HeliRoute reporting points are already in the new 660 via my chart/map updates, but of course the HeliRoutes are not straight lines between these points.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

hueyracer
10th Sep 2016, 14:27
If you know what file is required for the new device (gpx?), you might find a website where you can just convert it...

Otherwise google earth is a powerful tool...maybe you can upload the helicopter routes there, and download them onto the new device?

RMK
10th Sep 2016, 16:44
The old files are .GDB and it seems the new unit likes .GPX files. I'm playing around with them (with Garmin BaseCamp), but no joy with the new 660 unit yet.

Of course can call Garmin support, but as it's Saturday will have to wait until Monday - then busy in the office and not able to play with my toys.

hueyracer
10th Sep 2016, 17:44
If you get it into base camp, you can export it...then convert it on pages like this one:

Convert | GPSies (http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do?language=en&client=summit)

RMK
13th Sep 2016, 09:55
Thanks for the above advice; I have the HeliRoutes working/displaying on the unit now.

The solution was to send the files via Garmin BaseMap to the unit (not unit card, as it give two options). Then you go into Tools/Tracklog and then tick “show on map” for each route you transferred to the unit. After restarting the unit, the HeliRoutes (or whatever routes you transferred) will now show on your map.