PDA

View Full Version : University Air Squadrons

G-BPEC
22nd Nov 2001, 12:15
Can anyone tell me what the University Air Squadron is all about? I have an eventual aim (like so many others) to become a commercial pilot, and after I've done my A-levels I hope to go to university. I've heard UAS'S are RAF orientated, but that the flying experience it gives you is fantastic. Can anyone give me any more information about the UAS's and which universities operate them? Do you gain any flying qualification at the end of it? How much time does it take up?
Thanks
G-BPEC

flyingwelshman
22nd Nov 2001, 12:38
UAS's are EXCELLENT.... and if you get the chance then join one.

I used to be UWAS (and before any BUAS guys but in - we are the best!)

Yes, it can and will tak eup a lot of your time. You will find that you spend less time with your direct uni mates and more time with y our UAS ones, either socially or in the mess or everyday flying.

UAS provides you with the oppertunity to fly ALL the time, with good instructors at no cost to you. (I was goging to say the sircraft are excellent too - but now that they have the grob....... :))

As for the RAF orrientation: Yes, very much so! UAS's are to be found on RAF bases, and are run by the RAF. While on the squodron you are an Officer Cadet. This means you have alot of the privallages of an officer, BUT, you are the lowest on the scale.

Most univeristys are attched to one, but you may need to travel. For instance if you are at Bangor you actullay have to travel to UWAS which is in Cardiff (even though Woodvale is closer!!!). Most of the UAS's are on the web, or just contact the RAF Carrers for more info, or email me!

UAS's provide great opputuinties foer other stuff as well, with cources in paracuting to canoeing and social events to surpass anything that my uni mates came up with.

If you can - go for it!

FW

Lucifer
22nd Nov 2001, 13:47
Take a look at http://www.durham.ac.uk/nuas There are full details and links to every UAS in the country.

They are to train RAF motivated and sponsored pilots up to the end of elementary flying training, so take a look and you may actually want to join the RAF in the end, otherwise a good experience, but it is not right to go in the door thinking that you are going to use it to get hours. Go in with an open mind that you want to find out about the RAF.

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: Lucifer ]

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Nov 2001, 14:34
Flying Welshman - no its not a cover identity of mine - I have to correct you slightly.

As Forum Moderator I feel it is my duty to point out that, in fact, UBAS was the best UAS. For having a HQ that had over 300 Balti houses and at least 30 night clubs all within 2 miles if for nothing else. Now as I remember UWAS was...

:D

pugzi
22nd Nov 2001, 20:43
You're all wrong

SUAS was and is the best.
Highest unbeaten record for Ten Tors and well, we can fly, but, at least we ran before we flew.
I must admit Woodvale was a laugh when we went there for a summer camp.
Look under the ops desk and you might find a few hellos and other such graffity.

Ta ta.
:D :D

Mr B. Tupp
22nd Nov 2001, 21:01
All you poor misinformed people...

UGSAS was the best UAS, usually won the aeros at the scone trophy in the days of the "Silver Fox".

Ahhh to be young again.....

scroggs
23rd Nov 2001, 01:54
As an ex-CFI I can authoritatively state that Yorkshire UAS was by far and away the best in the late '80s, early '90s. Not only could we fly (and drink) the pants off any other UAS, we could spell as well ;)

Tonkenna
23rd Nov 2001, 02:35
Off course you are all talking cr@p.

The UASs are RAF units and, although you do not have to join, you will have to have some military interest. You can put the flying towards a PPL, although the flying is better than you would get on a PPL course (aeros, low level, formation).

You should look into a Uni's that have UASs and once in apply to join at the freshers fair. I would suggest a Uni in Aberdeen, St Andrews or Dundee if you want to join the best UAS :)

Tonks :D

goldcup
23rd Nov 2001, 20:05
Nonono!

Tonks, you of all peope should know better. ADStAUAS are close to the best UAS. Very close. Indeed they share the same building at Leuchars. Yup, ELUAS are and always will be Top Dog.

As for YUAS Scroggs- the bunch of big girls' blouses who cried foul after 4 weeks of Scottish occupation in '96 aren't even in the top 10 UAS'.

