PDA

View Full Version : EK Roster satisfaction

kcar
25th Aug 2016, 07:31
I'm asking this to B777 people in the top two bid groups for the September roster:
Did you get any of your preferences, that you can confirm was due bidding? (i.e asked for a specific destination and got two)

donpizmeov
25th Aug 2016, 07:43
I think the profit Jagger said it best "I cant get no satisfaction"

https://youtu.be/nrIPxlFzDi0

flyinthesky
25th Aug 2016, 07:54
2nd top bid - B777 FO. Pretty senior. Got the square root of cock all on either request or preferences.

A sensible email is being constructed to highlight the inadequacies and inequalities. Will it achieve anything? Of course not but it'll help me feel just a tad better!!!

Sheikh Your Bootie
25th Aug 2016, 08:16
Bizarrely enough Habibis, middle bid(yeah I know not top 2 bids) and I got for me at least almost a dream roster :ok: Lots of deadheading, 20 hours.. no turnarounds, 3 preferences I got awarded, not specific flights, 5 day block off as a preference :D:D

Not gloating, but am surprised for sure. :ugh:

SyB :zzz::zzz:

MMIDifferent
25th Aug 2016, 08:24
Habibis this is to keep you away from the young new GR2's who will do as I tell them, and stay away from your wealthy married cockpit.

lospilotos
25th Aug 2016, 09:18
Top bid, senior FO in my group. Had to use up all my 5 requests to secure a string of days off, of which I got three

Didn't get any of my preferences, basically quite the opposite..

speedbirdhopeful1
25th Aug 2016, 10:47
Please please email the bid guys then fleet. Every time I talk to them they don't seem to have many other complaints. I know it's because most of us have given up and know it will make no difference but it drives me mad when they say they didn't get many complaints and therefore it must be my incredibly high expectations of getting ANY generic layover preference in the US or EU that's the issue..
Bring back the old system, worked fine if you invested a bit of time to bid.

halas
25th Aug 2016, 12:28
Second bottom. Every preference for five of the same days off in every combination. Got it! Sweet.

Two day turns, one ULR, two augment plus 12 days off with three days reserve at the start.

halas

ps: This never happens!

Wizofoz
25th Aug 2016, 13:52
My September roster is VERY satisfactory......

lospilotos
25th Aug 2016, 14:02
My September roster is VERY satisfactory......

You are leaving?

Monarch Man
25th Aug 2016, 14:16
Bottom bid, bid for days off only, block of 6 days, couple of turns all day time and about 70hrs. :eek::hmm::eek: clearly the bidding system works (sarcasm)

SOPS
25th Aug 2016, 14:29
70 hours sounds good, Monarch.

Uplink
25th Aug 2016, 14:45
The profit Jagger also said "you can't always get what you want...but if you try sometime you find you get what you need"

By the way roster satisfaction is an Oxymoron !

Fire Ball XL5
25th Aug 2016, 16:25
Top Bid... got everything I asked for... next month... not so sure! :-(

Wizofoz
25th Aug 2016, 17:26
You are leaving? :ok::ok::ok::ok:

donpizmeov
25th Aug 2016, 21:06
All the best to ya Wiz.

The Range
25th Aug 2016, 21:50
Just curious. How can you guys keep putting up with all this crap.
Enough is enough. Or it should.

allaru
25th Aug 2016, 21:59
83hrs..got the string of 5 days off I asked for plus 3 of the 4 flights....and then the wake up call came for my next flight

Rotating Bacon
26th Aug 2016, 01:41
seriously, it got even worse since I left 3 months ago, just accept the fact that it will never get any better, they come up with all those rules to screw you, just move on

777boyindubai
26th Aug 2016, 10:39
Wiz, All the best to you and yours for the future!

Wizofoz
27th Aug 2016, 19:20
Cheers Guys

fliion
28th Aug 2016, 07:01
Wiz

Was a gentleman...

On here
In the sim
On the flight deck and
In the bar.

All the best to you.

Panther 88
28th Aug 2016, 09:46
Where are you heading, Wiz?

GMC1500
28th Aug 2016, 10:07
Capt, 2nd top bid, got two VIE layovers that I asked for.
Also the long MNL, which is now a three man crew, finally.
DAC layover, the day trip, which used to be a turnaround.
Have to give credit where credit is due, these are improvements.

kcar
28th Aug 2016, 15:16
They've disregarded the preferences for 777 FO. I've looked at other top bid guys that I know ask for a couple of destinations that's not particularly popular, destinations that you normally would end up with 2-3 per month in top and second top.
They got none.
A simple roster search shows that practically no destination has been given more than once to any FO.

donpizmeov
28th Aug 2016, 15:49
Are FOs allowed to bid?

halas
4th Sep 2016, 13:01
Fark! Just finished reserve. 105 unfactored hours in 30 days! Never normally do more than 65.
Anyone else in the the same boat?

