PDA

View Full Version : Bmi issues - class one

Boots098
2nd Sep 2016, 16:50
Hi,
I'm soon going for my class one medical for my flight training however i weigh 112 kg and am 190 cm tall, you may think im really fat and meanwhile, yes i could drop some fat, i also go to the gym a lot so a lot of it is muscle, even my friends say they look at me and dont see me as obese (which is what my bmi would suggest) so my question is, do the medical people just look at your mass or is your shape (e.g. Muscular too) taken into account?
Thanks

Ollie Onion
9th Sep 2016, 09:54
You won't have an issue, 35 is the BMI for initial class one issue, if you are above this then you may have to have supporting tests such as glucose resistance, sleep study etc. Your BMI would be around the 31 mark so don't sweat it, you may get a talk about trying to lose a few pounds but you won't be prevented from getting a medical.

FGE319
9th Sep 2016, 22:14
I'm slightly shorter and weigh about the same, and haven't had an issue with class 1.

In fact, last time I went in for a medical, was told I'm a bit overweight, but otherwise fine.

I believe as Ollie has said, 35 is the limit for first issue, and you are under that.