Sean Dell
24th Nov 2001, 15:01
I seem to remember YUAS spanking the @sses of everyone in the Feranti competition year after year. Oh and you were all lightweights in the bar too! Particularly AdStAUAS!

whinger
26th Nov 2001, 02:43
Perhaps i ought to point out that if you don't know what the UAS system is all about, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to get in, especially if you have no intention of joining the RAF.

Yes, it is as good as everybody else says, but clearly all the clever, talented (and dare i say it, good-looking) people went to NUAS, the ONLY real UAS - accept no substitute!

However, unless you really want a military career, then assuming you can even pass the entry criteria, i hope they winkle you out at interview. the RAF is short enough of funds as it is without having to pay for free-loaders like you who just want a cheap way to hour building.

Go find another way to get your licence, like working for a living, and good luck when you do.

No offence intended, but i don't like to see anybody abusing the UAS system. DW :mad:

Guy Bowen
26th Nov 2001, 04:53
UAS flying is fantastic, there is nowhere else where a bloke/girl of 18> could be taught aeros, instrument flying, low level nav, formation in the space of two years. So I thoroughly recommend it.

But be aware there is a flip side to the coin.....This is not just a friendly flying club. The flying is deeply competitve which while it can push you to become a better pilot it can also force many potentially good pilots to leave. During my time on the UAS a course of 26 pilots was widdled down to just 6...so there is no guarantee. It can be a bitchy environment where if you do not tow the line, laugh and the right jokes and be seen in the right places it might seriously affect your future despite the fact if you are the dogs b*******s at flying. Many of my friends left of there own accord in the first year and were quickly snapped up by BA in better times.

This is another area where UAS flying will certainly help. I had to leave my UAS in my third year due to an eyesight problem, despite being thoroughly gutted having almost finished EFT the military hours in my logbook have proved invaluable. As the general theory is that if you can fly for the RAF then your not going too be bad.

So overall G-BPEC, go for it but take in to account it is not a small committment.

SUAS is the best UAS.

Monkey See Monkey Do
26th Nov 2001, 05:13
Hi G-BPEC,
UAS was one of the best (if not the best) times of my life. The things that I have done as a member will stay with me forever. Its a great achievment to get to be a part of one, and its extremely hard work to stay a member.

It takes up a lot (if not all) of your social time, and maybe a bit of your course time too if your not very organised. But as a pilot the rewards a well worth it (formation flying with instructors, aeros, trips in fast jets etc etc)

Its best to join only if you want to see what being a fighter pilot is all about at the very least. And at least if you dont get it you would have had a complete medical and aptitude test for future reference.
Still you will need to know a bit about current affairs and the RAF to get through the grueling interview.

Strictly you don't get a Private Pilots Licence issued by the UAS, but I understand that you can use the hours you fly to obtain one. Military flying and Civilian Flying are completely different (Civvi flying is generally gash, while Military seemed to me to be very safety conscious - unless you're the boss!)

e-mail me if you want more info,
MSMD
P.S. As WWW says, UBAS ARE THE GREATEST!! :p
P.P.S Ok, so I forgot to mention that the pencilpushers moved the HQ in 99 to somewhere less likely to divert our attention from RAF matters :mad: .. its still the best.

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: MonkeySee MonkeyDo ]

ScottishSteve
26th Nov 2001, 18:03
UAS...i haven't been in mine very long, however be warned!!! MEMBERSHIP OF A UAS COMPELS YOU TO JOIN UP T'RAF

Good luck mate.

Steve

Al Titude
26th Nov 2001, 20:11
Steve

Wasn't aware that membership of a UAS compels you to join the RAF!

It does encourage the Air Force as a career path, although most joining as pilots need little persuasion to try for OASC.

By the way, SUAS are definately the best UAS. No mincing around in portakabins and crappy grass covered runways.

Edited to remove curry inaccuracies, many thanks to Lucifer!

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Al Titude ]

ScottishSteve
26th Nov 2001, 20:56
Al,

I just checked the meaning of the word "compel"...This wasnt the word i thought it was.

Your post is what I meant. Pilot in UAS=Not much arm-twisitng required to go knocking on Cranwell's door.

of course this is personal opinion.

Thank you,

Steve

Lucifer
26th Nov 2001, 21:04
AlTitude: you are getting BUAS and UBAS confused! Amend your post before www gets insulted...

