PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Eye examination results - do they check out?

TBR
1st Sep 2016, 23:23
Hello PPRuNe,

I hope somebody here can help me. I've recently attended an event at the CTC Aviation headquarters in Southampton, UK that informed me of a rather amazing pathway I can take to become a commercial airline pilot. I am very interested in this, however there are a few things I need to get out of the way first.

In order to even attend selection day for trainee pilots, I of course need to complete a medical test, which requires me to have an up to date prescription for my eyesight. I had an eye test on the 20th August, and had the regular vision tests, along with a colour test because of my unfortunate recent discovery that I had colour blindness. My eyesight hasn't always been the best, I had glasses for reading back in 2005, and have had to wear glasses all the time since 2008 (I am currently 19 years old)

Here are the results from my eye examination report:

1. Unaided Visual Acuity: Right 6/60, Left 6/60 and both eyes 6/38
2. Aided Visual Acuity: Right 6/5, Left 6/5 and both eyes 6/5
3. Visual Fields were Full
4. Colour vision test with "ISHIHARA" showed you were mildly Red-Green colour deficient (Correctly identified 17 out of 26 plates). City University colour vision test also confirmed that you were mildly Red-Green colour deficient (score 8/10).
5. Your intra-ocular pressures were within normal limits
6. Your ocular media, optic discs and general fundi were unremarkable.

Would anyone be able to tell me if there are certain aspects of this prescription that are definite nos? Things that I would be classed as unfit for? I thought I would post on here, as I've looked online and I've read mixed things about what people would allow. I know it probably depends greatly on the airline, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would rather know sooner than later, so that if I am definitely unfit for flying, I won't have to pay for a medical test and I can make other plans sooner.

Thank you!

cavortingcheetah
2nd Sep 2016, 14:37
You need to become fairly fluent in surfing the CAA's own website information. Here's a link to a page on color vision acuity. You'll be needing a Class I medical in order to become an Airline Transport Pilot and it's a very good idea to determine your fitness for that before you spend a sous or sol on training.
https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Colour-vision-guidance-material-GM/
You'll see that the Ishihara test is specifically dealt with. From this link you can probably determine sufficient information in order to, I hope, reassure yourself.
Pretty soon now there won't be a color vision test anyway. Someone is sure to complain that it's a test founded upon racist principles that no longer have any place in a decent multi racial Anglo Saxon society.
Subject to qualification from others but it's been my experience that a Class I medical has always been accepted by any airline for which I have interviewed. There might be a couple of unmentionable operators, whose names cannot here be whispered, who have their own medical standards but then, from what I hear, most non lunatic people wouldn't fly for them anyway, even if you were called Jeremy.

Good luck in your venture.