Will be controlling this months hours more closely :E

halas

SOPS
4th Sep 2016, 13:14
105 hours on reserve. Short of crew? But on a serious note...105 hours the way EK operates can simply not be safe, or good for a pilots health.

adel
4th Sep 2016, 13:42
Oct bid closes on the 7th of Sept,
EK Schedule published on the 8th!!!
Go figure, instead of management extending bidding for atleast a few days longer to give us a chance to improve our life style, they just blatantly do whatever they want...
But again, weren't we recently reminded bidding is not contractual !!!!

motojet
4th Sep 2016, 13:50
Oct bid closes on the 7th of Sept,
EK Schedule published on the 8th!!!
Go figure, instead of management extending bidding for atleast a few days longer to give us a chance to improve our life style, they just blatantly do whatever they want...
But again, weren't we recently reminded bidding is not contractual !!!!
Not sure what you are looking at. Bidding closes on the 10th.

Big Coight
4th Sep 2016, 13:52
Question from an ousider, do A380 crew generally get a better roster than 777 crew?

BC.

Cloud Bunny
4th Sep 2016, 16:44
I think the swap freeze starts on the 7th.

adel
4th Sep 2016, 17:37
Cloud bunny,
Is absolutely correct, should read those operational notes more carefully, thanks

Kapitanleutnant
5th Sep 2016, 05:01
Adel....

It's ok... that stuff happens when you're fatigued out at 105 hours month after month.

K

moneyhoon
5th Sep 2016, 13:31
Regarding swap freeze. Does it start on the 07th or effectively earlier as I keep getting stuck on the 'Please wait validating business rules' page?

delorean79
22nd Sep 2016, 10:11
Will they press the button today?

Monarch Man
22nd Sep 2016, 10:28
Apparently, the answer is yes :cool:

littlejet
22nd Sep 2016, 11:32
did anyone here get more than 4 in a row by bid?

TCU LUX
22nd Sep 2016, 11:35
Max 2 days off in row.

It's absolutely horrendous on the 777.

:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

donpizmeov
22nd Sep 2016, 11:41
Passengers have been saying that for years :)

TCU LUX
22nd Sep 2016, 11:50
:ok: True

Seriously. I for one am starting to hate this job. Had much more fun in work & life flying 737 low cost - and never had this feeling of a zombie like existence.

palm
22nd Sep 2016, 11:57
Max 2 in a row for the entire month, this job is getting better and better...reality is far more horrible than forum's gossip. 13 years in this Cie and I just can't believe what we are accepting from this &é&§&@&§§§ management....the only good part of it is that I won't regret my very very soon resignation.....

bigdaviet
22nd Sep 2016, 12:08
So has anyone noticed an improvement? Quite a few schedules have been reduced in October so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect...

Monarch Man
22nd Sep 2016, 14:45
Read somewhere else that the 4th LGW has been binned, things must be pants if they are cancelling Londonistan flights, even if it is Gatport.

halas
22nd Sep 2016, 16:49
Middle bid 6 days off in a row.

90hrs :bored: but not bad trips, no ULR and only two turns that are not at night!

halas

Cloud Bunny
22nd Sep 2016, 18:09
Read somewhere else that the 4th LGW has been binned, things must be pants if they are cancelling Londonistan flights, even if it is Gatport.

Interesting, mate of mine has 3 of them of them on his roster (I bid like fury for it but obviously being top bid naturally I didn't get a sniff) however going on the EK booking site you can't book. It only shows the usual 3 flights. Has this been a very late decision to bin it??

alwayzinit
22nd Sep 2016, 19:09
Stunning rostering this month, augmenting prior to a long leave:ugh: Why not a handling trip? Just dumb IMHO.

DCS99
22nd Sep 2016, 20:37

These very late route cancellations will p**s off the small number of passengers who did book.
They expect a full-service airline to honour its schedule.

I know every airline has to cancel routes, but this year the short notice (eg. I think Panama was 2 weeks) will severely hack off the punters.

Look at the date on this

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/269004/emirates-shelves-planned-4th-daily-london-gatwick-flight-due-oct-2016/

And it's been available for Sale for months

http://www.theeksource.com/emirates-announce-4th-daily-london-gatwick-service/

Enough. Back to topic

Cloud Bunny
23rd Sep 2016, 04:22
Stunning rostering this month, augmenting prior to a long leave:ugh: Why not a handling trip? Just dumb IMHO.