Init4theCheapFlights
26th Nov 2001, 22:07
UAS's??? As Jim Royle would say - my a##e. I spent my university days how they should be spent: mainly down the boozer, watching plenty of daytime TV, and certainly not wasting every weekend polishing shoes, ironing shirts, and wearing white flying gloves. What a waste of time.

If you want to fly fast jets for a living and risk your life every day for a Labour government that sold us all out, and have no quarms about killing innocent people, then fair play, join the RAF. If you want to sit on your rosy a##e, spend lots of time in Barbados, and get ridiculous amounts of time off, then join the airlines. But don't do UAS, which is a complete waste of the best three years of your life.

I now work as a BA 757 FO, and my uni days were perfect preparation for sitting around doing ****** all planning my next holiday. The only difference is, I used to watch Anne and Nick, now it's Bargain Hunt and No win, No fee.

The UAS won't improve your chances of getting sponsored. On my course of 16 at Oxford, 2 were ex-UAS, but 6 had less than 2 hours, which they only got between the aptitude tests and interview just to make them look keen.

Commercial flying: It's an good job, but an even better lifestyle.

beast
26th Nov 2001, 22:56
Init4theCheapFlights:

Oh dear, didn't get in then mate? Good to see you're like de Murphy's about it....

I don't think I polished my shoes more than a couple of times when I was in. Flying boots when they needed it. Shirts ironed? About 10 times max. Leather flying gloves are useful in case a nasty cockpit fire tries to burn one's handies.

In case anyone gets the wrong impression, the UAS is not the air cadets. No square bashing, no bull****. What you do get, however, is aero's, low-level and formation flying to solo standard.

None of which Init4theCheapFlights here did on his/her BA cadetship. I'm sure he/she had fun watching Richard and Judy though.

If you are interested in the RAF, it's the best possible use of your time. And the best hope for getting your bum in the hot seat of a fast jet. I wouldn't have changed my time in the UAS for the world.

Hi to any other ex-UGSAS folk out there. ( The finest UAS :D )

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: beast ]

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Nov 2001, 23:49
Lucifer - rest assured I have already taken great umbrage and will think of a suitable punishment in due course.

Al Titude
27th Nov 2001, 00:40
in4thecheap...

You sound like an absolute w****r!! How does a professional pilot have such an ill informed opinion of the UAS? Without a doubt it provides exceptional flying training and a fantastic social life. Awesome happy hours, great parties and annual ski trips.

Never once did I polish any shoes on the weekend, and all the flying was done from Boscombe mid week leaving the w/e for heroic student activities!

Remember that comments like yours might be taken to heart by some interested in a career in the RAF. You never know, your ill informed rubbish might convince someone not to fill out that OASC application form.

Your ideal lifestyle sounds very like that of Jim Royle's! What a great advert you are for BA - you must be a great companion on a bucket and spade brigade red eye to Malaga.

If you want awesome flying and a great social life then join the UAS, it was grrrreeeat!

(Rant over)
:cool: :cool:

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Al Titude ]

Bervie
27th Nov 2001, 00:46
InIt4TheCheapFlights - What got you scrubbed then, aptitude or medical!

Get a grip. UAS bars are the cheapest and best way to get lashed for as cheap as possible if your a student. The social life on a squadron can make a lifeless uni/degree far more interesting; and I havent even started on the flying side of it yet!

You clearly know nothing about either the UAS or the RAF if you think that all the pilots and student pilots polish their shoes and iron creases in their flying suits of an evening.
Of course you could be jealous that they are pulling all the girls whilst you are ironing your nice short sleeved white shirt or polishing your stripe.

As for RAF FJ pilots killing innocent civilians, I dont beleive I have ever read a more Bull**** comment in my entire time on PPRune. Why dont you take your time doing crap all on the jolly to Barbados thinking about the guys working their arse off in ****holes overseas doing a REAL job. Maybe then your impotent opinion might hold some sort of credibility.

For those that are interested in the UAS system, make up your own opinion. Its for some and not for others but dont listen to uninformed views from complete wannabe never succeeded types like InIt4TheCheapFlights!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Bervie ]

Trust Kermit
27th Nov 2001, 03:46
I totally agree with the last post.

The last thing we need on this thread is ill-informed chat from people who are obviously bitter about being turned down by the RAF.

It's a shame that someone who has been knocked back has to be so bitter against the RAF because it blatantly appealed enough for them to apply in the first place.

