PDA

View Full Version : US Army 2-Star May Have Pension Cut Over Lifestyle Conduct Deemed Inappropriate

RAFEngO74to09
26th Aug 2016, 21:40
All over the main news channels today - not aviation related but US military discipline / pension related.

New details show how 'swinger' Army general's double life cost him his career (http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/391199572.xhtml)

"The Army hauled him back to Washington, reprimanded him based on an internal investigation and put him in a placeholder job awaiting retirement. A board will determine the rank he last served honorably. A demotion to colonel or lower would cost him tens of thousands of dollars a year."

Seems a bit harsh perhaps, in addition to removal from a prestigious post and forced retirement, but if you read the whole article it is evident an example is being made as it is the latest of several incidents involving stars.

West Coast
26th Aug 2016, 23:02
Right, wrong or rules in need of change is for others to determine, but he knew what was expected as far as personal conduct.

The Old Fat One
27th Aug 2016, 11:14
time for him to "lawyer up" methinks

MPN11
27th Aug 2016, 11:22
Interesting 'Hard Rules' but that's the way the grapefruit squirts in this case. Don't these people ever think beyond the end of their penis?

What a VERY silly Colonel/General :(

onetrack
27th Aug 2016, 12:47
It's not harsh - it seems pretty obvious he was greatly distracted too much of the time by sexual trysts, and he obviously heavily utilised military communications for a lot of them. The trysts no doubt impinged heavily on his work time and his ability to carry out his functions to his best ability.

If a man of his reputed talent reaches heights of leadership that means he must commit unswervingly to that job - then he must realise that that very senior job carries with it the need to show leadership and moral uprightness in everything he does. You lead by setting examples, and he didn't set a very good example.
The military would be rightly concerned about a very senior officer setting himself up nicely to be blackmailed.
However, I have little doubt he's not the first senior officer to lack discretion and moral fibre, and he won't be the last.

A and C
27th Aug 2016, 12:52
Your comments are exactly what was said twenty years ago about gays in the military, a persons sexual activitys ( with other consenting adults ) is their own business and prohibiting and punishing it is the security risk not the act its self.

Wander00
27th Aug 2016, 14:41
Imagine going to a swingers night and finding your boss is in the room.......scary

Union Jack
27th Aug 2016, 15:44
A board will determine the rank he last served honorably.

An intriguing modus operandi which might prove even more intriguing if stringently applied to all service personnel pre retirement....

Jack

airborne_artist
27th Aug 2016, 16:10
Imagine going to a swingers night and finding your boss is in the room.......scary

Far, far worse if you are a chap and your boss is a chapess ;)

glad rag
27th Aug 2016, 17:00
Lol a right bunch of four sided polygons you lot!

Canute
27th Aug 2016, 17:02
Imagine if they applied this sort of moral test to the UKs greatest military leader....

Where would we be now?

Melchett01
27th Aug 2016, 17:03
Your comments are exactly what was said twenty years ago about gays in the military, a persons sexual activitys ( with other consenting adults ) is their own business and prohibiting and punishing it is the security risk not the act its self.

Not sure where to start with that. Putting to one side what might be seen as questionable loyalty shown to his wife and family or the impact on his own credibility and effectiveness - he might have thought he was being discreet, but HQs are small organisations where rumours move fast - the notion of prohibiting and punishing a behaviour being the risk misses so many points.

I can't comment on how the US military does security reviews, but my last review finished off with a question that went along the lines of 'is there anything we haven't discussed you want to tell me that you'd be embarassed if it became public knowledge?' Unless his family and the military knew and sanctioned his behaviour, then it put him at serious risk of being compromised by any organisation threatening to reveal his behaviour. Even if his wife was content with his behaviour, how do you think his staff would feel if that's the example of leadership and moral standards being set for the organisation? What you do in the privacy of your marriage with your partner is your own business; when you stray out of those boundaries in a manner that transgresses your organisation's moral and security structures, don't be surprised if they throw the book at you if they find out.

Wander00
27th Aug 2016, 17:56
Canute - who did you have in mind? I can think of a few so buttoned up it is surprising they could breathe, others who put it about like rabbits in the spring

Trim Stab
27th Aug 2016, 18:02
Exactly as Melchett writes. If you accept the responsibility and benefits of promotion to his level to serve your country, then you also accept the sacrifices to the freedom of your personal life. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

If you want an example of how serious the consequences can be - read the history of TRIGON, a KGB officer who was blackmailed by the CIA because of a very minor heterosexual tryst in Columbia in the late 70s. He eventually committed suicide with a cyanide pill provide by the CIA. Admittedly the stakes are not so high currently as they were in the cold war - but they are certainly going back down that way - and who knows where they will end..

If you accept the promotion, pay and pension - wind your dick in....

Canute
27th Aug 2016, 18:31
There can be only one.....

BBC - History - British History in depth: Nelson and Lady Hamilton: A Very Public Affair (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/nelson_emma_01.shtml)

MPN11
27th Aug 2016, 18:41
Ah, Canute, but in those days having a mistress was SOP. I like to think morals have moved on, as have Security/blackmail considerations ;)

Wander00
27th Aug 2016, 19:32
Not so much putting it about, but a bit on the side.
I actually met the current Lord Nelson. Nice guy, who married the HoL Catering Manager. Lovely people

B Fraser
27th Aug 2016, 22:01
Let's think about a few former commanders in chief. Clinton and Kennedy for starters. Did they receive any sanctions ?

J Edgar Hoover was an interesting case too.

Two's in
29th Aug 2016, 15:42
Easy Melchett, applying the very basic tenets of leadership and command will make some of the others queasy.

/Regardless of the moral component of leadership being completely ignored, the obvious lack of critical thinking ability should put him on an Officer Cadet's pension rate.

MPN11
29th Aug 2016, 16:33
Neatly put, Two's In :ok:

My wife has been known to say "Is this wise?" ;)

ShyTorque
29th Aug 2016, 17:54
Far, far worse if you are a chap and your boss is a chapess ;)
You'd be obliged to stand to attention.....

Stanwell
29th Aug 2016, 22:54
Another angle on ShyTorque's one might be...
"Stand to attention when I'm speaking to you!"
It should be noted that it's a little difficult to speak when one's mouth is full.