Ha! I had that last year. Augmenting to Japan, 3 weeks leave, next 2 trips after leave augmenting Japan, augmenting MLE turn. Clueless. It was quite a funny conversation when I called to ask if they thought there might be any issues with this? "Ummmmm.....no Captain"
I left it to them and then the evening before the Japan trip after leave I get a call to tell me I'm now operating. Only took them the 3 weeks I was on leave to figure that one out. Surely with all the limitations built into the rostering system they could have included one about flight crew recency requirements.
Can't believe how late they have left it to bin the LGW. It would appear this place is running on headless chicken mode at the moment. No foresight, no real planning, knee jerk reactions on an almost daily basis.

natops
23rd Sep 2016, 06:25
Middle bid
Lhs 777
95 hrs
9 days off
Absolutely nothing I asked for.

Thank you EK, for pushing me to look for another job.

Rotating Bacon
23rd Sep 2016, 07:23
many are looking but nobody does the walk

alwayzinit
23rd Sep 2016, 07:23
natops, pretty much sums the situation up.
My applications went in yesterday...................................:ugh:
Yet the company have it within their power to stop the rot, but choose, for whatever reason, not to.
I would love for someone on the 9th floor to explain how, if a pilot flies his allocated share of the roster, why oh why can they not be allowed a roster to commute?
Just about every other expat staffed airline manage to provide this lifestyle enhancer, yet EK choose to continue with the proven failed current model and the exodus from both seats continues to accelerate.
And they call themselves "managers":ugh:

Panther 88
23rd Sep 2016, 08:17
natops, pretty much sums the situation up.
My applications went in yesterday...................................:ugh:
Yet the company have it within their power to stop the rot, but choose, for whatever reason, not to.
I would love for someone on the 9th floor to explain how, if a pilot flies his allocated share of the roster, why oh why can they not be allowed a roster to commute?
Just about every other expat staffed airline manage to provide this lifestyle enhancer, yet EK choose to continue with the proven failed current model and the exodus from both seats continues to accelerate.
And they call themselves "managers":ugh:
"Managers"? Managers are doing exactly what they're supposed to do. Maintain the status quo. Managers do not create change, they manage. Now leaders! That's a different story.

95 hrs, two ULRs, one turn, etc. 15 days off. Not too bad really. Very very generic bid. Bid areas only.

alwayzinit
23rd Sep 2016, 08:25
P 88

Indeed, though the Status Quo, is the continued deterioration of T+Cs and the growing snowball of leavers.

So "Good Job" then!

Kapitanleutnant
23rd Sep 2016, 12:22
Panther 88...

Obviously you're not being productive enough. I'd expect a call to visit the chief on your being a "lazy pilot" within a week or two perhaps?? :-)

Kap

fatbus
23rd Sep 2016, 13:44
777 complaints sounding very similar to the 330/340

Yorkshire_Pudding
23rd Sep 2016, 14:24
Didn't bid for anything and got a reasonable roster again second month running.

Flyboy_SG
24th Sep 2016, 03:39
45hrs flying 50 credit and ten days off in a row ! 2-3 days off in between trips.

thatwasclose
17th Mar 2017, 06:28
Credit where due . Boeing , high bid got everything , everything I asked for . A little shocked but happy .

5star
17th Mar 2017, 06:44
thatwasclose. what are you smoking?

I was top bid this month and I am quite senior now (for what its worth anyway) : I got ONE trip I asked for in the whole month. The worst roster ever with lovely layovers in India I never asked for and nearly 100 hours block and a massive 9 days off.
All I bid for was UK, EU and S-A and all I got was 1 nice trip and the rest f* all!

This month all I bid for was 2 days off. Guess what: I'm working what else did u expect....

In the old days I could have easily been happy with this in a bottom month, but nowadays :mad::mad::mad:

Payscale
17th Mar 2017, 07:56
Very Happy With ny roster

BANANASBANANAS
17th Mar 2017, 08:01
As the 'new normal' appears to be that pilots now get their rosters 2 weeks before the start of the next month, it does beg the question;

Why didn't they always do it?

Calmcavok
17th Mar 2017, 08:04
2nd top, 1 (low) request and no preferences.

Visual Procedures
17th Mar 2017, 08:14
I loved the pat on the back they gave themselves for awarding 1 day off before leave for most (not even all) that had leave in the April roster.

