PDA

View Full Version : RAF to defend Irish airspace

Just a spotter
8th Aug 2016, 08:30
According to a report in The Irish Examiner, 8th Aug, an agreement exists at governmental level whereby the RAF will "conduct armed operations in Irish sovereign or Irish-controlled airspace in the event of a real time or envisaged threat of a terrorist-related attack from the skies on either this country or a neighbouring state."

RAF tornado jets could shoot down hijacked planes in Irish airspace in event of terror attack | Irish Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/raf-tornado-jets-could-shoot-down-hijacked-planes-in-irish-airspace-in-event-of-terror-attack-414646.html)

Seems the Irish Air Corps won't be getting a capability upgrade any time soon if the service provision has been 'outsourced'.

JAS

tmmorris
8th Aug 2016, 08:39
If it's been outsourced does that mean the Irish are paying us for it?

TBM-Legend
8th Aug 2016, 09:35
with potatoes...

Finningley Boy
8th Aug 2016, 10:03
The Tornado Force are going to be a we bit stretched if they're going to be doing it.

FB:)

ORAC
8th Aug 2016, 10:07
The Tornado Force are going to be a we bit stretched if they're going to be doing it.

FB:ouch:Good thing AD is a Typhoon role then......

GeeRam
8th Aug 2016, 10:52
A couple of the two-seat Spits currently flying are ex-Irish Air Corps, maybe they'll ask for them back........:E

melmothtw
8th Aug 2016, 11:15
Quote:

FB
Good thing AD is a Typhoon role then......

I think that was what FB was saying...

chopper2004
8th Aug 2016, 12:52
According to a report in The Irish Examiner, 8th Aug, an agreement exists at governmental level whereby the RAF will "conduct armed operations in Irish sovereign or Irish-controlled airspace in the event of a real time or envisaged threat of a terrorist-related attack from the skies on either this country or a neighbouring state."

RAF tornado jets could shoot down hijacked planes in Irish airspace in event of terror attack | Irish Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/raf-tornado-jets-could-shoot-down-hijacked-planes-in-irish-airspace-in-event-of-terror-attack-414646.html)

Seems the Irish Air Corps won't be getting a capability upgrade any time soon if the service provision has been 'outsourced'.

JAS
I wonder if the Taoiseach been reading too much fiction then

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/longranger135/31HZDPVT4SL._BO1204203200__zpsvi4jvc3m.jpg

as the plot is basically the Mid East rogue states have a wee bit of an investment in the emerald isle and end up having a foothold....by force,

cheers

Tinribs
8th Aug 2016, 15:37
It has long been established practice that previous colonial powers are duty bound to previous colonies to provide them with certain services or facilitate their use. There is no law or treaty controlling this but it is recognized proper international behaviour.
This duty is often seen in ambassadorial, finance or military assistance modes.
For instance the UK provides flight training and military officer training for many ex colonies. We loaned Ireland a large sum of cash when it had problems during the finance crisis and so we should not be surprised when this assistance extends to other crisis situations,
The RNLI remains a single rescue organ covering Ireland and the UK. It suits us to be of assistance to nearby countries because it obviates their need to seek aid elsewhere.

Heathrow Harry
8th Aug 2016, 15:53
and gives us more space to zoom around in..........................

Tankertrashnav
8th Aug 2016, 16:04
Tinribs - I assume you are implying that Ireland is a former colony, in the way that perhaps Ghana, Nigeria or India are. The territory that is now the Republic of Ireland was of course formerly a constituent part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. My paternal grandfather who was born in Mullingar in the 1870s was a British citizen as much as my maternal grandfather who was born in Cornwall around the same time.

The fact that many Irishmen were unhappy to be part of the UK does not mean that they were colonials, whatever they might have thought.

Pontius Navigator
8th Aug 2016, 16:43
Tinribs, and Trinity House, and in Dublin yoiyoiy will find IIRC the Royal College of Surgeons.

TTN, and my mother too, but colony, never.

Pontius Navigator
8th Aug 2016, 16:46
I wonder if Ireland is on the air defence maps. In times past there was a blank area south of Ulster with CAP stations in concentric arcs from a couple of points in Wales.

"What about the Irish neutrality issue?"

"What about it?"

hoodie
8th Aug 2016, 17:37
Tinribs, that's why we train USAF exchange pilots, isn't it? :ok:

t43562
8th Aug 2016, 18:47
It sounds to me like the UK should be paying Ireland to use it's airspace whilst trying to prevent some threat reaching the UK.

Union Jack
8th Aug 2016, 18:54
Tinribs, and Trinity House, and in Dublin you will find IIRC the Royal College of Surgeons. - PN

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution and three "Royal" yacht clubs will also be found in Ireland, including the Royal Cork, which claims to be the oldest yacht club in the world, having been founded in 1720.:ok:

Jack

BEagle
8th Aug 2016, 20:03
Well, back in the 1980s I was certainly cleared direct across Eire when Bear chasing...

Tankertrashnav
8th Aug 2016, 21:57
A precedent for transiting through Irish airspace was the so-called "Donegal Corridor" in WW2 which permitted flying boats based on Lough Erne to gain access to the Atlantic without having to fly North before turning West. More info here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donegal_Corridor

SASless
9th Aug 2016, 00:32
I suppose that explains the British presence in places like Orlando, Las Vegas, and similar sunny locales in the USA?

Buster Hyman
9th Aug 2016, 04:48
It has long been established practice that previous colonial powers are duty bound to previous colonies to provide them with certain services or facilitate their use.
Sweet! We need a few new subs for the RAN thanks, and our Army band could do with a new woodwind section...:ok:

ImageGear
9th Aug 2016, 06:21
Would it not be expedient for Ireland to request the services of a fellow European member nation to take care of their defence requirement. Perhaps France would step up to the mark. :E

Imagegear

KiloB
9th Aug 2016, 07:07
Well at least Ireland is close enough for this to be a viable option in case of hijack etc. Wonder what plan NZ has with no cover at all?
KB

porch monkey
9th Aug 2016, 09:55
According to our esteemed contributor, John Hill, NZ has no need of such considerations.

Finningley Boy
9th Aug 2016, 10:15
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/247968/exclusive-leuchars-to-expand-and-be-central-to-uk-defence-plans/

There isn't much said in this article, but there is certainly food for thought?!

Could be related?

FB:)

Royalistflyer
9th Aug 2016, 21:43
Those Pilatus could be the very devil if they ever tangled with a Typhoon.

West Coast
10th Aug 2016, 05:12
It has long been established practice that previous colonial powers are duty bound to previous colonies to provide them with certain services or facilitate their use. There is no law or treaty controlling this but it is recognized proper international behaviour.

'Cept for hunting ruskie subs, and then the phones in former colonies with proper ASW assets ring.