Anyone keen on joining a UAS - Get some decent info from http://www.dur.ac.uk/nuas

Anyone refused - Find another job and stop whinging!

Anyone flying BA - Hope you don't get stuck next to Bitter boy! FO's need not worry...this guy will never make captain!

Gripe over

TK

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: Trust Kermit ]

Alf Aworna
27th Nov 2001, 05:12
Init, so you sat around and watched telly all day rather than join a UAS? - sucker, I envy your get up and go attitude, you must be a real laugh.

Never mind if you had joined you wouldn't have enjoyed the best social life in uni and all that free flying, money, fun, cheap beer etc etc. Don't remember ironing a shirt or bulling shoes either (UWAS).

Oh yes whilst we're on the subject the best is most definitely UWAS, any other Mumbles run veterans out there?

Spacer
27th Nov 2001, 18:17
Boys, boys, boys. I don't know how many of you have met Flipper or myself over the summer, but I think we both prove that there is ample room for the UAS and a "normal" student life down the bar. There also seems to be some confusion about who the best UAS is. Well, its the one that has won the Scone Trophy the most, and the one that also won the shooting over the summer at Bisley. :)
Oh, and ScottishSteve, would Flipper be your "mentor" by any chance? If so, see you Thursday at the Butchart.

Propellerhead
28th Nov 2001, 02:10
I couldn't possible comment on who the best UAS was, all I can say is that LUAS were DEFINITELY THE WORST! :D Shandy drinking poofters!!

As you can probably see, one of the best thing was the spirit of the UAS', and the absolute lack of any rivalry between Squadrons - hee hee.

Init4theCheapFlights - if you weren't in it, how can you comment? UAS may not help you get sponsored by BA, but it will with all the other sponsorships (Airlines that actually want to recruit Pilots who love flying and not BANKERS (with a dubya) who are in it for the money). Looked at a picture from my summer camp yesterday, and realised that 22 out of 33 of us were flying professionally (fairly evenly split between RAF and Airline).

You certainly didn't HAVE to join the RAF to be in the UAS when I was there, you can certianly get up to 2 years flying without going to Cranwell.

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: Propellerhead ]

Tonkenna
28th Nov 2001, 02:42
You get out of the UAS only as much as you put in. There is no requirement to join the RAF (unless you have a bursary) but we will, ofcourse, try and convince you if we think you would be suitable.

The UAS system is nothing like air cadets so you will do very little drill and such like (though there is a bit for Rememberance Day).

The flying and instruction is excellent, but, it is fairly hard work and we expect a high standard. We work hard and play hard. Yes, the bar is cheap, but that is not the only reason to try and join.

If you have a genuine interest in aviation, the RAF, and having a great time then give it a go, however, anyone wishing to will have to wait til next year as all recruiting is finished. Competition is tough and there are few places. Well done to all those who got in this year, no matter which UAS you joined. Enjoy the flying.

Init4theCheapFlights,

Ummmm........what can I say. Odd views for some one obviously interested in aviation. Still, your loss (and probably our gain).

Tonks

BEagle
28th Nov 2001, 03:00
Sadly even BA's selection processes occasionally fail, it would appear......

I concede that the UAS may not be everyone's cup of tea - but those who are accepted usually can't get enough of it! And it does beat the heck out of watching daytime TV.

Most of my students never ironed a shirt, cleaned their boots once a term, wore uniform once a year - but partied hard, drank their own body weight in beer, ate enough curry to keep the curry houses smiling, flew ragged circuits but reasonable aerobatics (except one who referred to that as 'aerobation'! You know who you are...), bounced eachother in the local area and thought we didn't know, chased the oppsite sex at each and every opportunity......

"Gosh, Babynigel, I did this really amazing ILS at Malaga last week. Almost as good as the one the previous week. And the one before that, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............."

Dukeyboy
28th Nov 2001, 03:21
Obviously none of you slacking student types have ever heard of direct entry then! No, honestly, UASs are a great (The best) way to get lots of flying experience, however, I'd say you are being very short-sighted if you plan to use them simply as an 'hour factory'. You must be willing, at least for the time you are on board, to undertake a military life-style, so either open your mind, and consider the Air Force as a possible career route (They're going to be paying for it, remember) or look elsewhere for a source of your civil hours. Remember, most hours spent with military instructors do NOT count on civvy tickets.