Nice one guys, a real achievement :rolleyes:

Donovan
17th Mar 2017, 09:02
hello,

General question, would EK consider an FO applicant with a total hours of 1800 and 1500 on narrow body jet MTOW above 20T?

Appreciate the comments.

Thanks

keepitrealok
17th Mar 2017, 09:55
Donovan,

The fact that you are asking that question despite the WEALTH of information saying stay the heck away from here means EK won't just consider you, they've already got your course date inked in.

:ok:

Schnowzer
17th Mar 2017, 09:57
Second top, pretty senior. Got one request I asked. Didn't ask for Russia or China oddly enough but got them both. Oh joy!

Calmcavok
17th Mar 2017, 10:23
I also have leave in April with 1 day off before. Woop!

They say they plan to continue with this, well gee, thanks! Mediocrity achieved and to be maintained.

Maybe they've forgotten that 5 days off before leave used to be achievable?

Jetkopite
17th Mar 2017, 11:29
Well I forgot to bid for April and was dreading the roster but to my shock it came out ok with 11 days off and 85hrs and trips that I bid for in my top months?????

I am happy but I dont understand as in top bids I get 8 days off with nothing I asked for and pretty senior...

Maybe ill forget to bid again next month but still cant wait to get the F@@k out of here..:ok:

I Claudius
17th Mar 2017, 15:54
87 hours, 10 days off and no India.

Oh, top bid and did not bid.

go46ball
17th Mar 2017, 15:59
B-777. Left seat. Top bid. 9 days off. 97.5 hours. Bags are being packed. Enough is enough.

glofish
17th Mar 2017, 16:05
Out of last 3 months, first 2 months NOT ONE preference awarded, this month 1! Bid help tell me I could not have done more to get preferences awarded!
I then look at eswap and find the flights I bid for were given to other people.

Exactly the same here.
The situation is despicable. That is the only word that comes to my mind. :ugh:

Calmcavok
17th Mar 2017, 16:30
Same same. Preferences should be seniority based, at least then there'll be some kind of system, rather than the "global" view within the bid group.

As it used to be before, n'est ce pas?!

Stjuk
17th Mar 2017, 18:26
2nd top, pretty senior FO.
Got one request and no preferences - increasing to 10 is worthless.

5star
17th Mar 2017, 19:21
Divide et imperar....and we know that only 1 guy is responsable for the mess we are in...
especially on the boeing, the combination of ULRs wih minimum rest combined with turns and layovers to the subcontinent resulting in rostercompression with less than 10 days off is unsustainable.
There is not a single reason to stay if you're on the tractor....

ooh yes, i will definately remind anyone I know considering joining about this aspect of the job. U really have to be out of your mind to join on the boeing.

Spoogie
17th Mar 2017, 21:01
Bottom Bid FO777 - works for me. Got what I wanted plus what I didn't want.

felixthecat
17th Mar 2017, 21:19
The extra request and preference merely allows them to publish statistics that show greater bid 'satisfaction' and appear to be giving more of what we want. If they gave us 50 requests and preferences they would be able to show nearly 100% 'satisfaction'.

Smoke and Mirrors

Divertnow
18th Mar 2017, 03:39
Very Happy With ny roster

How many hours and days off or leave did you get?

Divertnow
18th Mar 2017, 03:40
Bottom Bid FO777 - works for me. Got what I wanted plus what I didn't want.
Are you new at EK? Bottom bid and you got what you wanted. Did you bid for double Dohas and night Islamabads?

Divertnow
18th Mar 2017, 03:44
Terrible roster for 3 months running. Bring back the old bidding system please. This one doesn't work, and it's making people leave.

And cost cutting doesn't work when other departments can't stop spending.
Emirates unveils new Real Madrid A380 decal - Emirates 24|7 (http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/emirates-unveils-new-real-madrid-a380-decal-2017-03-17-1.649804)

The old system worked well (before they tweaked with it and put in too many restrictions).
I wonder if that 380 would ever be dispatched to Barcelona? It would almost be like painting the Spinnaker tower red and white 😂. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

keepitrealok
18th Mar 2017, 04:16
Left Seat. 14 days AL and 63hrs flying. Anybody who thinks that is reasonable needs their head read.

BANANASBANANAS
19th Mar 2017, 14:34
I can certainly see your point and have much sympathy for it.

However, consider the junior guys who are currently (in theory) sharing your roster pain. If senior guys are going to get more of what they bid for then logic dictates that the junior guys will get even less of what they bid for. All fine in theory but a worsening of the qol for the junior guys (all the junior capts will be bond free) may well be enough for them to quit and that will just make life even worse for everyone that is left.

