PDA

View Full Version : Pilot arrested in Florida for flying too low

aa777888
9th Aug 2016, 22:09
Osceola helicopter pilot charged with flying recklessly (http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/8/5/osceola_deputies_arr.html)

Helicopter pilot arrested for buzzing cars (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/florida/osceola-county/pilot-arrested-after-flying-feet-from-cars-traveling-on-road)

Non-PC Plod
10th Aug 2016, 03:56
He said he had to fly that low as his load was too heavy....discuss.:suspect:

FlimsyFan
10th Aug 2016, 07:36
"Vorstman was arrested and charged with operating an aircraft in a reckless manner without violence. He was booked into the Osceola County Jail" - News Report

Was he arrested without violence, or was he operating without violence??

Is it possible to operate an aircraft 'with violence'??

The guy should never have been issued with a licence, as he quite clearly has scary eyes.

FF

Bell_ringer
10th Aug 2016, 09:41
The guy should never have been issued with a licence, as he quite clearly has scary eyes.
FF

I suspect he has many happy years flipping burgers ahead of him.
In the drive-through no one can see the eyes :}

Non-PC Plod
10th Aug 2016, 10:03
My handling was described as "agricultural" in training - I guess operating "with violence" would be just a couple of degrees less sensitive on the controls?

Lonewolf_50
10th Aug 2016, 13:05
Is it possible to operate an aircraft 'with violence'??
I recall a September morning not quite 15 years ago where that was done. See also "divine wind" as a point of reference.

If he was flying low, to take advantage of ground effect due to his load being so large, perhaps he can convince a judge that it was OK to do that. Not betting he can, but I suppose it won't hurt to try.

megan
10th Aug 2016, 15:36
perhaps he can convince a judge that it was OK to do thatFW cropduster I knew had a fondness for low flying, well he would, wouldn't he, except he did it when not cropdusting. Allegations were made by a witness to an episode where an aircraft was seen to fly beneath a bridge, so said cropduster was up before the beak. Not I says he, the wingspan of my aircraft is X feet, whereas the gap between the bridge pylons is X-Y feet, so my aircraft couldn't fit. Case dismissed. What was left out of the story was the fact that he side slipped through.

chopperchappie
10th Aug 2016, 15:45
"John Mollica, a manager of the Fallen Sparrow tattoo shop next door, who has taken a tour in that same helicopter says he's never a close call like this before."

There's just so much wrong with that short sentence !

army_av8r
10th Aug 2016, 22:05
Just to add some context to the picture in the news article. The fence you see in the news is the one surrounding the Helipad.

FLY 7
11th Aug 2016, 08:04
Low flying ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KwNaIRAXU

p_KwNaIRAXU

:eek:

Flying Binghi
11th Aug 2016, 08:30
Hmmm... looking at the pictures and vid in post #1 it looks like them R44's have shrunk a bit from what i remember. It certainly caint be the photo lies now do it. Look at the reporter putting his fingers up to measure how close the chopper is - Muppet reporter...:hmm:

So... which way were the wind blowing on the day, and how do all the surrounding structures and heavy vehicle traffic affect the wind.