BEagle
28th Nov 2001, 10:15
Dukeyboy - see GID21V4 on the www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk) website and I think you'll find that UAS hours certainly do count towards JAR/FCL licences. But you're right - the UASs won't have much interest in an 'hours builder'!!

ScottishSteve
28th Nov 2001, 17:39
I know this board should be over with now that the original question was answered, however I feel that although I may be a young, naive student even I am lucky enough to be smarter than the prat that is 'CheapFlights'.

I always wanted to be CEP@BA (who doesnt when at school) however now I am in UAS, I feel a lot more open to the Idea of RAF then DEP...even RAF period! How you CheapFlights can say such guff i'll never understand. God help me if im ever stuck at your right hand side because CRM will go right out the window.

You have every right to come on here and say your piece, but you should realise that someone in the position I was not long ago might be reading this and (sadly) LISTEN to what you have to say...and ruin their dreams.

Just because you didn't get in don't be bitter all these years later. Prat.

ScottishSteve(not UAStSAS or whatever it is)

Muppetfly!
28th Nov 2001, 19:33
Easily the best thing I did at Uni. If you want to fly for a living in any capacity the UAS is the best (and certainly cheapest!) way to get experience.
Whether you join the RAF or not, the UAS is a certainly good introduction to the lifestyle. If you don't the experience certainly helps with commercial selection/sponsorship procedures. (It did with me: my interviewer was an ex-Navy helicopter pilot. We ended up talking about strip clubs, I kid you not!)

Along the way you might even have some fun, fantastic flying and some incredible experiences: Harrier GR7 simulator, Nimrod at 6000' over the English channel and Hawk back-seat rides. Beats Richard and Judy in my book. Don't knock it till you try...

whinger
29th Nov 2001, 08:37
Clearly I must have had the best of both worlds - daytime TV AND flying (however it could also explain only 50 hours in 2 years). Oh well, s**t happens.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one trying to discourage hours builders from taking places on UAS's away from genuine applicants (like me!), but I would still rather sit next to one than "init". There was me thinking all the hot air on airliners came out of my @rse or the noisy bits under the wings!!! As for CRM - well "init" would be out of the window first!

Yes, the UAS is great - loads of beer (cheap), curry & pizza (also cheap), good looking birds (even better if they are cheap too) and tons of flying (FREEEE!!!!!). Do not confuse with the pointless existence ot the ATC, as a punch on the nose often offends. It is perfectly possible to have a great Uni social life AND a great time in the UAS - clearly the reason why NUAS really is the greatest UAS. The only dull bit, and not everybody's cup of tea, is the formal stuff, but if you want to join the RAF and fly real aeroplanes then you must suffer some hardship in the process. RAF life too can be rather dull at times - it's not all tea and medals you know! However, the formal dining in nights can be a hoot (I know ours are), FREE beer and plenty of good looking birds to chase so long as your mates back is turned (if you know what I mean).

If you can handle strapping on a GR7 every day and being paid for the privelige, then sign up now! If not, well I'm sure "init" is a real joy to work with. :p

Enjoy and have a nice life. ;)

Re-Heat
29th Nov 2001, 23:45
Well they are only good looking when you are pissed at the annual dinner AND your mate isn't looking to give you banter about it for the next ten years!

I'd like to echo what Drippy says about people joining to build hours: you will be VERY disappointed as you will be found out by the staff, and not really enjoy the time you are there. Military flying needs commitment and interest to succeed, not a fake interest to get hours. The resources are scare enough for those of us who are trying to find out about RAF life genuinely: in my case having been exposed to BA my whole life I wanted to see what it was about and have done 2 years and not carried on so I can focus my energy on my final year and possibly apply in the New Year, having seen what life is like.

Init: a quarter of your colleagues (approx) are ex-military or UAS and I'm sure you'll be popular downroute if you say that to their faces. This may be anonymous, but if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, it isn't worth saying at all. I doubt even with the load factors your staff travel gets you to Barbados often, and 75s certainly don't go there. In fact about 80% of the most recent BA TEP courses I've seen have been ex-UAS and I've come across many when winging my way around the globe.

NUAS is the only UAS worth joining.
Yes I know I've blown my cover...

calltheball
30th Nov 2001, 03:23
Propellerhead -An ex-MASUAS (you know the next three words..) student on-line???