I agree with your sentiments but they need to be applied imho only when we have sufficient pilot numbers. At the moment, despite lack of easy access to a seniority list, I think it is evident that we are very short of numbers.

This airline has reached, and gone thru 'critical mass' in its manpower problems imho and it is going to take something much more radical than incorporating seniority into roster bidding to fix.

BigGeordie
19th Mar 2017, 16:59
Difficult (if not impossible) to replace experience is walking out of the door every day. They need to think of something to keep it here and clearly the 3% 'discretionary' increment isn't going to do it.

If you know your roster will never ever get any better why stay?

felixthecat
19th Mar 2017, 17:10
Solve the recruitment by solving the retention.... treat us like humans not machines. If you don't the slippery slope is going to turn into a cliff....Though why I even write on here I have no idea. The powers that be obviously read and look at PPrune but pay exactly zero heed to what is staring them in the face. Once apathy sets in and people feel they have no part in the company and are not valued they look elsewhere. Like a stale marriage, the rot sets in and the unhappy partner looks elsewhere. The other airlines can smell the easy pickings and are swarming to Dubai to pick up experienced pilots that have been trained at EK expense. The mentality here is astounding at the moment.

EK will slowly turn into Gulf Air and Etihad/Qatar will take the mantle, till greed and poor management gets the better of them too.

BANANASBANANAS
19th Mar 2017, 17:29
The indigenous mentality tends to be not to bother maintaining and looking after anything. Rather, it seems to be a case of waiting until something is broken and then fix or replace it.

Time to fix attrition!

Laker
19th Mar 2017, 19:00
I have been seriously hacked of with this farce of a new roster system having recently got nothing I bid for. After discussing this at length, having heard that the roster planning manager apparently said repeatedly that seniority cannot be applied to the roster system "even if tasked" at the last forum, I was shown some of the stuff jeppesen puts online about the system and was interested to see this question in the blurb:

For senior crew the strict order must remain. Is it possible to award bids differently for junior crew?
You can use different assignment principles for various crew groups. For crew members with many service years the assignment of bids can remain very strict. For crew members with very few years of service it is possible to let seniority have an impact, but not be totally dominant.

Also there was this:
Equal distribution can be combined with preferential bidding in seniority order.

Have a look here http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/commercial/JeppesenCrewRostering.pdf

So correct me if I am wrong but the roster / planning bloke is a deceiving, misleading,psuedologist as seniority can be used in the preferential bidding system and seniority can also be applied throughout the system to keep the experienced guys a little happier? Yes I'm sure he's a decent bloke (:* ) and he's doing what he's told......however.......

Now if others have a look and concur with this, lets make sure they know it at the forum, write in etc. Seniority needs to be applied and not only for Captains, there are some pretty senior FOs delayed by age / aircraft type who are getting awful rosters as well!

Hope that all makes sense!

Of course Preferential Bidding can be programmed to honor seniority. That's exactly how it works at all the union airlines which use PBS bidding. The problem is that arrangement requires more pilots (less profit). As long as the planes get from point A to point B I don't think the top management at EK cares about 'roster satisfaction'.

LHR Rain
19th Mar 2017, 20:40
Do they care about pilots leaving?
As I said earlier even the Canadians are leaving Emirates. That should serve as a wake up call to the management.
When you pissed off the Canadians you've really gone low.

Jetkopite
20th Mar 2017, 09:16
I agree with above seniority should be respected to prevent them loosing all the experience left and right which is a dangerous game. In my opinion if you are in top 2 bid groups and senior there should be no excuses for not being able to write your own roster.

This issue has to be brought up at the next few roster meetings and forums..

felixthecat
20th Mar 2017, 09:37
Its very difficult to argue seniority with no seniority list !

Trader
20th Mar 2017, 10:32
The rotating bid system work very well under previous systems (until they began to interfere with it).

There is no need to go to a strict seniority system. However, the rotating system is now broken so everyone is miserable. If they would fix it so that it worked properly you would get essentially what you want in top groups and far less in bottom groups. If you are senior then you might get almost exactly what you want in top bids and some fairly good bottoms bids (due to relative seniority in your group).

FcU
21st Mar 2017, 03:54
5 bid groups. Bottom 4 rotate. Top 20% have earned the right to get what they bid for. Block of days before and after leave. No more 5 day blocks of "burn" leave. Discuss

felixthecat
21st Mar 2017, 05:28
Rosters are rubbish as we all know. My beef isn't where I go so much as what time I have off to enjoy with family. Until lifestyle makes an appearance then nothing changes, be it Milan, Rome or Dakar and Lagos, I want time to enjoy life!