...Was Star Trek not on??(tee-hee)

Think you'll find most LUAS students propping up a bar somewhere(drinking proper stuff) or chasing women (or both) and far too busy to reply. In fact only replying myself as I've just been kicked out of the pub. Nuff said....

Seriously, -Fantastic Flying, Great times with superb people. Worth having a go if you're considering the RAF.

Back to the beer.......

PS Everybody knows Liverpool UAS is truly the finest UAS in the land. I thankyou..

superfurryanimal
1st Dec 2001, 03:49
Init4, correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember in the recent past something in the news about a couple of 767/757 type aircraft killing some 5000 innocent people. Don't think the RAF (and especially not any UAS) achieving such remarkable figures since WWII. Hope to have the pleasure of your company at some point in the future to explain this face to face!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Gash Handlin
1st Dec 2001, 04:14
Mr B. Tupp,

UGSAS was most certainly NOT the best UAS the year they shared Woodvale with the mighty EMUAS, we out drank you in the bar at every happy hour and you even came to us for tips on organising youre moose party the second time round coz youre first one had been such a **** up :D

Dont know if you were about then but I wonder if any of your guys ever claimed their sporrans back from our crewroom at Newton :D

Can't comment on the current state of play with the plastic plane (no more grass airfields either :( ) but the key ingredients were and always will be fantastic FREE flying, excellent social life (in a cheap, not for profit bar) and mates youll have for life. What could be better?

p.s. was anyone out there at the DeHavilland competition at Cosford in 95 when the wx was shiite so we stacked to the bar and built a tower of beer barrels, lost all feeling in my left arm for 3 weeks after being on the bottom of the pyramid, wonderful days :D

FL390
1st Dec 2001, 16:56
I noticed on the Durham UAS that they say that perfect eyesight is required....Iam in my first year of Sixth Form and am looking at universities to join etc.

As you may have guessed, I don't have perfect eyesight, unless I wear glasses. I hae flown in the Grobs shown on the website with my RAF cadets at school and was wondering if they accept aplicants, like myself, who don't have "perfect eyesight".

Can someone please give me abit of info on that please??

Trust Kermit
2nd Dec 2001, 18:30
FL 390

The eyesight regulations are a much talked about topic within the RAF and indeed the UAS.

You mention wearing glasses. Looking at past applicants I know of I'd say there isn't really much chance of being accepted by the RAF as a pilot. :(

I don't think you have to have "perfect" vision but I do know they are very strict with the medical guidelines.

You might want to contact OASC for a better answer.

TK

Dusty_B
2nd Dec 2001, 19:53
I managed to knock up just under 100hrs while on the Premier Air Squadron, graduating a couple of years ago. This summer, I got my arse (and wallet) into gear to get my PPL(A) sorted.
The new CAA/JAA regulations allow all military flying to count, hour for hour (+5%), towards a JAR-FCL.
Despite this, it still took me a further 15hrs at Oxford's PFT...
About 3 hours were spent converting to the T67, learning checks/upper-air work/civie circuits; 2 hours on Nav Revision; a further 2 hours on a Cross-Country check ride, 3 hours solo doing the Qualifying Cross Country, and 2 hours on the Skills test. Between all that was the odd solo flight, and a couple of wx-aborted cross country attempts (the arse being that I could have completed both of them with my PIFG).
You see, the JAR requirements are for you to have flown a xc flight over a certain distance, landing at two separate airfields before returning home. In the UAS, we were lucky to get a single land-away, let alone a double - hence I had to pay for the lot in civie street. :mad:
Now, if you already have a PPL, the UAS is NOT a good place for hours building: Very little of the course is as Captain. I had 87hrs dual, and just 11.5 hours P1.

Tonkenna
2nd Dec 2001, 21:10
:confused: But Dusty, it only cost you 15 hrs worth of flying (and I know chaps who did it in alot less). Surely that is better than 50 hrs or so at your own expense. Don't be so bl00dy ungrateful!!

Tonks

ScottishSteve
2nd Dec 2001, 23:23
"In the UAS, we were lucky to get a single land-away, let alone a double - hence I had to pay for the lot in civie street."

The UAS is NOT a place to get a free PPL. It IS a great place to socialise, gives you a chance to weigh up RAFvCivvie life, lets you do what you love most (be it fly (hopefully), drink, or chase the fairer sex),and see a bit of the UK/World that you might not see otherwise.

I am sorry a person like you made it in to the UAS, and hope none of my fellow OffCads have your idea, as they (like you did it seems) are taking up a valuable place that I'm sure some of the PMU would kill for. It wouldnt be so bad but you used :mad: as if you were ENTITLED to a PPL!

Backing you up Tonks on the "who did it in less", a couple of our senior students GAINED the PPL(A) after just a few more exams.

On the eyesight issue...I found that you can need glasses after getting in but its a non-starter if you already have bad eyesight when joining. However not all allergies deem you P/TMU, like mine (cats) I think this is because there isnt a lot of pussy(cat) in FastJets!

Steve

Dusty_B
23rd Apr 2002, 01:03
Sorry for bringing this one back to the fore after so long, but I haven't been around for ages, and feel I must defend my honour!!

To Tonks, I'm most certainly not ungrateful for the 100 wonderful hours the Queen gave me.
To Steve, I didn't join the Squadron to get a PPL - I walked out of IOT with my head held high, a tear in my eye, and my knees in ruins.

My post was just saying what service flying hours pre-FHT and EFT Groundschool can translate to with JAR. It says that, even with twice as much experience than needed for a PPL, you don't get one automatically. It also says that if you are joining to free load and hour build post PPL, it's pointless because most of it is dual.

Perhaps my :mad: should have been a :rolleyes: .

Indeed, if I hadn't left it two years, I would have been able to complete the PPL in less time too. Let that be a warning to any UAS Studes out there: You might not need a PPL now, but you never know what is round the corner.

BEagle
23rd Apr 2002, 04:48
If you look at the CAA website and hunt out GID 21 version 5, you'll find that the PPL accreditation criteria for UAS, but more specifically for JFTS/EFTS courses are much better than they were....

Any UAS member needing 'conversion' training to PPL level should try contacting their nearest RAF Flying Club Association (RAFFCA) Club. Under GAI 5070 para 8 e, 'Members of the University Air Squadrons, the Air Training Corps and the Air Section of the Combined Cadet Force' are entitled to be Full Members of a RAFFCA Flying Club. These are rather cheaper to fly at than many civil organisations - e.g. £61 per (log book) hour including FI and fuel for a VOR/NDB/ILS/DME/GPS-equipped Cherokee 140 at a certain club of my acquaintance......

fly-half
23rd Apr 2002, 09:25
Getting back to the original question about the possibility of joining a UAS, to anyone who is thinking of getting into one:

- if you are intent on joining the RAF then great! Good luck in the selection process when you arrive at Uni. Find the recruitment stand at the Freshers Fair and away you go! If you get in, kiss all the flying instructors' asses like there's no tomorrow and back-stab your colleagues when you're buying the Squadron Leader a drink at happy hour in the Officers' Mess. Don't think they'll be sympathetic to the needs of your course at University - they'll expect you to be at the base most of the time, certainly as much as a colleague doing a mickey-mouse course for 2 hours a week!

- if you're hoping to just hour-build and eventually get into commercial aviation, lie lie lie in the selection interviews that the RAF is your lifetime ambition! Blah RAF blah RAF blah RAF - you get it. If you get in, have a lot of fun but beware of the constant threat of being chopped (hence the ass-kissing and back-stabbing describ above). Another thing you have to do is always say you want to go fast-jet as the RAF streams everyone at the beginning for that. You can't talk about flying helicopters or Tri-Stars in your selection interview - Tornados are the bees knees!

Once you've got your hours and have left Uni, take your chances in obtaining sponsorship (in a couple of years by the time you finish Uni?). If you can get the money straight away then that's a huge bonus.

As far as I know, there are now only 15 UASs (didn't Belfast Queens close about 5 years ago?) so make sure you find a Uni that has one.

I hope it all works out for you.

p.s. I was at Liverpool UAS and have mixed feelings about it. I had a great time getting 50 hours and went skiing and on summer camps amd had a very cheap bar on base. Just a shame about the w*****s! Now about to start at Oxford this Friday so it's still going to plan.

RIP Mike Murphy RIP Alison Arnold

BluffOldSeaDog
23rd Apr 2002, 15:43
Got to agree with calltheball - LUAS by a street. The Squadron that held the record for most Bases banned from, the Squadron that won the Reid Trophy more often than not, and the Squadron whose official drink (during my time) could be classed as a food group!! Only downside - Southport - Blackpool without the atmosphere and a lot more old fogies

Dusty_B
23rd Apr 2002, 15:48
"LUAS by a street. "

Arse Biscuits. Only reason you won the Reid Trophy was because you weren't good enough to compete for the DHT:p

Startup
23rd Apr 2002, 16:40
I'm with Mr Cheap Flights on this one. UASs... waste of time.

From someone who has been there, done it, found it was a waste of time, resigned and then got sponsored by one of the 'better' companies.

EvilThom
23rd Apr 2002, 23:12
I'd like to point out at this point that the only UAS worth considering is the oldest, Cambridge. I don;t even have to go to Cambridge to be a member (UEA) and get to have a load of Cambridge type fun in the process!

Thom

Altogether now...

Don't bend down when Oxford are around
or you'll get a w**** up your a***!

Dusty_B
24th Apr 2002, 08:18
As can only be expected, the filthy Tab is misguided and, to be quite frank, a Tab. And filthy.
The Premier Air Squadron wishes to point out that it has absolutely nothing to do with that small village establishment on the fens. Oxford UAS was conceived before CUAS, approved for formation before CUAS, and established before CUAS. CUAS, acutely aware that it really had nothing going for it, decided to have their first Town Night one week early just so that they could say they came before Oxford in something. Something the prostitutes of the Other Place will continue to confirm to this day. :D

Shoo the Tabs.

ps- CUAS haven't won a game of Rugby against OUAS in over 7 years. So afraid were they of loosing against us, that they refused to even form a team in 1999! They didn't even turn up to the Rugby 7s. :confused:

Rusty Cessna
24th Apr 2002, 13:44
Hiya folks,

all good reading! Just a quick question. I intend to apply to the UAS attached to my university, but I was thinking of writing a letter to the UAS to try and arrange a visit and maybe submit an application before freshers fair.

Is this possible, or should I just wait untill freshers fair? Also will the UAS still look at you if you have not been succesfull in an direct entry application to the RAF. My aim now is to go to UNI, hopefully get in the UAS and join up afterwards.

Many thanks for any advice.
Rusty.

Dusty_B
24th Apr 2002, 14:08
They can only say 'Yes' or 'No'. And even if they say no, the fact that you took the time out to write to them before hand will show that you are not just keen, but proactive too.

I wrote to ULAS during my A Levels, before applying for a Bursary, asking if I could visit, speak to the studes, and *fingers crossed* scrounge a flight (in the then Mighty Dog, before they were used on the AEF flights too).
They invited me to Benson for a nose round, and had a great time talking to the Cadets, and even ate in the Officers Mess. Despite not getting a flight, it was well worth the effort.

scroggs
25th Apr 2002, 10:08
Rusty Cessna

Your plan is a good one, although you are unlikely to be allowed to slap in a sneaky application before anyone else! In any case, selection for joining is by interview, not by application. Your previous failure at OASC is no bar to joining a UAS, and UAS experience will help you enormously in any future attemt to join the RAF.

To you others, UAS isn't for everyone. It certainly is not just a swept-up flying club, but a serious effort to educate people in the lifestyle of the RAF. There is a greater emphasis on recruiting for the Service than there used to be, but it isn't the be-all and end-all. However, if you have no interest in the military way of life, you won't be welcome and you will probably be 'found out', even if you bluff your way through the interview. No one likes to be taken for a ride, especially by arrogant idiots like one or two who have posted here.

And above all, as an ex-CFI I can categorically state that Yorkshire UAS is by far and away the best of all. Between 1987-91 we were never outdrunk and rarely outflown (and then only by those who'd wimped out of the drinking!). Not, of course, that alchohol plays a major part in a UAS's life. Oh, no. ;)

Rusty Cessna
25th Apr 2002, 14:21
Scroggs, thanks for the advice. I wasn't implying I was going to try and gain any advance on application above anyone else, as you say, its all done by interview, the plan was just to have a look around, show my face, and try to make it a little bit more apparent that this is a major determination of mine.

Thanks,
Rusty.

Megaton
25th Apr 2002, 14:33
What happended to the Navy then, RC? ;)